Duke4.net Forums: CAMPAIGN HINTS topic - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CAMPAIGN HINTS topic

User is offline   Alithinos 

I thought it would be a good idea to gather various hints for the single player mode.
Please submit your hint so others can be prepared and know valuable info,and please try to add as less spoilers you can. I start by submitting some of my own hints.
:dukecry:

EXECUTIONS:
After you stun an enemy,don't leave him waiting like you might did on DN3D.
In DNF if you don't press the right button to execute him as long as he is stunned,instead of dying he will come up fighting again.

FREEZE RAY:
The freeze ray is a death trap.
It has a very short range, (shorter than shotgun) each enemy requires a large amount of ammo spent on him to freeze,and you run out of ammo very quickly before it regenerates.
So it's good only if you are against a single enemy at a time,just for the lolz.
It won't save your ass if you are against 3 or 4 pigs or octabrains.

WEAPON PICKING:
Most of the time the game gives you the weapon that you are going to need to use next.
You could keep the weapon you already got,but it will be harder for you if you don't pick up what the developers give you at specific places.

BOSS FIGHTING:
It's not like DN3D where a boss would loose some of its health no matter the weapon you use against it.
Bosses loose health only by explosive weapons such as the devastator or the rpg.
Keep your ripper,railgun and anything else for the smaller guys.

OCTABRAINS:
Octabrains are a pain in the ass.
You can't kill them with the RPG or pipebombs because they trow them back to you.
They are also much more fast and agile than they where on DN3D so they will move aside to dodge your fire very often.They will fire you mental orbs,or objects like crates and barrels against you with telekinisis,and they will do it pretty fast and very accurately.So try to kill them before they get their dirty mind on picking things from your surroundings,or RUN and find a place to hide and cover if you think you are faster than them.

This post has been edited by Alithinos: 10 June 2011 - 11:56 PM

User is offline   Stabs 

Take less damage to avoid dying :dukecry:

View PostDanM, on 10 June 2011 - 11:53 PM, said:

Take less damage to avoid dying :dukecry:

hehe yeah,the game's own hints are ironically trivial. :D

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The octabrains are so annoying! I swear their mental orb attack has a blast radius as it's been impossible for me to NOT take damage from it.

Two things:
-The freeze ray has a MUCH better range in multiplayer (I know this is a singleplayer thread but I think it's important to point out the difference).
-How exactly do we make enemies' heads explode using the railgun? If I aim for their head, then their head gets decapitated. I'm just not sure where to aim for the head expanding/exploding with the railgun.

User is offline   Stabs 

On Damn I am Good, Roids and Beers become very important particularly against unarmed pigcops

User is offline   Aldo 

I found it pretty easy to kill an Octabrain with pipebombs, just throw one at them and detonate it right before he throws it back at you. It takes two of them to kill one. The mental
Orb is fucking annoying, yes. It's impossible to escape one, and if you're
lucky enough to find cover behind something you can't even be 100% sure it won't damage you.

User is offline   0utlawz 

I put tripmine on egg that octabrain use to throw us with, kinda funny see they explode :dukecry:
Spoiler

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Hahaha! That's clever... and then people argue that DNF is bad... haters are just lazy to find all the cool stuff :D

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View Post0utlawz, on 14 June 2011 - 11:03 AM, said:

I put tripmine on egg that octabrain use to throw us with, kinda funny see they explode :D

Yeah i did the same on a barrel in fact by accident and it's pretty funny :D

This post has been edited by Norvak: 14 June 2011 - 07:27 PM

User is offline   ferran275 

[quote name='Alithinos' timestamp='1307778671' post='93973']
FREEZE RAY:
The freeze ray is a death trap.
It has a very short range, (shorter than shotgun) each enemy requires a large amount of ammo spent on him to freeze,and you run out of ammo very quickly before it regenerates.
So it's good only if you are against a single enemy at a time,just for the lolz.
It won't save your ass if you are against 3 or 4 pigs or octabrains.

/quote]

gonna have to disagree with you here, I was doing VERY well with the freeze ray, since you can execute a baddie right after he's been frozen, and since you gain all your 'health' back after a successful execution, I was having a really good time freezing pigcops as I was running right for them, them executing them to regain health, then moving on to the next, unless I ran out of ammo in that case I would just melee them to death.

good times! :D

This post has been edited by ferran275: 15 June 2011 - 08:55 AM

User is offline   Madmaxwell 

Spoiler

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

The Octaking on Come Get Some.

Strategy:
Keep trying to kill him, until you get so frustrated by the cheap-ass pysche attacks that you falcon-punch your monitor.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMadmaxwell, on 15 June 2011 - 02:43 PM, said:

Spoiler

The better way to kill octabrains is to throw a pipebomb. Two would suffice.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 15 June 2011 - 04:02 PM, said:

The Octaking on Come Get Some.Strategy:Keep trying to kill him, until you get so frustrated by the cheap-ass pysche attacks that you falcon-punch your monitor.

Are you talking about the 2nd fight? Don't stand in the middle since you'll die fast, there is a cover in the right corner where many attacks won't hurt you for a while.
The best strategy is to spam octabrains with pipeboms from the corner until they're all dead. Then beat the shit out of Octaking with devastator until he summons another patch of brains. Repeat. Beer in the corner should help if you have problems.

