Duke4.net Forums: IGN Review out - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

IGN Review out

User is offline   Xgthug 

A lot of good points have already been made in this thread.
But yeah, the rating score is accurate, but their reasoning is all wrong. While they should have been complaining about the CoD/Halo like gameplay, they decided to rag on the only things Duke-like that remained in the game.
"TEH STORY LINE AND GRAPHICS AREn'T GEWD ENOUGH AND TEH CONTENT OFFENDED ME LOLOLOL"
These casual "mountain-dew gamers" have probably never even touched Duke3D.

Duke is not to be tamed. Duke is not to be censored. Duke is not to be CoD or Halo.

Also, everything Mr. Deviance said.

This post has been edited by Xgthug: 12 June 2011 - 01:19 PM

I figured this would as good time as any to start posting here.

IGN once again has proven that you can't spell ignorant without IGN.

Seriously gentlemen, what the hell were they thinking? To pitch a feminist wuss to review a Duke Nukem game in the first place? There was no way this could've ended in any other way than just badly. If you're the kind of guy that considers Duke's sexism to be offensive in an M-rated game, then you're man enough to be call yourself a man, much less review such said Duke Nukem game. And why the hell is he bitching about this game not being enough Call-of-Duty-ish? Is the CoD franchise some sort of stantard-mandatory guideline on how to design first-person shooters? Someone has to keep that guy away from Bodycount when it ships or he's gonna bleed all over his tampons.

User is offline   randir14 

Are you the same 3rdmillhouse from MP.net?

This post has been edited by randir14: 12 June 2011 - 02:05 PM

View Postrandir14, on 12 June 2011 - 02:04 PM, said:

Are you the same 3rdmillhouse from MP.net?

Yep, formerly though. Got kicked out.

User is offline   A BOMB 

View Post3rdmillhouse, on 12 June 2011 - 01:56 PM, said:

I figured this would as good time as any to start posting here.

IGN once again has proven that you can't spell ignorant without IGN.

Seriously gentlemen, what the hell were they thinking? To pitch a feminist wuss to review a Duke Nukem game in the first place? There was no way this could've ended in any other way than just badly. If you're the kind of guy that considers Duke's sexism to be offensive in an M-rated game, then you're man enough to be call yourself a man, much less review such said Duke Nukem game. And why the hell is he bitching about this game not being enough Call-of-Duty-ish? Is the CoD franchise some sort of stantard-mandatory guideline on how to design first-person shooters? Someone has to keep that guy away from Bodycount when it ships or he's gonna bleed all over his tampons.

Are you talking about the video? That's a preview done months ago. The actual written review doesn't mention anything about it needing to be Call of Duty or any comments about sexism other than a remark that Duke likes to objectify women.

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

How come nobody here is bashing Eurogamer's 3/10 review?

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMad Max RW, on 12 June 2011 - 05:21 PM, said:

I'm not in Europe. As for bashing - what for. Same as IGN, while they lamenting about 'physics', they inadvertently advertise the game. They just mentioned I can play basketball, hockey as well as pinball. I stopped reading then - still at least a week before I get the official version. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 12 June 2011 - 05:50 PM

User is offline   Madmaxwell 

View PostMad Max RW, on 12 June 2011 - 05:21 PM, said:

that is based on mechanics and graphical glitches, not really subjective stuff least from what I read.

User is offline   A BOMB 

View PostMadmaxwell, on 12 June 2011 - 06:56 PM, said:

that is based on mechanics and graphical glitches, not really subjective stuff least from what I read.

The parts where the reviewer starts talking about parts he enjoyed are subjective. I thought the driving sections were utter shit, for example.

The IGN review at least states facts like the game's hypocrisy.

what assholes... 3/10? i thought it was at least 9/10...

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostGothicBunny, on 12 June 2011 - 07:02 PM, said:

And that is the heart of the matter.
Reviews are subjective.
End of story.

Edit: No, I'd better explain myself, otherwise someone is sure to downrate me for being too vague. Basically, the only difference between you and a professional reviewer is that someone is getting paid to write their opinion. Yes, there have been instances in which reviewers have been essentially paid by companies to inflate a game's score (this happens a lot with Electronic Arts games). This is why most people don't rely on professional reviews anymore, and instead go by word-of-mouth, and frankly I've heard varying opinions of all sorts from regular gamers. Call it sour grapes if you will, that's just the way it is nowadays.

This post has been edited by The Mighty Bison: 12 June 2011 - 10:12 PM

IGN hasn't been relevant in...I don't know how long. Yeah, just for being as biased as they were for the review, they can def go suck a dick. Just my opinion...

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostThe Mighty Bison, on 12 June 2011 - 10:03 PM, said:

This is why most people don't rely on professional reviews anymore, and instead go by word-of-mouth, and frankly I've heard varying opinions of all sorts from regular gamers.

I still take a well-argued three-page review over a fan going "it's awesome because it's Duke", especially when those reviews seem consistent with the footage I've seen of the game.

