Duke4.net Forums: The Real Critic - DNF Demo Dropped the Ball - it is HALO! - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Real Critic - DNF Demo Dropped the Ball - it is HALO!  "Why George can't Hide"

User is offline   muskydragon 

• Yatta is a dictator! :)

This is my critic review of DNF.

Now I play lots of video games mind you.
(Warning: This is my Review of the Demo not the full DNF experience. I will play the full DNF and hopefully it will be different then the demo.)

The demo of Duke Nukem Forever feels like nothing new to me.
The Game feels like playing Halo and Call of Duty games Campaign.. so far. from what I played in the demo and also in places feels like they ripped off half life 2 in the second part of the demo.

The way Duke moves and the gameplay in general feels like HALO! I mean come on people.. seriously. go play Halo if you think I am wrong.

Even the little missions where you are forced to shoot down a certain craft.. they even leave out the death animation and magically the ship appears dead on the ground!

THIS IS BLASPHEMY! but yet it does have a retro feel to it. Just the game feels and plays like something that wasn't finished to me and could have been polished for another 2 years. Even in certain places the game seems to lag or has running gameplay issues. If you want to worship this game. Go play a game called "Tresspasser" it is a Jurassic park game which was really good and yet sucked badly in my opinion. So this game will probably have a love and hate relationship.

Hopefully I am wrong and all the gaming critics won't eat duke alive. But sadly.. I think they will.

I am not looking forward to Duke Nukem Forever comming out now and nor should you after playing the demo. If anything you should avoid the demo. Cause at least it will make the ride more painful for you in the end, the people who actually waited 12 fucking years and the people who actually are willing to pay $60 for this game.

My Verdict - RENT IT!

This post has been edited by muskydragon: 03 June 2011 - 12:08 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I've always said I would enjoy it for what it is not what anyone hoped it to be. The weapon limitation I've already forgotten about. And I quite enjoyed the HL2-style slower pacing of the last section. I wish the area was a little more expansive, though. That mine felt severely cramped. But it's only a taste. And who's to say that the mine will be that small in the full game?

As far as the gameplay is concerned, I enjoyed it. I don't need it to be anything new. I just want to have fun as Duke and that's what I did.

It's not like Halo at all. I played all halo games and those games suck ass. Dnf is not like halo.

User is offline   Engel220 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 03 June 2011 - 12:05 PM, said:

I've always said I would enjoy it for what it is not what anyone hoped it to be. The weapon limitation I've already forgotten about. And I quite enjoyed the HL2-style slower pacing of the last section. I wish the area was a little more expansive, though. That mine felt severely cramped. But it's only a taste. And who's to say that the mine will be that small in the full game?

As far as the gameplay is concerned, I enjoyed it. I don't need it to be anything new. I just want to have fun as Duke and that's what I did.

Now THAT is a post worth reading (In my opinion). The OP is more or less the typical troll comment that I've become deaf and blind to over today, I loved the demo and that's what matters to me. It just saddens me that people who claim to be loyal Duke fans are running their gobs off at the only company who actually dared to take the time to save the game from the scrapheap. Maybe some things could've been done better, maybe 3D Realms could've marketed the game better themselves, but sod it, it's the game that matters.

This post has been edited by Engel220: 03 June 2011 - 12:13 PM

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

What do i care if it looks like "this" or feels like "that".

It's Duke Nukem Forever.

My Verdict - BUY IT!

View PostMr.Deviance, on 03 June 2011 - 12:08 PM, said:

It's not like Halo at all. I played all halo games and those games suck ass. Dnf is not like halo.

Wait in what way is this game not like Halo?
#1 Halo had opened areas and multiple paths..
#2 you could only hold two weapons
#3 enemies would come from dropships
#4 the way you use weapons and punch enemies feels exactly like halo!
#5 Regenerating Health???
#6 you had driveable vehicles in it.

Really seriously this isn't halo type gameplay!!!.. FUCK OFF! Fanboy... and stop lieing to the idiots on the forum.

If Halo sucks ass so does DUKE! cause it has the exact type of gameplay... otherwise shut me the fuck up and prove me wrong.

All duke has is different weapons, fatalities and different areas.. more interactivity and a longer game... That is about it really.. but that doesn't mean the ride might get boring after 6 hours of using the same weapons.

This post has been edited by muskydragon: 03 June 2011 - 12:15 PM

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

When I read the title "The Real Critic" I guess I just took it wrong... seems so arrogant to me. Just my opinion.
But "my opinion" read the whole post through the pre-filter of "this guy is arrogant" so if I miss-interpreted, I consider that the doing of the thread-creator due to their choice of title wording.
Some people don't earn their reputation... some people do. In my opinion.

