Duke4.net Forums: Gamespot gives the PC version a score of 3.5 - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gamespot gives the PC version a score of 3.5  "If you still hold any stake in their reviews..."

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

  • Glory To Motherland!

#31

View Postthemaniacboy, on 15 June 2011 - 09:21 AM, said:

I think all the reviewers that give DNF below 5 are just assholes.
Everytime i read the "so called" reviews they just piss me off how fucking dumbasses they can be.


No surprise to me. There are a lot of assholes and dumbasses in this world. Professional reviewing sites are hardly exempt from them.

Remember how every professional reviewer in existence practically had a simultaneous orgasm over Half-Life 2 when it came out, mostly because the game felt "new". Though all reviewers tend to analyze a game carefully, the vast majority of them go with their gut reactions.

This post has been edited by The Mighty Bison: 15 June 2011 - 09:31 AM

0

#32

Maybe this is a good thing.

The game will drop in price a lot faster, so more people will be able to buy it.

By the time that happens, we'll have all the editing tools and some cool mods.
0

User is offline   Mikko 

  • Honored Donor

#33

View PostThe Mighty Bison, on 15 June 2011 - 09:30 AM, said:


Remember how every professional reviewer in existence practically had a simultaneous orgasm over Half-Life 2 when it came out, mostly because the game felt "new". Though all reviewers tend to analyze a game carefully, the vast majority of them go with their gut reactions.


The point of this comparison being...? Half-Life 2 was amazing when it came out. It's still amazing. Hell, that's why DNF stole from it (physics puzzles, driving segments...).
0

User is offline   A BOMB 

#34

View PostSinisterambo, on 15 June 2011 - 09:18 AM, said:

The game was supposed to come out April 1st 2010.

Yeah i agree there isnt as much action in it. The game was cut to fuck, gearbox should have finished the levels and took and extra year or so to make it better. Like make it slightly faster, by about 15%, proper gore as George promised and just recently i saw a pre release interview with a guy from Gearbox and he stated there was an area 51 level in the game. Randy stated several times that there would not be anything cut out of the game level wise and released later as DLC. I don't want to slag Randy off or call him names but FFS do you think we forget things about this game Randy? No we fucking don't so you had better go about fixing this game ASAP or the few Duke fans that are left are going to jump ship. Bring back our Duke, your re-envisioned Duke just isn't up to scratch. You should have employed George to tell your guys what to fix and what to leave the fuck alone. For example, George wouldn't have had women writing Duke's lines.

Jace Hall stated in 08 when he played it for an hour or so that it was Duke, well that was before any voice had been recorded. This new Duke doesn't make me laugh much, doesn't wow me with how awesome he is much. In fact... *bites tongue*. Ill let the world know what happened in 09 if you don't fix this. Stop pretending.


But would it have felt like a 2010 game? As it stands now the finished product looks like something started in 2005, when Half-Life 2 was at the height of its popularity and games weren't overly scripted like they are now (a design decision popularized by Modern Warfare in 2007).
It feels like it should have come out in 2007 tops. There was this rumor that 3DRealms spent their time and money doing nothing but playing World of Warcraft instead of working on the game and that's why, alongside George wanting every gimmick to be in the game, Duke Nukem Forever took so long to be developed. I wouldn't be surprised if this were true as everything in this game screams "here's what we worked on for a couple of hours each day for 6 (ignoring previous builds here) years in-between doing nothing."

Gearbox probably knew it wasn't going to be anything more than a mediocre game and released it to recoup the money 2K lost by investing in it. I'm sure the next title in the Duke Nukem franchise will be a million times better than this. It's a shame that after ten years of no new Duke titles what we get is that terrible DS trilogy title and the throughly average Forever.

Randy is a liar, by the way. He said Borderlands was going to be a proper PC game when it was an obvious port. His job is to sell you the game by spouting bullshit.
0

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

  • Glory To Motherland!

