Duke4.net Forums: Lets rate the game here! - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lets rate the game here!  "See how we true Duke fans rate the game"

Poll: DNF FANS RATING POLL (94 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you rate DNF 1 to 10?

1. 10 (2 votes [2.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.13%

2. 9 (13 votes [13.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.83%

3. 8 (29 votes [30.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.85%

4. 7 (23 votes [24.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.47%

5. 6 (13 votes [13.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.83%

6. Voted 5 (7 votes [7.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.45%

7. 4 (1 votes [1.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.06%

8. 3 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. 2 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

10. 1 (2 votes [2.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.13%

11. I don't give a fuck. (4 votes [4.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

User is offline   palan 

Tired of bullshit reviews and ratings..
It will be interesting to see how we true Duke fans rate the game.

This post has been edited by palan: 14 June 2011 - 05:22 PM

7, i think it's a good game. But i'm not really into this kind of FPS games. It reminds me a LOT of half life 2. I think it is at least as good as half life 2 if not better. If i were into this style of FPS, i would probably rate it 9.

User is offline   Hank 

I too give it a 7. It has no modding tools. I love to tinker. Posted Image

User is offline   viper3885 

I gave it a 9, I'm happy to finally play a new duke fps. And when going into this game I do realize that it is a few years old.

User is offline   trustn0! 

Im afraid ill have to be the bad guy here and say its a 6
Games fault are too big to ignore.
Bad pacing,extremely linear pathways,scripted events and the 2 weapon and health regen.
Also for those wondering i believe the CoD franchise can go die in a corner because everything i just wrote about the faults in DNF,CoD makes a living out of,
If this looked like a 2011 game i guarantee people would be praising this game like the second coming of christ

User is offline   kpl 

I give it maybe a 6. What I'm wondering is why are so many basic things that made the original Duke3d so great missing?
Where are all the walls and buildings that can be blown apart? Duke3d has tons of shit that was blowing up all over the place.
In DNF you can't even blow up pictures on the walls or potted plants, what the hell is that all about? For years this game
was touted as being one of the most interactive games of all time, Duke Nukem 3D seems more realistic as far as things in the
world that can be blown up.
Another thing that seems a bit off are the sounds. The original game had some seriously kick ass sounds in it... remember the creepy
octabrain sounds? or the hatching slimmer sounds? or the squealing pigcops when you killed them? The weapon sounds were alot
better I thought too. The whole Duke3D game just sounded louder and more in your face than DNF, it seems like they just got lazy or something.
If they would have just remade that whole game level for level with this new graphics engine I think it would have been a much more exciting game.

User is offline   Awesomebob 

A solid 7.

I'm not sorry I bought it, but I'm really hoping there's some free SP dlc later to make up for the quick finish.

Grats to TX for making the credits! Now that you're famous, can I get your autograph?

A 7 because of it's "mechanical" and technical issues like missing gore decals, very simple animations when a scene is not scripted, blocky and linear level design, duke's unique jump sound effect that becomes rapidly annoying and retarded for a game that requires you to jump all the time, the removal of the console, the toning down of bumpmaps.

Later edit: Aww and I forgot to mention the 2 weapon system that annoys the living shit out of me.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 15 June 2011 - 01:25 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 14 June 2011 - 10:49 PM, said:

duke's unique jump sound effect that becomes rapidly annoying and retarded for a game that requires you to jump all the time

Oh yeah... That reminded me of Quake.

View PostHelel, on 14 June 2011 - 11:02 PM, said:

Oh yeah... That reminded me of Quake.

In quake it actually sounded powerful and classic. In DNF it just sounds awkward and rapidly annoying.

8/10 for me. It would get 9/10 if we got the Jace Hall / early, better looking version.

User is offline   trackit 

I gave it a 6, too few destructible props, no blood decals???, not enough gore, very weird "sprinting" and duke getting tired way too fast ( i guess those cigars are not serving him well), too much "platforming" (jumping puzzles that can be very frustrating at times), mediocre physics, a lot of unfixed problems.

This post has been edited by trackit: 15 June 2011 - 12:28 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I gave it an 8, the singleplayer campaign was good, but not great. The multiplayer saved it :D

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I give it an 8, but I'm being generous because I'm admittedly a Duke fanboy. It's a solid game with lots of humor and an equal amount of technical shortcomings which will hopefully get fixed in patches. Releasing the game with the technical flaws it has was a huge mistake on Gearbox's part; as far as I'm concerned we could have waited for an extra 4 months or so of polish since we've already waited 14 years.

