Duke4.net Forums: One-sound mixing on Ubuntu Linux - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

One-sound mixing on Ubuntu Linux

Hi everyone.
I'm running EDuke32 2.0.0devel r1900 on Ubuntu, (more precisely: 2.6.35-29-generic #51-Ubuntu SMP). The game runs flawlessly, I tried HiRes pack and all, no problems. EXCEPT I have this issue that makes the game completely useless for me.

Thing is, I can only hear ONE sound at once - I mean in-game sounds, not music, which seems to work independently. No matter what number of voices I have set, 8 or 96, I can only actually hear ONE. So, you must agree, this sucks donkey balls. I cannot hear monsters shooting at me from behind 'cos I'm reloading my pistol, hey, this can't be serious.

(As everyone using ubuntu after 2007) I'm using pulseaudio.

I searched the forum, and have only found one post where somebody had like 8 sounds, but he got no answer anyway; that's why I decided to register and write this. If I missed some previous posts, sorry and please redirect me.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

I experienced this when I gave DNE a shot, but never the vanilla game. Unfortunately, I don't have a better idea than to blindly try out different configurations: for example, changing mixing sample rate, compiling with SDL 1.3 vs. 1.2, using a different sound backend (?)...

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Yeah, I always manually remove pulseaudio and use the ALSA backend for SDL instead. Since I've never experienced anything like this, maybe it's specific to the PulseAudio backend?

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

I've never experienced that as an issue, and I am using Pulseaudio (on Ubuntu 11.04 with Gnome 3 to be informative).

If you killall pulseaudio (or pulseaudio -k) you should fall back to ALSA unless pulseaudio is set to auto-respawn (which can be adjusted in configuration files, google it since I don't recall details). See if that makes a difference.

Thanks guys. Well, it's rather not a pulseaudio-related issue. I stopped it, killed it - to be sure, I even removed it, making my system relay on alsa. Still, the game acted in exactly identical manner - one sound at once. (Actually, without pulse, it was even worse, 'cos the playback became cpu-heavy).

For now, I think I will just test some other (older) eduke versions, maybe devs made it loose some compatibility I need along the way. I think there should be some in-game mixer, which only creates one pulse/oss/esd/whatever client, so that actually it should work whatever linux soundsystem is in use. After all, it was possible in DOS:)
Utill success, I stick to my dosbox and classic duke:) It does at least 16 voices at once;)

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Did you self-compile or is it packaged?

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostEvander_Sinque, on 07 June 2011 - 11:32 PM, said:

I think there should be some in-game mixer, which only creates one pulse/oss/esd/whatever client, so that actually it should work whatever linux soundsystem is in use. After all, it was possible in DOS:)

That's actually exactly what it does. This breakage is some kind of recent regression.

Edit: a regression that I can't seem to reproduce, at that.

User is offline   fabz 

Hi!
I'm having exactly the same problem.

Running Ubuntu 11.04
(2.6.38-8-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 11 03:31:24 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux).

I use the apt.duke4.net repository for installation.

With version 2.0.0devel.20110425.r1872-1 the sound works fine,
with version 2.0.0devel.20110529.r1900-1 the bug is there.
So the regression must be somewhere between those revisions.

Maybe that helps.

View Postfabz, on 09 June 2011 - 04:11 AM, said:

Hi!
I'm having exactly the same problem.

Running Ubuntu 11.04
(2.6.38-8-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 11 03:31:24 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux).

I use the apt.duke4.net repository for installation.

With version 2.0.0devel.20110425.r1872-1 the sound works fine,
with version 2.0.0devel.20110529.r1900-1 the bug is there.
So the regression must be somewhere between those revisions.

Maybe that helps.

Oh great! So I only have to go back a month in versions:)
Yeah well, for now let's assume its ED devs' business.
As for reproducing the bug (@TX), well, ask for whatever info you need on this, my system is pretty much customised, maybe I have some unique combination of pulseaudio bugs:)

EDIT: I confirm, the older version runs perfectly normal.

This post has been edited by Evander_Sinque: 10 June 2011 - 12:12 AM

User is offline   fabz 

In version 2.0.0devel.20110604.r1902-1 the bug seems to be gone
and sound is back to normal.

Thanks a lot for the quick fix!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options