Duke4.net Forums: Hypocrisy, Idiocy, and the new generation - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hypocrisy, Idiocy, and the new generation

Hehe, good times spirwell, good times.
When I was your age, my classmates would bring makarov pistols and safari knives to school and nobody said a thing.
I even got held against the wall with a jungle knife in one of the launch breaks and almost got robbed of my money by some older kids from my school.
I wasn't even close to being bullied or being a fat kid in school. I've always been a tough arrogant kid that always had his way in school, so you have to imagine what followed when me and some of my mates tracked down and captured those older kids that held me hostage for 20 mins :blink:
I bet some of them still think of me to this day when they look in the mirror :angry:
So it's an interesting story that remind me of my childhood past.
As for your generation being dumb, I can't agree with you more. I would love to be able to say that you are wrong and that your generation has potential but I just can't.
I used to hate my generation too and I still do, however I do acknowledge that lots of people that I know from my generation have proven their skills and abilities in multiple domains.
My generation was at least capable of respecting the old things that the older generations liked, while your generation completely rejects every single thing made in the past that my generation and the generations before mine thought to be cool. You name it, music, gaming, movies and your generation ignores them and hates on them.
That's my biggest gripe with your generation.
The majority of kids from your generation have also been kept away from pc gaming and thus been kept away from learning how to properly work with a pc, due to the consoles.
Not knowing how to be a skilled pc user from childhood, can have a severe impact on your generation when it will become older and going to be unable to control it's own destiny and future.
Being stuck on using consoles that have oses made for noobs, with a few features that don't require any knowledge form a person, is definitely not the key for keeping yourself informed and on the edge of knowledge.
Many times, I am under the impression that your generation and the generations after you are being purposely subjected to media that keeps you dumb and ignorant and never requires any advanced knowledge of a person.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 01 June 2011 - 06:40 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostSpirrwell, on 01 June 2011 - 04:22 PM, said:

Yes I am lonely, and even university kids can be real idiotic, at least around here. A real conversation means nothing if you don't know how to mean what you say. I didn't mean for this topic to be about me, I meant for it to be about hypocrisy and idiocy, yet this topic has been veered towards me.

University kids are below your standards. Fine. Next - read How to Win Friends and Influence People, and then hit the streets. Not sure if you are into boys or girls, but I assure you there is one of each, or two or three out there, waiting.
b.t.w. Most people think about themselves or from their perspectives, so naturally posts can end up about oneself. And I gave my opinion about the original subject.

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

View PostHank, on 01 June 2011 - 06:42 PM, said:

University kids are below your standards. Fine. Next - read How to Win Friends and Influence People, and then hit the streets. Not sure if you are into boys or girls, but I assure you there is one of each, or two or three out there, waiting.
b.t.w. Most people think about themselves or from their perspectives, so naturally posts can end up about oneself. And I gave my opinion about the original subject.

The people I get along with are the people that are in their 40s\50s and above. They've actually had experiences, experiences that I'd like to learn about, and yes, I'm into girls. The problem is, the only smart one around my age, doesn't want me, and she has some medical issues... not cancer, but big enough problems to the point where she COULD die. As for pointing the topic towards me, I wasn't calling you out specifically, people just seemed to pin this argument against me instead of dealing with the real intent of the thread... That almost sounds hypocritical right there :angry:

And to Mr. Deviance, yeah, you're lucky. In this generation, I'm luckier than most. By that I mean the way I got in trouble. There's some little kid that got into trouble for bringing damn toy gun to school, a squirt gun or something. Something like that hits the news, and nobody does a damn thing about it. Some innocent little kid was punished for no fucking reason. Studies show that the actions of the zero tolerance policy can actually do more harm than good. Nobody ever tries to get to the root of the problem. If some kid got suspended or expelled for something that was idiotic, that could really get them angry. That kid might want to blow up the school or something, they're not going to let a metal detector, expulsion, and\or suspension stop them from imposing justice from their point of view.

I swear to God, next year when I go back to school, I'm going to bring a knife, and I know the principal and people stand at the door to greet students, and I will take it out and cut from the wrists down, drop it, and walk away. I'll do that to show them every bleeding moment of pain that they caused me. That way, I'll become somewhat of a martyr without hurting anyone, but myself.

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

When I was in school we could carry knives without issue... you could have guns in your vehicle, but not in the classroom. If you HAD to bring a gun and didn't have a car, the principal would just keep it in his office for you until after school.

