Duke4.net Forums: I officially declare the dedicated server - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I officially declare the dedicated server  "...to a fucking joke!"

Alright I thought I would use the evening / night for messing around with the dedicated server of DNF.

So I created a .bat file in \Steam\SteamApps\common\duke nukem forever\System:

start DukeForever.exe -server DM-MorningWood?Game=dnGame.dnDeathmatchGame?Mutator=None?FragLimit=20?RoundTimeLimit=20?
MaxPlayers=4 -myservername="DI-MeisterM's DNF-Server TEST"

After launching it, all I got is this:
Posted Image

No activity control
No kind of any console
Nothing, only the option to exit it.

Furthermore I have no clue if someone joins or not, I simply have no control at all. I even don't know which TCP port to open for it.

WHAT A JOKE.

This post has been edited by DI-MeisterM: 10 June 2011 - 12:30 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Well, they did say it was unsupported... I think the best we can hope for here are some of the server administration methods applicable to the original Unreal Tournament and maybe UT2003 working. Gaming just isn't what it used to be. :dukecry:

Well, Gearbox simply doesn't allow the output window to appear. Like they forced us not to use the console. Only because we could activate that way the DLCs.

Really disappointed :dukecry:

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

So is there any way for a server admin to kick cheaters/griefers from their game?

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 10 June 2011 - 12:47 PM

View PostMad Max RW, on 10 June 2011 - 12:45 PM, said:

So is there any way for a server admin to kick cheaters/griefers from their game?

There's no way to do anything for an server admin. Or I'm too dumb to find it.

If there's no way for a server admin to, you know, administrate their server then what was the point of releasing dedicated server software? I can guarantee there are communities working right now on creating cheats to ruin multiplayer and will spread like wildfire in a matter of days.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Jesus Christ that is abysmal. Way to go, Piranha Games.

Just another note: I can't even play DNF on the same computer (same Steam account) when the server is running in the background. Steam doesn't allow me to launch a second instance of DukeForever.exe. I can't even check IN the game on the the same computer if the server is visible or not.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

So that's why it isn't supported. Because there isn't even a proper way to use them at all! They knew this was going to happen so they said "don't ask us..."

User is offline   zwieback 

what the fuck. seriously - this is a useless piece of shit :dukecry:

i mean do i have to buy an extra copy of duke ONLY to host a dedicated server? i was thinking to get one up and running on one of my dedicated servers tomorrow - but i won't buy an extra copy for that.

like the topic starter said: this is a fucking joke.

note: i'm a huge fan of the single player and i LOVE the multiplayer, but THIS is not acceptable at all. NO.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Oh. My. God.

Can you not add "-log" to the launch properties? Or by using that same third party program that enables it in the regular launch?

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm probably going to get banned or severely infractioned for what I just posted at the Gearbox forums but I don't care. We were backstabbed and I don't want anything to do with them again.

I'm surprised your rep isn't in the negatives already. I mean, you're being such a hater! Haha.

Ah, but you see, he is hating on something that you just cannot like. Seriously,. Terrible dedicated servers, "Considering" mod tools, and taking the console out of the full game after it was in the demo. Just, why?

This post has been edited by BraveTriforcer: 10 June 2011 - 03:20 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Big switch I know. I mean, I forgave them for the 2-weapon switch and all that other jazz. Low-end graphics etc. I don't care about that. But the stuff I thought they'd get right they completely screwed us over with.

I was being facetious.

Anyway, it seems the only thing we have to look forward to now is Duke Nukem Reloaded...

sigh

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 10 June 2011 - 03:25 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

So in other words....nothing.

But hey, at least the people that got Duke's Big Package can use big-head mode without worry about people activating it manually via a console. Thanks 2K and Gamestop!

(kidding)

This post has been edited by MYHOUSE.MAP: 10 June 2011 - 03:39 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

ChrisF just posted:

Just so you guys know, I'm looking into this and will let you know what I find.

This line seems to be extremely popular with both Gearbox and 2k. And it's usually followed by disappointing news. And if by some chance it's followed by exciting news, the details about that news are disappointing (dedicated servers).

I just played some DNF multiplayer and no, i haven't finished yet but i am playing multiplayer because i have to keep it quiet ( i don't want to miss out half of the one liners of Duke Nukem in singleplayer ).
I have to say it is VERY fun, but one problem and i hope it's temporary, steam keeps logging out on me.
I hope it has to do with some maintenance, but anyways, i am gonna continue with the singleplayer tomorrow.

But, what's all the complaining about bad ping on p2p servers ?
It isn't too bad, i got 30 ping all the time.

This post has been edited by themaniacboy: 10 June 2011 - 03:59 PM

View Postthemaniacboy, on 10 June 2011 - 03:58 PM, said:

I just played some DNF multiplayer and no, i haven't finished yet but i am playing multiplayer because i have to keep it quiet ( i don't want to miss out half of the one liners of Duke Nukem in singleplayer ).
I have to say it is VERY fun, but one problem and i hope it's temporary, steam keeps logging out on me.
I hope it has to do with some maintenance, but anyways, i am gonna continue with the singleplayer tomorrow.

But, what's all the complaining about bad ping on p2p servers ?
It isn't too bad, i got 30 ping all the time.

You must live pretty close to the hosts, then. Also, did you happen to see a guy with 0 ping have a high place on the scoreboard alot?

i love this game, to death... not because i am a fan, because it takes me back to unreal days (apart from regen) i dont give a flying fuck what anyone else thinks about this game, i think its amazing and when the multiplayer bugs are patched out i can see this being the new unreal.

View PostBraveTriforcer, on 10 June 2011 - 04:02 PM, said:

You must live pretty close to the hosts, then. Also, did you happen to see a guy with 0 ping have a high place on the scoreboard alot?

Nope, i only tried 2 servers, were all good so far.
It's impossible to have 0 ping, really, never saw or had 0 ping unless he tweaked something in the config files.

I have 60 ping all the time, i don't complain about that either. It's just, in multiplayer it is really hard to hit the other players, i really hate when i go close shooting with someone because it becomes all about luck.

Oh, and i like dukes dig.

I have Ping 200-2000. UNPLAYABLE! :dukecry: WHAT CAN I DO?! :D I made a new thread also!!! Can it be patched?! oOo

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 10 June 2011 - 03:50 PM, said:

ChrisF just posted:

This line seems to be extremely popular with both Gearbox and 2k. And it's usually followed by disappointing news. And if by some chance it's followed by exciting news, the details about that news are disappointing (dedicated servers).

Where exactly did he post it? Can you post a link pls, I can't find it.

Btw who the fuck is voting me down all the time? I try to help! Only because of the Daikatana logo?

This post has been edited by DI-MeisterM: 10 June 2011 - 11:20 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Don't take it too seriously.

I honestly don't know where he said that now. There were a bunch of discussion threads about this and his post is probably buried under a bunch of crap by now. I copied and pasted it, though.

• The Sarien Encounter

Here it is

Also, this is the response he got from the devs.

Hey guys, I talked to the devs.

The console was disabled to prevent exploits and cheating in multiplayer. There were some very nasty things one could do in multiplayer with the console enabled and we couldn't in good conscience allow access to something that had the potential to spoil the multiplayer experience.

That said, we're examining ways to enable the console without impacting the multiplayer gameplay and I'll keep you posted.

Thanks man, hopefully they look really into it. I doubt it, they have ignored almost all suggestion we put into the forums from the very beginning.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Looks to me like in the rush to get it released on time, they botched some things so it would work properly.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options