Duke4.net Forums: Multiplayer Discussion Thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Multiplayer Discussion Thread  "It's so much fun!"

User is offline   Jeff 

Had a better round. I turned the mouse precision to 10 in DNF. Mouse acceleration is off in Windows, and my sensitivity is around 5.

Must be the settings. I got 19-19 and I got second place.

This post has been edited by Jeff: 12 July 2011 - 07:22 PM

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

I'm starting come up with a theory for lagging issues, but before I say that I'll talk about my multiplayer experience. I overall love multiplayer, and so far I'm rank 180, and am getting close to the top 100 on the leaderboard. Yeah... bragging. I personally don't like to customize Duke, I like to keep the classic look, but I wouldn't have minded to have extra characters. What I really don't like is the ego system. you might get so close to killing somebody, they kill you, then you respawn, and you're back where you started, if you're playing against a "God" you don't stand a chance. Another issue, is that when I have 15 ping and the game still lags pretty badly, then there's this guy who has 125 ping, and he he has perfect aim, and I'm dead from his pistol or railgun. I don't understand that, so either the guy is some real "God" that can take terrible lag, or the guy's cheating, which I've recently discovered how to do and am going to email Gearbox and such, not like it'll do too much.

About the lag now. I noticed that when I went to go host a game for the first time, I forgot to forward ports, then some guy joins right before I exit, and it's "magically" working. So you don't have to forward ports. What I'm theorizing is that there's some sort of server(s) that is setup on Steam that handles that, which with a not too well designed multiplayer, it could be the source of the problem. My friend that I met on DNF he has an Internet connection 20X (maybe a bit of an exaggeration) faster than I do, and even more at his workplace, yet it makes no difference if he or I hosts, it lags on both ends the same way. Anybody have any ideas?

This post has been edited by Spirrwell: 16 July 2011 - 01:05 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I don't think it's in our power to theorize what could be the cause of the lag unless we have professional programming experience, which I don't. If there was any kind of simple way to fix the lag, I'm sure Gearbox would have done it, or the other company which was completely devoted to multiplayer. Afterall, we know that the multiplayer is the only thing that's going to give the game any kind of longevity, because the linear-as-a-tight rope levels are both a joke an an insult in terms of replayablility, there's no sign that dev tools are going to be released, and the DLC which a lot of people have high hopes for is probably going to be just as bad as what we've experienced so far.

Btw, I'm number 160 :(

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

You better hope the DLC isn't multiplayer maps. It will only split the dwindling online community.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostSpirrwell, on 16 July 2011 - 01:02 PM, said:

What I really don't like is the ego system. you might get so close to killing somebody, they kill you, then you respawn, and you're back where you started, if you're playing against a "God" you don't stand a chance.

This is good actually because now you can't get cheap kills by killing someone who's half-dead from some previous encounter. A good example of how the regen system works in MP but not in SP.

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 17 July 2011 - 05:52 AM, said:

This is good actually because now you can't get cheap kills by killing someone who's half-dead from some previous encounter. A good example of how the regen system works in MP but not in SP.

Not unless there's medkits and such, but I do take your point, especially weapons like the devestator. There's only one game that I know that the regen system is perfect, and that's the Saints Row series. Anyway, another thing realized though is if you have a person using roids, it takes two direct shots to kill them, in which that's nice if you're good at melee.

To Micky C, no. Not likely at least. If having servers that weren't bound by Steam would correct the problem, then people would need to forward ports, which for kids, noobs, the like, it'd be very unlikely they'd know what they're doing. Although I'd really love it just as an option. I myself don't have programming knowledge for hosts, clients, and etc. Although I understand how it works. I don't know 100% for sure that it'd work, but I think it would. Another issue with that though is that it could be an easy loophole for pirates to play online. So unfortunately, the likelihood that they'd do it or if I'd see if I was right, is very small. Although, they could technically re-design the multiplayer altogether or something of that nature, and make it better. Although I have no idea of the engine or whatever and how much resources it takes, and how multiplayer would have to work.

• Honored Donor

I think I'm actually starting to get tired of multiplayer. Sometimes it's really fun, but sometimes it's really tedious and dull. For instance I played two games of infinite ammo Dukematch, and all everyone was doing was using the pipe bombs. Everyone was camping half the time. Camping in a Duke Nukem game really pisses me off, it's probably the one game where you shouldn't be camping.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Btw, one thing that didn't really bother in SP but is a much bigger problem in MP are the clunky movements. Especially the vagina level is horrible because you die more often from falls than bullets.

Yea that is a big problem. I hate that level too. I love games that has movement where you feel very free. DNF feels very limited in movements. The fact that duke jumps a little time after you hit the space button is annoying. By the way, did anyone notice that the vagina has a gold tooth?

• Honored Donor

I did not notice that. It's really hard to get back out of the vagina if you don't want to use the jumppad, which is annoying.

You know the construction level right? How there's a crane that you can climb to the top of a building? I died 3 times jumping from the crane to the top of the building, and apparently not jumping high enough because I started falling and all I could think was "oh crap" before I splattered across the ground, and the crane is the same height as the building.

When there is absolutely no one around to force you to speed up or dodge bullets, there should be no reason why people shouldn't make that jump every time, save for DNF's crappy clipping and low jump height.