Due to the above, I can't take much of anything in the review seriously.

BTW, I never played Halo or have even watched it played I don't think. I am not a modern gamer. I just crawled out from under my rock to get Duke Nukem Forever.

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 03 June 2011 - 12:15 PM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View Postmuskydragon, on 03 June 2011 - 12:12 PM, said:

Wait in what way is this game not like Halo?
#1 Halo had opened areas and multiple paths..
#2 you could only hold two weapons
#3 enemies would come from dropships
#4 the way you use weapons and punch enemies feels exactly like halo!
#5 Regenerating Health???
#6 you had driveable vehicles in it.

Really seriously this isn't halo type gameplay!!!.. FUCK OFF! Fanboy... and stop lieing to the idiots on the forum.

Alot of games had some of those things, and some even before halo...also this is a DNF fansite.......of course fans are gonna be on it. :( :( B)

To everybody that says it's like hl2, I have to tell that it's not like HL2 it's like HL1
That second level from the demo gave me a pure hl1 feeling.
It reminded me of Residue Processing and of Surface Tension. FOR FUCKS SAKE, even Duke made a joke about that area needing a "crowbar"

Posted Image

Posted Image

Out of everything he said--the Ego meter needs to go. Duke doesn't regen health. He goes to dance clubs, gets medikits and atomic health. The Ego meter makes the game FAR too easy.

User is offline   Alithinos 

No it's not that Haloish. But it didn't fell too Dukish too to me.

Duke was this:

1) Complex large levels with lots of alternate routes,shortcuts and secrets.

2) Freedom in movement. Duke would outran all enemies and he would jump on the second floor from the ground. He would get to places higher,and further.

3) The right gun for the right job. You could find which gun is better to use on which enemy

4) Lots of enemies.

5) Huge amounts of interactive objects.

Now I don't know how is the rest of the game,but in this demo:

1) Linear short levels without secret rooms at all

2) Movement is so constrained! Duke moves slower,jumps lower,reaches in less places,and gets tired quickly.

3) Except from enemies that won't die without shooting them with a specific weapon (like the dropship) for everything else there is RAILGUN.
It kills everything fast and easy. Don't even bother picking up other weapons.

4) Less enemies

5) Except from the things in the first level,there weren't many interactive things in the desert stage. Rolling a cart and picking up barrels shouldn't excite anoyone, almost all FPS games does that. Lots of things can't be broken. There are actually LESS interactive objects in every stage than they where in DN3D.

• The Sarien Encounter

My goodness, some of you people have a very narrow view of games. Are you judging the game solely based on how it resembles other games? Or how you can shoot and melee your weapon like in other games? That's not what defines one game from another. What do you want? Duke to shoot a gun by pulling the trigger with his toenails and meleeing somebody by throwing tufts of his hair at them? Would that make it unique enough for you?

Most 3D games have open level designs with multiple paths. How else are you going to design and outdoor area? These arguments make no sense at all. I've played Halo and Call of Duty and the DNF demo feels nothing like either of them. COD makes me mad every time I play it and it so lifeless and boring with a short hallway between areas where you have to duck behind cover and kill all the enemies before moving on through another short hallway to the next duck-and-cover arena. DNF felt nothing like that. It was freedom. And Halo? That game was just one boring battle arena after another. DNF breaks the game up with exploratory areas and puzzles/platforming. It's truly a joy to play.

And no, Alithinos, Duke3D was that. Duke has been many things. DNF is something new for Duke. Stop looking for the same old game.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 03 June 2011 - 12:41 PM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostAlithinos, on 03 June 2011 - 12:35 PM, said:

No it's not that Haloish. But it didn't fell too Dukish too to me.

Now I don't know how is the rest of the game,but in this demo:

1) Linear short levels without secret rooms at all

2) Movement is so constrained! Duke moves slower,jumps lower,reaches in less places,and gets tired quickly.

3) Except from enemies that won't die without shooting them with a specific weapon (like the dropship) for everything else there is RAILGUN.
It kills everything fast and easy. Don't even bother picking up other weapons.

4) Less enemies

5) Except from the things in the first level,there weren't many interactive things in the desert stage. Rolling a cart and picking up barrels shouldn't excite anoyone, almost all FPS games does that. Lots of things can't be broken. There are actually LESS interactive objects in every stage than they where in DN3D.

1. It's a demo, of course it's gonna be short and linear.
2. Now Duke is more realistic, and not some bouncing ball or something. Besides, egt the roids and jetpack and you can move around all you want.
3. Railgun is going to be ammo limited in-game and rare, thus making it more balanced. Also of COURSE some enemies need certain weapons. This IMO is more realistic and if you remember in DN3D the trashcans and wall sections could only be blown up/destroyed with certain weapons as well. Yes those are objects/scenery and not enemies but still.
4. Again, demo....it's meant to be this way.
5. The demo won't show all interaction added since the game was fully finished since it's a demo, and mostly an old one at that.