#35

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 15 June 2011 - 10:18 AM, said:

The point of this comparison being...? Half-Life 2 was amazing when it came out. It's still amazing. Hell, that's why DNF stole from it (physics puzzles, driving segments...).


The majority of reviewers aren't concerned about objectively analyzing gameplay, although Half-Life 2 was an amazing game. They are more concerned with how new and flashy a game looks. That was one of the main points of contention with DNF - the game looks "old".
0

User is offline   Ronin 

#36

View PostJhect, on 15 June 2011 - 06:05 AM, said:

On the gamefaqs site. duke nukem forever is now number 1 in top 10 games and top 10 wanted faqs. This is what we have to look at.

You only have to look to yourself to see how enjoyable the game is, Im on second play though on hard and it gets much better with that difficulty which I find challanging.

I have to rub my eyes every time I see a real bad review for DNF, I wonder did these guy actually want to hate the game? Is Dukes crude personality too much for some sausage swallowers to handle? Is the game too "sick" as some reviewers have said?
I think a lot of these fags tearing the game down are angry about Duke mocking their prize games and they let them feeling get in the way of the reviews because they dont understand Duke.

Duke isnt saying Halo is shit, quiet the opposite in fact the devs in 3D only mocked games they sort of respected like DOOM, Quake. So these guys clearly dont get the Duke, ok the COD thing at the end was an insult I think and a good one too, Gearboxs doing methinks.

I love the game as a great game, never mind the expectations that it could never live up to enjoy it for what it is a damn fun game with replayablity, the combats so much fun, and I love some of that funky monster music.

Duke is being lynched by a bunch of fags and sheep, my bro for example never believed DNF would come out and called me a fool for believing, when the pics started surfacing he said it looked shit and would be crap.....he is one of those people who wanted the game to fail and I honestly dont know why. He was actually happy that DNF got raped in the reviews, this people, is the mentality you are dealing with.

If people dont want to like the game, they wont, they cant.
2

User is offline   A BOMB 

#37

Yeah bro, if those filthy faggots where heteros instead they would totally like the electronic entertainment product Duke Nukem Forever all of a sudden.
-1

User is offline   WedgeBob 

#38

Yeah, how many times do I have to tell these review guys...THIS GAME WAS BUILT WITH THE PC IN MIND FIRST!!! Therefore, this should be the platform with the best reviews. That's the thing, these big review sites are just too console biased. THE PC IS NOT A CONSOLE!!! :grrr:
0

User is offline   Ronin 

#39

View PostA BOMB, on 15 June 2011 - 12:42 PM, said:

Yeah bro, if those filthy faggots where heteros instead they would totally like the electronic entertainment product Duke Nukem Forever all of a sudden.

I didnt mean to sound lke a gay basher. I couldnt give a crap about gays, Im just saying some of the more senitive types would be offended by Duke, hes a pretty exteme guy.
0

User is offline   Yatta 

  • Pizza Lawyer

  #40

View PostCryptKiller, on 15 June 2011 - 02:15 AM, said:

Same here. I chuckled when saw that on mainpage, Yatta listed only the 100% positive reviews from various magazines/sites. Classy.


None of the reviews were near 100%, but yes, I only listed the ones which I felt were reflective of how THIS fan community feels about the game. And guess what? It turns out I was right--most people here give the game at least an 8, just like in the reviews I posted. :D

As I noted on the comments section of that news item, I'm not about to pull a Rush Limbaugh if I'm representing the White House.
0

User is offline   Ronin 

#41

View PostYatta, on 15 June 2011 - 01:09 PM, said:

None of the reviews were near 100%, but yes, I only listed the ones which I felt were reflective of how THIS fan community feels about the game. And guess what? It turns out I was right--most people here give the game at least an 8, just like in the reviews I posted. :D

As I noted on the comments section of that news item, I'm not about to pull a Rush Limbaugh if I'm representing the White House.