User is offline   Kathy 

And reviewers do take notes during the game. And analyze stuff. Plus they played lots of games to be able to compare. That's good reviewers of course. But neverthelss reviews are still subjective.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostHank, on 12 June 2011 - 05:49 PM, said:

I'm not in Europe. As for bashing - what for. Same as IGN, while they lamenting about 'physics', they inadvertently advertise the game. They just mentioned I can play basketball, hockey as well as pinball.

What difference does it make where you are? You think Europeans have a different taste in games? If anything, you'd expect Europeans to appreciate DNF a bit more due to our less narrow-minded attitude toward sexuality and profanity.

And believe me this review doesn't "inadvertently advertise the game". These reviews wil hurt sales.

View PostGothicBunny, on 12 June 2011 - 07:02 PM, said:

Ooh, still living in denial? The game is a failure (even if I personally consider it "pretty good" rather than 3/10).

User is offline   trustn0! 

Im not sure why people are suprised by this
We knew all long the game was going to be bombed in the reviews and we could have seen from alot of the preview footage the faults the game had.
But as ive mentioned before the game wont have a loss it can only do good.Marketing budget has already been dealth with imo so now its just pure profit

View Postthelegend4ever, on 13 June 2011 - 02:25 AM, said:

IGN hasn't been relevant in...I don't know how long. Yeah, just for being as biased as they were for the review, they can def go suck a dick. Just my opinion...

They must be somewhat relevant if their review got its own threads with one going one for 15+ pages at the Gearbox forum.

User is offline   Kathy 

Touche.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Posttrustn0!, on 13 June 2011 - 06:57 AM, said:

Im not sure why people are suprised by this
We knew all long the game was going to be bombed in the reviews and we could have seen from alot of the preview footage the faults the game had.
But as ive mentioned before the game wont have a loss it can only do good.Marketing budget has already been dealth with imo so now its just pure profit

In reality, they will have to sell a lot more copies to make a profit, and I doubt there are enough Duke Nukem fans left in the world to make that happen. You have to consider all the money that Gearbox paid, not only for their own development costs, but also to 3D Realms for the unfinished game and the IP.

In my opinion, Gearbox made one big mistake. They were trying to prove that they could beat the DNF curse and release a game, instead of taking their time and making sure the game met high standards. The truth is it needed another year in development, to correct the flaws and add polish. Also this would have given them time to put together a nice dev tools package. But I guess they were afraid that they would become the butt of jokes like 3DR had, and maybe they even thought they would succomb to the DNF curse and development would have continued with no end in sight. Hell, maybe it would have been better to scrap DNF entirely and make a new game from scratch; the Duke Nukem IP is the most important asset after all. Yes, it had been 14 years "in development" but Gearbox had only had it a short time, and they should not have felt pressure to get it out the door quickly. Perhaps they have plans to make a new game from scratch regardless of how well DNF sells, but bad publicity for DNF will hurt the IP and give them a steeper hill to climb with the next Duke Nukem release.

View PostDeeperThought, on 13 June 2011 - 09:30 AM, said:

In reality, they will have to sell a lot more copies to make a profit, and I doubt there are enough Duke Nukem fans left in the world to make that happen. You have to consider all the money that Gearbox paid, not only for their own development costs, but also to 3D Realms for the unfinished game and the IP. I would like it to make a profit, because otherwise there will not be a sequel, and the Duke Nukem franchise will end on a sour note.

In my opinion, Gearbox made one big mistake. They were trying to prove that they could beat the DNF curse and release a game, instead of taking their time and making sure the game met high standards. The truth is it needed another year in development, to correct the flaws and add polish. Also this would have given them time to put together a nice dev tools package. But I guess they were afraid that they would become the butt of jokes like 3DR had, and maybe they even thought they would succomb to the DNF curse and development would have continued with no end in sight. Hell, maybe it would have been better to scrap DNF entirely and make a new game from scratch; the Duke Nukem IP is the most important asset after all. Yes, it had been 14 years "in development" but Gearbox had only had it a short time, and they should not have felt pressure to get it out the door quickly. Perhaps they have plans to make a new game from scratch regardless of how well DNF sells, but bad publicity for DNF will hurt the IP and give them a steeper hill to climb with the next Duke Nukem release.

Don't let DN4EVR see this! He might call you a hater and ask why you are still a moderator here!

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 13 June 2011 - 09:35 AM

View PostDeeperThought, on 13 June 2011 - 09:30 AM, said:

In reality, they will have to sell a lot more copies to make a profit, and I doubt there are enough Duke Nukem fans left in the world to make that happen. You have to consider all the money that Gearbox paid, not only for their own development costs, but also to 3D Realms for the unfinished game and the IP.