No big deal back then. All these "rules" do not apply to those who don't follow them. All these "rules" that have been formed, and all the "zero tolerance" rules would not have had any effect at all on those situations.
The rules DO insure that no one can oppose you if you do go nanners and start shooting up the school though. THAT is what I call asking for it. At the school I went to, if someone was to start shooting, there was SOME possibility someone might shoot back, and you knew that most of the males were armed with at least a knife of some kind. We knew the principal was armed for instance. We just all got along though... unlike today. (I think we got along better because we all were armed.)

As far as putting you in a room with a knife... do you really thing the rules have anything to do with right and wrong though? I really don't think that is why most rules and laws are created. Is just more of a "feel good" thing.
Like the airlines here in the US after the 911 attacks... all the new airport security is feel good. It DOES NOT WORK. I know personally. EVERY tested airport security fails. (Yes, I said every.) It is just about letting people "feel" secure. Perception is more important than reality in many instances.

MrBlackCat

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostSpirrwell, on 01 June 2011 - 07:24 PM, said:

I swear to God, next year when I go back to school, I'm going to bring a knife, and I know the principal and people stand at the door to greet students, and I will take it out and cut from the wrists down, drop it, and walk away. I'll do that to show them every bleeding moment of pain that they caused me. That way, I'll become somewhat of a martyr without hurting anyone, but myself.

Wow... I doubt anyone would think that you did it to "show them every bleeding moment of pain that they caused". At best that will look very stupid, at worst - very ill. If you want to cut yourself then fine, but just don't walk showing it off like some fucking attention whore.

• tile 1018

View PostHelel, on 01 June 2011 - 11:34 PM, said:

Wow... I doubt anyone would think that you did it to "show them every bleeding moment of pain that they caused". At best that will look very stupid, at worst - very ill. If you want to cut yourself then fine, but just don't walk showing it off like some fucking attention whore.

I'm not showing it off, and I'm not trying to be an attention whore. I want to show people that this is what happens when they want to fuck with people that don't deserve it, it hurts them. I'd rather become a martyr than to sit idly by while people get destroyed by idiocy, it can even make them mentally ill, and it's their fault. Now I know I deserved something, but what I got was so fucking torturous to me. Kids were not built to sit 5\6 hours a day. I'd file that under mental abuse. I know other people that got fucked up worse than me, so I've got to do something. This is the only way I can do it to show my point.

You are incredibly stupid.
Nobody will give a damn about it.Everybody will be laughing at you.

View PostSpirrwell, on 02 June 2011 - 01:07 AM, said:

I'm not showing it off, and I'm not trying to be an attention whore. I want to show people that this is what happens when they want to fuck with people that don't deserve it, it hurts them. I'd rather become a martyr than to sit idly by while people get destroyed by idiocy, it can even make them mentally ill, and it's their fault. Now I know I deserved something, but what I got was so fucking torturous to me. Kids were not built to sit 5\6 hours a day. I'd file that under mental abuse. I know other people that got fucked up worse than me, so I've got to do something. This is the only way I can do it to show my point.
Spirrwell... your plan would only work to prove your point if your audience "cared", but they don't. That is probably a major factor in your issues already.
Do you know how many people leave letters to "the cruel world" when they commit suicide? (more than not, I know this) Many of them leave video tapes and audio tapes and so on to let the world know what they did to them. A big issue is that it is so common and the "media" never plays any of it anyway. Doesn't do much for ratings... because they are all about ratings. (e.g. they don't care to get out your message)

Second problem... any message within your self inflicted public demise is completely ignored because in modern society killing yourself instantly means you are mentally ill, so any message is ignored, no matter if right, wrong, profound, or whatever.

I have experience in this area... trust me, not one person watching you die will "learn" anything... and you will have taught nothing. And the media will only talk of you as one more crazy person and how we need to ban knives completely, and never once will your message (point) of "look what they did to me" be mentioned.

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 02 June 2011 - 06:26 AM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostSpirrwell, on 01 June 2011 - 07:24 PM, said:

Hah, that way you'll only confirm that they were right about you.

It's a cliche but the best "revenge" (no one has wronged you so technically it wouldn't be a revenge) is living well despite everything. But I guess there's no chance of that happening.

