• "Dick Nasty"

Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

Well, its a dam. I'll be damned. :)

User is offline   crunchysuperman 

• Honored Donor

Since this is supposed to be a little ways in the future, I'm wondering if they went ahead and put the finished bridge in the game.

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

It'll be sort of funny if the bridge is already gone 'cause the aliens destroyed it!!!

User is offline   MartyMcFly 

yeah in one frame u can even see some of the water.
im happy the dam is still in. i hope the donkey in the desert part is still in it too

User is offline   Micki! 

• Candy Consumptionist & Administrator

I can't wait for the Whole Dam story :)

(1999 era screenshots pun)

wow, all these things you found out, very nice!
BTW, Kaiser where is your analysis, or did I missed something?!

User is offline   Halcyon 

Nice find! :)

User is offline   crunchysuperman 

• Honored Donor

View PostMicki!, on Dec 21 2007, 05:33 AM, said:

I can't wait for the Whole Dam story :)

(1999 era screenshots pun)

I toured Hoover dam a few months ago. While the ticker didn't say "the whole dam story", the interior was actually quite accurate, save a few post-9/11 security changes.

User is offline   Micki! 

It must be cool experiencing a place in a game, where you've been at in real life before...

I can't brag about having seen my local city in a game ever...

I wonder if those, who do know Vegas and Hoover dam, will be able to recognize, and even know the environment fully beforehand, before actually experiencing them in-game...

Would be kinda cool knowing what's around the next corner to those people, even if they haven't gotten through the game...

Assuming the interior will be more or less accurate to the real thing...

User is offline   Halcyon 

View PostMicki!, on Dec 21 2007, 06:24 PM, said:

It must be cool experiencing a place in a game, where you've been at in real life before...

I travelled to Trier a few months before Deus Ex: Invisible War came out. However, the Trier levels didn't really have much in common with the real city. It was nice to go through the virtual Porta Nigra, though...

User is offline   ultra tree 85! 

• Honored Donor

Cool! :) I was wondering about whether or not Hoover Dam would be back! It's one of the areas of the game that I'm the most excited about. B)

User is offline   Micki! 

View PostHalcyon, on Dec 21 2007, 06:44 PM, said:

I travelled to Trier a few months before Deus Ex: Invisible War came out. However, the Trier levels didn't really have much in common with the real city. It was nice to go through the virtual Porta Nigra, though...

I hope people will get that "Familar" feel when they have been there, and play DNF...

And the other way around... I'd be like "hey, this place an Octabrain almost killed me" While guards around the facility would look strangely at me...

...or nod understandingly to me, because they knew the Octabrains from Duke3D and understand my blabble, hahaha...

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostMicki!, on Dec 21 2007, 09:24 AM, said:

I can't brag about having seen my local city in a game ever...

I wonder if those, who do know Vegas and Hoover dam, will be able to recognize, and even know the environment fully beforehand, before actually experiencing them in-game...

Would be kinda cool knowing what's around the next corner to those people, even if they haven't gotten through the game...

Assuming the interior will be more or less accurate to the real thing...

Well, I live in the Philly area(no, not in Garland) and I keep meaning to rent the new tony hawk game just to skate around places like love park where i've visited so many times.

I seriously wonder if any hoover dam employees will see or play DNF and get a huge kick out of it.

It must be weird playing through your working area and seeing it become destroyed/invaded by aliens.

If anything, I'm sure they'd be quite flattered and amused.

Maybe after a bad day at work, they could go home take out some aggressions......

But does anyone think there may be some sort of problem with DNF's real life levels?

Remember how the mayor of Vegas tried to prevent RB6 Vegas from being released due to the terrorism theme?

Or maybe they'll figure that pig-like aliens don't pose as much of a threat to the city as of now?

Can you imagine Vegas/hoover dam officials releasing the statement:

"We, the city of Las Vegas, believe the computer game Duke Nukem Forever to be a risk to our city's well-being due to the fact that it may encourage extra-terrestrial beings to invade and cause chaos on our streets."

