Duke4.net Forums: Problem with unreasonable frame rate drops on systems with AMD multicore processors solved! - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Problem with unreasonable frame rate drops on systems with AMD multicore processors solved!

User is offline   Alithinos 

When I installed the game,I was surprised that I couldn't max out the game's graphics as I did in the demo.

In the demo I could turn textures and shadows on ULTRA and enable FXAA while keeping a playable frame rate.
When I got the full game I had to drop the textures and shadows to HIGH and disable Antialiasing all together,and even then occasionally the frame rate dropped very low some times.

My computer is this:
Phenom 2x2 555 @ 3.2Ghz
Ram 2gb ddr3
Ati HD 4850

Looking in the game's files I found a readme.txt file of the Dual Core optimizer.
The Dual Core optimizer is a software that DNF installs automatically if it sees that you have an AMD processor,no matter what lmodel you have.

Reading AMD's readme I found out that this software was made long ago for first generation Athlon processors.
Since I have a second generation Phenom and the software was for first generation Athlons,I decided to remove this program from my computer,and then run DNF to see if anything different happened.

AND VOILA !!!!

I can turn FXAA on, and texture quality to ULTRA as also shadow quality,without suffering ridiculous frame rate and lag. :D
Yet another thing that is supposed to make things better turns out to making things worse...
:D

This post has been edited by Alithinos: 17 June 2011 - 09:00 AM

User is offline   ch108 

View PostAlithinos, on 17 June 2011 - 08:46 AM, said:

When I installed the game,I was surprised that I couldn't max out the game's graphics as I did in the demo.

In the demo I could turn textures and shadows on ULTRA and enable FXAA while keeping a playable frame rate.
When I got the full game I had to drop the textures and shadows to HIGH and disable Antialiasing all together,and even then occasionally the frame rate dropped very low some times.

My computer is this:
Phenom 2x2 555 @ 3.2Ghz
Ram 2gb ddr3
Ati HD 4850

Looking in the game's files I found a readme.txt file of the Dual Core optimizer.
The Dual Core optimizer is a software that DNF installs automatically if it sees that you have an AMD processor,no matter what lmodel you have.

Reading AMD's readme I found out that this software was made long ago for first generation Athlon processors.
Since I have a second generation Phenom and the software was for first generation Athlons,I decided to remove this program from my computer,and then run DNF to see if anything different happened.

AND VOILA !!!!

I can turn FXAA on, and texture quality to ULTRA as also shadow quality,without suffering ridiculous frame rate and lag. :D
Yet another thing that is supposed to make things better turns out to making things worse...
:D

I have an Athlon X2 6000+ Dual Core and this worked a treat thanks :D

Lame testing by Gearbox

User is offline   Alithinos 

View Postch108, on 17 June 2011 - 10:31 AM, said:

I have an Athlon X2 6000+ Dual Core and this worked a treat thanks :D

I'm happy that it worked. :D
But isn't x2 6000+ a first generation Athlon ? :D

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Weird... I have the dual core optimizer installed and I have a Phenom II x4 955BE @ 4.0 GHz and no such problems to speak of.

User is offline   randir14 

I think the dual core optimizer is only designed for people with Windows XP. It's worthless for anyone using Vista or 7.

This post has been edited by randir14: 17 June 2011 - 11:29 AM

User is offline   trackit 

View PostTX, on 17 June 2011 - 11:26 AM, said:

Weird... I have the dual core optimizer installed and I have a Phenom II x4 955BE @ 4.0 GHz and no such problems to speak of.

you dont have dual core cpu either :D

i have Phenom II x4 965 and i uninstalled this thing also cause there is no use for my cpu.

This post has been edited by trackit: 17 June 2011 - 11:32 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

It's not just for dual core CPUs, despite the name. It was also updated for Vista/7 at some point a while back so it must still have some function that it performs on such platforms. It is however likely that the hardware bugs that made DCO necessary have been fixed in k10 based hardware, but who knows if the issue still comes up with a k10 on a board with an older chipset...

User is offline   Romulus 

It changes something within the system that affects windows XP the most, on the other hand, as long as you keep your power management settings to balanced on windows vista and or windows 7, there is absolutely no need for the dual core optimizer software regardless of whatever AMD processor you might have. What I don't understand is, how come gearbox bundled such a software along with the game that even gets installed on intel system and affects performance mostly on intel dual core based systems, very ridiculous in my opinion, the game's setup should've come with some kind of a hardware detector, which, if found intel's device id present on pc, would skip the dual core optimizer, but I guess they were in too hurry to release the game.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options