Duke4.net Forums: Anyone beat Insane mode yet? - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anyone beat Insane mode yet?

Yeah! Beat it too! I also looked out for all the phones, because that was the other achievement I didn't have yet. Now it's "100%, baby!" :) First game where I actually achieved that.

View PostDavoX, on 30 June 2011 - 07:41 AM, said:

Actually I'm stuck at the fucking octaking. The god damned octabrains need 2 pipebombs and then some ripper to get them out. Maybe we played a different game? Also bear in mind I'm trying to get Gunslinger achievement here, So I only have one weapon. I use the pistol occasionally for sniping.

Damn I know what your going through, I found the Octaking tough on regular difficulty, I tried it on Insane, and I think it's impossible. There is no cover I found, and when octabrains blast you it is a damn nightmire.

For me the actual boss wasn't bad, it was his goddamn octabrain companions!!

The octakingds attack is actually quite similiar to the projectiles shot with eduke. It faces duke but a bit ahead. Like if you strife to the right. Then his attack will end but just the place where duke would be if he kept strafing right. So you just have to strafe right when he shoots the beam, and then strafe left before it hits. You can dodge his attack with the back to him just by hearing when he shoots.

Ah how clever.

I'm gonna try that, could be very useful.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Yeah, the battle is very simple and easy once you get rid of the minions.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I had no idea the octabrains were getting such a promotion from their Duke 3D counterparts. It might just be experience from years of playing the game but I think the Duke 3D octabrains are really easy to dodge and kill. Now in DNF they're flying all over the place, hardly staying in the same spot. Shorter range weapons like the shotgun and freezer are useless because most of the time you're stuck behind a barrier when fighting them and you can't get close enough to deal serious damage. In addition to that, their attacks are next to impossible to avoid, and add ontop of THAT you can't even use the more powerful weapons like the devestator or RPG because they fire the rockets right back at you.

That's not fun, that's annoying. Give me the good ol' Duke 3D octabrains any day.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

I think the Octabrains are awesome. You can never treat them as irrelevant, kinda like the Skaarj in Unreal.

View PostMicky C, on 07 July 2011 - 04:29 AM, said:

I had no idea the octabrains were getting such a promotion from their Duke 3D counterparts. It might just be experience from years of playing the game but I think the Duke 3D octabrains are really easy to dodge and kill. Now in DNF they're flying all over the place, hardly staying in the same spot. Shorter range weapons like the shotgun and freezer are useless because most of the time you're stuck behind a barrier when fighting them and you can't get close enough to deal serious damage. In addition to that, their attacks are next to impossible to avoid, and add ontop of THAT you can't even use the more powerful weapons like the devestator or RPG because they fire the rockets right back at you.

That's not fun, that's annoying. Give me the good ol' Duke 3D octabrains any day.

I know what you mean, it SO annoying. But yeah when you first get to fight octabrains I kept dying because I kept forgetting not to use the RPG or even pipebombs. Which of course lead to a lot of cheap deaths :P As well as developing a hatred for the new freezer as it wasn't anywhere close to useful expect on pigcops. (Which I notice don't like reacting to bullets, even with a point blank shot with the shotgun it takes 2 shots to kill them because they're magically impervious to your first shot. :) )

But yeah I'd take the old Duke 3D octabrains anyday, especially the cool noise they made LOL.

View PostMikko_Sandt said:

I think the Octabrains are awesome.

Design wise yeah.

Yea the old noice = ears explode xD
I think it's great that they improved the octabrain that much. They have such a great model.

• Honored Donor

I recently had a bit of motivation to go back and try the game on insane mode. I forgot how annoying it was, in Duke 3D the assault troopers were fun cannon fodder, yet in DNF they're actually quite tedious and frustrating. It seems as though after you take one shot at them, they teleport away, and then you have to wait for up to half a minute for them to reappear, take another shot at them and they disappear then the whole process repeats itself for several minutes. It was fun when they teleported in Duke 3D because only a tiny portion of them could do it, and even then they didn't do it very much, yet in DNF all of them can do it and they do it all the time.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

It's insane mode for a reason... also half a minute ? exaggerating much?

This post has been edited by DavoX: 20 July 2011 - 06:26 AM

Well some games with the game mode "insane" are insanely easy. Even on "insane".

• Honored Donor

I said up to half a minute. And there's a difference between being hard and being long and tedious. I'm told that the only real difference between the final boss on insane mode and other modes is that it takes much longer, not that it's really any harder. So I'm not just pulling this from nowhere, the 'long and tedious' was used in other places in the game as well.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostMicky C, on 20 July 2011 - 07:48 PM, said:

I said up to half a minute. And there's a difference between being hard and being long and tedious. I'm told that the only real difference between the final boss on insane mode and other modes is that it takes much longer, not that it's really any harder. So I'm not just pulling this from nowhere, the 'long and tedious' was used in other places in the game as well.

This pretty much describes the final boss but of course the minions, particularly the weaponless Pig Cops, are a bit more considerable threat on Insane. (Well, okay, in fact, if it weren't for the weaponless Pigs the battle wouldn't be a challenge at all.)

But it's just one boss. Otherwise the Insane mode relies not just on being longer and more tedious (there's a lot of that too, of course). The turret scenes are an obvious example. They're simply more unforgivable on Insane. For example, the Mothership battle is maybe the hardest part because all it takes is one beam from those small ships to kill you.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options