Duke4.net Forums: Ruthless Corporatism of the worst kind with serious implications on GBX forums! - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ruthless Corporatism of the worst kind with serious implications on GBX forums!

Before I bitch about the forum that almost all of us criticized at one point, I have to say why I am making this topic.
This is not intended to be another one of those "FUCK Gearbox for abusing me on their nazi forum, threads".
I made this topic with the intention of exposing the fact that Gearbox has immediately locked and deleted a topic that gathered popularity fast and it was about a very important issue with the game.
The said topic had this title " Gearbox has censored Duke Nukem Forever! WHY did Gearbox do this? "

The OP of that topic was claiming that the gore in DNF Demo is looking so toned when compared to this video, that it actually feels censored.

After he showed his evidece, he said that it would be cool if some developer or manager could answer there and explain what's that all about.
So what did Gbx moderators do after 4 pages of people agreeing with the thread starter and asking for official answers?
That's right, they fucking locked the topic and deleted it 2 seconds later!

Gearbox does not want you to know that Duke Nukem Forever's gore has been toned down and they certainly don't want you to see this video.
The official DNF forums are the purest form of sulfuric acid in a sense that nothing important makes it through the nazi filter if you post about it there.
Gearbox is acting completely hypocritical and in the last few months they have crossed every single fucking line of decency that any human being can tolerate, no matter how tolerant he is!
DNF or not, they have given some extreme examples of dictatorship and this has got to be brought to everybody's attention because this is a VERY SERIOUS ISSUE.
The forums that are representing the official product that we are buying, are censoring anything and everything you or anybody else might dare to post there as negative feedback.

This topic is a huge protest against the abuse and censorship that is going on over there on the OFFICIAL Duke Nukem Forever forums.
Nothing that dares to question things is allowed there for more than 3 or 4 pages, before it gets locked and deleted so nobody else knows it ever existed.

Judging by their daily abuse and censorship of any form of feedback about broken things it begs the question if they are not following orders from their high ups that want Duke Nukem Forever sold at any cost to as many unsuspecting people as possible.
There is no other explication for their miserable censorship and their miserable communist dictatorial attitudes.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 04 June 2011 - 01:55 PM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

Too bad no one made an archive of the posts.......I would've been interested to skim them.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

All these threads about the Gearbox forums being a shithole make me sad. George Broussard may have been a fuckup as far as getting DNF finished went, but at least he was always opposed to censoring people's opinions. I recall there being a lot of people that Joe would like to have banned but George prevented him from doing so. This kind of thing never would have gone this way on the 3DR forums.

As for the game censorship issue, I hope it's just some kind of bug with the demo and not a deliberate removal of blood and gore from the game. Considering the other content in DNF, I can't see why this would be done on purpose unless it was done to hide graphical glitches with their decal system or something.

What I can say for sure is that this demo definitely isn't an old build of the game... engine.dll contains a build string that shows it was compiled on June 1st. I guess we'll see how the full game is in a few days.

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

Sooner or later karma will catch up and bite them in the ass.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

It's not as if extra gore is going to upset people, what with lesbian schoolgirls and sh*t smearing on the walls in the game already.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

Communist Corporatism? Isn't that an oxymoron?

Shut up about the GBX forum. Talk about the game....

That is kind of odd that in Jace Hall there was more gore than in the demo. If the final result is lacking in gore to someone's taste, it will be modded (again, providing that the game is moddable).

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMr.Flibble, on 04 June 2011 - 02:22 PM, said:

Shut up about the GBX forum. Talk about the game....

That is kind of odd that in Jace Hall there was more gore than in the demo. If the final result is lacking in gore to someone's taste, it will be modded (again, providing that the game is moddable).

Um, if this thread is about the forum, talking about the game would be offtopic. :(

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

Talking about GBX forum is off topic for the forum section to begin with...and has been locked more times than I care to count out in links.

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMr.Flibble, on 04 June 2011 - 02:30 PM, said:

Talking about GBX forum is off topic for the forum section to begin with...and has been locked more times than I care to count out in links.

Yes but he's not just talking about how they closed a DNF topic, but also about that topic in general & it's possible impacts on the full game if true(possible censorship in the game)......thus it's not offtopic.

Seriously, I don't get how people can both dislike the gbx forums yet get mad whenever people find fault with them and talk about it.

This post has been edited by DN4EVR: 04 June 2011 - 02:36 PM

View PostMr.Flibble, on 04 June 2011 - 02:22 PM, said:

Trust me, when I used the word Communist I used it to replace another word that you don't even want to imagine I would be capable of using.
So it fell in place like an oxymoron, I agree but I am just auto censoring myself for a good reason.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 04 June 2011 - 02:38 PM

I dunno, something doesn't make sense regarding the whole gore thing. Think about it, why would Triptych want to change the gore? Why would Randy, who is as much a fanboy as the rest of us, allow it to be changed? Why would 2k care if the game was gory? Didn't they make Bioshock?