• The Sarien Encounter

Now see, if those people who complain about the 2-weapon limit got their wish for a weapon wheel then you would be able to carry the railgun everywhere with you but you can't so it's balanced.

User is offline   Engel220 

The first level was basically to get the player accustomed of fighting bosses and to give them a small slice of interactivity, a smidge of comedy, and a flashback to 3D to basically remind people that it's a sequel. The second level is where things start to pick up with regards to a more 'Common' or 'Frequent' Duke combat situation. To get to the mine you have to beat the dropship, which is no easy feat (Took me two tries, but I was a wimp and was playing on Piece of Cake so I could enjoy the demo at my own pace), and then you have to work out how to get to the gas and get out (Which is easy, but for the first playrthough it can take a little while). This game does make you work to move on, it makes you think and, although I haven't yet experienced the new bosses in their environments, it will make you think about how to defeat the bigger opponents who look like a damn tough challenge given the way that character models can be sized more realistically this time around (The Alien Queen being a good example).

In short, the demo was made the way it was to give people a taste of what's to come and to also show them the various aspects of gameplay that Duke games are known for (Epic boss battles, large maps with secrets and puzzles, enemies that make you work a bit harder and feel happier when you crush them and insane weaponry).

This post has been edited by Engel220: 03 June 2011 - 12:57 PM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostEngel220, on 03 June 2011 - 12:54 PM, said:

The first level was basically to get the player accustomed of fighting bosses and to give them a small slice of interactivity, a smidge of comedy, and a flashback to 3D to basically remind people that it's a sequel. The second level is where things start to pick up with regards to a more 'Common' or 'Frequent' Duke combat situation. To get to the mine you have to beat the dropship, which is no easy feat (Took me two tries, but I was a wimp and was playing on Piece of Cake so I could enjoy the demo at my own pace), and then you have to work out how to get to the gas and get out (Which is easy, but for the first playrthough it can take a little while). This game does make you work to move on, it makes you think and, although I haven't yet experienced the new bosses in their environments, it will make you think about how to defeat the bigger opponents who look like a damn tough challenge given the way that character models can be sized more realistically this time around (The Alien Queen being a good example).

In short, the demo was made the way it was to give people a taste of what's to come and to also show them the various aspects of gameplay that Duke games are known for (Epic boss battles, large maps with secrets and puzzles, enemies that make you work a bit harder and feel happier when you crush them and insane weaponry).

Heck, i'd still hit it.......

View PostMrBlackCat, on 03 June 2011 - 12:12 PM, said:

BTW, I never played Halo or have even watched it played I don't think. I am not a modern gamer. I just crawled out from under my rock to get Duke Nukem Forever.

MrBlackCat

Dude you just made your point fucking pointless.. WAY TO GO! If anything this makes you sound like a TROLL!
I played the demo and I will play the final version of duke nukem forever. So please shut the fuck up.. thank you.

This post has been edited by muskydragon: 03 June 2011 - 02:21 PM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View Postmuskydragon, on 03 June 2011 - 02:18 PM, said:

Dude you just made your point fucking pointless.. WAY TO GO! If anything this makes you sound like a TROLL!
I played the demo and I will play the final version of duke nukem forever. So please shut the fuck up.. thank you.

Why don't you stop name calling and acting like a two year old and maybe your rep would go up a bit...... :(

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View Postmuskydragon, on 03 June 2011 - 12:00 PM, said:

Even the little missions where you are forced to shoot down a certain craft.. they even leave out the death animation and magically the ship appears dead on the ground!

This was my biggest disappointment with the demo. That ship has no death animation. :(

But it was still a lot of fun even if it was a short demo.

The Vegas demo I played was so much better! B)

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I think it's unlikely you can rent this. You will have to bind it to your Steam account. And as you know, you cannot sell your Steam account. :(

Those who want to play Duke Nukem Forever have already pre-ordered it years ago, and they won't care so much about how old the graphics look, how old-fashined it plays or how linear the levels are. They want more Duke, and that's what they will get. Of course, it will be a game which you will either totally love or hate. Love it for its retro style, its consequent orientation on fast-paced, straight-forward gameplay with maybe flat, but still refreshing humor. Refreshing because not many shooters these days have much humor in them, besides Serious Sam (which is a Duke clone ofc). Hate it for its outdated technology, its lacking level design or whatever.