The biggest problems with the game are rooted in its core structure.Nothing Gearbox could have done would have saved the game
The bad design of the levels
The scripted events
The pacing of the whole game
From what i know the deal was to receive the IP as long as they shipped the game.Gearbox arent morons they knew the game had major flaws,so yes they probably just shipped it out just so they can say they shipped the unshippable game.They paid for the IP and im sure with the sucess of Borderlands they have plenty to spare.
I still bet on Duke,only hoping his luck changes next time around

This post has been edited by trustn0!: 13 June 2011 - 12:11 PM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

The reality of Duke Nukem Forever is that it's absolute garbage that should have stayed confined to the bowels of Development Hell.

http://www.destructo...03658.phtml#ext

It's notable that it's the XBox360 version that's been the most panned by critics. The obvious conclusion is that catering to consolists has been a waste.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 13 June 2011 - 06:07 AM, said:

And believe me this review doesn't "inadvertently advertise the game". These reviews wil hurt sales.

I doubt it. Who takes those idiots serious? I get games on what I think is fun to play not what irrelevant insects buzz around.
Anyway, the game six started.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

To be honest I fully expected this game to recieve bad reviews simply for the fact that it's late and could never live up to 14 years of hype. I find the stuff people tend to say about it hyperbolic though like "the game looks like it was made in the 90's" when we had none of the tech that is in DNF in the 90's nor much of the new mechanics in it. Most of the stuff in Duke3D is rudimentary compared to it including the interactivity.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostHank, on 13 June 2011 - 04:19 PM, said:

Who takes those idiots serious?

The millions who have no particular attachment to the franchise (the last good Duke game being from 1996) and as such have to go by what reviews say. That's what reviews are for.

View PostTetsuo, on 13 June 2011 - 04:27 PM, said:

To be honest I fully expected this game to recieve bad reviews simply for the fact that it's late and could never live up to 14 years of hype.

Prior to playing the game, I never expected the game to be subjected to almost Daikatana-like backlash.

This post has been edited by Mikko_Sandt: 13 June 2011 - 04:47 PM

Not sure why people are backlashing this like Daikatana
Daikatana was among many other thngs BROKEN
DNF may be alot of things but its functional

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 13 June 2011 - 04:46 PM, said:

The millions who have no particular attachment to the franchise (the last good Duke game being from 1996) and as such have to go by what reviews say. That's what reviews are for.

I'm not gonna watch the rest of the game. Fuck, I have it now in HD TV, and Vancouver shows no defence whatsoever-

Anyway - sorry? what millions? All three write ups are so one sided, even a brain dead could not take the writing serious. So the game will not be game of the year. Ever watched the Oscars? They picked the most boring films, as winners. Cannes is even worse. Critics care to be in the news, and not what was a hit at the box office. And those peeps who wrote that obvious trash, aim for the same thing. To be talked about. Fuck them. - I trust the masses. They don't follow critics. They don't need critics. They are quite happy having fun. And DNF is a fun game. And in the long run, I truly think, DNF will win the hearts of a lot of gamers.

Nowadays when I read reviews about something, the second I realize the reviewer has some biased opinion on the subject before-hand, I pretty much say in my head, "Alright, whatever this candy ass says, I'll probably think the opposite." And I'm usually right. I'm a real fan of what he's reviewing, whereas to him it's just some crap he has to do that day. And something he morally disagrees with at that. Their job is to pick it apart, but no matter how hard they try, it's based on what they THINK or FEEL. Well I think and feel differently than them, so I'll read their words, but probably toss them in the trash right afterwards.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostHank, on 13 June 2011 - 05:02 PM, said:

Anyway - sorry? what millions? All three write ups are so one sided, even a brain dead could not take the writing serious. So the game will not be game of the year. Ever watched the Oscars? They picked the most boring films, as winners. Cannes is even worse. Critics care to be in the news, and not what was a hit at the box office. And those peeps who wrote that obvious trash, aim for the same thing. To be talked about. Fuck them. - I trust the masses. They don't follow critics. They don't need critics. They are quite happy having fun. And DNF is a fun game. And in the long run, I truly think, DNF will win the hearts of a lot of gamers.

If we go by your "what's popular is right" then CoD must be the most incredible franchise ever and Jerry Bruckheimer to greatest director ever.

I'm not gonna watch the rest of the game. Fuck, I have it now in HD TV, and Vancouver shows no defence whatsoever-

Don't worry - I'll watch it for you. I like how NBC flashed 7uongo's "I'd have made that save" comment on screen as he was heading to the bench.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 13 June 2011 - 05:14 PM, said:

If we go by your "what's popular is right" then CoD must be the most incredible franchise ever and Jerry Bruckheimer to greatest director ever.

Don't worry - I'll watch it for you. I like how NBC flashed 7uongo's "I'd have made that save" comment on screen as he was heading to the bench.

Well, their bank accounts, each, are a little bigger than all those three critics combined, methinks. Sorry to disappoint intellectually, but I really don't give a shit about critics. They never created anything except an endless supply of toilet paper and waste of bandwidth. The only time I take a critic serious when they created art for themselves (You and Forge for example), because then there is a good chance they know what they are talking about. Say, if John Riccitiello says, DNF sucks, sure,I'll listen. He may have a point after all.

How about this - After you are done watching the game (I'll watch a JB movie tonight) – give me just one quote of any of those three links, worthy of contemplation.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options