Duke4.net Forums: Try the demo with fov 100 because it can potentially change your shooting experience! - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Try the demo with fov 100 because it can potentially change your shooting experience!

To cut it short, I made this topic because I was amazed at how much fov 100 and even fov 90 can change the shooting experience.
How can a simple fov change your gaming experience you ask?
Well simple, go ahead and enter the DNWEAPONS cheat so you get all weapons and then pick up each one of them and check them properly.
I recommend testing the RPG first by shooting and then reload it with the default fov and then try the same thing again with fov 100.
You will be amazed at how many fucking weapon details are being left out of your view with the default fov.
Pretty much 60% of the RPG is being hidden at all times due to the crappy low fov that the game comes with.
I was amazed to see how many animations and effects the RPG has when you shoot with it and see it at fov 100.
There are also other weapons that have like, extra lights and details that you never knew were there until you use fov 100.
For ex, the shrinker has a red LED on it's side that you never see when you play with the default lod...
So whether you knew that you can change your fov in this game but just didn't care to bother experimenting with it because you thought it would be useless or whether you just didn't know about this yet, I urge everybody to check out how the weapon animations and models look with fob 100 vs the default fov which seems to be fov 80.
If you feel that fov 100 is too much for you, try fov 90 or 95 until you find a sweet spot.
Everything above fov 100 makes the image look skewed and I don't like it. I found fov 100 to be the highest fov that can still maintain the image straight.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 06 June 2011 - 07:38 PM

User is offline   randir14 

Yeah, but I noticed when I shoot the RPG it makes a cycling animation as if it's reloading the next rocket, but there's nothing actually in the chamber.

View Postrandir14, on 06 June 2011 - 07:37 PM, said:

Yeah, but I noticed when I shoot the RPG it makes a cycling animation as if it's reloading the next rocket, but there's nothing actually in the chamber.

Did you see the lever that he pulls on the left? I didn't even notice the level with the the default fov.
With fov 100 you see how the pulls that lever and opens the rpg to evacuate an empty shell out of it.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 06 June 2011 - 07:40 PM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 06 June 2011 - 07:39 PM, said:

Did you see the lever that he pulls on the left? I didn't even notice the level with the the default fov.
With fov 100 you see how the pulls that lever and opens the rpg to evacuate an empty shell out of it.

Did someone say SHELLS?!?

View PostDN4EVR, on 06 June 2011 - 07:44 PM, said:

Did someone say SHELLS?!?

Haha, yeah. When I went to the penthouse and tested the rpg with fov 100 it was ejecting shells but now when I tried it in the bathroom, it ejects nothing when it reloads itself lol...
But even if it doesn't eject anything, the lever that you pull is still fucking awesome to see.
With the default fov you simply don't get to see that after each shot you are pulling the lever. With the default fov it looks like the RPG has a static handle on the left while in reality it has a stick that acts both as a handle and as reloading lever!

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 06 June 2011 - 07:49 PM

View PostMr.Deviance, on 06 June 2011 - 07:39 PM, said:

Yeah it looks cool, too bad they didn't actually model a rocket being reloaded inside though, but I guess they figured nobody would see it anyway with the default FoV. I didn't see any shells being ejected though, maybe it's a bug? Some of the weapons really do have nice details, like the AT laser with all its wires and glowing lights.

This post has been edited by randir14: 06 June 2011 - 07:49 PM

View Postrandir14, on 06 June 2011 - 07:49 PM, said:

Yeah it looks cool, too bad they didn't actually model a rocket being reloaded inside though, but I guess they figured nobody would see it anyway with the default FoV. I didn't see any shells being ejected though, maybe it's a bug? Some of the weapons really do have nice details, like the AT laser with all its wires and glowing lights.

This goes to show that the game is not finished and they are just masking the defects...
Instead of finishing the fucking rpg model, they rather cut from it with their gay fov so you don't see it.
That rpg has such a fucking cool reload animation and they just hid them. What the fuck were they thinking...
I am definitely sticking to fov 100 because everything is much cooler for me that way.

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 06 June 2011 - 07:51 PM, said:

This goes to show that the game is not finished and they are just masking the defects...
Instead of finishing the fucking rpg model, they rather cut from it with their gay fov so you don't see it.
That rpg has such a fucking cool reload animation and they just hid them. What the fuck were they thinking...
I am definitely sticking to fov 100 because everything is much cooler for me that way.

Let's wait for the full game to see if the stuff is added in...m'kay? :(

B)

User is offline   bjd. 

Very interesting, I'm looking forward to checking this out and seeing more of the weapons!

I'm not sure if the following works, but I'm going to try it when I get home and in the event it does work it may save a few people having to visit Google..

Apparently, to change your FOV settings in DNF Demo, start the game with the console option '-log'. The game starts with a separate desktop window which is the console. Once the game is started, ALT+TAB out of the game to get to the console. In the console, type:

set Engine.PlayerPawn DefaultFOV 90

(the number at the end obviously determines your FOV, change it accordingly)..

