Duke4.net Forums: The full version's 3d details (bumpmaps) are completely destroyed... Epic fail... - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The full version's 3d details (bumpmaps) are completely destroyed... Epic fail...

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

View PostMr.Deviance, on 14 June 2011 - 09:49 PM, said:

What guy? I made these animations.
It doesn't take mad skills to make this, just lots of patience.
In the demo it was much easier due to having the console at my disposal.
First I took a point of origin where I could place my crosshair by using minimal mouse sensitivity after which I entered 2 commands in the console. One was "Behindview" which shows Duke in third person and the other was "fov 40" so I can see Duke closer to the screen and then I pressed F12 to take a print screen in steam.

Then In the full game, I had to enable the devlog and bind the forward key to the "fov 40" command by writing this "set input w moveforward | fov 40 " and I also binded the behindview command to F10 inside the user.ini so I can use the third person view in the fullgame too.
What followed was easy. I positioned my crosshair to the exact spot where I did in the demo, I pressed F10 and and I got into third person.
After all of this was done, I waited for duke's idle animation to reach his exhailing point where he has the arms close to his body and quickly pressed F12 to take a print screen.
After all of this was completed, I saved both screenshots from my steam profile onto my desktop, shrunk them , fused them together with an app called ANPG anime maker and turned them into an animated PNG that I've converted into gif later for people that couldn't see animated png files with their browsers.

You also have to move the player to the exact position he was before with the WASD keys, how did you get precision with that?

User is offline   viper3885 

View PostDavoX, on 15 June 2011 - 04:20 AM, said:

You also have to move the player to the exact position he was before with the WASD keys, how did you get precision with that?

It's not hard, but it is time consuming. It's obviously possible as sites like lens of truth do it to compare cross platform games all the time.

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

View PostDavoX, on 15 June 2011 - 04:20 AM, said:

Who cares? If you don't believe the guy then fire up the game yourself and compare it to the demo. It's not some photoshop conspiracy. I do it all the time for my mod. First, I take the picture and blow it up to fill the monitor then start up the game again and keep alt tabbing until I get the scene identical to the shot.

If there was a bunch of animations and stuff running around you'll have problems.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 15 June 2011 - 04:33 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Someone suggested contacting Randy or Elizabeth 2K via twitter. I would HIGHLY SUGGEST that the contact be filed as a bug report and not as some Duketard rant involving the End of the World.

User is offline   LkMax 

Where are the tons of polishment Gearbox was making? For me it looks like they made the opposite.
And don't give me performance excuses, that's what the "video options" menu is made for.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

If they added the wrong bumpmaps, I am sure it can be dealt with via an update. Could be a bigger one, but at least they wouldn't have to provide all the textures again, which would be a huge mess. Anyway, it is remarkable it could happen, especially since it seems to affect visual quality quite much...

This post has been edited by NightFright: 15 June 2011 - 04:57 AM

I just hope it's something they will fix. It seems like a bug to me as the character models barely change when I switch to the lowest quality setting from the highest.

This just in! They cut bumpmapping to prevent multiplayer exploits and cheating.

• The Truth is in here

How can you cheat with bumpmaps, man? <.<

Good god, it was a joke. You didn't get the connection with their idiotic excuse for removing the dev console?

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 15 June 2011 - 05:23 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

He's joking as that is what it is surmised that the reason for no console in the game.

• The Truth is in here

Hehe, well I didn't get it. xD One way or the other, I am afraid this will lead to more flame wars and trolling, especially in the Gearbox forums. The atmosphere is loaded with explosives right now. The game really does not deserve this. OK, some mistakes might have been made, but they can be corrected and I am sure they will.

View PostNightFright, on 15 June 2011 - 05:28 AM, said:

Hehe, well I didn't get it. xD One way or the other, I am afraid this will lead to more flame wars and trolling, especially in the Gearbox forums. The atmosphere is loaded with explosives right now. The game really does not deserve this. OK, some mistakes might have been made, but they can be corrected and I am sure they will.

I agree, I posted my findings not to try to make the game look bad. But to hopefully get a fix for it, I was looking forward to taking some screen shots and editing them into wallpapers. I still am having a lot of fun with the game, technical issues aside.

User is offline   ekdikeo 

View PostTX, on 14 June 2011 - 09:09 PM, said:

Oh, another possibility is that this fuckery is caused by driver optimizations that get applied to DNF specifically. It's possible the video driver is detecting the full version of DNF and using one of the lower res mipmaps for the bump texture but that the optimization doesn't detect the first access club demo. Someone should retest with the executable renamed or something.

Could be the other way too, that the driver was detecting the demo and accomodating for it.

