Duke4.net Forums: Adding models to DukePlus - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Adding models to DukePlus

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Recently a lot of models were added to DukePlus because of DNE. There is now a selection of vehicles and other models in DukePlus for mappers to use. Most of them have correct clipping areas thanks to the clipshape system by Helixhorned and the clipshape map that DanM made for the models. In addition to DNE, I know of at least one project that is making use of them.

Now I am in the process of adding even more models, because there is still a lot of stuff lacking. A good selection of trees, for example. I am simply going through various Duke TCs (both released an unreleased) and taking models that look useful.

However, I don't want to waste a lot of time and increase the size of DukePlus for stuff that no one will use. So what I want to know is, who out there would make maps for DukePlus that use these models? Also, for those who are interested, what models would you like to see added?

User is offline   Mark 

For sure trees and bushes. Most stuff I have run across has been either real cheesy looking low poly stuff or real high end stuff with 10-20,000 polys. Not much in between.

Rocks and boulders would be good too.

A few styles of furniture modern and old. Mainly chairs and desks.

This post has been edited by Marked: 17 June 2011 - 11:04 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMarked, on 17 June 2011 - 11:02 AM, said:

For sure trees and bushes. Most stuff I have run across has been either real cheesy looking low poly stuff or real high end stuff with 10-20,000 polys. Not much in between.

Rocks and boulders would be good too.

A few styles of furniture modern and old. Mainly chairs and desks.

I can do that. It's not a bad idea to have a mix of low and mid-poly models. The low poly ones can be spammed in the distance where they won't look too bad or bring down the frame rate much. What makes a model look cheesy is more often a low quality skin than the number of polygons, though.

User is offline   Mark 

I agree. Although some of the low poly count ones I have seen are basically 3 or 4 criss-crossed flat sprites.

EDIT: By the way, I don't know if you ever downloaded my unfinished Ancient Rome TC. If you did, feel free to use any of the models from it. I'm pretty sure the download link in the old thread is still active

This post has been edited by Marked: 17 June 2011 - 12:09 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Yeah, feel free to use any models/textures/sounds from here.

https://edukeredaler...ukeredalert/RA/

Unsure though if most of the models would fit in, but there are a lot of normal nature type textures and a few rocks and trees in there.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 17 June 2011 - 02:49 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostThe Commander, on 17 June 2011 - 02:47 PM, said:

Yeah, feel free to use any models/textures/sounds from here.

https://edukeredaler...ukeredalert/RA/

Unsure though if most of the models would fit in, but there are a lot of normal nature type textures and a few rocks and trees in there.

Thanks, that's very helpful.

LOL, that second boulder is fucking HUGE at that scale, it's like a small mountain.

View PostDeeperThought, on 17 June 2011 - 03:48 PM, said:

Thanks, that's very helpful.

LOL, that second boulder is fucking HUGE at that scale, it's like a small mountain.

It worked for what I was using it for, heh
Posted Image
Easy enough to scale down of course.

You think that one was big, look at the size of this one.
Posted Image
They look like deformed tits!

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Yeah, I think those will be quite useful with clipshapes.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

What about resizable inclined planes and colums, with different textures (metal,wood,rust,etc.) I think these may have really useful applications when mapping like no other model, at least as visual props.

This post has been edited by Norvak: 17 June 2011 - 05:38 PM

User is offline   Mark 

That cliff face model also works good on a small scale. I tried it out in my map and it gives a more natural rounded look to break up the "squareness" of things. Placing a few more here and there should help a lot. I'll probably make up a few that fit a little better where I need to put them. Thanks Commander for the idea.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMarked, on 17 June 2011 - 05:38 PM, said:

That cliff face model also works good on a small scale. I tried it out in my map and it gives a more natural rounded look to break up the "squareness" of things. Placing a few more here and there should help a lot. I'll probably make up a few that fit a little better where I need to put them. Thanks Commander for the idea.

That's cool, but there are thousands of possible textures and only a small number that can be assigned to the model. Which textures should be defined on the model?

Just to note, if you try using the "barbed wire" model it really only works properly in Polymer, in Polymost if you view the wire from a certain angle the wire parts disappear.