View PostAwesomebob, on 14 June 2011 - 09:47 PM, said:

Grats to TX for making the credits! Now that you're famous, can I get your autograph?

Heheh, thanks. Go buy my overpriced Duke action figure on eBay and I'll sign it before it goes out. :D

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostTX, on 15 June 2011 - 12:13 AM, said:

Releasing the game with the technical flaws it has was a huge mistake on Gearbox's part; as far as I'm concerned we could have waited for an extra 4 months or so of polish since we've already waited 14 years.

In that case we might as well have gotten the game early 2010 when Triptych finished the singleplayer campaign, because if the game were to come out unpolished anyway, at least we could have played it a lot earlier, and with all the cool things like the 3DR Duke model still in there.

I give it a solid 8. It doesn't bring a lot that's new to the table, but it does show that a "modern shooter" can let you run and gun, effectively use "gimmick" weapons like a Freeze Ray, give you interesting scenarios (like Duke Burger) and still be fun. I'm sure it'll be one of those games I'll replay every once in a while, and that makes it a damn good game in my book.

User is offline   Jeff 

I'll give it an 8 as well. Just finished it 5 minutes ago. Not a big fan a few levels due to mechanics I guess you could say. Other then that, it's a good game.

A few things some of us may agree on here. They need to put the developer console back in. Get rid of the two weapon system. And finally a personal request, I'm not big on puzzles, but that's just me.

User is offline   LkMax 

I give it an 8, but I'm being generous because I'm admittedly a Duke fanboy. (...)

At least you confess it.

(...) Releasing the game with the technical flaws it has was a huge mistake on Gearbox's part; as far as I'm concerned we could have waited for an extra 4 months or so of polish since we've already waited 14 years.Heheh, thanks. Go buy my overpriced Duke action figure on eBay and I'll sign it before it goes out. :D

That part is the reason why I gave you +1.
Actually they should have released the game on christmas IMO, with a decent work on the game and a perfect date when people are more willing to buy anything.

View PostMicky C, on 15 June 2011 - 12:16 AM, said:

In that case we might as well have gotten the game early 2010 when Triptych finished the singleplayer campaign, because if the game were to come out unpolished anyway, at least we could have played it a lot earlier, and with all the cool things like the 3DR Duke model still in there.

Or this, indeed.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

7/10. It's a little unpolished and disjointed and just not done as well as Half-Life as far as pacing goes. But it's still good and quite fun. The only other thing I dislike is the PC presentation which knocks off more points than it could have. The lack of features is just abysmal.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 15 June 2011 - 09:11 AM

User is offline   Loke 

6/10 - A disappointment with inconsistent gameplay, level design and dated visuals but overall a fun game. Hoping for some singleplayer DLC.

This post has been edited by Loke: 15 June 2011 - 09:45 AM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Gave 8. It's a fun game, but could have still needed polishing, especially regarding sharp textures everywhere and not just on selected stuff. Deducted rating points for the ugly DOF effect, plus it should have had more levels in the SP campaign. Other than that, it's a really solid experience with lots of fun. And it's the Duke after all. 8 is also given in hopes for some DLCs which add more contents.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 15 June 2011 - 11:01 AM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

This I wrote on metacritic:

8/10

I've got to admit first that I followed this game for it's entire 14 years of development.

However I'd like to point out that I'm also aware that this Build of the game didn't take 14 years to make, it took 5. Remember that DNF was scrapped several times until it's final attempt to make it.

That said, I went on to play the game for the first time with really high expectations, the highest possible. And yes, the game didn't meet them, of course. Nothing can meet such hype and expectation built for over a decade.

Still the game managed to keep me entertained throughout it's entirety and even had me rolling on the floor laughing. The game IS fun. You only need to know that this isn't supposed to be the second coming of Christ. It's a funny enjoyable game.

It has it's flaws, yes. Like the linearity, sometimes empty rooms, and so on. Still, for me, the good out weighed the bad. I'm one of the lucky people that had fun with the game and didn't finish it in disappointment.

I'd like to say thank you to everyone that made this game possible. I sure had a blast playing it and I know I'll keep on trying to find more secrets and references.

Get the game! Don't let the bad reviews discourage you. It's cool to talk trash about Duke Forever on every review, but you don't have to be like that. You have a mind of your own. Try the game, and then make up your own opinion about it. HAVE FUN!

