Duke4.net Forums: My take on the DNF demo. - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My take on the DNF demo.

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

Perhaps you should stop dodging the question I posed in my first reply.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 03 June 2011 - 02:38 PM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMad Max RW, on 03 June 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

Perhaps you should stop dodging the question I posed in my first reply.

I answered them, oh spiteful lowerer of rep. Go back and look.

User is offline   greyXstar 

View PostMYHOUSE.MAP, on 03 June 2011 - 12:59 AM, said:

I've heard the console versions (at least the X360 version) suck

I can safely say that's not true. There are two performance issues on the 360: LONG load times, and a small amount of textures that don't always load right away upon respawn. I'm guessing these are both due to the fact that this is a demo that probably could've been released in April. Other than that, you'd have to get REALLY nitpicky to say the demo sucks. It looks great, plays great, and most importantly it's FUN!! It's pure Duke but on a grander scale, which is just what I hoped it would be.

My biggest gripe is the fact that Randy said this demo would be different than the PAX one, and it's really not. It's more polished and has the mine puzzle at the end, but I thought I remembered him saying this would be all-new content. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, it kinda begs the question, since this basically the PAX demo with more polish, why release it so close to the official launch?

View PostDN4EVR, on 03 June 2011 - 02:39 PM, said:

I answered them, oh spiteful lowerer of rep. Go back and look.

You mean to this?:

Who in their right mind will pay $50-$60 or more for this?

Way to go. Instead of answering you go right into full defensive mode. I asked a serious question to everybody and you act like a baby focusing on my use of the word "apologist". Typical blind fanboy tactic.

Oh, and it was bullshit you're shoveling. In case I really had to point that out for you.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 03 June 2011 - 02:44 PM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMad Max RW, on 03 June 2011 - 02:42 PM, said:

You mean to this?:

Way to go. Instead of answering you go right into full defensive mode.

I answered it fairly, I think....considering it was a loaded question meant to provoke emotions.

As I said: It's a AAA title even if it doesn't have amazing graphics or has features you don't like in it, and many will understand this and not be so nitpicky and buy it....because they actually like to have fun and not find every fault in something.

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMad Max RW, on 03 June 2011 - 02:42 PM, said:

I asked a serious question to everybody and you act like a baby focusing on my use of the word "apologist". Typical blind fanboy tactic.
Bullshit, when using words like apologist in such a manner & with words like blind fanboy it's only for one reason: To evoke defensive emotional responses in the opposition.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostMad Max RW, on 03 June 2011 - 02:22 PM, said:

Here's where the apologists' arguments fall apart: The game isn't a AAA title. That's obvious to everybody. Then why are we expected to pay AAA prices? Who in their right mind will pay $50-$60 or more for this?

Note I said "right mind". That immediately rules out blind fanboys who don't know any better. I love Duke and grew up with him on the original sidescrollers and Duke 3d. But by today's standards (or even standards from almost 10 years ago) this is bargain bin quality stuff. I'm not paying top dollar for something so cheap. And the vast majority of consumers think the same way. What do you think that's going to do for the game long term? In the end the fans get screwed the most.

It'd be absolutely ridiculous to charge less than full price for DNF.

The sub par graphics is only a tiny factor out of many more that prove it isn't a AAA title worthy of AAA prices. If it was priced what it was worth I wouldn't complain. The fact is this isn't worth $50+ except maybe to those desperate for more Duke. That's the point I'm making. Fans should be more pissed off. If the game flops hard (and it's trending that way) you will be when support is dropped and no expansions come along.

Bullshit, when using words like apologist in such a manner & with words like blind fanboy it's only for one reason: To evoke defensive emotional responses in the opposition.

I would say I'm sorry for offending your fragile sensibilities, but I'm not into that whole politically correct nonsense.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 03 June 2011 - 02:52 PM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMad Max RW, on 03 June 2011 - 02:49 PM, said:

The sub par graphics is only a tiny factor out of many more that prove it isn't a AAA title worthy of AAA prices. If it was priced what it was worth I wouldn't complain. The fact is this isn't worth $50+ except maybe to those desperate for more Duke. That's the point I'm making. Fans should be more pissed off. If the game flops hard (and it's trending that way) you will be when support is dropped and no expansions come along.

