Duke4.net Forums: My Multiplayer section - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My Multiplayer section  "come join in on the fun"

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

View Postcoheed82, on 14 June 2011 - 09:29 PM, said:

Good sir, i know all too well what you mean by Devastator hogs.. :D they fail to grasp at any other method or tactic of MP. Now combine this with the jetpack and those people can really get on your nerve. Luckily i have afew tactics that are tried & proven to help you subdue such a threat.
1. know your map
2. find tripmines, then set traps at or on the route to the devastator.
3. yeah it's DM but hey you can always voice to others playing & gang up on the hog to bring the map back to all fairness!
4. theres usually at least 2 devastator points, so grab your own and unleash fury..
5. always trust the shotgun, especially with the double damage trait & the alcohol bottle (invincible) combo at close range to subdue that little ****. :D
I know more but its hard to think of all the tactics at the moment.
Believe me, i know the frustration of starting and being blown up by a devastator hog. ESPECIALLY a devastator camper! :D

Reminds me of people on Quake Live who only use the gauntlet and nothing else.

If it weren't for the sprint crap, I think I'd have no problem dodging rockets and such, although I don't know, I don't have the game yet, should be here on the 16th. Although I have a question, how well does the shotgun do up close? The shotgun and ripper are my two favorite weapons, so I'd like to learn a bit before I chime in :D .

User is offline   coheed82 

View PostSpirrwell, on 14 June 2011 - 09:50 PM, said:

If it weren't for the sprint crap, I think I'd have no problem dodging rockets and such, although I don't know, I don't have the game yet, should be here on the 16th. Although I have a question, how well does the shotgun do up close? The shotgun and ripper are my two favorite weapons, so I'd like to learn a bit before I chime in :D .

Well, as for the Shotgun, awesome. It is a killer at close range, in MP i find it a funny challenge with me vs someone else and we both have a shotgun.. you find yourself jumping and dodging eachother and firing rounds where you expect them to go to in the next move, ive had afew good laughs over 2 minute battles doing this and finally hit the guy and win. Epic. In SP it rips the aliens apart up close. exept for the assault commander who is just to ******* big. :D
The Ripper, is beautiful. it has a decent mag, and carries 200 rounds. as the name implies it rips through aliens in SP with speed and power. in MP it feels great to use but preferably not as close to another person as the Shotgun. Hope that helps :D

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostSpirrwell, on 14 June 2011 - 09:50 PM, said:

Don't forget, the RPG often homes into you if your opponent got a lock on you. Enforcer gun blasts also tend to track you. Although I'm not sure if you have to actually be pointing the crosshairs at your target for the blasts to track them or not, if someone could clear this up for me, I'd be grateful.

View PostMicky C, on 15 June 2011 - 12:25 AM, said:

Don't forget, the RPG often homes into you if your opponent got a lock on you. Enforcer gun blasts also tend to track you. Although I'm not sure if you have to actually be pointing the crosshairs at your target for the blasts to track them or not, if someone could clear this up for me, I'd be grateful.

ill look into this mickey c, & let you know.
Yeah the good ol' RPG has saved me many a time from the evil clutches of those devastator hogs :D
the rpg, you just lock on and then you can change weapons and do what you want leaving the rocket follow your opponent til BOOM!
As for enforcer gun ill get back to ya :D

I fuckin love the MP. It's like crack. Still haven't een to sleep yet o_O

User is offline   randir14 

What the hell is wrong with performance in MP? I get over 100 fps in single player but like 30-40 online.

User is offline   DerickVonD 

...the multiplayer sucks. All it makes me want to do is play Duke3D. The two gun limit makes it very easy for you to get killed, because you have to hold the use button in and while you're doing that someone is shooting at you. You can't shoot guns with the steroids. I haven't found a level with the shrink ray and steroids making it impossible for you to get unshrunk. If someone has the devastator, you're fucked. The guns take too damn long to switch, which also gets you killed. I just paid $95 for a single player game.

• tile 1018

View PostDerickVonD, on 15 June 2011 - 05:20 PM, said:

...the multiplayer sucks. All it makes me want to do is play Duke3D. The two gun limit makes it very easy for you to get killed, because you have to hold the use button in and while you're doing that someone is shooting at you. You can't shoot guns with the steroids. I haven't found a level with the shrink ray and steroids making it impossible for you to get unshrunk. If someone has the devastator, you're fucked. The guns take too damn long to switch, which also gets you killed. I just paid $95 for a single player game.

Although I'd really love to disagree with you and point out the flaws in your argument, I can't. I DON'T HAVE FUC*ING GAME YET!! I should've paid for same day shipping... Based on the demo, the two weapon system isn't bad for me, I can handle it. Although I wonder... are there those EDF boxes that you can use to refill your ammo in multiplayer? That'd be perfect, except for a devestator hog from what I've been hearing. Damnit this wait it is the hardest when you know you're getting the game, and you still have to wait for it...