Well there is enough Duke bashing going on at Gearbox to more than make up for it. Troll heaven.
0

User is offline   Mikko 

  • Honored Donor

#42

View PostThe Mighty Bison, on 15 June 2011 - 11:07 AM, said:

The majority of reviewers aren't concerned about objectively analyzing gameplay, although Half-Life 2 was an amazing game. They are more concerned with how new and flashy a game looks. That was one of the main points of contention with DNF - the game looks "old".


Rubbish. The critics have been pretty much equally displeased with DNF's gameplay, calling it dull and uninspiring. As I have said before, there's no tradeoff between graphics and gameplay anyway so you can't justify subpar graphics with "good" gameplay.

Besides, graphics have a considerable effect on gameplay. I started playing Halo: Reach today and it has some amazing visuals. I often stop simply to marvel at its beauty. While playing DNF I often stopped to see the settings menu in case I had missed some video setting that'd make the game look better because I couldn't believe how subpar it looked.
0

#43

They should of had one of us there at 3DRealms as QC. If only John Carmack had of told everyone about his methods sooner. And i don't mean DooM 3

This post has been edited by Sinisterambo: 15 June 2011 - 04:16 PM

0

User is offline   A BOMB 

#44

View PostRipemanewone, on 15 June 2011 - 01:09 PM, said:

I didnt mean to sound lke a gay basher. I couldnt give a crap about gays, Im just saying some of the more senitive types would be offended by Duke, hes a pretty exteme guy.


Gay =/ sensible.

I don't know where the complaint comes from either since his issues are 99% gameplay related.

Yes, you liked the game, but I assume most people in this community really like the Duke Nukem games to be part of it. I like the game too, but what about recommending it to someone who has never ever heard of Duke Nukem or who never held any sort of attachment towards the franchise? This is where critics come in, and unfortunately, if you don't like Duke you aren't missing much by skipping this game.

It's a shame because with the failure of this game people will think that "old school gameplay doesn't hold up compared to Halo/Call of Duty", when in reality Duke Nukem Forever is a failure because it rips off every single modern shooter and ignores its classic roots with the exception of the main character.
0

User is offline   SavagE 

#45

gs' 3,5 isnt that bad, guys!

Edge and EuroGamer gave it 3/10 and Destructoid gave an "F" (which meta presents as 0/10)
0

User is offline   Kathy 

#46

View PostA BOMB, on 15 June 2011 - 10:59 AM, said:

There was this rumor that 3DRealms spent their time and money doing nothing but playing World of Warcraft instead of working on the game

Rumor my ass. It was joke made by Scott/George on Jace Hall show when he asked them why the game was taking so long.

View PostSavagE, on 15 June 2011 - 05:07 PM, said:

gs' 3,5 isnt that bad, guys! Edge and EuroGamer gave it 3/10 and Destructoid gave an "F" (which meta presents as 0/10)

Dtoid gave it 2/10.

This post has been edited by Helel: 15 June 2011 - 09:01 PM

0

User is offline   Piano Man 

#47

View PostMr.Deviance, on 14 June 2011 - 11:41 PM, said:

The game definitely deserves more than a 3 but like I've said immediately after IGN gave that shitty rating, now that IGN made the step, every single one of the coward game review sites are going to follow in it's steps and ignorantly give it bad ratings just to make a trend.


Are you fucking nuts?? The game deserved a 3 at best...

Let's see... For a game that was in development for 13 fucking years - we got the same fucking weapons as Duke Nukem 3D (and not a single new one - turrets not included), most of the same fucking enemies (the PigCop, Octobrain, Assault Captain, Battlelord, Cycloid Emperor) and most of the same fucking audio quotes from 15 years ago. Ues there were a few new ones thrown in - but most of them were bloody crap... (I told you I'd kill you last - I lied) - truly a badly ripped off quote from Commando, and (America, Fuck Yeah)...

So what we got was a game that has almost the exact same bloody content from a 15-year old classic with crappy animations, but with better graphics.