Thing is you don't certify a game as AAA....that's up to the people who do....and if you don't want to pay full price then wait for a sale and stop whining,

Also there is an expansion/dlc...Duke's Big Package.....and it's coming same day as release, for free to FAC members.

View PostDN4EVR, on 03 June 2011 - 02:51 PM, said:

Also there is an expansion/dlc...Duke's Big Package.....and it's coming same day as release, for free to FAC members.

Haha, then you really are new to how things work, aren't ya? It's called nickel and diming. Wait 6 months and then if some substantial DLC is in the works your argument might be valid. Pre-release hype doesn't count. It's laughable. The sign of a company desperate for preorders.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 03 June 2011 - 02:56 PM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMad Max RW, on 03 June 2011 - 02:54 PM, said:

Haha, then you really are new to how things work, aren't ya? It's called nickel and diming. Wait 6 months and then if some substantial DLC is in the works your argument might be valid. Pre-release hype doesn't count. It's laughable. The sign of a company desperate for preorders.

I know what nickel and diming is....and frankly I don't care. If the dlc is worth what it says it is IMO then i'll buy it, if not then I won't......and that was more to illustrate that there is dlc in the works already than to show or prove anything else.

View PostDN4EVR, on 03 June 2011 - 02:59 PM, said:

I know what nickel and diming is....and frankly I don't care. If the dlc is worth what it says it is IMO then i'll buy it, if not then I won't......and that was more to illustrate that there is dlc in the works already than to show or prove anything else.

Don't look at this from a different point of view! Everybody must look at it from one angle!

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMYHOUSE.MAP, on 03 June 2011 - 03:11 PM, said:

Don't look at this from a different point of view! Everybody must look at it from one angle!

OMG...you're right! *slaps forehead* We must all think as one or else the commie rebel scum wins! *salutes*

:(

(But seriously, I love hearing people complain about nickel and diming, even if a company isn't doing it for a particular game but rather selling moderately priced fair DLC...........it makes me laugh to think they complain almost as if the company is FORCING them to buy it to enjoy the game, and that without it the game is meaningless.)

This post has been edited by DN4EVR: 03 June 2011 - 03:20 PM

View PostDN4EVR, on 03 June 2011 - 03:19 PM, said:

(But seriously, I love hearing people complain about nickel and diming, even if a company isn't doing it for a particular game but rather selling moderately priced fair DLC...........it makes me laugh to think they complain almost as if the company is FORCING them to buy it to enjoy the game, and that without it the game is meaningless.)

That's a whole other topic for another time. The DLC you previously mentioned is something entirely different. It's only purpose is to drive up pre-orders and squeeze out a few more Borderlands GOTY purchases.

On the other hand we have the Borderlands DLC to look at. For the most part Gearbox did a great job. The initial game sold well enough to warrant such great long term support. What they're doing with DNF now screams marketing desperation at its worst. It's almost like promising a sequel before the first game comes out.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 03 June 2011 - 04:09 PM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMad Max RW, on 03 June 2011 - 04:07 PM, said:

That's a whole other topic for another time. The DLC you previously mentioned is something entirely different. It's only purpose is to drive up pre-orders and squeeze out a few more Borderlands GOTY purchases.

You can get the DLC without buying Borderlands....I got it with the Balls of Steel Edition......also I don't care WHY they made it. If it is good then I will judge it on that not the company's motives behind it.

Yes, and you had to pre-order that. As I said in the very post you quoted. The point is to get those last stragglers to follow in line and get their pre-orders in before it drops. The name of game is to sell as many copies on day one as possible. Why would they have to use that tactic if they felt the game was good enough on its own merits?

It's only purpose is to drive up pre-orders and squeeze out a few more Borderlands GOTY purchases.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 03 June 2011 - 04:22 PM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMad Max RW, on 03 June 2011 - 04:19 PM, said:

Yes, and you had to pre-order that. As I said in the very post you quoted. The point is to get those last stragglers to follow in line and get their pre-orders in before the game drops. The name of game is to sell as many copies on day one as possible.

