Duke4.net Forums: IGN Review out - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

IGN Review out

User is offline   Madmaxwell 

5.5 I don't blame them for saying it is bad if it is bad it is bad, BUT and this is huge but they have been saying for months what an asshole duke nukem is and how no one in their offices liked the game, why even bother reviewing it when you don't make good points. In the preview video before the review Charlse Onyett said " I don't even know why I am playing this" and "There is not indepth story or well designed character it is like they just focused on the entertainment value" :/ just wish they would have reviewed it based on mechanics, Gunplay, and graphics no super subjective stuff.

IGN review

Video preveiw

This post has been edited by Madmaxwell: 11 June 2011 - 08:24 PM

I've noticed that IGN seemed to radiate hatred towards DNF ever since they've first made that preview video where that guy bashed DNF months before it came out and bitches that it's not like cod or halo...
I am not going to say if their review is flawed or not because I haven't played the full game yet, however I don't think this is good.
There are lots of people that base their decisions on what to buy by reading reviews from sites such as this and this is definitely not a good thing for future sales,I am sure of it.
We as fans bought it because we've waited 15 years for it but the other gamers and casuals are going to most likely skip it.
We all knew this would happen didn't we?
Was anybody here expecting DNF to get 8's and 9's across the board just because it's Duke and it's been 15 years in development?
It would have been cool if all sites gave DNF reviews based on nostalgia or something but these sites act like politicians, they don't give a shit about the characters or about their fans or development time.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 11 June 2011 - 07:41 PM

View PostMr.Deviance, on 11 June 2011 - 07:36 PM, said:

I've noticed that IGN seemed to radiate hatred towards DNF ever since they've first made that preview video where that guy bashed DNF months before it came out.
I am not going to say if their review is flawed or not because I haven't played the full game yet, however I don't think this is good.
There are lots of people that base their decisions on what to buy by reading reviews from sites such as this and this is definitely not a good thing for sales, I am sure of it.

I am not saying it is flawed cause they knocked the game I am saying it is flawed because they gave the review to someone who HATES it the guy called it sexist in a podcast along with the first one as well as stupid and he was talking about Duke nukem in general. That is like having me review superman 64 I fucking hate that game and I have never played it if I reviewed it I would probably play two levels and quit. The guy based his review off playing only a portion of the way through the game from what I understand.

IGN are a joke.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

What the hell... no link to insult the guy? that's bad...

View PostMadmaxwell, on 11 June 2011 - 07:38 PM, said:

I am not saying it is flawed cause they knocked the game I am saying it is flawed because they gave the review to someone who HATES it the guy called it sexist in a podcast along with the first one as well as stupid and he was talking about Duke nukem in general. That is like having me review superman 64 I fucking hate that game and I have never played it if I reviewed it I would probably play two levels and quit. The guy based his review off playing only a portion of the way through the game from what I understand.

I know that guy is a hater but you see, the majority of people that base their investment decisions on such reviews, don't even bother to read the review, they just scroll down to see the grade and then they go like "AWWWWWWW" and close the page and start telling everybody that "OMFG IGN gave DNF a 5.5"
That hater is not representing himself on that review site, he is representing the grade that IGN gives to DNF and the grade that will have an impact in sales.
You should also consider that other game review sites wait a bigger one to review a game so they can follow in it's tracks with their reviews.
Some of the game review sites don't have the balls to call a game bad or good without bigger sites having a say on it first.
Now that IGN decided to take a wet diarrhea on DNF, other review sites will most likely follow IGN's trend and share their opinion.

User is offline   SavagE 

but I agree with this review to most extent. I, myself, would give this game a 6.5 however I havent played MP yet.

the game IS hypocritical and HAS identity crisis. It tried to merge Halo with Half-Life 2 and not succeeded. GB and folks had some great ideas and concepts but really couldnt deliver. At least we can hope for a proper sequel from gbx now.