• tile 1018

View PostMrBlackCat, on 02 June 2011 - 06:24 AM, said:

Spirrwell... your plan would only work to prove your point if your audience "cared", but they don't. That is probably a major factor in your issues already.
Do you know how many people leave letters to "the cruel world" when they commit suicide? (more than not, I know this) Many of them leave video tapes and audio tapes and so on to let the world know what they did to them. A big issue is that it is so common and the "media" never plays any of it anyway. Doesn't do much for ratings... because they are all about ratings. (e.g. they don't care to get out your message)

Second problem... any message within your self inflicted public demise is completely ignored because in modern society killing yourself instantly means you are mentally ill, so any message is ignored, no matter if right, wrong, profound, or whatever.

I have experience in this area... trust me, not one person watching you die will "learn" anything... and you will have taught nothing. And the media will only talk of you as one more crazy person and how we need to ban knives completely, and never once will your message (point) of "look what they did to me" be mentioned.

MrBlackCat

I know there are people that care, interestingly enough, I've had some past teacher, and some other students that went to superintendent and the principal and talked. I'm not talking about committing suicide I'm talking about hurting myself to the point where it hurts the people around me.

@Mikko_Sandt, no it doesn't confirm they were right about me I'm showing them that they made me mentally unfit in the aspect that I was hurt. I'm showing them that this is what happens when they do this shit. How could they be right about me? As far as they know I brought the knife for protection, I thought I had to choose between getting locked up in a mental hospital or getting out of it. Yet I still got locked up in a place I didn't belong. I'd love to see everyone of them burn, but if they did, I'd never be able to exercise my point.

This post has been edited by Spirrwell: 02 June 2011 - 11:07 AM

it doesn't confirm they were right about me

Yes,it does,sadly.

The world is cruel,people mostly are idiots and you have to deal with it.Just sit back,listen to some cool music and enjoy your stupid life.
Two years later,or maybe less,you will read this and will be like :"Oh my God,I really was that dumb?".Self-tested. :angry:

• tile 1018

View PostMister Sinister, on 02 June 2011 - 11:31 AM, said:

Yes,it does,sadly.

The world is cruel,people mostly are idiots and you have to deal with it.Just sit back,listen to some cool music and enjoy your stupid life.
Two years later,or maybe less,you will read this and will be like :"Oh my God,I really was that dumb?".Self-tested. :angry:

I wish I was an idiot, I wish I had no brains, because then I might not have a strong opinion such as this. Maybe then I'd be acceptable to the people around me.

User is offline   Hank 

@Spirrwell – Maybe it's only a generation thing or it goes much deeper. Since you prefer the company from old folks, you must have heard the saying: "When I was your age" so here it comes, from another old peep, "I belonged to the Jehovah Witnesses. It's a sect that lives mentally completely segregated from the rest of the world. I was strictly prohibited to associate with anyone outside the sect. In the sect my dad was cast as labourer. I was shunt by my peers because a son of a laborer is nothing. I was truly alone surrounded by people. One thing permitted was to preach from door to door. So I did. I preached to my age, sort of, other would call it a date(s)." Moral? None. A simple story, from a simple labourer's boy. Posted Image

So..You want to cut yourself with a butter knife,because you want to show your classmates and other people that hypocrisy and other stuff like that hurts people,am I correct?

View PostSpirrwell, on 02 June 2011 - 11:00 AM, said:

I know there are people that care, interestingly enough, I've had some past teacher, and some other students that went to superintendent and the principal and talked. I'm not talking about committing suicide I'm talking about hurting myself to the point where it hurts the people around me.

Ok... so you don't want to die to send these people a message. I missed that part.
Even so, I don't think your idea will work for the same reasons I stated relative to suicide.
===================
Ok...
So your rationalization is that you want to raise these abusive peoples awareness that their abusive ways are hurting people (like yourself) and your way of raising that awareness is by hurting yourself. Or...

One question before I continue... Are you targeting the "General Public" around you that witnesses this, or do you intend to specifically target the individuals you hold responsible for "making you what you have become"?

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 03 June 2011 - 11:48 AM

User is offline   Martin 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 01 June 2011 - 06:32 PM, said:

Hehe, good times spirwell, good times.
When I was your age, my classmates would bring makarov pistols and safari knives to school and nobody said a thing.
I even got held against the wall with a jungle knife in one of the launch breaks and almost got robbed of my money by some older kids from my school.
I wasn't even close to being bullied or being a fat kid in school. I've always been a tough arrogant kid that always had his way in school, so you have to imagine what followed when me and some of my mates tracked down and captured those older kids that held me hostage for 20 mins B)
I bet some of them still think of me to this day when they look in the mirror :(

Nice story.