Again I said I don't care what their motives are if the game is good in my eyes while/after playing. As long as it's good or better then i'm happy. Plus most people who are fans would've pre--ordered anyways, extra DLC or no...think of it as icing on the cake.

This post has been edited by DN4EVR: 03 June 2011 - 04:22 PM

View PostDN4EVR, on 03 June 2011 - 04:21 PM, said:

Again I said I don't care what their motives are if the game is good in my eyes while/after playing. As long as it's good or better then i'm happy. Plus most people who are fans would've pre--ordered anyways, extra DLC or no...think of it as icing on the cake.

You really believe it's some sort of reward for people who pre-ordered? God I wish I could live in that world. I wish we all could. But it's not reality.

You're either going to do one of two things. When the game comes out you will defend it for a while, but some time will pass and you'll come to the realization of how bad everything turned out or it's just plain not very good. It'll be a gradual change because the last thing you want to do is sound like a flip-flopper. The other thing you might do is become DNF's biggest champion, refusing to hear anything other than glowingly positive words for the game you will go to your grave defending.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 03 June 2011 - 04:28 PM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMad Max RW, on 03 June 2011 - 04:28 PM, said:

You really believe it's some sort of reward for people who pre-ordered? God I wish I could live in that world. I wish we all could. But it's not reality.

You're either going to do one of two things. When the game comes out you will defend it for a while, but some time will pass and you'll come to the realization of how bad everything turned out or it's just plain not very good. It'll be a gradual change because the last thing you want to do is sound like a flip-flopper. The other thing you might do is become DNF's biggest champion, refusing to hear anything other than glowingly positive words for the game you will go to your grave defending.

Again I could care less of their motives...to ME and those who already pre-ordered it is a reward of sorts....regardless of what you think.

If it's bad when full game comes out i'll write about it as so....I won't hide it. But you keep basing your views on a demo which is inane in and of itself. Silly at best, foolish at worst.

P.S. People who LIKE something will admit it, and often alot....and will do their best to disspell unfounded opinions like yours. That is just what fans do. I am not blindly defending it but rather showing how foolish it is to base one's purchasing decisions on an unifinished prototype/demo.

View PostDN4EVR, on 03 June 2011 - 04:32 PM, said:

Again I could care less of their motives...to ME and those who already pre-ordered it is a reward of sorts....regardless of what you think.

If it's bad when full game comes out i'll write about it as so....I won't hide it. But you keep basing your views on a demo which is inane in and of itself. Silly at best, foolish at worst.

P.S. People who LIKE something will admit it, and often alot....and will do their best to disspell unfounded opinions like yours. That is just what fans do. I am not blindly defending it but rather showing how foolish it is to base one's purchasing decisions on an unifinished prototype/demo.

You obviously have no idea about the purpose of a demo. You're just using another typical and cliched tactic to defend a bad game. A demo comes out, sucks ass, and you reach for that same old line of "oh but it's unfinished!" or "it's an old build!" with no proof whatsoever. Can you show me a single instance where an official demo didn't reflect the final product? I mean a night and day difference. This is like AvP3 all over again. They released a horrible demo and people raged. Yet we still had the same defenders using your old line. Then the game came out, it was a total mess, and support is dropped 6 months later.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 03 June 2011 - 04:39 PM

My feelings on the demo. Keep in mind that the demo is basically confirmed to be an outdated build, so some (or many) of these complaints may not apply to the full game.

The Good: The game is fucking fun. You can go "Blah blah blah 2-weapon system and noobgenerating health suck ass and are Un-Duke" all you want, but I had just as much (And sometimes more) fun playing this demo as I had playing DN3D. The weapons all feel satisfying, especially the shotgun. The controls feel tight, the aiming smooth once you customize it a bit. I was laughing so hard at some of Duke's lines that it wasn't even funny. Torturing corpses alone is better than Call of Duty. I liked being able to punch Demon Spiders With Ballsack Backs From off my face. The executions make the Mighty Boot feel alot more mighty, and they saved me from dieing more than once. The game also felt very fair difficulty wise. The monster truck controls were iffy at first, but are pretty fun once you get the hang of them.