The 1st Octaking fight is also pretty easy if you have beer. Just drink beer and shoot boss from the turret. His healthbar will deplete quite fast from the turret and his attacks wouildn't bother you much under the influence. This boss fight itself was easier for me than several octabrains before it. Octabrains in the wide open are hard to kill.

View PostHelel, on 15 June 2011 - 08:31 PM, said:

The better way to kill octabrains is to throw a pipebomb. Two would suffice.

Are you talking about the 2nd fight? Don't stand in the middle since you'll die fast, there is a cover in the right corner where many attacks won't hurt you for a while.
The best strategy is to spam octabrains with pipeboms from the corner until they're all dead. Then beat the shit out of Octaking with devastator until he summons another patch of brains. Repeat. Beer in the corner should help if you have problems.

The 1st Octaking fight is also pretty easy if you have beer. Just drink beer and shoot boss from the turret. His healthbar will deplete quite fast from the turret and his attacks wouildn't bother you much under the influence. This boss fight itself was easier for me than several octabrains before it. Octabrains in the wide open are hard to kill.

he destorys the cover

User is offline   Kathy 

Then I was lucky... My cover was intact at least halfway through the battle. Strange...

Yup,the second Octaking battle was the hardest of the game.
I lost many lives too there.

Here is what I did to complete it :

When the battle starts some regular Octabrains also come out.
Usually about 3 to 4.
There is a 'room' that offers partial cover,near the Devastator.Go and hide there for a while.
Don't just stand there because Octabrains will shoot their psychic attack to you and you may get hurt,even there.
If you are standing probably you can't aim octabrains because the metal of the roof is getting in your way,but octabrains can shoot you.
So duck while you are in there so you can aim them and shoot them.
Kill some octabrains until there is only 1 out.
If you spend time killing the last one,more will come out before you kill him.
So when there is only 1 octabrain out and the Octaking,get out of your cover and start shooting at the Octaking with the Devastator while making diagonal zig-zag movement using strafe,to avoid both attacks of Octaking and the Octabrain that is out.
Watch out because there are some metal objects in the platform you are that might get between you and the Octaking,and if you keep firing the Devastator,its rounds will hit those objects that are near to you,and you will loose your own health.
Keep moving and shooting at the Octaking until another pack of 2-3 octabrains comes out.
Then move back to the cover again,and repeat what you done before.

After a while the Octaking will destroy the 'room' that offered you partial cover.
When that happens keep moving zig-zag while focusing your firepower on the Octaking.
Don't focus on shooting the 'normal' octabrains because they are infinite and will spawn fast,and you will eventually die.

I know its hard to avoid the attacks of the regular octabrains without even looking at them,but that's the only way you can finish the motherfucker octaking.
Good luck!

This post has been edited by Alithinos: 16 June 2011 - 04:05 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

I don't know... Octabrains were pain in the ass since they were intercepting devastator shots. So I never attacked Octaking until all of octabrains were dead.

This post has been edited by Helel: 16 June 2011 - 04:36 AM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Well, thank God the Octaking doesn't do the same things with rockets as the Octabrains do. Since this is the only stuff that can hurt him (besides turrets), that would be a bit... inconvenient. xD But in general, Octaking was one of the easiest bosses I encountered. The only boss fight during which I really died was the 2nd Battlelord (on the dam).

User is offline   Awesomebob 

View PostDavoX, on 14 June 2011 - 07:05 PM, said:

Hahaha! That's clever... and then people argue that DNF is bad... haters are just lazy to find all the cool stuff :D

Predicting which piece of garbage an octobrain is going to pick up and slapping a sticky on it doesn't make it a good game. In fact, most of the tougher mobs are dealt with rather easily by sticky bombing them. More like common sense rather than cleverness, seeing as how you pretty much never run out of stickies.

Octoking made me want to punch babies. I was lucky and came in with a beer already, so I had two and still died like 10 times. I used devastator to take out normal brains, got them clumped by using cover. Both beers got king to 50% when he blewed up my room and stop spawning normals. Rest of the bosses (beside the queen) were laughable, including the "you can't lose" final fight.

This post has been edited by Awesomebob: 16 June 2011 - 07:30 AM

I say battle lord for the second time was the hardest, probably also the coolest. I really love the minigun :D Will duke be using the same minigun with the DLC? That would be kind of weird...

User is offline   SavagE 

yeah, the battle with second battlelord was pain in the ass and poorly designed in my opinion. I was able to beat him fairly easy by finding a luck spot in which he could do me a thing. I just stood under this little roof and a giant wreck was blocking his way and much of his sight. Enough for me to pound him with devastator from there. Then I would sprint for ammo and redo all over again. Boring.

Octaking was pain to the point I learned not to hit octabrains with devastator. I just threw pipes around and they would summon them so I could detonate :D Use holoduke - very helpful.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostSavagE, on 20 June 2011 - 04:22 AM, said:

yeah, the battle with second battlelord was pain in the ass and poorly designed in my opinion. I was able to beat him fairly easy by finding a luck spot in which he could do me a thing. I just stood under this little roof and a giant wreck was blocking his way and much of his sight. Enough for me to pound him with devastator from there. Then I would sprint for ammo and redo all over again. Boring.

Pretty much the same. And that was the only tactic possible since fighting him upfront was suicide. And there was no way to outflank him on this bridge. So the best way was just to hide which isn't the best scenario for a boss fight involving Duke.

The first fight with him, while also not that great, was better handled.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options