Duke4.net Forums: Windows 8 and my first opinion about it's interface. - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows 8 and my first opinion about it's interface.

I've just seen the first presentations of windows 8's "new" UI and this was my reaction to it.
Spoiler

If they seriously expect me to replace windows 7 with a windows that has replaced it's interface with a fucking full screen media center app, they have got to be fucking crazy and out of their fucking skulls more than they were when they made vista.
If they go along with this to the very end, I predict windows 8 failing more than windows vista did.
Now I've been a windows user all of my life and I do believe windows 7 to be a vast improvement from windows vista, but windows 8 is just too fucking consolized for me to ever touch it.

What are your opinions about it?

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 02 June 2011 - 03:46 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

I think it's OK. He's just showing their "touch app" seemless integration into 8. At 3:19 you can see your familiar Windows interface. He said that W8 will be crossplatform on various devices many of which, I suspect, will be touch based.

This post has been edited by Helel: 02 June 2011 - 04:01 AM

View PostHelel, on 02 June 2011 - 03:59 AM, said:

I think it's OK. He's just showing their "touch app" seemless integration into 8. At 3:19 you can see your familiar Windows interface. He said that W8 will be crossplatform on various devices many of which, I suspect, will be touch based.

Man, I've seen other official videos where they say that what you see there is going to replace the startbar and the windows.
I've seen the windows 7 interface there too at one point but I fear that's going to be removed when they are done with this and release it.
In any case, I certainly do NOT want to use that slipstreamed media center piece of shit interface.
There have been third party apps for windows and firefox that do exactly that kind of interface for people that really want it and I am one of those many people that DON'T!

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

Well, to be fair, everyone has been trying to kill the mouse for almost a decade now. Apple tried to (and pretty much did) kill the floppy when they removed support for it (by removing the drive itself, you could still get an external).

The thing is that when the floppy was phased out, USB and flash were readily accessible and people were using it. In this case where you have companies pushing the touch screen interface, the mouse and keyboard work fine and in many cases, the touch screen does not improve upon them. There is also still a decent chunk of people who couldn't care less for touch screens so the sort of forcing the touch screen isn't going to work.

This post has been edited by Mr.Flibble: 02 June 2011 - 05:15 AM

View PostMr.Flibble, on 02 June 2011 - 05:14 AM, said:

There is also still a decent chunk of people who couldn't care less for touch screens so the sort of forcing the touch screen isn't going to work.

I am one of those people.
I hate touch screen in everything, including in mobile phones.

I will stick with windows 7, this looks like complete utter shit. DX12 added (most likely)? keep your fucking dx12.

This post has been edited by GothicBunny: 02 June 2011 - 06:30 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMr.Flibble, on 02 June 2011 - 05:14 AM, said:

Apple tried to (and pretty much did) kill the floppy when they removed support for it (by removing the drive itself, you could still get an external).

Floppy needed the push to get killed? That's bullshit. No one in their right mind would want to use floppies when you can have way more reliable usb flash drives. And the size... There were floppies with 100MB of course but they weren't broadly used. Apple didn't kill floppies, future did.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

Before USB flash was common place, Apple pulled the floppy drive. They sped along the process of people moving from floppy to flash. Even while I was in high school people didn't have flash drives but around that time, new Macs didn't have floppy drives. Floppy was phased out as flash was phased in. In this case, if Windows 8 really ends up demanding touch screen, it will feel forced.

Concerning DirectX12...who cares? As far as gaming is concerned, we are still stuck in DX9 because of the consoles.

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

Looks good, for tablets.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Has anyone else read up on the crazy amount of versions Windows 8 will have?

Intel claimed there would be four for ARM, even though Microsoft denies it.

Wait, ARM? Yep, you heard that right. Microsoft wants Windows 8 to run on both shitty tablets and real x64 machines.

So now you will have two different architectures running an OS with the same name and multiple different interfaces. Now, this was okay when Linux distros could be x86 or PowerPC, because virgins used that shit. But the customer now has to make the distinction.

If that isn't a recipe for disaster, I don't know what is.

There's a reason iOS and OS X are kept separate.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostHelel, on 02 June 2011 - 06:44 AM, said:

Floppy needed the push to get killed? That's bullshit..

No, it did, and Steve Jobs did it.

Guest_refluX1k_*

Why would you even care about Windows 8? Windows 7 is great, definitely worthy of being Windows XP's successor. Just keep using 7 then if you're that concerned. Besides, Windows 7 will be all you need for gaming for years to come, just like XP because it can STILL run the most modern games and applications (if you know how to hack it to use DX11 that is.)

