Duke4.net Forums: Demo is prolly 2% of overall game - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Demo is prolly 2% of overall game  "George Broussard Twitter"

User is offline   ch108 

View Postcoheed82, on 07 June 2011 - 05:16 AM, said:

Sorry, i didnt think fraps took pictures simply of a webpage or whatever i thought its just "in-game" or "in movie". i dont mind though, its like just afew seconds longer to do & it gets the point across. So how do i take a picture of steam page then? thanks man :(

Alt+Print Screen to get a picture of selected window (in this case steam) then Ctrl + V paste picture into paint and save as a jpeg, png or whatever.

View Postcoheed82, on 07 June 2011 - 05:16 AM, said:

Sorry, i didnt think fraps took pictures simply of a webpage or whatever i thought its just "in-game" or "in movie". i dont mind though, its like just afew seconds longer to do & it gets the point across. So how do i take a picture of steam page then? thanks man :(

PrtScn ( Print Screen ) then go to paint and paste, save as and upload.

Or simply fraps, read the description, i believe it's F10.

This post has been edited by themaniacboy: 07 June 2011 - 05:22 AM

User is offline   coheed82 

Hmmm. this doesnt work for me. maybe its something to do with my laptop? the button for printscreen is like this: END on the top then prtsc under that... so pressing it doesnt use the prtsc command but the end one.. sorry i havent worked this out yet, but how do i get around this?

View Postcoheed82, on 07 June 2011 - 05:32 AM, said:

Hmmm. this doesnt work for me. maybe its something to do with my laptop? the button for printscreen is like this: END on the top then prtsc under that... so pressing it doesnt use the prtsc command but the end one.. sorry i havent worked this out yet, but how do i get around this?

Just use fraps, i believe it's F10 or something.

Edit :

Nevermind, read ch108's comment.

This post has been edited by themaniacboy: 07 June 2011 - 05:34 AM

User is offline   coheed82 

thanks guys, i had to use yahoo also, but i found out the secret. i had to press FN first. as the printscreen key is a secondary function.

Posted Image

:(

anyone got more hours over me with this demo yet??

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostGothicBunny, on 06 June 2011 - 08:32 PM, said:

well dont then, simple, i am still going to play it through, we all know its nothing like duke 3d and is more of a modern shooter, but fuck.... 12 years is worth a buy/play.

Woops, wait! Sorry but the production time say nothing except the incompetence of the company that lost all this time in the making of one single game that don't look that better than some average shooters nowadays (except the ridiculously repetitive military ones, like COD and Medal of Honor). I don't care. The game looks fun for an average shooter but it make me sad when I think the potential DNF had and, for what I can see (in many videos, interviews and sh1t like that) has not been availed. It just look a regular spin-off of Duke, not what this franchise deserved as a direct sequel.
Anyway all this discussion is stupid, it won't make DNF different.

View PostLkMax, on 07 June 2011 - 06:06 AM, said:

Woops, wait! Sorry but the production time say nothing except the incompetence of the company that lost all this time in the making of one single game that don't look that better than some average shooters nowadays (except the ridiculously repetitive military ones, like COD and Medal of Honor). I don't care. The game looks fun for an average shooter but it make me sad when I think the potential DNF had and, for what I can see (in many videos, interviews and sh1t like that) has not been availed. It just look a regular spin-off of Duke, not what this franchise deserved as a direct sequel.
Anyway all this discussion is stupid, it won't make DNF different.

I think everyone wished it had been released back in 2001, but it looks like we'll never hear anything of that version anymore.

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

Rather than create another thread, I will just post this here and see what happens...

I wondered what a comparison would look like of Demo reactions...
What games did you buy based off of Demos and such. I will start.

All my stuff will be old of course.

• Wolfenstein was an early one. I finished the shareware and wanted more, so I bought it a few weeks later at WalMart actually.
  • DooM I ordered before I finished the third level.
  • Heretic... oh yeah. I paused the game in the first ROOM of Heretic of ordered it. When I shot that first Demon and his little ghost soul popped out, I was SOLD!
  • HeXen... I bought it based on the courtyard in the first level. As the Mage, I shot the stained glass... between the sound effects, the environmental effects (leaves blowing around in places) and the glass breaking, It was sold. Shortly after that I played it multi-player and just went ahead and bought 3 more retail copies. Ultimately buying 8 total copies.

That is enough for now, but I had similar reactions to HeXen 2 and Hexetic 2. (and others)

I still have not played the DNF Demo... and I am probably too biased anyway... and it is already pre-ordered.

But I am curious as to others reactions to previous games demos, compared to reactions to Duke Nukem Forever. Is it really "that bad"?

I accept that most of the games I mentioned I had NO Previous knowledge of besides the text file in the archive and I didn't follow games back then like I did with Duke Nukem Forever. So from these experiences, I think it wise to withdraw from any previous knowledge of released games from now on.

Not a decision for me yet, but it is becoming a consideration based on what I believe is far more of a "failed expectations" problem than any actual problems with the game or Demo.

Any input would be appreciated.

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 07 June 2011 - 06:22 AM

User is offline   ch108 

View PostMrBlackCat, on 07 June 2011 - 06:19 AM, said:

Rather than create another thread, I will just post this here and see what happens...

