Duke4.net Forums: Triptych shortened the game. - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Triptych shortened the game.  "possible spoiler"

User is offline   Alithinos 

I completed DNF,and now I can say that Gearbox has shortened the game.
Do you remember the table with all the levels and info that leaked some years ago ?
Well regarding the content of the levels the table was correct,it's the same game but many levels are missing.
It's like half the game.
They took out the whole chapter where Duke would go in the alien mothership.

Do I have the right to whine ? :dukecry:
Perhaps the chapter will be available in a month as DLC ?
And we will have to pay even more for the content the game should have already ?
:D B)

UPDATE:
After watching the video review that was posted in another topic:
http://forums.duke4....lopment-of-dnf/
I learned that the was indeed shortened,but it wasn't Gearbox who shortened the game but Triptych.
Please excuse me for blaming Gearbox.

This post has been edited by Alithinos: 24 June 2011 - 07:51 AM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Weren't many of those levels scrapped? Any others highly incomplete, or not started at all?

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

That's next gen for you.

View PostDescent, on 11 June 2011 - 09:48 AM, said:

Weren't many of those levels scrapped? Any others highly incomplete, or not started at all?

Man I finished this game in 2 days of playing..
And that with loosing many lives and trying again and again.
It's nothing like 4 or 5 Call of Duties Randy said in Pax.
It's a Fiasco.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

How many hours are we talking here? USfag here. Havent played it yet.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostDescent, on 11 June 2011 - 09:57 AM, said:

Took me 8,5 hours, no rushing.

Edit: I was personally satisfied with its size. I was growing tired of the game anyway. It's still pretty commendable that DNF is twice the size of MW1, MW2 or Black Ops.

This post has been edited by Mikko_Sandt: 11 June 2011 - 10:04 AM

View PostDescent, on 11 June 2011 - 09:57 AM, said:

It doesn't have a time meter to count the hours played,but as examples I can tell you that Crysis took me 6 days and Mass Effect 2 two weeks to finish, playing them with the same pace I played DNF.

This post has been edited by Alithinos: 11 June 2011 - 10:08 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Of course they shortened it. They said as much months ago. Specifically something like "When we got the game from 3D Realms there was a lot of material and our job was to piece it together in a way that made sense." Sure they didn't outright say that they cut out material, but they basically said that there was a myriad of incomplete disconnected game areas that weren't coherent at all. Of course there's going to be pieces missing.

That's the DLC, donchaknow.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 11 June 2011 - 10:08 AM, said:

Of course they shortened it. They said as much months ago. Specifically something like "When we got the game from 3D Realms there was a lot of material and our job was to piece it together in a way that made sense." Sure they didn't outright say that they cut out material, but they basically said that there was a myriad of incomplete disconnected game areas that weren't coherent at all. Of course there's going to be pieces missing.

That's the DLC, donchaknow.

Yeah they might said what you wrote,but Randy also clearly said that the final game would be like 5 or 6 Call of Duties.
And he lied. DNF is the second shortest game I played in my life.

This post has been edited by Alithinos: 11 June 2011 - 10:14 AM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostAlithinos, on 11 June 2011 - 10:13 AM, said:

DNF is the second shortest game I played in my life.

I disagree. You said "Crysis took me 6 days" (which tells nothing really); Crysis took me just 7 hours, less than DNF. Out of recent shooters only Bioshock and STALKER take longer than DNF.

It doesn't have a time meter to count the hours played

But Steam tells you for how long you've had the exe open.

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 11 June 2011 - 10:23 AM, said:

I disagree. You said "Crysis took me 6 days" (which tells nothing really); Crysis took me just 7 hours, less than DNF. Out of recent shooters only Bioshock and STALKER take longer than DNF.

But Steam tells you for how long you've had the exe open.

I said that it took me more,while playing both with the same pace.
Anyway,I checked Steam and it says 9 hours.
That is with loosing at least 50 lives and thus replaying some parts of the game,and taking my time to look for secret rooms in all the levels.(without finding any at all)

This post has been edited by Alithinos: 11 June 2011 - 10:29 AM

The game took me a little over 10 hours to complete i think, Randy must be a really slow gamer if it took him 17 hours.