This post has been edited by refluX1k: 02 June 2011 - 04:11 PM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

I can't believe technology is supposedly accelerating in such a way that even mouses and keyboards will seem like antique tools for old fogies, and I haven't even hit my 30s yet. This depresses me. I'm too used to the Windows desktop interface to even consider switching to something as atrocious as this.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostTea Monster, on 02 June 2011 - 03:36 PM, said:

No, it did, and Steve Jobs did it.

I really don't know about that. Here Apple didn't have much of a market when floppies were being phased out so for me it was a natural process when flash drives and cds became more common than floppies.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostrefluX1k, on 02 June 2011 - 04:03 PM, said:

Why would you even care about Windows 8? Windows 7 is great, definitely worthy of being Windows XP's successor. Just keep using 7 then if you're that concerned. Besides, Windows 7 will be all you need for gaming for years to come, just like XP because it can STILL run the most modern games and applications (if you know how to hack it to use DX11 that is.)

Ditto. I won't change what works. Unless Microsoft makes their shit work faster, I'll pass on eight, and see what's for nine. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 03 June 2011 - 02:05 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Tablet hardware and touch-screen monitors aren't even as commercially viable as keyboards and mice. At least flash drives were affordable already when floppies were phased out. Or near it. Touch screen devices are still quite a bit more expensive. And what about FPS's? Are we supposed to migrate to controllers? I don't think so.

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 07 June 2011 - 11:46 AM, said:

Tablet hardware and touch-screen monitors aren't even as commercially viable as keyboards and mice. At least flash drives were affordable already when floppies were phased out. Or near it. Touch screen devices are still quite a bit more expensive. And what about FPS's? Are we supposed to migrate to controllers? I don't think so.

I've always used controllers, but still have so much more uses for mice and keyboards, especially with wireless ones, and will never want a touch-screen monitor. Damn, I like sitting back and relaxing while on my PC. Would hate to have to touch my screen when I'm comfortably leaning back in my fully adjustable tilt/swivel computer chair!

User is offline   Arvis 

I heard you can also use 'classic' interface so no probs, since Windows will now run on tablets and all it will be great imo.

User is offline   Klapher 

Why is microsoft always fucking around the internface. That's so stupid...

User is offline   WedgeBob 

View PostGothicBunny, on 02 June 2011 - 06:30 AM, said:

I will stick with windows 7, this looks like complete utter shit. DX12 added (most likely)? keep your fucking dx12.

Exactly, and I don't exactly see the games industry jumping on board the DX12 bandwagon. Hell, a lot of them don't see anything past DX9.0c as being worthwhile.

User is offline   Kyphros 

Well, i'll try it when it'll be released with a spare hard disk. I'll make my mind at that moment...

User is offline   Sangman 

Not too big a fan of what I have seen from Windows 8 myself, but calling it "consolized" seems pretty odd.

View PostMr.Deviance, on 02 June 2011 - 03:36 AM, said:

I've just seen the first presentations of windows 8's "new" UI and this was my reaction to it.
Spoiler

If they seriously expect me to replace windows 7 with a windows that has replaced it's interface with a fucking full screen media center app, they have got to be fucking crazy and out of their fucking skulls more than they were when they made vista.
If they go along with this to the very end, I predict windows 8 failing more than windows vista did.
Now I've been a windows user all of my life and I do believe windows 7 to be a vast improvement from windows vista, but windows 8 is just too fucking consolized for me to ever touch it.

I don't know why programmers and developers these days think we need to hide as many options and features as possible (like a Mac). Dammit, Office and (every) browser, I like File/Edit/View/Tools.

View PostMr.Deviance, on 02 June 2011 - 05:35 AM, said:

I am one of those people.
I hate touch screen in everything, including in mobile phones.

I would gladly use a touchscreen... when they make one with a completely frictionless surface, that never gets fingerprints or scratches, and is super-accurate and intuitive.

Dear Microsoft: If you want to make a good version of windows, Ask For Feedback!!!
Seriously, any idiot can think of this. If they want people to buy their product, then they need to ask people how to improve it and actually use that feedback.
Heck, make something like Ubuntu's Brainstorm (which is basically a Digg/Reddit for new features). I guarantee we can find stuff for you to change.

(Yes I know they have connect.microsoft.com but they don't seem to respond to feedback, just some bug reports)

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostBrentNewland, on 28 June 2011 - 05:04 PM, said:

Dear Microsoft: If you want to make a good version of windows, Ask For Feedback!!!

Yep. Because they live in the bunker without internet and can't read comments about their videos etc. They also don't invite test groups to try new interface and other features.