I can actually imagine Jack Thompson trying to raise this point as a legit argument.

View PostDuke Rocks, on Dec 21 2007, 11:47 PM, said:

Well, I live in the Philly area(no, not in Garland) and I keep meaning to rent the new tony hawk game just to skate around places like love park where i've visited so many times.
I seriously wonder if any hoover dam employees will see or play DNF and get a huge kick out of it.

It must be weird playing through your working area and seeing it become destroyed/invaded by aliens.

If anything, I'm sure they'd be quite flattered and amused.
Maybe after a bad day at work, they could go home take out some aggressions......
But does anyone think there may be some sort of problem with DNF's real life levels?

Remember how the mayor of Vegas tried to prevent RB6 Vegas from being released due to the terrorism theme?

Or maybe they'll figure that pig-like aliens don't pose as much of a threat to the city as of now?

"We, the city of Las Vegas, believe the computer game Duke Nukem Forever to be a risk to our city's well-being due to the fact that it may encourage extra-terrestrial beings to invade and cause chaos on our streets."

I can actually imagine Jack Thompson trying to raise this point as a legit argument.

no I don't think so, because it isn't as real as Rainbow Six Vegas.

You said there will be more coming in media regards. Please don't say it still takes 2 months or so. I need more Duke! At least a new screenshot

User is offline   Micki! 

Duke Rocks, yes that is exactly the kind of reaction that i think would be cool to imagine...

View PostDuke Rocks, on Dec 21 2007, 11:47 PM, said:

This is actually very funny, because it actually sounds like something that could happen indeed :)

When I first started at 3DR, I hadn't ever been to Hoover Dam. The guys building it (the 2001 era version of it) had been though. So I got to walk around that a lot and get a good feel for it.

When I finally went there a few years later, I was able to know exactly where to go based on what I knew in the game. It was uncanny... they had done a great job replicating it (but still making it a "video game" space).

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostWieder, on Dec 21 2007, 07:23 PM, said:

When I first started at 3DR, I hadn't ever been to Hoover Dam. The guys building it (the 2001 era version of it) had been though. So I got to walk around that a lot and get a good feel for it.

When I finally went there a few years later, I was able to know exactly where to go based on what I knew in the game. It was uncanny... they had done a great job replicating it (but still making it a "video game" space).

Haha, awesome. You should give out complimentary copies of the game to people applying for a job as a tour guide.

But now we know who Jack Thompson will turn to if there is ever a terrorist attack on the dam.

Jack:
"Had it not been for a picture perfect representation of the Hoover Dam featured in Rockstar's game "Duke Nukem Forever" these criminals would have not been able to carry out their plans to flood the lower half of the country."

On a more serious note, I absolutely can not wait to see what those alien bastards have in store for this national landmark.

Oh, and I just remembered:
From an EXTREMELY old and rare online preview(circa '98) it said we shouldn't be surprise if we are able to jetski over the dam while blowing it to smithereens.

Can anyone find this preview archived somewhere? It was pretty long and featured a bunch of juicy tidbits. It was of George showing off the Quake 2 build to some journalist in a one-on-one session.

Of course that version was scrapped and it has nothing to with the games current state etc etc, but it's still a very interesting read.

User is offline   Micki! 

View PostWieder, on Dec 22 2007, 04:23 AM, said:

That's very cool, and it's exactly what i was thinking about...
I hope it's still very true to the real thing in DNF (current version)... But, since the 2001 build seemed accurate, i would guess that there's absolutely no reason to think otherwise...

View PostMicki!, on Dec 22 2007, 07:15 AM, said:

That's very cool, and it's exactly what i was thinking about...
I hope it's still very true to the real thing in DNF (current version)... But, since the 2001 build seemed accurate, i would guess that there's absolutely no reason to think otherwise...