I wondered what a comparison would look like of Demo reactions...
What games did you buy based off of Demos and such. I will start.

All my stuff will be old of course.

• Wolfenstein was an early one. I finished the shareware and wanted more, so I bought it a few weeks later at WalMart actually.
  • DooM I ordered before I finished the third level.
  • Heretic... oh yeah. I paused the game in the first ROOM of Heretic of ordered it. When I shot that first Demon and his little ghost soul popped out, I was SOLD!
  • HeXen... I bought it based on the courtyard in the first level. As the Mage, I shot the stained glass... between the sound effects, the environmental effects (leaves blowing around in places) and the glass breaking, It was sold. Shortly after that I played it multi-player and just went ahead and bought 3 more retail copies. Ultimately buying 8 total copies.

That is enough for now, but I had similar reactions to HeXen 2 and Hexetic 2. (and others)

I still have not played the DNF Demo... and I am probably too biased anyway... and it is already pre-ordered.

But I am curious as to others reactions to previous games demos, compared to reactions to Duke Nukem Forever. Is it really "that bad"?

I accept that most of the games I mentioned I had NO Previous knowledge of besides the text file in the archive and I didn't follow games back then like I did with Duke Nukem Forever. So from these experiences, I think it wise to withdraw from any previous knowledge of released games from now on.

Not a decision for me yet, but it is becoming a consideration based on what I believe is far more of a "failed expectations" problem than any actual problems with the game or Demo.

Any input would be appreciated.

MrBlackCat

My feeling was that the demo was too darn short compared to the shareware you mentioned which gave you a real flavour for the game's atmosphere and what it was about. I suppose it felt more like a playable tech demo than an actual demo, yes I enjoyed it and I can understand them not wanting to give much away until the games release but if this is what modern demos are like then the games industry does not really respect the customer enough to give them something substantial for free. They don't trust us to buy it if we see more than X amount of the game in a demo.

Just my impressions on the demo, hopefully another member will chime in and better articulate their views on the demo.

View Postch108, on 08 June 2011 - 07:48 AM, said:

My feeling was that the demo was too darn short compared to the shareware you mentioned which gave you a real flavour for the game's atmosphere and what it was about. I suppose it felt more like a playable tech demo than an actual demo, yes I enjoyed it and I can understand them not wanting to give much away until the games release but if this is what modern demos are like then the games industry does not really respect the customer enough to give them something substantial for free. They don't trust us to buy it if we see more than X amount of the game in a demo.

Just my impressions on the demo, hopefully another member will chime in and better articulate their views on the demo.
Thank you for the reply.
Part of my point was the I was sold on the first levels of many of these games... and in my view this was "enough" for me.
I am still thinking the days before I used game forums I was "happier" with games. Expectations is what I suspect is the biggest player now.
Advertising seems to be used, not to showcase a game so much as it is to manipulate expectations in the target. Oh well... I am decided even without playing DNF, but I am still curious to see if others here have bought games based on demos.

MrBlackCat

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

Also when those games came out there was really nothing else like them on the market. Pretty much every game had something new to offer. Today you rarely see that.

View PostMad Max RW, on 08 June 2011 - 08:04 AM, said:

Also when those games came out there was really nothing else like them on the market. Pretty much every game had something new to offer. Today you rarely see that.
Yeah... I agree... we were talking about that elsewhere. How the 3D FPS genre is kind of "full" of features in a way. People are saying all these games are "the same" but what choice do they have? Is like cars maybe in that most of them are going to have 4 tires... there is only so much variation you can do.

Like when DooM was out, it was awesome, but like you say, there was a LOT more to be done. I don't think we can say that anymore... all that is left is details becoming more and more minor.
It reminds me of guys with car clubs of a specific type (e.g. All Mazda RX7's) who "customize" them. THEY see them as all different... but the untrained eye sees them all the same with some trim changes.

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 08 June 2011 - 08:19 AM

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

I'm still waiting for someone to really tackle artificial intelligence. Developers are the first to admit very little has been done to improve games in that aspect. You take away the scripts and AI is no different than where we were 10 or 15 years ago.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 08 June 2011 - 08:59 AM

View PostMad Max RW, on 08 June 2011 - 08:57 AM, said:

I'm still waiting for someone to really tackle artificial intelligence. Developers are the first to admit very little has been done to improve games in that aspect. You take away the scripts and AI is no different than where we were 10 or 15 years ago.
I have been writing learning AI since Vic 20 days... there are REASONS scripting is used rather than AI. Hehehe
That stuff is complex... I end up programming an AI as a script selector more than anything. Sometimes with networked AI (no more than three hubs) to react to changing conditions. I can't imagine actually applying it to a game though...

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 08 June 2011 - 09:10 AM

User is offline   Gf11speed 

View PostMad Max RW, on 08 June 2011 - 08:57 AM, said:

AI has improved, certainly, but the biggest issue is that graphics have gotten so much better and look so much more realistic that you almost expect it to act just as realistic. So when we had simplistic graphics it was a lot easier to make a character seem more intelligent. But now with ultra realistic looking characters in our games, it's hard for us to justify the AI not being near true to life.

This post has been edited by Gf11speed: 08 June 2011 - 10:02 AM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options