Was possibly one of the worst games I've played in a while. Although it was a gift from someone who has taking the piss out of how long it took to complete it and thought it would be funny to buy the game for me as a joke - I installed it - I beat it once, uninstalled it and traded the game in 4 days later. Not worth the money.



And this is coming from someone who played Duke Nukem 3D for years quite contently, while building maps for the game. Duke Nukem Zero hour dozens of times, and Duke Nukem Manhattan Project. I was a Duke Nukem fan - and now I've completely given up the whole series. Until they actually start making a proper Duke Nukem game - I will not be buying a single Duke game ever.

And if you fanboy fanatics are just giving it thumbs up simply because the game is completed... then you need to re-evaluate how you rate this crap.

I won't be back to this forum. This game has just pretty much killed my love for the series Duke Nukem.



RIP!

This post has been edited by Piano Man: 15 June 2011 - 09:58 PM

-2

User is offline   SavagE 

#48

View PostHelel, on 15 June 2011 - 08:58 PM, said:

Rumor my ass. It was joke made by Scott/George on Jace Hall show when he asked them why the game was taking so long.


Dtoid gave it 2/10.


oh sorry, i meant 1up : )


and it looks like they REALLY had been playing wow all the time. THe game looks and feels rushed.
0

#49

View PostPiano Man, on 15 June 2011 - 09:49 PM, said:

Are you fucking nuts??

No, I'm Mr.Deviance, nice to meet you.

View PostPiano Man, on 15 June 2011 - 09:49 PM, said:

The game deserved a 3 at best...

Your opinion, Not mine...

View PostPiano Man, on 15 June 2011 - 09:49 PM, said:

we got the same fucking weapons as Duke Nukem 3D (and not a single new one - turrets not included)

Hmm weird. Maybe you would like to go and actually play Duke 3D because last I checked, in Duke 3D there was no Enforcer gun no At Laser weapon, no At Captain Laser weapon and definitely don't remember any Railgun gun either.
So how many new weapons are there in DNF? That's right there are 4 new weapons and if you are willing to count the golden pistol as a new weapon that wasn't in Duke 3D then you have 5 new weapons for DNF.
Wow you are right, DNF seems to have exact same weapons from Duke 3d and not even one new weapon with the exception of the 5 new ones...

View PostPiano Man, on 15 June 2011 - 09:49 PM, said:

(I told you I'd kill you last - I lied) - truly a badly ripped off quote from Commando, and (America, Fuck Yeah)...

Wow, Duke Nukem has started ripping off quotes nowdays? Wow who would have thought that Duke Nukem uses ripped off quotes, man DNF truly sucks now that I know he is using ripped off quotes from movies or... Aww wait...

View PostPiano Man, on 15 June 2011 - 09:49 PM, said:

So what we got was a game that has almost the exact same bloody content from a 15-year old classic with crappy animations, but with better graphics.

No mate, that's what you got, I've definitely got something different!

View PostPiano Man, on 15 June 2011 - 09:49 PM, said:

Was possibly one of the worst games I've played in a while. Although it was a gift from someone who has taking the piss out of how long it took to complete it and thought it would be funny to buy the game for me as a joke - I installed it - I beat it once, uninstalled it and traded the game in 4 days later. Not worth the money.

Better luck next time. If you are so upset maybe you should quit gaming if you don't afford to take the risk of buying a bad game just like everybody else.
I've took the risk and I don't regret it. When I bought the game I knew exactly what I was getting simply by watching the media and playing the demo.

View PostPiano Man, on 15 June 2011 - 09:49 PM, said:

And this is coming from someone who played Duke Nukem 3D for years quite contently, while building maps for the game. Duke Nukem Zero hour dozens of times, and Duke Nukem Manhattan Project.

Judging by the fact that you don't know what weapons Duke 3D has, I am very skeptical about your statement.
I don't really know if I should believe you, it's a bit fishy hmm. I will think more before considering if I believe you or not, ok?