I am open for discussion with IGN haters :>

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

People still care what IGN thinks? Really? We'll see what Metacritic says when the reviews roll in. I don't think many will share some lame IGN reviewer's view.

View PostMr.Deviance, on 11 June 2011 - 07:48 PM, said:

I know that guy is a hater but you see, the majority of people that base their investment decisions on such reviews, don't even bother to read the review, they just scroll down to see the grade and then they go like "AWWWWWWW" and close the page and start telling everybody that "OMFG IGN gave DNF a 5.5"
That hater is not representing himself on that review site, he is representing the grade that IGN gives to DNF and the grade that will have an impact in sales.
You should also consider that other game review sites wait a bigger one to review a game so they can follow in it's tracks with their reviews.
Some of the game review sites don't have the balls to call a game bad or good without bigger sites having a say on it first.
Now that IGN decided to take a wet diarrhea on DNF, other review sites will most likely follow IGN's trend and share their opinion.

IGN is the biggest game site on the internet as proven by their Guinness book of world records of most individual hits of any site. They are the most main stream and other than their reviews and some of there reviewers thinking there views are the most holy and noble thing on the planet I like most there content or use to. Bigger is not always better.

also I added the review and video preview ((personally I like how game trailers breaks down their review the best :3 ))

This post has been edited by Madmaxwell: 11 June 2011 - 08:36 PM

View PostTX, on 11 June 2011 - 08:08 PM, said:

People still care what IGN thinks? Really? We'll see what Metacritic says when the reviews roll in. I don't think many will share some lame IGN reviewer's view.

I think cod and halo fans care about what IGN has to say.
I know, it's sad but this is the world we are living in.
With each year that passes, we are becoming the minority and cod and halo fans are becoming the people that are right while me, you and everybody that wants to join our club, are ignorantly being called outdated pc fanboys that look like this
Posted Image

By people that usually have lots in common with these pictures for some reason...

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I can pretty much say that this trollface picture is the logo that represents an entire generation of failures, trolls, haters immature, cod obsessed, people that want to destroy everything that doesn't fit this medium.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 11 June 2011 - 08:50 PM

User is offline   Hank 

This IGN review is funny. Yeah, I love it. No wait! Please! I quote
In a strip club stage that's crudely deployed as a dream sequence Duke can play air hockey, a version of whack-a-mole, and a simple pinball game. These are meant as distractions, but along with his ability to interact with a handful of other random objects, they're distractions with a point. These 'Duke-like' actions extend the length of his Ego (health) bar, adding concrete incentive to explore and discover more ways for Duke to express his boundless self-satisfaction.
This is unwanted advertisement for the game to enter the market. A game with a pinball game in it, Ego+ stuff, and encouraging to explore the game. - That's what I wanted from DNF and IGN just confirmed it. w00t.

View PostMr.Deviance, on 11 June 2011 - 08:36 PM, said:

With each year that passes, we are becoming the minority and cod and halo fans are becoming the people that are right while me, you and everybody that wants to join our club, are ignorantly being called outdated pc fanboys that look like this
Posted Image

By people that usually have lots in common with this picture for some reason...

Posted Image

I can pretty much say that this trollface picture is the logo that represents an entire generation of failures, trolls, haters immature, cod loving halo loving people.

Sad but true I will give a cookie to anyone who knows what this symbol is from without looking it up on google
Posted Image

99% of Cod players will not know what that is from my poor favorite ; - ; game duke 3d is second if your wonder

User is offline   Jeff 

I really hate reading reviews where all someone can do is complain. They occasionally said some parts of the game were taking up space? They're wasting their breath by putting out negative reviews.

View PostJeff, on 11 June 2011 - 08:59 PM, said:

I really hate reading reviews where all someone can do is complain. They occasionally said some parts of the game were taking up space? They're wasting their breath by putting out negative reviews.