The sandbag would be a good model to pick as well, pretty much all these models are of a low poly as well.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostThe Commander, on 17 June 2011 - 09:57 PM, said:

The sandbag would be a good model to pick as well, pretty much all these models are of a low poly as well.

Yeah I have already added the sandbags and some other models from Dukearmy -- I'm assuming the sandbag model in your mod is the same one.

It's too bad that the mapster tile selector is all fucked up (with horrible flickering making it difficult to see) because I wanted to add some DP tile groups, but it seems pointless right now.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostDeeperThought, on 17 June 2011 - 10:15 PM, said:

It's too bad that the mapster tile selector is all fucked up (with horrible flickering making it difficult to see) because I wanted to add some DP tile groups, but it seems pointless right now.

Er, setting lazytileselector=0 in mapster32.cfg doesn't fix it for you?

View PostDeeperThought, on 17 June 2011 - 10:15 PM, said:

Yeah I have already added the sandbags and some other models from Dukearmy -- I'm assuming the sandbag model in your mod is the same one.

No mine came from a different game.

User is offline   Mark 

View PostDeeperThought, on 17 June 2011 - 07:11 PM, said:

That's cool, but there are thousands of possible textures and only a small number that can be assigned to the model. Which textures should be defined on the model?

Yes, thats one problem. My first thought is tile 0240 which I think is a good generic rock texture. But another problem is getting the texture size of the model to blend in with the wall texture surrounding it in the map. As you change the model size to fit, the texture size of the model also changes and will not match up with it's surroundings. I know in some cases you can re-adjust the wall texture to match the model but in some cases might not be feasible.In my earlier screenshot I had to adjust the skin of the model a few times to get it to match with the walls.

And in the case of tile 0240 or others that have a normal map, that would need to be added in.

This post has been edited by Marked: 18 June 2011 - 05:03 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHelixhorned, on 18 June 2011 - 01:11 AM, said:

Er, setting lazytileselector=0 in mapster32.cfg doesn't fix it for you?

Oh, I was supposed to know that? If that fixes it, then shouldn't the cfg be that way by default? I know of others who have the same issue and this is the first I have heard of a solution.

EDIT: It is only a partial fix. The selector has visual lag and flickering every time the cursor is moved. But with lazytileselector=0, it settles down after a moment.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I have uploaded a new version of DukePlus that has some new models. It's an interim version, and I'll be updating it again in a few days when I have some new clipshapes and some other stuff ready. Despite the new models, it's actually 16MB smaller than the previous version, because I removed some unused stuff and reduced color depth on some skins.

-most of the models now have preview pics for the mapster tile selector (thanks to Mia Max!)

Here is what I added:

-various tree models (tiles 6232-6236, 6244-6246
-a fern 6237
-a hires fog sprite 6238
-scrap metal barrier 6239
-sandbag barrier 6240
-land mine 6241 (not coded yet)
-anti-aircraft gun 6242 (not coded yet)
-boulders 6247, 6248
-couches: 6249-6251
-beds: 6252-6254
-park bench 6255
-kitchen appliances 5286-5289

the models with preview pics are numbers 5240-5363

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostDeeperThought, on 18 June 2011 - 08:48 AM, said:

Oh, I was supposed to know that? If that fixes it, then shouldn't the cfg be that way by default? I know of others who have the same issue and this is the first I have heard of a solution.

EDIT: It is only a partial fix. The selector has visual lag and flickering every time the cursor is moved. But with lazytileselector=0, it settles down after a moment.

It was a long-standing bug discussed in the Mapster issues thread, and since the cfg variable fixed it for Forge, I assumed it did so for everyone else. What do you mean by "visual lag"?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHelixhorned, on 20 June 2011 - 01:51 AM, said:

It was a long-standing bug discussed in the Mapster issues thread, and since the cfg variable fixed it for Forge, I assumed it did so for everyone else. What do you mean by "visual lag"?

What I mean is that, even with lazytileselector=0, after moving the cursor to the new position, the cursor could still be seen in the old position. When scrolling down through the tiles, it would be a mess with overlapping tiles, like the new stuff was getting drawn but the old stuff was not being erased. However, this isn't happening with latest build, so I guess it is all fixed now.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options