I honestly don't know what the current version will be like. The longer it takes between the last version I saw and what eventually gets released, the more I'll get to be surprised by it just like everyone else. The hardcore duke fan in me hopes they take long enough and change enough that I'm constantly wondering what will be popping up next. :)

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Come on don't be like that to us :)

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostWieder, on Dec 22 2007, 05:46 PM, said:

I honestly don't know what the current version will be like. The longer it takes between the last version I saw and what eventually gets released, the more I'll get to be surprised by it just like everyone else. The hardcore duke fan in me hopes they take long enough and change enough that I'm constantly wondering what will be popping up next. :)

lol.....as much as i see your "concerns", I sincerely hope to god 3DR doesn't read this and decide to change the game more so they can surprise Charlie, too!

but if you had the option to have the game pushed back AGAIN so it would be fresh when you personally played it would you take it?

.......and really do that to all the other duke fans who didn't get to take part in the game's creation for 8 years?!?!?

if that post wasn't a joke, then that's pretty much the most selfish thing i've ever heard!! B)

If I were in your shoes, I'd actually rather the game remain as much intact as possible for the mere purpose of being able to take credit for "this" or "that."

You'd really want all that hard work you did to never see the light of day?

So in that sense you're really not being selfish......

Still, I don't think any of us fans have to worry about missing wieder's mark on the final product.

After hearing what Scott said about him upon his departure, I doubt they removed much if any of his contributions to the project.

So, anyway Charlie, when the game is done and released could you imagine yourself telling/showing us hardcore fans the stuff you made, modeled, mapped, produced, coded, etc....... And then telling us if and how it was changed in the final version and possibly why?

I know I would be thrilled beyond belief if you were to do that when the time comes and I'm sure many other fans would be delighted to hear your of your stories at 3DR.
Especially after reading that last posting of yours on SA, you definetely have a talent for that sort of thing!

George has mentioned several times that they were keen on eventually releasing some of the many archived shots of levels and art from all those years of production.

To hear your input on them would be a blessing. B)

I think it's pretty safe to say that you'll be a fairly prominent part of DNF's forseeable immense and kick-ass fanbase, having lived as both an employee on the inside and then a patiently waiting fan like the rest of us. B)

Heh... have no fear... I can guarantee you that nothing I say has any impact or influence on current DNF development. Possibly the opposite actually. :) DNF is the new guy's game now (over half the company? Along with the ones who are hanging on)... so they'll do with it as they see fit.

But yeah, my personally 100% selfish desire is they take another 2 years so that by the time I play it, it's like 1998 all over again when I was dreaming about what might be in store for me (the 1998 trailer had those of us working on SiN salivating).

As for stuff I worked on being seen by you guys... I don't think there is much chance of that honestly. I hadn't been building maps for a while once we made the switch to the most recent rendering tech, so no level that I personally built will be in the game. The most likely directly created stuff you would see is a bunch of coding features (but who knows how much it will be revamped by the time it is done and beta tested?). I'd have to load up the script code once it is out to be able to tell you whether it was still based on my stuff or had been redone.

If they *don't* take 2 years to finish, then the most visible impact will just be on various systems and interactivity elements since I had spent the last year and a half or so in a producer role, so I wasn't doing much hands on and instead was working with other people to organize getting things done. Primarily coders and animators... so a bunch of interactivity is likely to have come from me working with other people to get the idea, get the art, get the code, and get the animations in.

Which is why I was able to pretty smoothly transition into a truly full blown producer role on Aliens. These days I do almost nothing hands on, except when a milestone is coming up and everyone knows what needs getting done and don't need direction, so I just start chipping in to add some extra oomph.

User is offline   rockmx8 

Well thanks dude for your input we appreciate it, however I and the other fans hope to see this game even more this year. Then possibly buying the game finally after release around the fourth quarter of 2008 or first quarter of 2009.

Thanks again dude.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options