The powerups kick major amounts of ass. I don't really see what people mean when the beer effect is overdone, though that might be because I don't have motion blur on. The HoloDuke led to many-a-lols, especially when the Shrink ray was involved. Speaking of, the ability to shrink multiple enemies with one shrink blast in incredible. Railgun in general is amazing. RPG is good gibbing fun. The pistol is...functional if a bit bland. I do like how I can pick up the Pig-cop's black pistol, though. It's a nice touch. Almost everything about the "Duke Lives" level is just fantastic. Octa-babies are adorably fragile to explosives and size 13 boots. While some people complain about the length, I feel it was just long enough. Demos are short anyway.

Also, being able to plant trip mine onto enemies was a stroke of genius. As was the
Spoiler
I also like the attention to detail on the HUD, especially with the ammo manager.

The Bad: "GASP GASP GASP GASP...gasssp". also "Hnng. Hnng. Hnng. Hnng.". The Ripper could also do with some better firing animations (Though that might be my video card talking). Also, thanks for the trip mines, Gearbox. If only you gave them to me in a section where I wouldn't almost die actually setting them out. Also, why are those EDF soldiers in the locker room frozen in time? The scripting also felt a bit weird in that level, where two aliens on the other end of the crashed and broken hall randomly die despite them having killed the EDF soldiers. The crushing animation for small or shrunken enemies is disappointing.

The Worst Part: WHY CAN'T I THROW MY POOP ON THE WHITEBOARD?!

The Best Part: *Steps on shrunk pig cop who was messing up my ride* Duke: "Oops".

Overall: There's far more good than bad in here. I'm more excited for the game than I was beforehand.

This post has been edited by BraveTriforcer: 03 June 2011 - 05:13 PM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMad Max RW, on 03 June 2011 - 04:38 PM, said:

You obviously have no idea about the purpose of a demo. You're just using another typical and cliched tactic to defend a bad game. A demo comes out, sucks ass, and you reach for that same old line of "oh but it's unfinished!" or "it's an old build!" with no proof whatsoever. Can you show me a single instance where an official demo didn't reflect the final product? I mean a night and day difference. This is like AvP3 all over again. They released a horrible demo and people raged. Yet we still had the same defenders using your old line. Then the game came out, it was a total mess, and support is dropped 6 months later.

Um, the demo is bad...we haven't seen the full game yet...oh and btw i'll defend whatever I damn well want to....got a problem with it?

I said before if the full game sucks I will criticise it as you have but not until I see what's what first with the full game.

View PostDN4EVR, on 03 June 2011 - 05:01 PM, said:

Um, the demo is bad...we haven't seen the full game yet...oh and btw i'll defend whatever I damn well want to....got a problem with it?

I said before if the full game sucks I will criticise it as you have but not until I see what's what first with the full game.

You can defend it all you want and I'm sure you probably will. If you write a review of the game and I think it's totally off the mark, hey, those are your opinions and I'm fine with that. I'm not going to troll your review. Never have for other games and never will. But people with negative things to say are just as valid. Especially when the demo is concerned. I think the problem here is people are getting way too emotional.

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMad Max RW, on 03 June 2011 - 05:05 PM, said:

You can defend it all you want and I'm sure you probably will. If you write a review of the game and I think it's totally off the mark, hey, those are your opinions and I'm fine with that. I'm not going to troll your review. Never have for other games and never will. But people with negative things to say are just as valid. Especially when the demo is concerned. I think the problem here is people are getting way too emotional.

No the problem here is you're basing your views on a demo, and not the full game...would you base your decisions about a car based on seeing just the frame?

As I said I will drop "defending" the game if it's bad...so far it doesn't seem bad to me. And again you and a few others haven't been voicing criticisms mainly but also bashing those who dispute them, which is childish in and of itself. I have mainly been just advocating people to check out the full game, even by gameplay videos and reviews on honest review sites, before making judgements.

I think the problem here is people are getting way too emotional.