User is offline   randir14 

Or he's just full of shit...companies always exaggerate the time it takes to beat their games. A more recent example is Skyrim, Bethesda is claiming it takes 300 hours to do everything. Yeah right.

User is offline   Kathy 

I've played Oblivion for 120 hours and still haven't done everything I could have. 300 hours still might be a stretch of course.

User is offline   Aldo 

What's sad is that the game is clearly an half-assed job after Duke Burger. The first half is an awesome cinematic experience, up there with HL2:ep2. The second half was largely unfinished according to the leaked docs, and there's a limit to what a few guys can do to finish a current-gen game: recycle what was already done and dilute it to squeeze as much longevity they could. No wonder that it seriously sucks, with hours of pointless corridor shooting, boring driving "exploration" and one of the hugest letdowns EVER that is the very definition of half-assery (yes, I'm talking about the final boss and ending; a game that was designed like a movie gets a ridiculous recycle and "forgets" the introduction of a character early in the game offering a crappy CG movie that is simply the opposite of the interactive action movie that Broussard was trying to make). It should have been as awesomely varied as the first half, but Gearbox simply didn't care to assign a proper budget to finish the project. The Triptych guys did an awesome job anyway, without them our man Randy would have just thrown everything made by 3DR out of the window to make a proper "open", "next-gen", multiplayer and DLC-centered game.

Don't forget people. Original game was supposedly 16 Gb and the final game is 6 gb.
Also don't forget the third DLC with 15 single player maps.
Do you actually think those 15 single player maps were done entirely by gearbox? I seriously doubt it...
If you ask me, I am sure those 15 maps are maps cut from the final game and packed as DLC.
Let's not forget how 2k operates.
Look at mafia 2 and how they released dlc with stuff that was already hidden in the game and you will realize what they did on DNF.
If you want to hate gearbox for anything, hate them for being associated with 2k and accepting all the shit that 2k gives them.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 11 June 2011 - 02:25 PM

I'm sure Gearbox fights 2k kicking and screaming while receiving their paychecks.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 11 June 2011 - 02:28 PM

Gerabox seems to be the perfect example of poor indie developer that has finally found money potential and wants to become a full blown rogue dev studio for hire!
It's the point where a cool indie dev becomes a lame dev studio for hire.

View PostAldo, on 11 June 2011 - 02:10 PM, said:

What's sad is that the game is clearly an half-assed job after Duke Burger. The first half is an awesome cinematic experience, up there with HL2:ep2. The second half was largely unfinished according to the leaked docs, and there's a limit to what a few guys can do to finish a current-gen game: recycle what was already done and dilute it to squeeze as much longevity they could. No wonder that it seriously sucks, with hours of pointless corridor shooting, boring driving "exploration" and one of the hugest letdowns EVER that is the very definition of half-assery (yes, I'm talking about the final boss and ending; a game that was designed like a movie gets a ridiculous recycle and "forgets" the introduction of a character early in the game offering a crappy CG movie that is simply the opposite of the interactive action movie that Broussard was trying to make). It should have been as awesomely varied as the first half, but Gearbox simply didn't care to assign a proper budget to finish the project. The Triptych guys did an awesome job anyway, without them our man Randy would have just thrown everything made by 3DR out of the window to make a proper "open", "next-gen", multiplayer and DLC-centered game.

I agree that I liked the first part of the game more because of its presentation,even if the cart controls sucked (at least with a keyboard). I also think they overdone it with the QTEs.
And while later on the game gets more serious and you start meeting more dangerous enemies,they repeat the same 'puzzle' with the barrels over and over,and it just gets too repetitive.

@Mr.Deviance:
The final game isn't 6gb but more.
6 gb is the content inside the game's disc and Steam downloads the rest of the game after you activate it.
But even with the downloaded from Steam files,the game still is less than 10gb,which means that about 6gb more are missing. :dukecry:
And I really think the same with you,that they cut them out to release them extra as dlc.