I didn't notice any obvious differences between demo and game, 3.2ghz quad core 8600gt .. although the demo did seem to run a bit faster in max quality, the demo also had much more controlled areas, with a lot less in them.

DukeForever has, so far, been the least buggy and best looking thing I have seen in years. Not graphics quality wise, but polish wise. There's no or very few craptastic animations, the game is just pure awesome fun. It has never once crashed on me (except when my whole computer went down, due to something else entirely), and I guess it's a true testament, that good things come to those who wait. Because this is one fkin good game. And I hate having the little "E-Use" popup on everything that's useable, and I religiously hate the 2-weapon system.

This post has been edited by ekdikeo: 15 June 2011 - 05:44 AM

View PostHelel, on 14 June 2011 - 11:00 PM, said:

But the SP game was pretty much completed in 2009! The hell they were doing 1,5 years with it if they couldn't fix that?

Agreed

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

View PostMad Max RW, on 15 June 2011 - 04:28 AM, said:

Who cares? If you don't believe the guy then fire up the game yourself and compare it to the demo. It's not some photoshop conspiracy. I do it all the time for my mod. First, I take the picture and blow it up to fill the monitor then start up the game again and keep alt tabbing until I get the scene identical to the shot.

If there was a bunch of animations and stuff running around you'll have problems.

I would if my demo didn't MAGICALLY DISSAPEAR from my list of games.... hell I still have my Batman Demo, but DNF dissapeared, wtf?

My point is that it isn't even necessary to have the player on the exact same position like in the pictures. Yet it is. Something smells like photoshop .

View PostDavoX, on 15 June 2011 - 07:22 AM, said:

I would if my demo didn't MAGICALLY DISSAPEAR from my list of games.... hell I still have my Batman Demo, but DNF dissapeared, wtf?

My point is that it isn't even necessary to have the player on the exact same position like in the pictures. Yet it is. Something smells like photoshop .

First off, me and deviance posted our own separate comparisons with the same results. Second, I have better things to do than photoshop screenshots and try to pass them as real on a message board. I just found this problem and am presenting it to everyone in hopes that it will get fixed, that is all.

Then do what everyone else in the world did and download the cracked demo off any torrent site.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 15 June 2011 - 01:52 AM, said:

I actually expect this event to end up with some real life murders, brain strokes and/or heart attacks.

One certified heart attack here. Posted Image Ehmm, not quite. I said it before and say it again. Graphics are not the issue with me.
Yet, the shit hit the fan. No console, vague explanations = bad press = down the hill. Right now it looks to me the game was back engineered for protection issues. This is fine, but if you are worried about protection that much, why issue a low quality copy? Etc. there are a lot of questions being asked, and read my sig - I don't have time. Moving out

This post has been edited by Hank: 15 June 2011 - 07:34 AM

I want to add it is necessary to have the positioning identical. Otherwise people would be saying "Oh the positions aren't the same so the lighting is different!"

User is offline   sababa007 

I think Gearbox didn't do a great job,
the 2008 version of the game looked the best (I am not 100% sure that's true because there were only few leaked videos)
and then I see this! It seems like since 3DR is gone the graphics become worse as time passing

Update: over on the GBX forums one of the guys that works said he'd check in with the team about it.

Perhaps you should have included a link to the original topic: http://forums.duke4....5283#entry95283

Was it necessary to make a new topic? It's in the same forum and everything.

I hope you're not just trying to increase your "reputation".

This post has been edited by BrentNewland: 15 June 2011 - 12:26 PM

User is offline   Laokin 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 14 June 2011 - 07:55 PM, said:

After viper brought this to my attention with his post about model textures being lower in full game than in the demo, I decided to make an investigation of my own which made me come to the absolute conclusion that it's not the textures that are lower res in the Full game but the bumpmaps themselves.
And the problem isn't just for models, it's for the entire fucking game, walls included!
I've lost too much fucking time perfectly aligning the animations and the position of Duke, cropped and resized the pics and truned them into a high quality animated .png for your comparison purposes...
This shit is unacceptable.
First we find that they've cut the console from the final game, then I find that they've cut all the cheats that you could type during the game just like in duke3d and now I found this...

What you are seeing below are 2 identical screenshots taken at max settings, without motion blur, noise effect and post processing enabled with max Antialiasing and with max settings.
Welcome to the fail of details, enjoy...

Later edit: For those that don't use firefox and can't see animated PNG's and can't see an animated picture in this post, I've also made traditional gifs for you so you can see the difference in your browsers.

Amazing work Mr. Deviance. Daaaaaaaaamn -- it looks crazy better in FAC. (No wonder why the retail runs smoother with FXAA on.)

Jesus.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options