As for your generation being dumb, I can't agree with you more. I would love to be able to say that you are wrong and that your generation has potential but I just can't.
I used to hate my generation too and I still do, however I do acknowledge that lots of people that I know from my generation have proven their skills and abilities in multiple domains.

If he is fifteen, he has yet to have spent enough time acquiring enough skills to succeed in multiple domains. Cut him a little slack on that one? Not the 'cutting himself with a butter knife', because that's pretty gay.

My generation was at least capable of respecting the old things that the older generations liked, while your generation completely rejects every single thing made in the past that my generation and the generations before mine thought to be cool. You name it, music, gaming, movies and your generation ignores them and hates on them.
That's my biggest gripe with your generation.

The generation before yours thought that of your generation, too. I know you think that you've come to fresh conclusions and that you're "right" and stuff, but seriously, history repeats itself. You're becoming one of those "In my day, things were different!" old people. If you think about it, there's nothing new about that. The people before you did that, too.

As for music and film, the current generation have far greater access to all different kinds and strands of these contents than your or any previous generation did. All you got for music was MTV, the radio, and whatever you had a hard copy of. Thanks to the internet, people can now find all sorts of niche works which in the past would have been extremely difficult to come by, being largely suppressed from major outlets such as MTV and radio. People don't need these outlets anymore, and record labels are slowly becoming obsolete.

We're heading towards a time where successful musicians won't be quite as famous as your Madonnas and Elvis' and such. Their 'amount of fame' (for want of a better phrase) will be less, but there will be more of these people, and it won't be restricted to so few genres. As for kids hating old things, I don't believe that this is any more true now than it was 100 years ago. Kids are kids. Always have been, always will be. Besides the point, it's a huge generalization anyway. Case in point- my 11 year old nephew has a penchant for Mega Drive games. He thinks the old bulky cartridges are really fucking cool.

The majority of kids from your generation have also been kept away from pc gaming and thus been kept away from learning how to properly work with a pc, due to the consoles.

Hahahahahahahahaha!! As soon as I saw your post, I was counting down the words until I saw this familiar diatribe show up. I was not disappointed. You are very predictable, D, not to mention quite blinkered and opinionated (dangerous combo). Playing PC games doesn't turn you into a computer wizard. You slip a disc in, click "NEXT" and "I AGREE" buttons during an automated-installation process. These days there's the extra DRM step, but this doesn't require in-depth knowledge of computing. It's just an extra layer of annoyance between you and your game.

Not knowing how to be a skilled pc user from childhood, can have a severe impact on your generation when it will become older and going to be unable to control it's own destiny and future.
Being stuck on using consoles that have oses made for noobs, with a few features that don't require any knowledge form a person, is definitely not the key for keeping yourself informed and on the edge of knowledge.

Pure drivel. Ryan (aforementioned nephew) plays no PC games, but is better with a PC than most people I know. What your ignorance and console hate is keeping from you is the fact that 'gaming' whatever the platform is just gaming. Becoming good with computers means using computers. I don't know what backwater country you come from, but here school children are given laptops to do their work on.

I don't know whether you actually believe the shit you wrote, or whether it was just another opportunity for you to share your very boring hate for consoles with the world once more. How many millions of times have you blamed all the world's ills on consoles? :(

Many times, I am under the impression that your generation and the generations after you are being purposely subjected to media that keeps you dumb and ignorant and never requires any advanced knowledge of a person.

http://youtu.be/5ZjfYKV8C6g?t=1m23s

From 1:23, this old guy is pretty much talking about your point there. Lulz.

Martin Your entire post reeks of ignorance and emo....
Seems I touched your console fanboy nerves.
By looking at your post, you also seem to be a kid, or a very frustrated ignorant console fanboy that gets his little pink hole torn apart every time he is being fed the truth that he hates to accept.
If you can't understand why playing games strictly on consoles can potentially keep you away from a pc, then you are dumber than I thought.
It's so obvious that who starts to play games on the pc at a young age, will automatically start being more interested into the pc and relate to the pc for more reasons than just office and internet browsers.
You are ignorant, hot headed and you are opinionated (dangerous combo)...
I could probably take your entire upper post and remove words and replace them with dotted lines and then print your post on a paper and give the world a perfect standardized model for stereotypical ignorance to use as their posts when they feel like writing a lot about nothing.
You assume you know what I grew up with, then you say I am becoming the old type of person that says "In my day, things were different" which is ignorant bullshit based on your assumptions.
"In my day, things ARE DIFFERENT not "WERE"
If you consider me that old at 26 then you must be really fucking young and that would explain your ignorant babble and your butt hurt console fanboy ass...
If your prepubescent ass would bother to read the entire topic, you would see that I was just agreeing with Spirwell, I wasn't accusing him of anything.
Nest time you post, actually use your brain not your balls and stop being such a butt hurt fanboy...