But what makes things worse is that they didn't cared to edit some of the dialogues or cutscenes from the game,and people talk with Duke about things never happened in the game,like Duke's clone.
Duke's clone was another of the chapters they removed.
And when you finish the game there are two cutscenes that are played one after the other that doesn't make sense.I can't write you what happens in those cutscenes since on this section of the forum spoilers are not allowed.

This post has been edited by Alithinos: 11 June 2011 - 02:53 PM

User is offline   ---- 

View PostAlithinos, on 11 June 2011 - 10:05 AM, said:

I can tell you that Crysis took me 6 days...

If you only play 1 hour 15 minutes a day ...

seriously ... has anybody thought about the possibility that 2K has some saying in the whole thing ?

I mean, they wanted to sue 3DR to hell and back because of the contracts (if it is justified is another question).

Might it not be possible that GBX' contracts with 2K might include that GBX has to for example bring at least 3 DLCs or so?

One example:
Well, when a musician changes his name to Symbol or "Former artist known as Prince" it is the "evil record industry" with their bloody contracts punishing the poor musicians because he has to deliver more records as Prince for them or whatever .

When a game dev does DLC it is of course the evil devs and the publisher probably doesn't even know about it and don't care... jesus, kids, come on.

I don't know if there are contracts ... but look at the above facts ... then tell me why no gamer around this board has even considered this possibility. It is always: Evil GBX...

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 11 June 2011 - 03:00 PM

User is offline   Stewox 

I have always had felt that the game might be shorthened , ... the new DLC will have 15 levels for SP. i think it's obvious they're screwing us around.

Read this too ... http://forums.gearbo...337&postcount=4

@fuegerstef

Of course it's a possibility and any rational person knows that. What you can't ignore is no developer will ever fight back when they see the money involved. The only one I can recall that has is Valve when they refused to nickel and dime TF2 players on Xbox360 after pressure from Microsoft. And the result was those players got nothing.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 11 June 2011 - 03:04 PM

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMad Max RW, on 11 June 2011 - 03:04 PM, said:

@fuegerstef

Of course it's a possibility and any rational person knows that. What you can't ignore is no developer will ever fight back when they see the money involved. The only one I can recall that has is Valve when they refused to nickel and dime TF2 players on Xbox360 after pressure from Microsoft. And the result was those players got nothing.

EPIC too, they stated it when they had to charge for the DLC on XBox that were called bonuspacks on PS3 and PC and were free there.

But then MS is the platform holder, not the publisher.

But these days are gone now too for EPIC, it seems.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 11 June 2011 - 03:08 PM

User is offline   Aldo 

I think it's highly improbable that they deliberately cut content for the DLC releases. After all, we know that 3DR never started development on content that appears on the design docs but isn't featured in the game. What we do know is that one of the DLC maps features karaoke, and a concept art in the game extras is about a karaoke bar. My guess is that they will produce scrapped concepts, like the motorboat battle seen in various trailers (they will probably just polish 3DR incomplete levels, much less effort than making something from scratch).

User is offline   Hank 

View Postfuegerstef, on 11 June 2011 - 02:56 PM, said:

I don't know if there are contracts ... but look at the above facts ... then tell me why no gamer around this board has even considered this possibility. It is always: Evil GBX...

How do you know all gamers of this board have read the post?
Still, you've got a point. Also, my problem is that I have nothing to compare it with. No one has had the 'full' version of the game. We are assuming it's been shortened. Also, 15 levels are on the way. To me this tells me that those level were not ready for the current release.

@ Mad Max RW - Yeah, cash talks! Still, I have no probs paying for 15 cool levels later than doing half baked one's on Tuesday.

This post has been edited by Hank: 11 June 2011 - 03:13 PM

User is offline   ---- 

View PostHank, on 11 June 2011 - 03:10 PM, said:

How do you know all gamers of this board have read the post?
Still, you've got a point. Also, my problem is that I have nothing to compare it with. No one has had the 'full' version of the game. We are assuming it's been shortened. Also, 15 levels are on the way. To me this tells me that those level were not ready for the current release.

