Duke4.net Forums: Lower quality textures in full game than demo? (PC) - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lower quality textures in full game than demo? (PC)

The only thing which is drivinig me nuts is Gearbox. Let me elaborate:

They change something which looks better to something which looks worse. Or from something working to something not working. Examples:

- Blood / Gore reduced / removed / in many places simply censored
- log/developer/console removed and they didn't even know it had influences on the dedicated server exe aswell
- shadows / shader's limited, you can clearly see in the leaked screenshots that the game looked way better back then
- technically shitty port to the Xbox 360: long loading times, laggy/choppy gameplay in many levels, button/control delays

The game is still fun, but with a little amount of more professionalism it would got the final touches it now missed.

This post has been edited by DI-MeisterM: 14 June 2011 - 11:51 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I don't have the full version of the game yet, but from the screenies, it looks like the textures are the same, they have just reduced the amplification of the normal mapping. On the gif in the bathroom, it looks like the textures are the same resolution. Look at the dirt patterns on the tiles on the left of the picture, they don't change from shot to shot. I've got to say, Duke looks much more natural in the game shot than he does in the demo.

Someone needs to get Noesis and unpack the textures from the game and from the demo and compare them in Photoshop. I've got a feeling that you'll find that there is no difference.

User is offline   Klapher 

View Postviper3885, on 14 June 2011 - 01:26 PM, said:

So I thought I noticed that the textures in the full game seemed lacking compared to the demo. I went and loaded up the demo and surely enough there's a fairly large difference between the texture quality with the demo being quite noticably better. I also saw the comparison video and screenshots on eurogamer.net between the consoles and pc and noticed that the pc version's textures looked worse. Is it like this for you guys to? If so, I hope there's a fix for it.
EDIT: Also, I'd like to note that I've turned on and off all the different video options and they don't make a difference. I've also loaded the game up on two different computers with the same results.

Full game:
Posted Image
Demo:
Posted Image

Full game:
Posted Image
Demo:
Posted Image

Full game:
Posted Image
Demo:
Posted Image

You are a lier. The textures look identical from demo to full game, I saw at my computer.
Maybe details normalmap look gayer but but texetures are the same!
This topic needs to be closed because it is a big lie for nobbs.

This post has been edited by Klapher: 16 June 2011 - 02:22 PM

User is offline   viper3885 

Obviously you're fucking blind then because me and deviance both posted the same results. Troll elsewhere. I just want this brought to gearbox's attention so it can be fixed.

View Postviper3885, on 16 June 2011 - 03:03 PM, said:

Obviously you're fucking blind then because me and deviance both posted the same results. Troll elsewhere. I just want this brought to gearbox's attention so it can be fixed.

Going past his insults and childish way of making a post, at his core he is right.
The full game doesn't seem to have different textures it looks that it only has different bumpmaps.
What we've both seen are the different bumpmaps not the textures.
He calls them normal maps I call them bumpmaps because their .dat archives where they are stored are called BumpMaps00X.dat where X is the number for each one of them and they are stored in "duke nukem forever\Textures\Compiled"
I am not sure if this unreal engine uses bump maps or normal maps but what ever they are the official names for their archives is Bumpmaps.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 16 June 2011 - 03:21 PM

Thank you for copying all the pictures klapher. Now we all love you.

User is offline   viper3885 

Yea I now know it's bumpmapping. I posted it somewhere in my original thread after I went through the texture/compiled folder and realized it was a bumpmap problem. I just named it textures when I first made the thread.

This post has been edited by viper3885: 16 June 2011 - 03:30 PM

User is offline   Dogfish 

View PostJhect, on 16 June 2011 - 03:25 PM, said:

Thank you for copying all the pictures klapher. Now we all love you.

This made me laugh. Kudos.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Why is it then when I look in the mirror on the full version the resolution seems to be cut in half? In the demo I didn't see this problem.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Seems like they are normal maps to me because they affect the shape more than bump maps do. Normal maps are the funky colored kind can have offset\parallax mapping since they can be 32-bit and bump maps are just black and white, seem to me to most of the time be a tiled pattern and only affect the lighting but not the shape (you can have the same effect with normal maps pretty much if you leave out the height map). But that doesn't stop them from calling them whatever they want or referring to them different in console commands. A lot of people think the terms are interchangable though as they all have the same basic idea but they are different in tech\execution.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 17 June 2011 - 01:58 PM

User is offline   serioussam 

I noticed in the old Jace hall Clips the Ego system looked better, instead of the current auto health regen, Ego regenerated by killing enemies.

User is offline   Romulus 

Well, if they can make an ultra quality texture pack for Crysis 2, so can we :D as soon as the guys figure outta way to repack the modified texture back into the game.

User is offline   Blasfemon 

Mr. Deviance already addressed the bumpmapping problem in his other thread, and it works flawlessly. Really "bumps" (pun intented) the game GFX wise. Bound the setting to my F7 button (mimap, bumpmap, dof disabled and aniso filtering max'ed)

This post has been edited by Blasfemon: 21 June 2011 - 12:11 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options