Duke4.net Forums: Hypocrisy, Idiocy, and the new generation - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hypocrisy, Idiocy, and the new generation

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

Many of you know me as part of the new generation, as I'm fifteen. I hate being a part of it. I've spent my life searching the Internet for things and learning. The problem is, whenever I show what I know to the new generation, they'll either write me off as a geek or say that I'm an idiot who doesn't know anything. This year I started high school... What a wonderful experience its been. :angry:

One of the first things that happens is that I brought a butter knife to school, they mistakenly take it as a threat and throw me into this program where you sit there, you get your school work, you finish it, and you stare at the wall the rest of your five hours of the day. Here's where I'm going to point out hypocrisy, this program happens to be in the elementary school, which it has kids who are more susceptible to things. Secondly, this room has microwave, a sink, a toaster, a refrigerator, and among other things it has, it has a damn solid metal butter knife sitting in the room. What about the other kids? I could safely say that at least 50% or maybe even more, they bring sharp pocket knives to school. Why weren't they in that program? Another thing I find out, my old middle school principal, he smoke marijuana, (illegal here) and what the hell do teachers teach in my school? "Don't do drugs!" Just another big flying fuck you, middle finger right at me and other students as well.

Now about idiocy... How about Facebook? Cellphones? Texting? Every one of those seems to be designed to massacre languages with abbreviations and text language. "ROFL! LOL! WTF? FTW! HMU? STFU? JK. TY. wut." One right after another. The worst part of it is, I can understand perfectly what people are saying, and yet when I use the best English I know, people can hardly understand what I'm saying. Whenever I have a question I can't just turn to my fellow students, I can't turn to my teacher, I have to turn to the Internet. If I were to ask about tachyons, electromagnetism, quantum physics, people would have a damn brain hemorrhage trying to wrap their minds around the concept.

I'm part of the new generation that would actually like to do something, and yet I can't because everyone and everything is slowing me down. I'm not excusing myself, I have my own idiocy, I have my own hypocrisy, everyone does, but everyone else's seems to have magnified millions of times over. What hypocrisy, idiocy, or whatever do you want to point out about the new generation?

If the world is about to end, and I manage to assemble a space-going ark... welcome aboard.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Why the hell would you bring a knife to a school?

User is offline   Rellik 

A butter knife. Only slightly more dangerous than a fancy pen.

Yeah, zero tolerance at it's finest. At least you weren't suspended/expelled.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

I once told a school counselor that anything can be a weapon if a person knows how to use it, making rules about weapons kind of moot. She was kind of shocked. Of course, I was partially having fun with her being that I was not exactly volunteering to meet with her.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostRellik, on 01 June 2011 - 07:49 AM, said:

The question I posed not only remains but now that we've established that such a knife is not that dangerous then what is the point of carrying something like that around? I mean, if you wish to use a knife for self defense then that's semi-understandable (but still incredibly stupid in this case) but what's the point of carrying around a knife that's not even good for self defense?

• tile 1018

View PostRellik, on 01 June 2011 - 07:49 AM, said:

Yeah, zero tolerance at it's finest. At least you weren't suspended/expelled.

Technically I was, for the year, that was their way of keeping me off of school grounds, and yet the program is at the elementary school. All because of a BUTTER knife, and what's even more stupid is that they put me in a room with a butter knife in it. X_X. You might as well put a murderer in a jail cell with a gun in it.

• tile 1018

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 01 June 2011 - 08:46 AM, said:

The question I posed not only remains but now that we've established that such a knife is not that dangerous then what is the point of carrying something like that around? I mean, if you wish to use a knife for self defense then that's semi-understandable (but still incredibly stupid in this case) but what's the point of carrying around a knife that's not even good for self defense?

Actually I was using it to cut myself, but that's besides the point.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

In that case they didn't overreact at all. You've only got yourself to blame for the situation and in their position I'd have done the same. Granted, their "treatment" may not make much sense but that's beside the point.

What's the point of cutting yourself with a butter knife?

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

View PostSpirrwell, on 01 June 2011 - 08:49 AM, said:

Actually I was using it to cut myself, but that's besides the point.

Not really. It is highly relevant to your psychological profile. It also further justifies them not letting you carry it around, but they should have addressed the deeper issue rather than just suspending you.

I remember at least one person in my grade school who was not allowed to use scissors for a while. To some extent the zero tolerance policy is preventative but no one is going to admit that at some point you need to address the "why" rather than trying to prevent the "how" at the "when."

• tile 1018

I told them I used it for self defense. I never told them the real reason. The point is that they put me in a room with a damn butter knife in it. Which that room is in an elementary school.

This post has been edited by Spirrwell: 01 June 2011 - 09:15 AM

User is offline   Jeff 

I really wouldn't worry about the butter knife, but I would report your principal for smoking dope.

• tile 1018

View PostJeff, on 01 June 2011 - 09:30 AM, said:

I really wouldn't worry about the butter knife, but I would report your principal for smoking dope.

Heh, I'm the only one who seems to want to do something about it, nobody else really cares. Why can he get away with that and a lot of other people can bring in pocket knifes and get away with it, when I get locked up in a room for exercising my 2nd amendment right, as far as they know?

