Duke4.net Forums: Lets talk about the game's ending. **SPOILERS** - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lets talk about the game's ending. **SPOILERS**

View Postferran275, on 14 June 2011 - 10:09 PM, said:

Didn't Randy say somewhere that they refused to cut the game up into pieces and torture us that way? I feel like thats exactly what they've done here. There are SO many unanswered questions. Why was the president speaking with them in the first place? (Graves mentions something in the Duke Cave that makes the prez sound a bit suspicious) What about all the other aliens that got through to our world? in the Half Life world for instance the aliens totally pwned the entire world in 7 hours. Why exactly did the aliens return? obviously, revenge, but dammit, I refuse to believe there isn't a head honcho somewhere calling all the shots. What's to say they won't come back again? all we've done is play defense. I'd think for the most epic Duke experience he should go through that wormhole and destroy that alien world. I see that was in the leaked plot anyway, soooo where's that? that's what the game needed right there, some kind of closure, its so freakin up in the air, I really truly hope the DLC will be more levels. I've been thinking about the leaked DLC docs, why would they give us a bunch of new weapons if not in a new environment? and for the second one, only a few multiplayer maps? lame... I'm sure it will be beefed up with some more levels, then the third they actually come out and say new SP levels, so maybe that's all that one is, the exciting conclusion to Duke Nukem Forever!

Then they can move on the Duke Begins :D

Apparently they didn't cut the game, they just put the pieces in place from what they've already got.
Those last 15 levels are the second half of the game and i think that it was a wise choice to release that later.
If they would have wanted to finish those before releasing the game, we would have got our game in 2012.

User is offline   Kathy 

Also... It's interesting that Triptych 2009 trailer didn't have anything that's missing in the game. Perhaps, those elements of the game were indeed thrown out before Gearbox.

This post has been edited by Helel: 15 June 2011 - 08:16 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

It wasn't supposed to be released on April 1st, it was supposed to go gold.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I'm sure GBX didn't cut anything. The game was basically Done by november 2009. It would be stupid to cut things and rearrange them like 3Drealms did before. The game had to be shipped in the state it was, polishing a few things and adding multiplayer.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostDavoX, on 15 June 2011 - 11:41 AM, said:

I'm sure GBX didn't cut anything. The game was basically Done by november 2009. It would be stupid to cut things and rearrange them like 3Drealms did before. The game had to be shipped in the state it was, polishing a few things and adding multiplayer.

We already know they did cut things.

There are pictures from the big leak that are named "EDF BASE" These were supposed to come into play between the DAM and The Desert sections.

They also just didnt even bother trying to finish other bits of the game, which to me really does make me wonder what exactly it is they did for the last year or so.

_

This post has been edited by goochgobbler1488: 15 June 2011 - 09:41 PM

User is offline   ThePinkus 

I'm just gonna throw it out there. Land of the Babes had a better ending than Duke Nukem Forever.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostThePinkus, on 16 June 2011 - 03:05 AM, said:

I'm just gonna throw it out there. Land of the Babes had a better ending than Duke Nukem Forever.

... I can't argue with that. Seeing as it did in fact have an ending.

Seriously guys, anyone who knows me, knows I LOVE Duke Nukem. Other kids had Superman or Spider man growing up. I had Duke Nukem. He is my childhood hero of supreme kick ass. I'm not a hater.

SO when I say... Duke Nukem Forever's ending is... not an ending. It's a rushed, short, unsatisfying, mess. I cannot believe they cut it off the way they did. It's so abrupt, and unlike anything that Duke would ever have as an ending to one of his games.

Duke's games all have a formula behind them. Duke heads home a hero, usually adored by crowds or in heroic solitude. He'll give a witty one-liner, and at some point its implied or shown that he is bedding one or more fine and thankful ladies.

Where is the real ending? And that Press Conference? What the **** was that!? That wasn't even worth tacking on after the credits! ... And Duke already ran for President. More Guns, More Chicks, Nukem '96. They had the assets, why didn't they end the game with Duke appearing on the 'Lenoman show and answering a few questions? Something with a bit of sentimentality to it! Ya know? This is Duke Forever, the game fans waited 15 goddamn years to play... and they end it with a very shitty parody? I'm not laughing. Frankly I watched the end credits of DNF in silence, and I began to feel very empty and sad. Like... Wow, I beat Duke Forever... I beat Duke Forever. ...That was it? Posted Image

