Duke4.net Forums: Does anybody know how to open the game's DAT files ? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Does anybody know how to open the game's DAT files ?

User is offline   Alithinos 

I can't open these archives with winzip.
:dukecry:

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

What on earth would make you think you could open proprietary game archive files with WinZip, anyway? Regardless, there is a guy working on some tools to work with these but I don't think he's released anything yet.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Get with the times guys! :dukecry:

http://www.richwhite...tid=65#comments

Posted Image

View PostTea Monster, on 10 June 2011 - 02:08 PM, said:

Get with the times guys! :D

Posted Image

Ehm... might sound noobish,but how on Earth can I browse through the dat files and find the meshes with that tool ? :D

I clicked "open" and I double clicked the .dat file that I wanted but I got the error message "Cannot preview this file".
The browser the app has on the left part of the window doesn't even try to open them.

View PostTea Monster, on 10 June 2011 - 02:08 PM, said:

Get with the times guys! :D

LOL..... never actually spotted the big schlong on the impregnator before seeing that page,
I was too busy blasting it to death:

Posted Image

Now i can see why the name "impregnator" is so apt!

• Polymancer

Usually, if it can't open it directly, it will prompt you to unpack it. In that case, just choose a directory on your hard drive, choose a format (seems to default to mp3, obj and dds) and export.

View PostTX, on 10 June 2011 - 12:34 PM, said:

What on earth would make you think you could open proprietary game archive files with WinZip, anyway? Regardless, there is a guy working on some tools to work with these but I don't think he's released anything yet.

Suggestion for next time: "Regular archiving programs like WinRAR, 7Zip, and WinZip can't open these files. I don't know of any tools at the moment that can open them, but if you keep checking the forums you should see one eventually."

View PostAlithinos, on 15 June 2011 - 11:06 AM, said:

Ehm... might sound noobish,but how on Earth can I browse through the dat files and find the meshes with that tool ? :D

I clicked "open" and I double clicked the .dat file that I wanted but I got the error message "Cannot preview this file".
The browser the app has on the left part of the window doesn't even try to open them.

If you're using Noesis, there is another file you probably need to click on (going off of the sounds folder here). If I remember right, there's a sounds.dat and a soundsdir.dat. The *dir.dat file can be opened, the other one can not.

• Polymancer

DDS files are texture files and require a special plug-in to read them. ATI supplies a tool to do this and Nvidia provide a Photoshop plug-in to read and write them out. Most 3D apps won't be able to use DDS files, so you'll need to convert them to .tif, .jpg or .png. Although Noesis says it will convert DDS textures on export!

Obj files are 3d model files and most 3d apps will read them fine.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 15 June 2011 - 02:26 PM

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

Recent versions of 3d studio max read dds files without problems. Still, it's best to convert them to tga format with Photoshop.

• Polymancer

This is too much fun.

Posted Image

I don't know why but I suspect that Noesis only works with the demo..
:D

View PostAlithinos, on 17 June 2011 - 04:31 AM, said:

I don't know why but I suspect that Noesis only works with the demo..
:D

Did you see my post a few above you? I replied to you. I have tested Noeses on the full version, and several other people have too.

If you're using Noesis, there is another file you probably need to click on (going off of the sounds folder here). If I remember right, there's a sounds.dat and a soundsdir.dat. The *dir.dat file can be opened, the other one can not.

Opening *.dat doesn't work, you need to open *dir.dat

This post has been edited by BrentNewland: 17 June 2011 - 01:08 PM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Also the octabrain is only available in the full version, and you can see that Tea Monster was able to import it into a 3d program.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options