I'd say the gore has more to do with it being a public demo or something. Also, the demo itself is an outdated build. This is what they were showing at PAX East, just before they delayed the game to give it more polish. Maybe they were still trying to get performance stable for the game and turned it down for the demo so that people wouldn't have too much of a performance issues on the demo machines at PAX?

Although I do not agree with their handling of the situation at all. All it would take is a simple "Yes, the demo is an outdated build. The gore, graphics and other stuff will be much better in the final version." to have saved them quite a few preorder cancellations. Because there is no way in hell that this is the final build. At all.

View PostMr.Deviance, on 04 June 2011 - 02:36 PM, said:

Trust me, when I used the word Communist I used it to replace another word that you don't even want to imagine I would be capable of using.
So it fell in place like an oxymoron, I agree but I am just auto censoring myself for a good reason.

Facist?

This post has been edited by BraveTriforcer: 04 June 2011 - 02:43 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 04 June 2011 - 01:52 PM, said:

Gearbox does not want you to know that Duke Nukem Forever's gore has been toned down and they certainly don't want you to see this video.

The game has got fair ratings in Europe, including my Vaterland, which has a very narrow view on violence. If what you say is true, it probably was one oft he motivator to tone down the gore.

As for Gearbox forum, I go there every Friday. So I missed yet another sensorship in action.

@ Mr. Flibble, relax, this topic is both, game and the infamous Gearbox forum.

This is becoming more and more of the norm. I've seen this in cases other than videogaming too. The problem is, censorship, like so many other things, are only viewed as being negative when it comes to politics/government. In the U.S. for example, anything that the government has deemed unconstitutional only means the government won't do it to you. Corporations can still do whatever they want though. It's perfectly legal for them to lie through their teeth in advertising if they wish, and cover up any negative information. If a critic reviews something that is 98% negative, they may still use that 2% to epically splash 1 positive word on the screen and cite the critic who said it.

Additionally, whenever protests against immoral behavior by corporations happen (aside from really big, destructive things, like spilling millions of gallons of oil into the ocean), the protestors are made out (not just by the corporations, but by the general public too) to be extremists who are overstepping their authority. They're told to stop being haters, and to mind their own business. And then they get told they have no right to tell a company how to run their business. Business is just business, and we're all just expected to always turn a blind eye to it.

I don't see why you said communist though. Communism, technically, is about as far from capitalist BS as you can possibly get.

This post has been edited by wayskobfssae: 04 June 2011 - 03:05 PM

View PostBraveTriforcer, on 04 June 2011 - 02:42 PM, said:

Also, the demo itself is an outdated build.

People keep saying this despite there being proof to the contrary within the demo's files.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 04 June 2011 - 03:18 PM

View PostBraveTriforcer, on 04 June 2011 - 02:42 PM, said:

Facist?

Naah man, forget it. I am myself a fascist in ideology so I definitely don't censor the word Fascist lol.
Forget it. Let's not stall on this matter. It was a passing one.

User is offline   randir14 

I'm hoping the full game isn't censored. In the Jace Hall video you can see little gibs which aren't in the demo, but in one of the trailers you can see them again.

View PostMad Max RW, on 04 June 2011 - 03:18 PM, said:

People keep saying this despite there being proof to the contrary within the demo's files.

Show me the proof.

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostBraveTriforcer, on 04 June 2011 - 03:38 PM, said:

Show me the proof.

One of the mods found a date on the engine build in the demo files and posted it in one of the other threads...of course this may just mean it was updated to include the mine content on that date but I dunno.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postwayskobfssae, on 04 June 2011 - 02:44 PM, said:

This is becoming more and more of the norm. I've seen this in cases other than videogaming too. The problem is, censorship, like so many other things, are only viewed as being negative when it comes to politics/government. In the U.S. for example, anything that the government has deemed unconstitutional only means the government won't do it to you. Corporations can still do whatever they want though. It's perfectly legal for them to lie through their teeth in advertising if they wish, and cover up any negative information.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, but I would just like to point out that false advertising is illegal in the United States, and companies are frequently held accountable for it. In addition to federal laws, many individual states have laws that are even more strict: http://en.wikipedia....sing_regulation

When people post on a company forum, they are doing so as guests of the company that runs the forum. The company has the right to delete posts, topics, ban users, etc., just as the moderators do here. If they choose to do so in a way that is unfair, than that is unfortunate, but it's not a violation of anyone's free speech rights (it is simply the company exercising their own rights over their own property: the forum). Saying that people have a right to post their opinions on a company forum is like saying they have a right to get published in someone's magazine.

Having said that, from what I have heard it sounds like Gearbox is ruling their forums with an iron fist, and they are sure to alienate fans by doing so. Luckily, people can come here to express their opinions (although there are limitations here as well).