This post has been edited by Helel: 28 June 2011 - 08:12 PM

User is offline   Martin 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 02 June 2011 - 03:36 AM, said:

Blah blah blah..

And here, we see the elite PC gamer has found his habitat threatened. On the cusp of extinction, this rare mammal lashes out trying to defend his home and way of life. Nature is cruel and unforgiving. PC trees die every day, as console weeds consume them. For homo apithogas (elite PC gamer), every bad thing in the world (global warming, war, hunger, poverty) is caused by homo thalamus (console gamer).

Just kidding. However, once again you show your utter contempt for consoles, and how your brain somehow attributes all bad things to them. It's hilarious, and very stupid. Do keep it up! Watching your outrage as the PC gaming space shrinks to nothing is totally priceless. For everything else, there's Master Card. But for hilarity - I have you xx

Long Live Mr. Deviance!

User is offline   WedgeBob 

Hahaha...that was awesome, Martin! Well put. I've always gamed best with a keyboard and mouse. Now Microsoft expects us to go all towards touch screens? Seriously Microsoft? Sorry, but unless I can just click on the start button, click on Steam, and choose my game of choice, and just use my mouse to click, drag, and shoot, and my WASD keys to move my character around, I'm not looking forward to Windows 8 if this is how M$ is going to be.

User is offline   Kathy 

Talk about overreacting...

Now Microsoft expects us to go all towards touch screens?

No, they don't. They expect a better use of touchscreens with Win8 since it'll be on portable devices. They aren't gonna disable keyboard and mouse support.

User is offline   Sangman 

View PostHelel, on 04 July 2011 - 12:04 AM, said:

Talk about overreacting...

No, they don't. They expect a better use of touchscreens with Win8 since it'll be on portable devices. They aren't gonna disable keyboard and mouse support.

Exactly. Windows 8 doesn't interest me much at all, it looks to be pretty much Windows 7 with a few extra features + an optional touchscreen GUI (that will also work with mouse and keyboard) + a new welcome screen kind of deal. Not very interesting, but sheesh people are overreacting. If you choose not to use the touchscreen stuff you'll just a get a re-packaged Windows 7 it looks like.

View PostMartin, on 01 July 2011 - 06:56 PM, said:

And here, we see the elite PC gamer has found his habitat threatened. On the cusp of extinction, this rare mammal lashes out trying to defend his home and way of life. Nature is cruel and unforgiving. PC trees die every day, as console weeds consume them. For homo apithogas (elite PC gamer), every bad thing in the world (global warming, war, hunger, poverty) is caused by homo thalamus (console gamer).

Just kidding. However, once again you show your utter contempt for consoles, and how your brain somehow attributes all bad things to them. It's hilarious, and very stupid. Do keep it up! Watching your outrage as the PC gaming space shrinks to nothing is totally priceless. For everything else, there's Master Card. But for hilarity - I have you xx

Long Live Mr. Deviance!

Well it's been a shitload of months since I made this topic and since then, I've got to install and test the consumer preview version and I like it quite a lot.
It's basically a faster windows 7 with a shitload of improvements and added features + an optional touch screen U.I
That U.I did not get forced down our throats as the only means of operating the system.
So, it turns out that my habitat is not threatened after all.
But I do appreciate your honest attempts at trolling me at the very first occasion when you saw me disappointed by something pc related.
You reminded me yet again how you are the ultimate defender of console weeds as you call them, while I am this elite PC gamer.
I can't argue with you because this is true and it makes me feel very happy every time I get reminded that I'm a pc gamer, instead of being a person which is convinced that unupgradable gaming boxes are better than high end computers.
So good luck with your consoles because I sure as hell won't be buying one any time soon, not as long as my favorite games come on pc and work decently.
The few console exclusives and bad pc ports, are just not enough to make me quit pc gaming.
Ever since the ps3 and 360 have come out 6 years ago, I have played a shitload of games on pc, while constantly maintaining my bad opinion on the new gen of consoles.
If this gen of consoles didn't manage to convince me of their value in 6 years, I doubt anybody else will.
Maybe the next gen of consoles will have something different to tempt me to buy one but I seriously doubt it.
If I will ever get forced to quit pc gaming from one reason or the other, I will sure as hell won't move to console gaming.

Aww and thanks for the long life wishes!
Considering the plethora of great pc games that I own just on steam alone, that I didn't even get to play yet, I will sure as hell need a long life.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 20 April 2012 - 02:17 AM

User is offline   Martin 

Why rephrase a post from an argument we had nearly a year ago? You get a -1.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options