As for the shotgun, predicting a person's moves isn't hard for me once I've seen their jump tactics a few times... at least in most games for me.

View PostSpirrwell, on 15 June 2011 - 08:52 PM, said:

Although I'd really love to disagree with you and point out the flaws in your argument, I can't. I DON'T HAVE FUC*ING GAME YET!! I should've paid for same day shipping... Based on the demo, the two weapon system isn't bad for me, I can handle it. Although I wonder... are there those EDF boxes that you can use to refill your ammo in multiplayer? That'd be perfect, except for a devestator hog from what I've been hearing. Damnit this wait it is the hardest when you know you're getting the game, and you still have to wait for it...

As for the shotgun, predicting a person's moves isn't hard for me once I've seen their jump tactics a few times... at least in most games for me.

When you go to pick up a gun you have to hold the use key for atleast a good 4-5 seconds and it takes around the same amount of time to switch guns, which doesn't seem like a long time but when someone is shooting at you it is trust me. Maybe I'm just used to older games that don't have this problem like hl1, hl2, Duke3D, Doom 1, Doom 2, Doom 3, Unreal Tournament, UT 2004, UT3. None of those games have that problem. I know those games don't have a two weapon limit, but even if they did, the weapon switching is still way faster than it is in DNF. The weapon limit, ego, switching time is okay single player in fact it works well, but this formula is not good for multiplayer. I enjoyed the single player a lot, but the multiplayer is just plain and simply not good and feels like it was slapped together without any real thought put into it.

I don't understand why so many people say the multiplayer has "An old school feel." last time I checked old school games didn't have these types of problems, lack of dedicated servers, weapon limits, long switching time. The only old school style you can compare this to is halo and even that game you could switch weapons faster.

• Honored Donor

If you back enough, the real old school games didn't even have dedicated servers :D

I don't know why everybody's complaining about the weapon switching times, or even the weapon limit. When I play online, I really only carry/use one weapon at a time, I wouldn't use more than 2 even if I could. As for the weapons switching, that's never been a problem, I just hold E as I run over the weapon et voila, hey presto; that weapon's now in my hand.

User is offline   Twig 

View Postcoheed82, on 13 June 2011 - 07:10 AM, said:

Posted Image

who here thinks the guy at the top of this leaderboard is fucking a CHEAT?
:D 2 extra digits in XP? wtf?

What extra digits? :D Everyone at top has 6 digits in their xp, just the first one's is in a bigger font, that's all, and looking at his kill/death and win/lose ratio I would assume that he is just that good.

View PostDerickVonD, on 15 June 2011 - 05:20 PM, said:

I agree with the two weapon limit. And there are the fuckers who will do nothin but camp by the RPG or Devestator, but all in all, I like it alot

• Honored Donor

View PostTwig, on 16 June 2011 - 02:13 AM, said:

What extra digits? :D Everyone at top has 6 digits in their xp, just the first one's is in a bigger font, that's all, and looking at his kill/death and win/lose ratio I would assume that he is just that good.

It looks like he has a kill/death ratio of over 100. Nobody kills 100 people per every time they die, nobody is that good, not even Duke himself (hey, he's against other Dukes). Add to it that he has achieved this miracle in less than a third of the play time the next person down has, and one sixth of the playtime of the number 4 on the list (who has a better kill/death ratio than numbers 2 and 3 I might add.)

User is offline   Awesomebob 

So far my MP experience has been miserable.

Searching for games I don't even get a scrollbar, and at least half the games that come up are full by the time I can try and enter. Tried quick game / make your own and didn't have much luck. Only up-side is low ping :D

Explosives are out of fucking hand. Want to know the fastest way to clear a server? Get the Dev / RL / Enforcer. You shoot to the top and people would rather sit in the lobby than feed you combat EXP.

Freeze ray is underwhelming at best. Should have made it the DN3D version, seeing as you get that in SP for beating the game *boggle*

I don't like the shrinker. Tiny baby weapons shouldn't be able to kill giant duke before he can step on you.

No map variety. Same 6-odd maps are recycled for all game play modes. No editor to make new ones. I reckon it'll be about a year till we see good community maps. Goes to show; dev kit should have been included with release.

Multiplayer pretty much made my 7 a 5 with this game. I'd rather just load up TF2 than try and get any more levels in Duke.

I see a lot of front page hollywood. Secret to this level is stay out of the street. I placed second in a HH DM only because people took too long figuring out if they funnel JP / DEV dude into the freaking building, he was easy to take out.
I simply caged myself in the projector room and camped the theater. Ended with 50+ kills to first places 80 something, most of those from the trip bombs I used as an alarm system.
Favorite map is morning wood. Very well designed, no devastator or enforcer (based off not finding it in explore mode, and no one using it in game), plenty of cover and neat little trick areas that don't trivialize the power-ups (unlike other maps where they're just kinda out there in the open).

