Duke4.net Forums: Lets talk about the game's ending. **SPOILERS** - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lets talk about the game's ending. **SPOILERS**

User is offline   Alithinos 

Did the ending even made any sense ? :dukecry:

We watch Duke grabbed by Graves's arm and that their dropship is then sucked by a wormhole.

Then a full motion video appears in a EDF monitor and says that Duke was Killed in Action..
Then screen goes black and Duke says "What a crappy ending is this ? I will be back!"
And then we watch him talking at a show saying he will run for president.

What happened ?
Was Duke actually sucked by the wormhole ?
Did the dropship dropped and he died from the crash ?
Or nothing of them happened and both Graves and Duke returned safe back,and Duke decided to run for president ?
It's confusing.
:D

This post has been edited by Alithinos: 13 June 2011 - 09:51 AM

My thought on this:
We already know by the leaked documents that after the actual game's last level there where supposed to be more levels,with Duke visiting the alien world,placing and activating nukes there and THEN coming back to Earth and going to the show. It seems they removed the Alien World levels while keeping the Hover Dam's cutscene that would prepare the player for visiting the alien world in the game. So we get to watch a cutscene that shouldn't be there. (The cutscene where the dropship is sucked by the wormhole).
The game then shows as the next cutscene which is the one with the EDF monitor showing that Duke died. That's because after Duke was sucked in the Alien's home world the people who stayed on Earth never found Duke and thought he died.Then the game shows us the real ending that was supposed to be shown after Duke goes to the alien home world and blows everything up and returns to Earth.
Its really sad that they took the alien levels out of the game,but at least they could edit or redo the cutscenes so they make sense.
It feels really rushed up and frivolous the thing they did. :dukecry:

This post has been edited by Alithinos: 13 June 2011 - 09:12 AM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I thought it was pretty obvious.

Duke says he didn't like the ending. So then we know the real ending. Duke is fine and alive. Now running for president number 69 (heh). It's not really a cliffhanger. It's also a stab at the douch of president he had, always talking bad at him :dukecry:

User is offline   Kathy 

Change the topic name, man. Saying "cliffhanger" is also a spoiler. :dukecry:

View PostHelel, on 13 June 2011 - 09:35 AM, said:

Change the topic name, man. Saying "cliffhanger" is also a spoiler. :D

Done! :dukecry:

User is offline   A BOMB 

The dropship crashed and Duke died.

The ending of the game is him running for president in Valhalla.

I thought it was obvious. The military thought they killed Duke. He came back and held a press conference.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Yeah. that ending was just supossed to be a jab on Call of Duty.

I think it was pretty obvious that duke died at the end. But he thought that would be a crappy ending which i think is true. So he changed the ending so that duke is still alive.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Yeah, I think it's like that. He showed us what he wanted the ending to be, it is not really connected to the ingame finale sequence.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Like everything else in DNF, the ending cinematic is just a joke. No real relevance to the Duke Nukem universe or anything.

User is offline   zwieback 

... OR there is in fact a part missing and that's what we will get with a dlc

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

You don't really want Duke to run for presidency. :dukecry: The chief is a seat-farter, that's nothing Duke would do! He is more into action, he leaves the decisions to other people - just to ignore them after they have been made and do his own thing... ^^

This post has been edited by NightFright: 13 June 2011 - 01:31 PM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Didn't really give it much thought. I simply assumed that it was at first presumed that Duke was dead (because the explosion occured at Duke's last known location), but of course he wasn't and then, some time later, he made a run for presidency.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

How did you get that he was sucked into the wormhole? He wasn't anywhere near it.

Don't take it seriously. It was a joke. Nothing's ever meant to make serious sense in a Duke game. I mean, women were gruesomely dying a slow and tortured death in The Hive and he just barks out "Why do they always take the hot ones?" Not that he's not upset about it, he gets pretty furious. But even so, this is Duke. Everything is for the lulz.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 13 June 2011 - 02:14 PM

I think the real ending of DNF will be concluded in the Singleplayer DLC pack, that contains 15 levels.
Because it was weard that it abruptly ended after the hoover dam, i was suprised that it has ended that way.
I guess that they would just release the game, because fans have waited long enough and release the rest of the game later.