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

If he smokes marijuana on his own time it should be considered a private affair. It'd be different if he used substances that made him psychotic or something or if he showed up for work drunk.

• tile 1018

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 01 June 2011 - 09:52 AM, said:

If he smokes marijuana on his own time it should be considered a private affair. It'd be different if he used substances that made him psychotic or something or if he showed up for work drunk.

True, but the point is that he's a hypocrite, he's the middle school principal, and he smokes it. Yet in school we're taught that drugs are bad and etc. He's a terrible hypocrite.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

His hypocrisy is merely a result of a system that's unfair. You can't be both a middle-school principal and smoke marijuana even though there should be nothing wrong with that.

Edit: Moreover, it's not hypocrisy to say that kids shouldn't, say, drink alcohol while considering if perfectly appropriate for an adult to do so.

This post has been edited by Mikko_Sandt: 01 June 2011 - 10:06 AM

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 01 June 2011 - 10:04 AM, said:

His hypocrisy is merely a result of a system that's unfair. You can't be both a middle-school principal and smoke marijuana even though there should be nothing wrong with that.

A pot-smoking principal who punishes kids for smoking pot... that is hypocrisy.

This post has been edited by wayskobfssae: 01 June 2011 - 11:29 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostSpirrwell, on 01 June 2011 - 09:34 AM, said:

Heh, I'm the only one who seems to want to do something about it, nobody else really cares.

No. Just because we don't agree with you doesn't mean we don't care. You're not very bright for bringing a butter knife to school, and that's our caring opinion.

Though I agree, I do see hypocrisy and idiocy in the new generation. Why don't you fix your own faults before you judge other people? After you get your own butt busted, the first thing you do is pull out the most outrageous case you know and say your middle school principle did drugs. Why can't you just learn from your mistakes and admit you were wrong? Hypocrisy and idiocy is clearly evident...

I can't even fathom the logic in thinking that a butter knife is practical as a weapon.

It's giving me this vision of, "I'm gonna slit my wrists with a butter knife." *starts cutting* "Any minute now..." *1 week later.. still cutting*

• tile 1018

View PostRadar1013, on 01 June 2011 - 11:30 AM, said:

No. Just because we don't agree with you doesn't mean we don't care. You're not very bright for bringing a butter knife to school, and that's our caring opinion.

Though I agree, I do see hypocrisy and idiocy in the new generation. Why don't you fix your own faults before you judge other people? After you get your own butt busted, the first thing you do is pull out the most outrageous case you know and say your middle school principle did drugs. Why can't you just learn from your mistakes and admit you were wrong? Hypocrisy and idiocy is clearly evident...

View PostSpirrwell, on 31 May 2011 - 11:31 PM, said:

I'm part of the new generation that would actually like to do something, and yet I can't because everyone and everything is slowing me down. I'm not excusing myself, I have my own idiocy, I have my own hypocrisy, everyone does, but everyone else's seems to have magnified millions of times over. What hypocrisy, idiocy, or whatever do you want to point out about the new generation?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

If you cut yourself, especially with a butter knife, ye ain't that smart.

User is offline   Hank 

My nose tells me you are utterly lonely. I suggest to hit the streets and make friends, real friends in flesh and blood. A real conversation does wonders. If you want to exchange your knowledge with peers, go to a library and look for local clubs. Usually at the University, yep, they'll accept a fifteen year old. As for the butter knife, hey, you are intelligent are you not? What will happen to those seeking attention?
Bottom line - no one has exclusivity to growing up. There will be young one's even in 3999 writing about how stupid the grown ups really are.

• tile 1018

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 01 June 2011 - 03:33 PM, said:

If you cut yourself, especially with a butter knife, ye ain't that smart.

I'm smart enough to realize mine and others hypocrisy and idiocy, which is what WOULD cause me to do stuff like that in the first place. I've never cut myself. I brought the knife to cut myself, but I never did do it.

View PostHank, on 01 June 2011 - 03:39 PM, said:

My nose tells me you are utterly lonely. I suggest to hit the streets and make friends, real friends in flesh and blood. A real conversation does wonders. If you want to exchange your knowledge with peers, go to a library and look for local clubs. Usually at the University, yep, they'll accept a fifteen year old. As for the butter knife, hey, you are intelligent are you not? What will happen to those seeking attention?
Bottom line - no one has exclusivity to growing up. There will be young one's even in 3999 writing about how stupid the grown ups really are.

Yes I am lonely, and even university kids can be real idiotic, at least around here. A real conversation means nothing if you don't know how to mean what you say. I didn't mean for this topic to be about me, I meant for it to be about hypocrisy and idiocy, yet this topic has been veered towards me.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

That's retarded, and you could say it just makes you a wuss.

• tile 1018

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 01 June 2011 - 04:36 PM, said:

That's retarded, and you could say it just makes you a wuss.

I would've done it had I not gotten in trouble for bringing the damn thing.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Why don't you cut yourself at home, like most people? And pro-tip: Use a razor.

User is offline   Stabs 

i stabbed a butter knife once

• tile 1018

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 01 June 2011 - 04:39 PM, said:

Why don't you cut yourself at home, like most people? And pro-tip: Use a razor.

The school and the students are the ones that changed me, I wanted everybody to see, that simple.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Ya know what?

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 01 June 2011 - 05:19 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options