Here's hoping gearbox gets a dev kit out soon, or private games with steam friends (I have 1 that has the game :D) will be the only MP available.

View PostTwig, on 16 June 2011 - 02:13 AM, said:

Or win farming with friends.

This post has been edited by Awesomebob: 16 June 2011 - 06:53 AM

View PostMicky C, on 16 June 2011 - 01:29 AM, said:

If you back enough, the real old school games didn't even have dedicated servers :D

I don't know why everybody's complaining about the weapon switching times, or even the weapon limit. When I play online, I really only carry/use one weapon at a time, I wouldn't use more than 2 even if I could. As for the weapons switching, that's never been a problem, I just hold E as I run over the weapon et voila, hey presto; that weapon's now in my hand.

I am used to using a variety of weapons in multiplayer maps. I''l give you an example. In UT3, if an enemy is far away I pull out my sniper rifle, if someone gets up close I pull out the flac, if they are at medium range I pull out the rocket launcher or even the biorifle. My point is two weapon limits, limit you from being able to be innovative in your kills and makes it a lot harder to play the game and survive more than 2 minutes like in the dnf multiplayer.

• Honored Donor

Yeah but that's the thing, the gameplay is very fast paced, you're not really meant to stay alive long enough to scout out weapons for that many purposes.

View PostAwesomebob, on 16 June 2011 - 06:52 AM, said:

Favorite map is morning wood. Very well designed, no devastator or enforcer (based off not finding it in explore mode, and no one using it in game), plenty of cover and neat little trick areas that don't trivialize the power-ups (unlike other maps where they're just kinda out there in the open).

There's definitely a devastator in that map. I'm having a lot of trouble trying to find it, but lots of people have been using it there when I'm online.

What explore mode?

• tile 1018

Well, I got my BOS edition of the game, and played through Single Player on Come Get Some in 8 hours, which might really have been 7, as I got a phone call and was on it for a while.

Then I moved onto multiplayer. I did a couple quick matches which I sucked at, because it was mostly team based. Then I went to DM on a holywood holocaust server. I kicked ass for the most part, and got in first place in 2 out of 4\5\6 games. The devestator\jetpack is a deadly combination, but I just grabbed a devestator and blew whatever fucker it was away. I don't have a problem with the two weapon limit. Sometimes I gripe about it, but that's when I get my ass handed to me and I want something to blame other than my poor skill XD. I played multiplayer for about an hour, here's my current stats:

Attached Image: 2011-06-17_00001.jpg

I like it.

Edit: I'm so stupid I didn't realize it shows how many times I've won and lost. I won 3 games out of 8. Not bad for a beginner I'd say, but that's me.

This post has been edited by Spirrwell: 16 June 2011 - 11:19 PM

View PostMicky C, on 16 June 2011 - 08:52 PM, said:

Yeah but that's the thing, the gameplay is very fast paced, you're not really meant to stay alive long enough to scout out weapons for that many purposes.

There's definitely a devastator in that map. I'm having a lot of trouble trying to find it, but lots of people have been using it there when I'm online.

What explore mode?

@ Mickey C. I know where your Devastator is in the Morningwood stage. it is very easy to find, it's not amongst those buildings at all, it is right at the back amongst some big boulders and rock formations, theres two ways to get to it on either end and in the middle you can see it but you cant reach it there. nearby is a bit of a watchtower looking thing with a bottle of Steroids, i hope this helps, ive seen guys rush to that straight at the start of the level, However just the other day i was spawned in a building nearby, so i grabbed the nearby railgun and aimed towards the devastator.... someone was there grabbing it within 5 seconds of me scoping it out, and so BAM! hahahah that showed them. I guess it would be harder to get kills like this if you only had to "walk over" weapons to get them. :D

• Honored Donor

Thanks for that. I guess it's more realistic in multiplayer having to switch weapons like that, because in reality you'd have to stop to pick up and ready a gun anyway.

your welcome Mickey C.
Hey i think ive figured out whats holding me back from playing dnf offline properly.. see the below picture.. You can clearly see that my dnf full game still has the "cloud" alongside it. my sniper : ghost warrior full game, my Mafia 2 full game etc dont have that cloud there, and they all work fine offline. So does anyone know what the cloud here means? and what i do to shut this little thing up and get rid of it so i can play my game off-fucking-line? thanks guys. i sent a steam support email off but it doesnt hurt to ask ya know :D

Posted Image

i installed the game right, ya cant really get it wrong, so this will be on my mind til it's sorted.

One thing I'd really like to see them fix in Multi (well, this is a game mechanic period) is allowing me to hold crouch and not getting a "windows beep" repeatedly with a flashing cursor on the screen. Also, I get this when I zoom?