This does seem like the best option to me.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View Postthemaniacboy, on 13 June 2011 - 02:43 PM, said:

Because it was weard that it abruptly ended after the hoover dam, i was suprised that it has ended that way.

What was so abrupt about it? They nuked the place and presumably the wormhole thing got wiped out in the process. Duke also finished off all their leaders.

Also, when I was at the dam it was pretty clear the game was almost done because I couldn't remember any location from the videos that had not already been seen.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Duke didn't die. He said so himself (I''m coming back for more, baby!)

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostDavoX, on 13 June 2011 - 06:55 PM, said:

Duke didn't die.

No shit?

The ending wasn't surprising at all. As soon as the president got killed by cycloid, it was so obvious that duke would go for president after killing cycloid.

User is offline   JayceR 

I thought the ending was pretty anticlimactic, and left me unsatisfied. The COD4 jab is 4 years late, and didn't really seem to fit in. Duke Nukem ironically dies in a Nuclear Explosion, but then he warps reality and becomes the 69th president... very mature Gearbox.

You can't even walk around or do anything... it's just a 20-second pre-rendered movie. The game described in the plot documents had a much more satisfying ending. Duke goes to space with the help of Bombshell (Cut from the game) and kills the Octaking, then they are sent back to Vegas. The talk show is re-visited with some witty dialogue from Duke. The cancelled talk show in our build of the game is pointless, it serves almost no purpose other than to announce that the aliens are back.

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 13 June 2011 - 03:18 PM, said:

What was so abrupt about it? They nuked the place and presumably the wormhole thing got wiped out in the process. Duke also finished off all their leaders.

Also, when I was at the dam it was pretty clear the game was almost done because I couldn't remember any location from the videos that had not already been seen.

It was, i didn't expect an ending, i did fear for it when i saw the loading screen.
I guess the game isn't finished yet, or atleast the half of it.

I am almost certain that the dlc will tell us what the real ending will be.

User is offline   Stabs 

He should of called the president a douche, smacked him in the chops and then he fell back into the cycloid

Yea, duke needed to pay back.

User is offline   ferran275 

Didn't Randy say somewhere that they refused to cut the game up into pieces and torture us that way? I feel like thats exactly what they've done here. There are SO many unanswered questions. Why was the president speaking with them in the first place? (Graves mentions something in the Duke Cave that makes the prez sound a bit suspicious) What about all the other aliens that got through to our world? in the Half Life world for instance the aliens totally pwned the entire world in 7 hours. Why exactly did the aliens return? obviously, revenge, but dammit, I refuse to believe there isn't a head honcho somewhere calling all the shots. What's to say they won't come back again? all we've done is play defense. I'd think for the most epic Duke experience he should go through that wormhole and destroy that alien world. I see that was in the leaked plot anyway, soooo where's that? that's what the game needed right there, some kind of closure, its so freakin up in the air, I really truly hope the DLC will be more levels. I've been thinking about the leaked DLC docs, why would they give us a bunch of new weapons if not in a new environment? and for the second one, only a few multiplayer maps? lame... I'm sure it will be beefed up with some more levels, then the third they actually come out and say new SP levels, so maybe that's all that one is, the exciting conclusion to Duke Nukem Forever!

Then they can move on the Duke Begins :D

User is offline   Malgon 

I really need to give those leaked documents a read through. From the tidbits that are getting mentioned about it, there sounds like there was going to be some pretty cool stuff in the game.

User is offline   Kathy 

I'm reading them now. Really interesting stuff. The game was more varied it seems. Also, April 1st is Saturday which means the game is set in the year of 2017 which is more coherent with Duke 3d timeline than DNF's 2011 year.

User is offline   Malgon 

Just finished reading them myself. You're right, the game does seem to have more variety and elements to it, and the pacing seems much better as well. I like that the game starts on April 1st too. It's a nice touch. :D

User is offline   Kathy 

And originaly it was supposed to be released on April 1st!

User is offline   Malgon 

That's what I was thinking! :D

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options