User is offline   Stewox 

I was banned there because of such things ... and they blamed me i was "flaming because of PC vs Console talk" ... but i always brought up the important topics about dedicated servers / steamworks / dev console / 2 weapon issue / multiplayer modes / ....etc and i always had the most popular of threads ... actually driving the community at the start.

The big Steamworks VS Dedicated servers thread was mine (already under a different nick :()
I can't recally all but all those huge POLL threads that actually were important and not some "duke hat with a nuke VS duke hat with a turd" kind of low-priority stuff.

but this was going more and more bad , i got more and more stupid responses and more and more console noobs came to the forums so i resisted them for a while until they just got ME rid off ... what the fuck is damien thinking, he was ... like more than half of the time against me and he's a PC guy ... i can't blame anyone for subjective since it's the gearbox policy that mods must follow so i don't have any argues, but he's a PC player, and i bet he was acting that out to be ... "inside" the community just taknig a horde on the majority, damn i hate this mainstream mindset.

Everyone saw 5 guys not agreeing (who were those noobs who ALWAYS STARTED THE flame war) and then everybody else all aboard the fail train.

And i was constantly saying "i am not claiming anything, i am trying to make SURE they get the feedback and they can possibly fix it, if it wasn't for me and my threads standing out they would maybe forgot to think of it or what ... it makes a developer know what the community thinks"
- that was purely me with 3 different nicknames doing ALL THE FEEDBACK work for ALL the 2010 what was left of it. - when they got enough of popularity so the community could carry it self ... i got the boot.

Gearbox just dindn't liked criticism and "worrying" - and i wasn't trolling - and i wasn't flaming - it was factual evidence and feedback and it was contructive , the the other's reacted to it like kids and im not REPONSIBLE TO OTHERS REACTING - i don't even care about it, if somebody has so weak mind he can't take it - im not your dad , i don't have to care.

The game's out like in a week , need to watch nintendo's E3 , and then duke ... so ... that's history , but still a thought.

TX posted it in the thread you are currently reading.

User is offline   MartyMcFly 

If this demo represents the final game in terms of lack of gore, all I can say is that shit will hit the fan... I dont condone trolling or flaming in forums, however, given such a back hander to the face of the community, I think Gearbox should prepare for whats eventually coming for them.
I already accept the game will be flawed, but any blood censorship really grinds my balls. The shrink ray "squish" has never looked so retarded and unsatisfying.

This post has been edited by MartyMcFly: 04 June 2011 - 04:58 PM

I will pray that they havent censored the game... i really hope this is not true, there was no reason to censor it in the fucking first place.

So what do we do? It's not out yet... They just couldn't could they? I mean they couldn't/wouldn't/shouldn't, haven't toned it down.

This post has been edited by Sinisterambo: 04 June 2011 - 05:48 PM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostSinisterambo, on 04 June 2011 - 05:45 PM, said:

So what do we do? It's not out yet...
Free Omaha Steaks for everyone? :(

User is offline   MartyMcFly 

I've never had one and I love steak, so yes please :(

Take a look at how fucked-up the EDF guys are near the white-board. Methinks this game is pushing it with how far it's gone with controversy, and as a result the true level of gore displayed in the game is being 'kept hidden' from the eyes of the public and media. Because you know, there's a big group of people that would love to watch this game crash and burn, and I'm sure making a big deal about how 'OMG VYLENT' the game is and how it will corrupt our poor widdle children really wouldn't do GBX any favors in the marketing department right now.

I've posted a couple of times in the GBX forums, and here (this site is WAY better). But if you don't mind me asking, since I've seen alot of people dissing GBX in other threads, what's so bad about their forums? I'm in no way defending them, I'm just hella curious.

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View Postthelegend4ever, on 04 June 2011 - 06:09 PM, said:

I've posted a couple of times in the GBX forums, and here (this site is WAY better). But if you don't mind me asking, since I've seen alot of people dissing GBX in other threads, what's so bad about their forums? I'm in no way defending them, I'm just hella curious.

Some of the mods there like to powertrip and lock threads for no reason or ban people for simple things while letting other worse things slide.

View PostMysteryMeat, on 04 June 2011 - 05:58 PM, said:

Take a look at how fucked-up the EDF guys are near the white-board. Methinks this game is pushing it with how far it's gone with controversy, and as a result the true level of gore displayed in the game is being 'kept hidden' from the eyes of the public and media. Because you know, there's a big group of people that would love to watch this game crash and burn, and I'm sure making a big deal about how 'OMG VYLENT' the game is and how it will corrupt our poor widdle children really wouldn't do GBX any favors in the marketing department right now.

The Bulletstorm demo didn't seem too concerned with this. It even goes so far as to encourage the player to find more interesting ways of torturing and tearing enemies apart.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options