You know how I would have ended the game? The President is revealed to be Proton using a hologram! You play through one final chapter where you have a flashback to the events of Duke Nukem 1, and then the very end of the game is Duke and Proton fighting man-o-ee-man-o. Insert Rise of the Triad reference/Joke because Proton will be in his hovering chair just like in the old games. After defeating him, Duke goes back to the Vegas Ruins to help rebuild. Duke returns to his penthouse, which is in ruin, but being rebuilt, If you go up to the throne room you discover dozens and dozens of women in line wanting a picture in Duke's lap. After you sit down and take a picture or two the game fades to the Lenoman show where Duke and Lenoman talk about Duke's book, saving the world, and what he plans to do next. The crowd goes wild at whatever news Duke gives, and you cut to credits.
Ya know, something that actually gives the game a goddamn climax and an ending that in some manner gives the little story there is an arc and closure? Ya know? Some basic narrative? Posted Image

User is offline   Tetsuo 

I almost feel like the ending was just a cliffhanger so they can bring out the last half of the game later when we get some real closure or maybe not as they may have acquired the duke license to continue the franchise. :D

User is offline   Martin 

I thought the ending sucked. Exact same fight as at the start of the game, but Cycloid has three health bars instead of just the one. Plus all the strafe-running room and ammo you need. Has anybody honestly died at the final battle? The ending movie conference thing fell flat for me.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMartin, on 16 June 2011 - 06:44 PM, said:

I thought the ending sucked. Exact same fight as at the start of the game, but Cycloid has three health bars instead of just the one. Plus all the strafe-running room and ammo you need. Has anybody honestly died at the final battle? The ending movie conference thing fell flat for me.

I did. Once. On Come Get Some. Although, I thought that after first health bar the battle would become different. You know, when the boss transforms into something else and has different attacks etc.

User is offline   Madmaxwell 

Duke takes rockets to the face like every other minute what is a nuke against the Duke >_>

User is offline   Nuked 

I'm big fan of DN3D.

I just finished the game, I wasn't displeased.

Then I checked out all the 'Extras'.

Now I am disapointed, seems a lot was written and made for DNF but not used in final product.

Seems DNF is Did Not Finish!

Damn and where's Bombshell???

User is offline   Alithinos 

View PostNuked, on 19 June 2011 - 03:31 AM, said:

Damn and where's Bombshell???

Bombshell is along Duke's clone in the alien spaceship that Duke would plant a nuke in it.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

As far as I'm concerned with the ending, he blew the dam, killed the cycloid emperor, narrowly escaped a nuclear explosion, and ran for president.

Also, if the rest of the levels were going to be just as linear as all the others in DNF, would we have wanted the game to be twice as long? It would have really started to drag on if it went on after Hoover Dam. It's fine as DLC where you've had a break between the game and the expansion, but as one whole game it'd be too much.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 19 June 2011 - 03:51 AM

User is offline   Alithinos 

View PostMicky C, on 19 June 2011 - 03:50 AM, said:

As far as I'm concerned with the ending, he blew the dam, killed the cycloid emperor, narrowly escaped a nuclear explosion, and ran for president.

Also, if the rest of the levels were going to be just as linear as all the others in DNF, would we have wanted the game to be twice as long? It would have really started to drag on if it went on after Hoover Dam. It's fine as DLC where you've had a break between the game and the expansion, but as one whole game it'd be too much.

Or they could split the single player mode in 3 episodes to avoid the story getting drag on,stretched etc.
The same way Duke3d did.

I thought that the shaking, etc. in the ship and on the screen as you hang from Graves' hand was from the shockwave from the nuke, and that the wormhole closed -- or was supposed to close, anyway -- when you blew up the dam. I SHOULD PAY MORE ATTENTION.

User is offline   Outtagum 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 16 June 2011 - 02:59 PM, said:

Frankly I watched the end credits of DNF in silence, and I began to feel very empty and sad. Like... Wow, I beat Duke Forever... I beat Duke Forever. ...That was it? Posted Image

I felt the same way. There could have been more to the game story-wise.

I hope we do get some of the cut content as dlc.

This post has been edited by Zor: 21 June 2011 - 12:58 AM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

"man-o-ee-man-o."

LOL wtf? :D

It's Mano a Mano , fist to fist :D Or Hand to Hand.

This post has been edited by DavoX: 21 June 2011 - 05:36 AM

User is offline   Loke 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 16 June 2011 - 02:59 PM, said:

[Lots of text regarding the ending]

My thoughts exactly, well said.
Oh, how I so wish they'd stayed with the leaked story documents, at least some of it.

View PostDavoX, on 13 June 2011 - 09:26 AM, said:

I thought it was pretty obvious.

Duke says he didn't like the ending. So then we know the real ending. Duke is fine and alive. Now running for president number 69 (heh). It's not really a cliffhanger. It's also a stab at the douch of president he had, always talking bad at him :)

Dude he said ''I ain't dead! I'm coming back for more!''

User is offline   Hool 

Things were cut. Back in December of 2010 there were levels such as Area 51, EDF base and some other stuff. They also cut the Easter Egg Counter from the game as-well. I heard there was a secret were you would shrink yourself then go through a crack in a wall to find a message from a developer. I think the DLC will substitute the missing levels.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options