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 06 June 2011 - 04:51 AM

• tile 1018

View PostMrBlackCat, on 03 June 2011 - 11:46 AM, said:

Ok...
So your rationalization is that you want to raise these abusive peoples awareness that their abusive ways are hurting people (like yourself) and your way of raising that awareness is by hurting yourself. Or...

One question before I continue... Are you targeting the "General Public" around you that witnesses this, or do you intend to specifically target the individuals you hold responsible for "making you what you have become"?

MrBlackCat

Both. Guilt can be very powerful if it is manipulated in the right way. The problem is that every kid that had an impact on a school (to my knowledge) about stuff like this got killed. I need to live so I can suffer, so I can share it. A few years ago we watched this thing about columbine, people were crying and apologizing to each other, and the next day, they were right back hating and pissing each other off. Without experience people can't understand, they need to see it for themselves. I need to become a martyr without giving up my own life, because then I can't change anything.

User is offline   oakman 

Everyone hates their generation when they're 15. It's a known fact that high school sucks ass. Just stick it through, and keep a cool head because I guarantee you that you won't remember at least half of it when you're done...

Guilt gets absolutely nothing done: I can give you plenty of examples of how useless and surface guilt actually is.

The problem is that every kid that had an impact on a school (to my knowledge) about stuff like this got killed.

Elaborate on this please, although I bet I already know what and who you'll cite, and your wrong if what I'm thinking is right-- utterly wrong.

I need to live so I can suffer, so I can share it.

There are millions of people suffering all over the world for much less privileged reasons than you.

I need to become a martyr without giving up my own life, because then I can't change anything.

You won't prove anything. Why don't you actually do something proactive? Start a club for kids that are loners or who are bullied. Reach out to people and become vocal and build a community. You need to affirm that you have DIGNITY. You don't do this by cutting yourself, or by blowing up your school and becoming a "martyr."

You say that older generations inspire you and you like to read. Well why not research struggles from the past? I'd be happy to send you some resources and links to help you start!

This post has been edited by oakman: 07 June 2011 - 01:54 PM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Spirrwell, you need to get out more dude.

I'm not denying our generation has issues but let's say you were born 30 years earlier. You'd have the same information problem with Generation X. Or Baby Boomers. Most people don't know that sciency shit. Back then, you'd have to go to the library and use a card catalog to find the book you wanted. Be glad your generation prides factual accuracy over word of mouth. How is the drive for intelligence something to bitch about?

Also, Facebook isn't engineered to ruin the English language, it's designed to further communication and allow humanity to become a powerful hivemind for better or for worse. It's proven to be phenomenally powerful as a political tool for those who want to change the world and incredibly weak for old farts who want to see it's continued corruption. I don't use Facebook though, I prefer an off the grid lifestyle. I have an Android phone and that's as far as I'll go.

This post has been edited by Descent: 09 June 2011 - 09:46 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Jesus fuck, this guy is a retard. You cannot be fucking shitting me on this one. I really hope this guy is a troll, it truly makes me weep for my peers. Much as Mikko said, the best revenge in life is always being the best. Being the greatest person you can be, well rounded to boot. Smart, funny, interesting, etc You must take care of yourself, never get comfortable. I'd also recommend diversifying your life, most of my friends are idiots and are into completely different interests than me. It makes things interesting. For example, I had a friend who listened to a lot of lame-ass indie music. Somehow I managed to get her into punk rock and the Misfits. Last month I took her to a Danzig show and she had a blast. She'd never have done that if I had sat around moping that I could never find someone to debate about whether Han or Greedo shot first. Diverse friendships are better than being friends with clones.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostSpirrwell, on 02 June 2011 - 11:00 AM, said:

@Mikko_Sandt, no it doesn't confirm they were right about me I'm showing them that they made me mentally unfit in the aspect that I was hurt.

You were mentally unfit to begin with. That's why they locked you away.

How could they be right about me? As far as they know I brought the knife for protection,

What difference does it make? You brought a knife to a school. Only idiots and mental patients do that.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options