View PostPiano Man, on 15 June 2011 - 09:49 PM, said:

I will not be buying a single Duke game ever.

Not even a single Duke game? never ever ever so ever?
How about 2 Duke games then, or maybe 3?

View PostPiano Man, on 15 June 2011 - 09:49 PM, said:

I won't be back to this forum.

Aww you won't be back to THIS forum? Damn and I was hoping you will be back to at least read this nice reply that I've made... :D

View PostPiano Man, on 15 June 2011 - 09:49 PM, said:

RIP!

WHAT, WHERE? Who died WHERE??? :D

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 15 June 2011 - 10:44 PM

1

User is offline   X-Vector 

#50

View PostMr.Deviance, on 15 June 2011 - 10:41 PM, said:

Hmm weird. Maybe you would like to go and actually play Duke 3D because last I checked, in Duke 3D there was no Enforcer gun no At Laser weapon, no At Captain Laser weapon and definitely don't remember any Railgun gun either.


His basic argument still stands; there seems to be an almost complete lack of innovation in the game, which is reflected in the weapon arsenal.
When Duke3D came out, it included truly funny and inventive items such as the freeze ray and the shrinker, as well as more traditional arms that were just a blast to use.
DNF doesn't offer any new guns that are close to the imagination that went into its predecessor; the enforcer gun is more or less a burst-fire homing devastator and there's nothing truly out of the ordinary about the other weapons either.
The actual (re-)designs lack identity as well, with the shrinker looking like the Portal gun mixed with Prey's Leech weapon, while the railgun is just excruciatingly poor.
This also applies to the enemies, which are mostly rehashes of the old design as well, while lacking the charm of the originals.

It's one of the biggest problems with the game - what started out as an exercise in innovation ended up as a half-hearted nod to the past without anything left of the defiant "we do things our own way" mentality that George Broussard expressed in the early years.
DNF was meant to be a trendsetter, but turned out as a schizophrenic trendfollower.
1

#51

i think it deserves a 9.5, the graphics are better then most games and the gameplay was fucking fantastic, i think the reviewers are trolling people not to buy it, because gearbox didnt pay them to give it a good review.
0

User is offline   Kathy 

#52

View PostX-Vector, on 16 June 2011 - 03:15 AM, said:

It's one of the biggest problems with the game - what started out as an exercise in innovation ended up as a half-hearted nod to the past without anything left of the defiant "we do things our own way" mentality that George Broussard expressed in the early years.
DNF was meant to be a trendsetter, but turned out as a schizophrenic trendfollower.

Yep. This game is like a Duke3d remake in terms of guns and enemies. And that is a vast difference from 1998/2001 trailer versions.
0

#53

View PostX-Vector, on 16 June 2011 - 03:15 AM, said:

His basic argument still stands; there seems to be an almost complete lack of innovation in the game, which is reflected in the weapon arsenal.
When Duke3D came out, it included truly funny and inventive items such as the freeze ray and the shrinker, as well as more traditional arms that were just a blast to use.
DNF doesn't offer any new guns that are close to the imagination that went into its predecessor; the enforcer gun is more or less a burst-fire homing devastator and there's nothing truly out of the ordinary about the other weapons either.
The actual (re-)designs lack identity as well, with the shrinker looking like the Portal gun mixed with Prey's Leech weapon, while the railgun is just excruciatingly poor.
This also applies to the enemies, which are mostly rehashes of the old design as well, while lacking the charm of the originals.

It's one of the biggest problems with the game - what started out as an exercise in innovation ended up as a half-hearted nod to the past without anything left of the defiant "we do things our own way" mentality that George Broussard expressed in the early years.
DNF was meant to be a trendsetter, but turned out as a schizophrenic trendfollower.