User is offline   Jeff 

View PostMicky C, on 19 July 2011 - 04:15 PM, said:

there should be no reason why people shouldn't make that jump every time, save for DNF's crappy clipping and low jump height.

They said that Duke was short in the SP, so that's probably why he can't jump that high.

• Honored Donor

We wasn't short. I always imagined him as a few inches taller than average, but if you look at the screenshots, Duke's the same height as everyone else.

User is offline   Jeff 

View PostMicky C, on 19 July 2011 - 08:17 PM, said:

We wasn't short. I always imagined him as a few inches taller than average, but if you look at the screenshots, Duke's the same height as everyone else.

He's probably average height. Not 6' 4" like me.

• Honored Donor

That's the problem though, Duke shouldn't be average at anything.

• Honored Donor

I am sick to death of being outnumbered in multiplayer. It just isn't fun, even when I'm on the bigger team. The team with fewer numbers could be more skilled, and otherwise would win any game, yet if the other team has a lot more players, that completely offsets everything. There are even times when the teams are 4 on 2, which is just as bad as 2 on 1. Gearbox really needs some kind of system to prevent uneven teams, as the effect is particularly felt when the maximum number of players per team is 4.

It's happened to me so much lately, and being honest, DNF multiplayer isn't fantastic to begin with, with all the weapon imbalances, lag, and horrible clipping, so additional problems like this are really off putting.

I'm at the point were i kill everyone >.> Every round ends with me having at least 3 times more kills than deaths. Yesterday i had a kill/death and 29/0 lol. But i think you are wrong micky c. the weapons has fantastic balance compared to most other games nowadays.
The reason why the teams might end up 4 on 2 is probably because someone leave the server. Then there is nothing to do other than asking kindly for some other person to change team.

• Honored Donor

I haven't played many other first person shooters online, but just because they don't have good weapon balancing, it's no excuse that DNF has to be like that. The devestator is bad, but IMO the enforcer is a lot worse. It's normally a one shot kill in close range, and it requires absolutely no skill whatsoever. You only need to point it vaguely in the player's direction and pull the trigger. Even if they run behind a barrier so that there's a wall or something between them and the enforcer blasts, the blasts will not crash into the wall like the RPG, they will follow you around the wall. So not only does it require no skill, is it a one-shot kill, but it's practically impossible to avoid as well. It's a stupid combination.

What's your rank on the leader boards? I'm like 150, with a win/loss ratio of 1.2, and a kill/death ratio of 1.3, which is frustratingly due to lag which I've been getting a lot lately.

Well that is why the enforcer gun only fires 5 times. And at the same time requires more to get the gun than the RPG. Have you tried the troop laser gun? It's a 2 hit kill. A 1 hit kill with double damage which is awesome. The devestator rocks too IMO. I use the sniper a lot since i always do that in FPS games. So i rarely use explosive weapons. Shotgun/railgun pwns all for me :) I am rank 308 ;)

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

The Enforcer gun is so slow that you're usually dead by the time the rockets hit the opponent.

That's because you are using it wrong. Use it like mickyc told you. Behind walls and stuff.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

You cannot avoid contacts like that. You're dead the moment someone comes near you which happens often as the maps tend to be small. The only weapon that allows you to camp and dominate is the Devastator.

Nah, the weapon is supposed to be mid-range. If you die too much short-range. Use a shotgun or devestator :)
Is it called devestator? I've seen it like this: devestator, devistator, devastator. I keep calling it different things in my duke3d con coding because i forget it lol.

This post has been edited by rasmus thorup: 08 August 2011 - 12:59 PM

• Honored Donor

View Postrasmus thorup, on 08 August 2011 - 04:19 AM, said:

Well that is why the enforcer gun only fires 5 times. And at the same time requires more to get the gun than the RPG. Have you tried the troop laser gun? It's a 2 hit kill. A 1 hit kill with double damage which is awesome. The devestator rocks too IMO. I use the sniper a lot since i always do that in FPS games. So i rarely use explosive weapons. Shotgun/railgun pwns all for me :) I am rank 308 ;)

I found that the AT laser is actually a 1 shot kill weapon if all 3 shots from a single firing hit you.

Actually only 2 of the shots has to hit. That's why double damage makes it a one hit kill >.>

• Honored Donor

You'll never believe this, I managed to end up in a game that started off as 3 against 1! I was the one. I politely asked if one of them could change teams, and they could have done so without losing xp or anything, and none of them did! Those guys were total dicks for not balancing the teams. I quit, so I hope they enjoy their 2 against 1 game. It would have either ended up as that, or they all would have quit. Serves them right.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Ooh, the horror. You should have just taken that as an opportunity to have more people to frag without any of your teammates bothering you.

• Honored Donor

If I wanted to frag people I would have gone into dukematch. It was Capture the Babe, and it was 3 against 1. That's probably the worst gameplay mode to be outnumbered in if you want to win. I've been outnumbered 2:1 in Hail to the King and Team Dukematch before and it hasn't been a problem.

That sucks. I only play team duke match. I just think it's more fun. In that mode i don't have anything against being outnumbered, because i just take it as a challenge. But in hail to the king mode or capture the babe mode, it's just impossible to do anything :S

• Honored Donor

Sounds like I have to play you online sometime :)
I hope that we're not so far away that we would have a bad ping.

yea, that'd be fun :)

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options