Some games do honestly waste time to stretch it out I have played a LOT of games the worst usually do :/ hope for duke it is not true.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostMr.Deviance, on 11 June 2011 - 08:36 PM, said:

With each year that passes, we are becoming the minority and cod and halo fans are becoming the people that are right while me, you and everybody that wants to join our club, are ignorantly being called outdated pc fanboys

Heh, yeah. I don't know about anyone else but I place very, very little value in the opinions of a bunch of dorks whose idea of a good game is using a couple of controller thumbsticks to clumsily maneuver some generic fatigue-wearing character that never says anything through battles that tend to revolve around the concept of hiding.

In a way, maybe the IGN review is favorable. As far as I'm concerned, DNF isn't really for people who get off on the generic soldier shooters. It's a shame that they happen to be most of the market these days, but no amount of anything really is going to make people who don't "get" it see the light. The biggest effect the IGN review will probably have will be preventing a bunch of idiots from warezing the game and then turning around and complaining about how much they hate it because it's nothing like Call of Duty. HALO fans might like it though... the bits of HALO I've played seemed fairly fast paced in comparison to the CoD shit.

People just need to understand that Duke doesn't take itself seriously and they shouldn't either.

User is offline   Kathy 

I've read IGN's review and think their logic is sound and not bashing for the sake of it. They gave DNF a "mediocre" score, not "bad", you know.

View PostTX, on 11 June 2011 - 08:08 PM, said:

Metacritic? The site that just slaps every reviewer's score together when many sites have different scale/opinions about scores? Yeah...

User is offline   ThePinkus 

View PostHelel, on 11 June 2011 - 09:12 PM, said:

They gave DNF a "mediocre" score, not "bad", you know.

Whats the difference?

User is offline   Sandman 

The video commentary posted a few days ago put a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to the objectivity of the reviewer. No one was expecting a stellar score that is for sure, but 5.5 is a pretty uncommon score out of IGN. PC is getting a seperate review in a few days, guess we will see if its any better.

User is offline   greyXstar 

Lol Halo fans don't care about what IGN says either. That sites been a joke for many many years now That score is no surprise given how they've been trashing Duke in the previews. The only bad thing is casuals may not know that and pass on DNF because of the bad review, and that would be a shame.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostThePinkus, on 11 June 2011 - 09:21 PM, said:

Whats the difference?

"Mediocre" is between "good" and "bad".
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/mediocre

User is offline   A BOMB 

I've checked all the reviews DNF has gotten so far and they've been all terrible with the exception of IGN's. I'd go as far as calling it one of the few genuinely well written reviews they have published.
He brings up good points, the game enjoys making fun of other shooters yet a lot of its mechanics are exact replicas of those which it mocks.
As mentioned in the review, Duke makes fun of Master Chief yet he himself has the shield system from the Halo games, only renamed as Ego.
There's a bit where Duke tells an alien that it makes him wish he had three guns. Only because he's mocking the weapon system doesn't suddenly mean everything is all right.
Then there's also the matter that the game seems to have this attitude where it's over the top action when in reality there's long stretches of time where absolutely nothing happens. You can find more action in the average Call of Duty campaign.
"I hate valve puzzles" Duke says at one point, ignoring all the dozens of physics puzzles done up to that point in the game.

It's a fun game, but it seems to have a lot of identity issues.

User is offline   ch108 

AHAHAHAHAHA that was very funny :dukecry: ...seriously now where's the real review?

View Postch108, on 12 June 2011 - 01:39 AM, said:

AHAHAHAHAHA that was very funny :dukecry: ...seriously now where's the real review?