To put it different: I have not read that anybody has thought about it.

I liked the game, I liked the lenght ... of course there were some things that could have been better (not telling, to not spoil anything) or improved. And I still want mod tools for an all weapon system. I even liked the multiplayer (although I didn't plan to even touch it).

User is offline   Hank 

View Postfuegerstef, on 11 June 2011 - 03:15 PM, said:

I liked the game,

Stop right there - cheers mate. Posted Image I wished we could get more positive people to post here!

User is offline   Aldo 

Hey, I loved it up until the Duke Burger! I don't even mind about the two weapon system since the levels are clearly designed to render all weapons except two or three completely useless in most situations. I also kinda liked the regen health, since it is forgiving enough to allow running and gunning... which reminds me of another cut part of the game: we've seen in Jace Hall videos that killing enemies would refill your ego bar, and that's actually a very nice way to unencourage the whole "hide for 10 seconds until your health recharges" vital to every fucking modern FPS. Why the hell was it replaced by the traditional Halo regen health? It's so Halo-ish that it even lets you take quite a lot of damage when the bar is empty before you die. I now know that George liked Halo so much that he incredibly included its mounted shields in one of the builds, but still...

View PostAldo, on 11 June 2011 - 03:33 PM, said:

Hey, I loved it up until the Duke Burger! I don't even mind about the two weapon system since the levels are clearly designed to render all weapons except two or three completely useless in most situations. I also kinda liked the regen health, since it is forgiving enough to allow running and gunning... which reminds me of another cut part of the game: we've seen in Jace Hall videos that killing enemies would refill your ego bar, and that's actually a very nice way to unencourage the whole "hide for 10 seconds until your health recharges" vital to every fucking modern FPS. Why the hell was it replaced by the traditional Halo regen health? It's so Halo-ish that it even lets you take quite a lot of damage when the bar is empty before you die. I now know that George liked Halo so much that he incredibly included its mounted shields in one of the builds, but still...

You really didn't had problems with the 2 weapon limitation ?
I had.

There was a level where the first room of it was full of enemies of a specific type,and the weapons I had with me weren't the ideal to use against them,leading me to death again and again.
I had to restart past level that I already completed so when I finish it I have the ideal weapons with me so I also get them on the next level,so I can pass that room.

It was so annoying..

Health regeneration isn't that bad.
What is bad is that the enemies are far harder and your weapons far weaker.
A melee attack from the pig looses about 70% to 90% of your health (ego),and pigs are fast,and the game throws you packs of them too often.
It's just trial and error for the most part.
You will loose one life when the game throws you 4-5 pigs out of nowhere,and after you die you will know where they will appear so you go prepared.
It's frustrating.
And that's on medium difficulty.

This post has been edited by Alithinos: 11 June 2011 - 03:43 PM

User is offline   Ronin 

Seriously, what the fuck are you guys talking about the game rocks! And Im playing the watered down 360 version I cant wait to get it for my pc, so I can actually see the textures on the enemys.

Surely Im not such a fanboy that crap seems good? I played most of the Duke games this is by far the best one since 3D, sure its not 3D but play that if you want that total experience.

Im just after the Hover Dam, and its taken me over 8 hours already, I am looking around a bit and drinking and smoking so that adds a bit (of extra fun) but it doesnt seem short by any standard plus Im playing it on normal I will save hard for when I get pc version.

Damn guys its the most fun Ive had in a shooter since Riddick and FEAR in recent years, never has killing virtual things been so fun, bad ass game sorry some of you guys are feeling let down, its Duke true and true but with out the secret areas by magic walls which I have to admit is a letdown.

I love it and second half of game seem much better to me more Duke 3dish where as the first half is more Half-Life/Haloish but in a good way.

Fuck the 14 years its a game and a damn great one too, time will tell its already more memorable than nearly any fps out there, DNF FTW.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options