User is offline   johndough 

Making the FOV a high number allows you to see more stuff around you at the cost of making it harder to see directly in front of you.
I think the most balanced FOV is 90, maybe 100.

View Postbjd., on 06 June 2011 - 08:06 PM, said:

Very interesting, I'm looking forward to checking this out and seeing more of the weapons!

I'm not sure if the following works, but I'm going to try it when I get home and in the event it does work it may save a few people having to visit Google..

Apparently, to change your FOV settings in DNF Demo, start the game with the console option '-log'. The game starts with a separate desktop window which is the console. Once the game is started, ALT+TAB out of the game to get to the console. In the console, type:

set Engine.PlayerPawn DefaultFOV 90

(the number at the end obviously determines your FOV, change it accordingly)..

Check the "DNF mods & editing" forum here on Duke4, there's a thread that says how to enable the console in-game so you don't have to alt tab. Just paste this into the dev console: set UWindow.WindowConsole ConsoleKey 192
Now you can press ~ in game to bring up the console. And to change FoV in the console it's as simple as typing "fov 90"

This post has been edited by randir14: 06 June 2011 - 08:37 PM

User is offline   kaisersoze 

• Honored Donor

Can anyone post pics? Thanks!

View Postkaisersoze, on 06 June 2011 - 08:46 PM, said:

You need to see the animations not just pics.

View Postkaisersoze, on 06 June 2011 - 08:46 PM, said:

http://i.imgur.com/CsdH2.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/mzjk5.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NUu88.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/rx2LK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Y0Caz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/FDFAK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/djXtW.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/E1OGi.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5jl2j.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/a7tKt.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pswff.jpg

User is offline   bjd. 

View Postrandir14, on 06 June 2011 - 08:36 PM, said:

Check the "DNF mods & editing" forum here on Duke4, there's a thread that says how to enable the console in-game so you don't have to alt tab. Just paste this into the dev console: set UWindow.WindowConsole ConsoleKey 192
Now you can press ~ in game to bring up the console. And to change FoV in the console it's as simple as typing "fov 90"

Great thanks I'll check that out :(

Changing the FOV plus disabling post-processing makes the game look a lot better. The only in-game event that looks really weird with larger FOV is the end of the first demo level, but a binding to switch back to regular FOV once a messed-up looking cutscene starts should fix that.

This post has been edited by MYHOUSE.MAP: 06 June 2011 - 10:23 PM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Now I see....

The weapons DO take up too much screen space. If you check the older footage you can see it was always like this, with fov 90. I would find it uncomfortable to use 100 or more. Not to mention Duke's step would seem a lot slower.

User is offline   zwieback 

View PostMYHOUSE.MAP, on 06 June 2011 - 10:23 PM, said:

Changing the FOV plus disabling post-processing makes the game look a lot better. The only in-game event that looks really weird with larger FOV is the end of the first demo level, but a binding to switch back to regular FOV once a messed-up looking cutscene starts should fix that.

this. excatly this B)

i will play the game
- without post processing (if there are no seperate options available in the full version)
- but leave the rest untouched

for multiplayer i will ofc modify the fov :(

You're making me miss my PC gaming days, a lot! I had noticed about the RPG not having a reload animation on my second playthrough, but if the game has always had FOV 90, then why would 3DR make it that way, why bother doing an unseen animation? Is this a Gearbox game design choice to exclude half of the gun or 3DR or Triptych then? What's FOV anyway?

This post has been edited by Sinisterambo: 07 June 2011 - 12:31 PM

User is offline   Hysler 

I love how they put the nuke symbol on the shotgun like in Duke3D, it looks so cool. FOV 100 really looks amazing :(

Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   Honza 

I made an article regarding this matter a while ago:
Duke Nukem Forever demo FOV mod

and I can't agree more with Mr.Deviance

User is offline   Sebastian 

Damn. I didn't realize how different that made the game look. Much.. much better.

The only weird looking thing is the shotgun but if you think about it, the way he holds it up to his chest like that almost makes it even more badass.

View PostHonza, on 07 June 2011 - 11:55 AM, said:

I made an article regarding this matter a while ago...

Ta

User is offline   Mack 

View Postrandir14, on 06 June 2011 - 08:55 PM, said:

FOV weapon pics

Wow that's quiet the improvement. I think FOV 100 is a bit much for my tastes however (shouldn't see the middle bar for the Devastator in my opinion), I think I'll give FOV 90 a shot and see how it fairs.

User is offline   Montykoro 

Fov 100 ruin the FBA... duke hand clip leg.... :(

User is offline   ferran275 

holy shit the shotgun has notches etched into it, that is so fucking badass :(

yeah, this is the FIRST thing I'll do when I get the game, fo sho

User is offline   Honza 

does it work in final as well?

View PostHonza, on 09 June 2011 - 05:26 PM, said:

does it work in final as well?

What ?
You mean changing the FOV ?
Unfortunately, no.
They disabled the dev console.

This is just me guessing, but i think there will be another way to enable the dev console.
We will only need to find out.

I am not sure, but i think i've read once that they are releasing cheats for this game after the game has been released, i think that is where you get to know how to enable the dev console.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options