That and bring back the bullet-proof vest, it is really needed online. The weapon limit will be overcome eventually. The jump height too, probably.

View PostMr_Blastman, on 17 June 2011 - 08:57 AM, said:

One thing I'd really like to see them fix in Multi (well, this is a game mechanic period) is allowing me to hold crouch and not getting a "windows beep" repeatedly with a flashing cursor on the screen. Also, I get this when I zoom?

That and bring back the bullet-proof vest, it is really needed online. The weapon limit will be overcome eventually. The jump height too, probably.

thats weird, there should'nt be a beep, lest your sticky keys want to turn on?
& man, you dont need no bulletproof vest, just skill & possibly grab the Whisky. (in game i mean!) lol, seriously thou, ya know the 15 second invincible mode? i always try to use that with a heavy weapon and kamikaze others, as you have afew seconds where rockets you fire wont hurt you.. :D but i aint giving too many skills away here. Mickey C might be listening in & he knows how i roll! we go head to head in DM & CTB in DNF, funniest shit ever was when we went 'knucle sandwich'.. he'd get me with alot of tripmines, yet id usually win at the up close punch kills. MP is great when playing with mates, as for some others it is all guesswork really, thanks to the support of aimbots etc. those give people unfair advantages since ive seen there shotgun blasts homing in on me killing me straight off, compared to me having to fire maybe 6-7 shots just to scratch them. I for one refuse to even think of cheating in MP, i want to know ive earned my points and digs, i recently just earned the Cigar's.. and half the reason its taking me so long to level up (think im on level 19) is im usually in the SP, making the most of that. :D

uurrgh, too many bitch aimbots around in MP.. ill give it a try again tomorrow..
i hope gbx get onto this shit like fucking now. :D

• tile 1018

View Postcoheed82, on 18 June 2011 - 08:33 AM, said:

uurrgh, too many bitch aimbots around in MP.. ill give it a try again tomorrow..
i hope gbx get onto this shit like fucking now. :D

I don't understand how people can aimbot. I just have never understood it. On a side note. ReaperMan and I are pretty evenly matched I happened to join a match he was in. He kicked my ass in some matches, I kicked his ass in some matches. It's fun when you play against people you know.

User is offline   Nudek 

View PostThe Commander, on 13 June 2011 - 04:16 AM, said:

Not everyone in the world has 1st class internet like you do, Australia & New Zealand pretty much can still be rated at 3rd world for internet.

I find it annoying in MP that when you die your trip mines go as well, this was not the case in Duke 3D.

Thats a fairly generic statement to make (the Internet). I'm in Aus too and have very fast Internet. Granted there are plenty of slow areas still, but those with ADSL2+, some Cable and VDSL2 have very fast speeds.

I think more of an issue is that many servers are based in the USA and EU. Your local Internet speed won't help this.

BTW totally with you on the trips. How does a trip mine die. Hard work at creative trip placement will not be so rewarding.

• Honored Donor

If trip mines didn't die when you're killed, then everyone would put tripmines everywhere and eventually you wouldn't be able to move from one room to another without having to avoid/detonate (which isn't always possible) tripmines, and that would really slow the gameplay down. It is somewhat annoying that they die, but I can see why they did it. (Tripmines are more common in DNF multiplayer than in Duke 3D)

This post has been edited by Micky C: 18 June 2011 - 09:02 PM

• tile 1018

View PostMicky C, on 18 June 2011 - 09:02 PM, said:

If trip mines didn't die when you're killed, then everyone would put tripmines everywhere and eventually you wouldn't be able to move from one room to another without having to avoid/detonate (which isn't always possible) tripmines, and that would really slow the gameplay down. It is somewhat annoying that they die, but I can see why they did it. (Tripmines are more common in DNF multiplayer than in Duke 3D)

Well, you have to wait for them to respawn when you get them, and you can only hold four at a time, and you can shoot and blow them up, even with your pistol. Then again, I do find them useful when I'm about to die. I throw it in the general direction of the shooter, and when I die, I know it explodes :D . There is ONE thing that's been really pissing me off, and that's when the game crashes. It seems to happen mostly when the game is loading. It only happened to me once at a different time. (I was sticking my finger in the outlet, I guess I deserved that crash :D lol)

• Honored Donor

Today it crashed mid-game, and luckily it kept all the statistics that I'd gained from the time I was actually playing, so I kept my new level, and hopefully all the kills I did. It was still a shame, because I was raping everyone, and wanted a win.

User is offline   Jeff 

Something which would be really cool is if they had a practice mode where you could play against AI bots until you got really good. That's one of the things I liked about UT2004. They also had this in TF2 as well.

Speaking of low pings, I ran into this guy who had a 1 ping while the rest of us were in the 500s or so.

This post has been edited by Jeff: 18 June 2011 - 10:36 PM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options