User is offline   kaisersoze 

• Honored Donor

Not ready to give it a final review(which will be pretty in-depth). I will say going
from the PC version to the 360 version is night and day. The PC version looking
and playing FAR better than the 360 version. I can see where alot of the negative
reviews are coming from based on the 360 port. Terrible texture pop in and most
seem low res. Controls also seem more floaty using the controller compared to mouse
and keyboard. The load times are noticeably longer on the 360 as well. There's no doubt
the PC version is the one to buy *AND* review.

Multiplayer is fun. Again, the PC multiplayer looks and plays better. The 360 version
has lag issues that can hopefully be solved via patch or something.

For some "reviews" to give the game "0" or a "3" out of 10 is absolute lunacy.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View Postkaisersoze, on 15 June 2011 - 12:49 PM, said:

For some "reviews" to give the game "0" or a "3" out of 10 is absolute lunacy.

QFT.

Anything under 7 is pushing it, and anything under 5 is just plain unfair.

I think the game is a solid 8.

Were the game--IN ITS CURRENT STATE--to be released sometime in 2004-2007, it would have easily been a 9 or 10.

User is offline   Honza 

View PostYatta, on 15 June 2011 - 01:03 PM, said:

QFT.

I think the game is a solid 8.

Were the game--IN ITS CURRENT STATE--to be released sometime in 2004-2007, it would have easily been a 9 or 10.

I'm afraid it would not run on HW which was available at those years...

Anyway I gave it 8 as no mod tools are available but I guess that for most CoD like gamers it will be something like 7...

This post has been edited by Honza: 15 June 2011 - 01:24 PM

User is offline   Ronin 

I was steering toward 7 but based on how much I enjoyed the game performance flaws (360) included I'll go 8, because its so fun and much better on hard, for me anyway Im not amazing at games and I find it very challanging in a fun way.

I have most Halo games and I like Halo but DNF is a better and more enjoyable game than any Halo. When the dust dies down and people are moving on to the next thing to hate, I think I will still be playing DNF every now and then because there is no game out there quite like it, its a unique beast and thats a fact.

I have yet to play the proper pc version, the graphics dont bother me that much they are better than Duke 3Ds so thats enough even though in fairness it looks really nice in some parts like the hive.

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 15 June 2011 - 01:34 PM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

7 and that's pushing it.

User is offline   SavagE 

6,5 from me, but I lean more towards six, than seven :D

I cant imagine HOW ANYONE COULD HAVE HIGH EXPECTATIONS while starting this game. O mean you must have seen the trailers? The screens? The gameplay videos? THE DEMO?? They were screaming altogether "I AM NOT THE GAME YOU WANTED TO PLAY". Did you notice that the mirror in the first level bathroom is broken? Why? TO prevent us from seeing the laughable and pathetic jump animation. They even didnt make the demo available to everyone - it could jeopardize the sales. And this FAC thing? Yeah, big thanks for the DLC - big head mode that I will eventually unlock by playing the game, pointless ego boost and a bunch of dull t-shirts. Yeah...

Some gags were hillarious, I especially loved the Donkey Kong one and all the Marcus Fenix's lines. Ops, Dylan's, I meant ;D (great voice acting there). Some puzzles were clever and original, but most of them dull, uninspired and frustrating. I hate valve puzzles! THe platforming was mostly downright bad, as the controls werent precise. The driving sections were much better, as they involved lots of jumping :D THe pacing was crap so was the level design. The weapons were VERY unbalanced (Ripper less effective than the pistol? WTF?), most of them were recycled from D3D, golden deagle was missing and I hated the 2 weapon limit. THe technology is horrid but you all know that.

But most of the shooting was fun, some of the bosses were fun to battle and I loved the humor, although FOrever lacked some powerful one-liner, as balls of steel, or eat shit and die.

8 its fun, but a few things bug me on it, but its pretty good and nothing higher

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostYatta, on 15 June 2011 - 01:03 PM, said:

It's a subjective matter. And that also depends on the score system itself. 5 our of 10 should be average. And on some sites it means just like that.

Anyway, I loved the game while playing it. It was really fun. But I'm just too biased towards the game. I wonder if I even had the capacity to feel during the play that the game is not awesome. I'm only able to do that now and see flaws in this game. Gameplay flaws that are bothering me.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options