>__>

User is offline   SavagE 

View PostA BOMB, on 12 June 2011 - 01:32 AM, said:

I've checked all the reviews DNF has gotten so far and they've been all terrible with the exception of IGN's. I'd go as far as calling it one of the few genuinely well written reviews they have published.
He brings up good points, the game enjoys making fun of other shooters yet a lot of its mechanics are exact replicas of those which it mocks.
As mentioned in the review, Duke makes fun of Master Chief yet he himself has the shield system from the Halo games, only renamed as Ego.
There's a bit where Duke tells an alien that it makes him wish he had three guns. Only because he's mocking the weapon system doesn't suddenly mean everything is all right.
Then there's also the matter that the game seems to have this attitude where it's over the top action when in reality there's long stretches of time where absolutely nothing happens. You can find more action in the average Call of Duty campaign.
"I hate valve puzzles" Duke says at one point, ignoring all the dozens of physics puzzles done up to that point in the game.

so true! It reminds me when in manhattan project duke once said "Oh how typical - a cliched underground factory" when entering one. All the mockeries would have been a lot better if the mechanics behind them were different/superior.

View PostA BOMB, on 12 June 2011 - 01:32 AM, said:

PC Gamer gave it an 80, which isn't too bad. Either way, I don't care what the reveiew scores are; I'm buying it this Tuesday anyways.

Oh, and I don't care what score X-Play gives this game either; their opinion stopped being important a long time ago.

Now, I'm sure some people will say "You hate the review because it's negative". But really, we hate it because it's IGN. Some people forget that there is a reason that "You can't spell ignorant without IGN" exists as a phrase.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostBraveTriforcer, on 12 June 2011 - 08:50 AM, said:

Now, I'm sure some people will say "You hate the review because it's negative". But really, we hate it because it's IGN. Some people forget that there is a reason that "You can't spell ignorant without IGN" exists as a phrase.

If you disagree with the points the reviewer makes then feel free to argue against those points. You're not going to win the debate by resorting to infantile ad hominems.

Fuck IGN, should rename it to Ignorant gaming noobs... dnf had the best gameplay i have ever seen in any fps to date, ill tell you why they gave it a low mark, because gearbox didnt PAY them to give it a high mark, unlike what the developers of call of failure games do. no doubt call of duty will win fps of the year again because of all the faggot fan boys who know nothing of true art when they see it... man fuck all the haters of this game, if you didnt find it fun then there is somthing wrong with you PERIOD... ive sat though it 3 times and am going though my 4th time, loving every second of it, unlike what any call of faggotry game has ever done for me. Call of duty needs to die so that real games such as dnf can flower without being stamped on. I am not going to say sorry if i have offended anyone because the sooner people wake up and see the damage this fucking franchise has done to pc games in general the sooner we can move on, as for now... they will continue to sell well because people love braindead games with no soul. Duke Nukem, when the gaming time was good and uncorrupted...

Love Josh <3

This post has been edited by GothicBunny: 12 June 2011 - 10:27 AM

User is offline   trustn0! 

Just played black ops
Not sure why people praise that piece of crap

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View Posttrustn0!, on 12 June 2011 - 11:09 AM, said:

Just played black ops
Not sure why people praise that piece of crap

At least it's consistently average, with several "wow, that's cool" moments thrown in.

Also, as the IGN review points out, DNF is not quite as different from CoD & CoD clones as it claims to be.

View PostGothicBunny, on 12 June 2011 - 10:17 AM, said:

Fuck IGN, should rename it to Ignorant gaming noobs... dnf had the best gameplay i have ever seen in any fps to date, ill tell you why they gave it a low mark, because gearbox didnt PAY them to give it a high mark, unlike what the developers of call of failure games do. no doubt call of duty will win fps of the year again because of all the faggot fan boys who know nothing of true art when they see it... man fuck all the haters of this game, if you didnt find it fun then there is somthing wrong with you PERIOD... ive sat though it 3 times and am going though my 4th time, loving every second of it, unlike what any call of faggotry game has ever done for me. Call of duty needs to die so that real games such as dnf can flower without being stamped on. I am not going to say sorry if i have offended anyone because the sooner people wake up and see the damage this fucking franchise has done to pc games in general the sooner we can move on, as for now... they will continue to sell well because people love braindead games with no soul. Duke Nukem, when the gaming time was good and uncorrupted...

Love Josh <3

This and the IGN review are two sides of the same coin.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options