I'm not emotional! Your emotional! Emotions are for pussies, and Duke withe 2-guns makes him a pussy, and that's why he has emotions now balrg-ablard.

View PostBraveTriforcer, on 03 June 2011 - 04:54 PM, said:

My feelings on the demo. Keep in mind that the demo is basically confirmed to be an outdated build, so some (or many) of these complaints may not apply to the full game.

The Good: The game is fucking fun. You can go "Blah blah blah 2-weapon system and noobgenerating health suck ass and are Un-Duke" all you want, but I had just as much (And sometimes more) fun playing this demo as I had playing DN3D. The weapons all feel satisfying, especially the shotgun. The controls feel tight, the aiming smooth once you customize it a bit. I was laughing so hard at some of Duke's lines that it wasn't even funny. Torturing corpses alone is better than Call of Duty. I liked being able to punch Demon Spiders With Ballsack Backs From off my face. The executions make the Mighty Boot feel alot more mighty, and they saved me from dieing more than once. The game also felt very fair difficulty wise. The monster truck controls were iffy at first, but are pretty fun once you get the hang of them.

The powerups kick major amounts of ass. I don't really see what people mean when the beer effect is overdone, though that might be because I don't have motion blur on. The HoloDuke led to many-a-lols, especially when the Shrink ray was involved. Speaking of, the ability to shrink multiple enemies with one shrink blast in incredible. Railgun in general is amazing. RPG is good gibbing fun. The pistol is...functional if a bit bland. I do like how I can pick up the Pig-cop's black pistol, though. It's a nice touch. Almost everything about the "Duke Lives" level is just fantastic. Octa-babies are adorably fragile to explosives and size 13 boots. While some people complain about the length, I feel it was just long enough. Demos are short anyway.

Also, being able to plant trip mine onto enemies was a stroke of genius. As was the
Spoiler
I also like the attention to detail on the HUD, especially with the ammo manager.

The Bad: "GASP GASP GASP GASP...gasssp". also "Hnng. Hnng. Hnng. Hnng.". The Ripper could also do with some better firing animations (Though that might be my video card talking). Also, thanks for the trip mines, Gearbox. If only you gave them to me in a section where I wouldn't almost die actually setting them out. Also, why are those EDF soldiers in the locker room frozen in time? The scripting also felt a bit weird in that level, where two aliens on the other end of the crashed and broken hall randomly die despite them having killed the EDF soldiers. The crushing animation for small or shrunken enemies is disappointing.

The Worst Part: WHY CAN'T I THROW MY POOP ON THE WHITEBOARD?!

The Best Part: *Steps on shrunk pig cop who was messing up my ride* Duke: "Oops".

Overall: There's far more bad than good in here. I'm more excited for the game than I was beforehand.

There's far more bad than good in here. don;t you mean more good than bad, otherwise how would you be more excited than before hand

This post has been edited by duke4everman: 03 June 2011 - 05:13 PM

View PostDN4EVR, on 03 June 2011 - 05:08 PM, said:

No the problem here is you're basing your views on a demo, and not the full game...would you base your decisions about a car based on seeing just the frame?

Your analogy is the equivalent of basing a decision on a screenshot. In the case of a game demo if you want to be a bit more accurate your analogy would have been "would you base your decisions about a car based on a test drive?" And my answer to that is yes. Yes I would and so does everybody else in the world who ever bought a car.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 03 June 2011 - 05:13 PM

View Postduke4everman, on 03 June 2011 - 05:11 PM, said:

There's far more bad than good in here. don;t you mean more good than bad, otherwise how would you be excited than before hand

Woopsy. My good. I changed it to make more sense now.

BTW, i have some proof that it is an old build.
It's much older than march, that's for sure.

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMad Max RW, on 03 June 2011 - 05:12 PM, said:

Your analogy is the equivalent of basing a decision on a screenshot. In the case of a game demo if you want to be a bit more accurate your analogy would have been "would you base your decisions about a car based on a test drive?" And my answer to that is yes. Yes I would and so does everybody else in the world who ever bought a car.

What if the test drive was in an outdated model of the same car and you had to drive around with a live hyena in the back? That would be more fitting I think to describe this demo for some here.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options