I am speaking as someone who has pre-ordered the game since December 3, 1998. I am not playing the demo, I don't even need to. Only the full version of the game will be accepted by me. Will I really care about all the flaming and negative criticism surrounding the demo right now? I won't at all. This is the time when you either see the whole thing through the eyes of a true fan or some sceptic guy who just wants to see this fail after all these years. We have known for a long time it won't be the perfect game, at least not technically speaking. It wasn't possible because eventually they had actually to start using the engine they had been constantly switching for quite some time. That was the moment time stopped for the technological development. What we are about to get now is all that was possible without having to start the whole thing from the beginning yet again.

My suggestion is: Don't judge something you haven't played yourself yet. The full version might deliver something you can't see in these few demo levels. Sure, the graphics probably won't get much better, but it's not about that. You actually get the GAME! We should be grateful for that. Seems to be a minimalistic point of view, but I can settle for that. I just want something new with Duke in it, after all these years. Most of you around here know what I mean, and those will look forward to the end of next week just as I am.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 03 June 2011 - 11:44 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

You know what Steam should start? A rent option where you can pay less to rent the game for a few days and then the game gets locked from your account again. That would be sweet. They already sort of do it already with their random free-to-play moments on various titles.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 03 June 2011 - 03:50 PM

View PostYatta, on 03 June 2011 - 03:03 PM, said:

This was my biggest disappointment with the demo. That ship has no death animation. :(

But it was still a lot of fun even if it was a short demo.

The Vegas demo I played was so much better! B)

Best evidence that this is an old build ever.
Quit the ranting, here's the evidence.

I already played 6-7 hours on a 30 minute demo, just to find the secrets and to hear more of the one-liners.
Also, Duke's penthouse is pretty cool.

User is offline   WedgeBob 

That's all right, tho...just to show Randy Pitchford and George Broussard, and everybody else that I care, even tho the demo might have been a little blegh, I won't back out of my preorder...at least not now.

User is offline   Raziel 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 03 June 2011 - 12:05 PM, said:

I did try to tell everyone that the two weapon limit is not actually problem and that it works quite well... I don't think people will get it until they actually play it, weapons are plentiful, and you get the right weapons at the right time.

Regarding the size of the mine, I wouldn't get my hopes up dude, reworking a level is a very complex task these days, I don't think they would have shortened it for the demo, I think that mine is pretty much what it is. It is of course possible that the level might contain more of these mine segments though.

I'm a little disappointed that they pretty much just gave us the PAX demo (which I've already played to death), but it's good to see they tweaked the truck's controls, I found it very hard to handle at PAX, the truck was all over the place, the physics felt really off and I was pretty sure it wasn't just me.

I think it'll be good, looking forward to my birthday on Friday (when the game is released as well).

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostRaziel, on 03 June 2011 - 06:20 PM, said:

I think it'll be good, looking forward to my birthday on Friday (when the game is released as well).

Happy upcoming Dukeday then. :( :( B)

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm just saying, maybe the mine section was reworked to be smaller in the demo than it actually is in single player. Then again, maybe not. It's a small qualm.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 03 June 2011 - 06:23 PM, said:

I'm just saying, maybe the mine section was reworked to be smaller in the demo than it actually is in single player. Then again, maybe not. It's a small qualm.

I don't think so. Just looking at the level I can tell where you end up going after the current section. It's a complete, but tiny part of this part of the game.

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

View Postmuskydragon, on 03 June 2011 - 02:18 PM, said:

Hmmm... well really I was just explaining WHY I could not comment about your posts content, just that you presented it like a dick. So my point was not invalid, but admittedly off topic. (obviously)

Sorry I could not post on your assessment... so I just posted on your delivery. I wasn't going to post at all, but your delivery was SO abrasive, I just commented on that instead.
I have learned that no matter how "right" I might think I am about something, no one will listen or care what your message is if you come across like a pee-pee head. For that reason I really try hard to be respectful of as many types of people here as I can, when I state my views.

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 03 June 2011 - 08:45 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostAlithinos, on 03 June 2011 - 12:35 PM, said:

Come on now, Duke has aged 12 years, do you honestly expect someone to keep all their former strength and athleticism in all that time? B)

When you think about it, in Duke Nukem 1 & 2, Duke would do flips mid jump, flips! Yet in Duke 3D he never did a single flip (which is odd since now that I think about it, DN 3D took place directly after Duke 2 :()

This post has been edited by Micky C: 03 June 2011 - 09:08 PM

User is offline   ferran275 

View Postmuskydragon, on 03 June 2011 - 12:00 PM, said:

*bullshit*

First of all, I hate you, second of all, GTFO, and third of all, I will be spending NINETY AMERICAN DOLLARS ON THIS GAME, might even buy it multiple times to make up for idiots like you

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options