Maybe one of the key members that made all the cool things in Duke 3D simply went missing or became old and outdated in his thinking.
0

User is offline   Mikko 

  • Honored Donor

#54

View PostGothicBunny, on 16 June 2011 - 03:27 AM, said:

i think it deserves a 9.5, the graphics are better then most games and the gameplay was fucking fantastic, i think the reviewers are trolling people not to buy it, because gearbox didnt pay them to give it a good review.


*Plonk*
0

#55

View PostA BOMB, on 15 June 2011 - 10:59 AM, said:

But would it have felt like a 2010 game? As it stands now the finished product looks like something started in 2005, when Half-Life 2 was at the height of its popularity and games weren't overly scripted like they are now (a design decision popularized by Modern Warfare in 2007).
It feels like it should have come out in 2007 tops. There was this rumor that 3DRealms spent their time and money doing nothing but playing World of Warcraft instead of working on the game and that's why, alongside George wanting every gimmick to be in the game, Duke Nukem Forever took so long to be developed. I wouldn't be surprised if this were true as everything in this game screams "here's what we worked on for a couple of hours each day for 6 (ignoring previous builds here) years in-between doing nothing."

Gearbox probably knew it wasn't going to be anything more than a mediocre game and released it to recoup the money 2K lost by investing in it. I'm sure the next title in the Duke Nukem franchise will be a million times better than this. It's a shame that after ten years
of no new Duke titles what we get is that terrible DS trilogy title and the throughly average Forever.

Randy is a liar, by the way. He said Borderlands was going to be a proper PC game when it was an obvious port. His job is to sell you the game by spouting bullshit.


Yeah he has gone down in my estimations, George's scapegoat. Half life 2 ws better than the first one because of excitement. The most excitement you get with this DNF is at the title screen. Its all downhill after pressing start. I don't mean that to sound bad, its just a truth. Before pressing start its still the game you've always hoped for, after that point, you realise its far far far removed that that accolade.

Innovation was mentioned above by X-Vector today. This game has very little in the way of innovations. Like they were scared to think outside the box. This is what Duke needs. We do not need a bfg. Its been done. What will they bring out for the sequel, a gravity gun saying wait til you get to use the zero point manipulator? No wonder take 2 didn't give them the advance. Letting them play god with our patience for years and years and years then serve this luke warm plate of collected scraps. It pains me to say it, or even play it. I do like it, just not as much as I wanted to. I just replayed a level and it was bad. Here's a test, play it and imagine that its not a Duke game, it gets pretty fucking old, pretty fucking quick.

This post has been edited by Sinisterambo: 16 June 2011 - 01:27 PM

-1

User is offline   Splat 

  • Eat Shit and...

  #56

http://www.redsplat.net/gamespotsucks.jpg

faggots
1

#57

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 15 June 2011 - 10:18 AM, said:

The point of this comparison being...? Half-Life 2 was amazing when it came out. It's still amazing. Hell, that's why DNF stole from it (physics puzzles, driving segments...).


It never stole anything from it, it referenced to it yes, but never stole something.
That would be like saying that every FPS shooter out there stole the idea of Wolfenstein 3D.

I also know that Duke 3D had its own puzzles and that was before Half-Life.

This post has been edited by themaniacboy: 16 June 2011 - 03:48 PM

0

User is offline   Romulus 

#58

You all wanna know what I've gotta say regarding IGN and their crappy review? If this same game, with everything left how it is, just had a main character who's some spec ops marine, and not Duke, it would've gotten a 8.5 out of 10, and yep the game had to be named Call Of Duty: A Marine's Night Out In Vegas, and the game would've been highly appreciated for how innovative it is because of how different it is from modern day shooter in terms of story and gameplay where a spec ops marine, stuck in Vegas, single handedly countered the alien invasion, immense interactivity where the marine gets served by the strippers, etc. :) you get the idea.

This post has been edited by Romulus: 17 June 2011 - 02:17 AM

1

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Instead of reading this text, you could be playing Ion Fury! ;) © 2019 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options