Duke4.net Forums: Is there any way to resize actors? [Solved] - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is there any way to resize actors? [Solved]  "The hard coded ones?"

User is offline   DJHellray 

hey guys , DJ Hellray here, is there any way that in mapster32 u can make giant sprites that stays giant in the gameplay? if so please tell me how cause i really wanna make something great out of that , and how do i add some health to them mini bosses?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

What do you mean giant sprites? You can increase the size of sprites in mapster, but there are a fair few sprites which are actors and reset to a certain size in the game, such as enemies, pickups, and a few others.

On the matter of minibosses, you'll either have to include a custom con file which redefines the health of the minibosses, or an easier option would be to use the DukePlus mod, which gives them health automatically, and gives a lot of other cool mapping features. Basically everyone has a copy of the DukePlus mod, so it won't be an issue for you to use that.

If you want your own mod, don't use dukeplus. Tell us a little about what you want to do DJHellray.

View PostJhect, on 30 May 2011 - 12:02 PM, said:

If you want your own mod, don't use dukeplus. Tell us a little about what you want to do DJHellray.

all i want to do is make a giant boss in my map thats all

View PostMicky C, on 30 May 2011 - 02:30 AM, said:

What do you mean giant sprites? You can increase the size of sprites in mapster, but there are a fair few sprites which are actors and reset to a certain size in the game, such as enemies, pickups, and a few others.

On the matter of minibosses, you'll either have to include a custom con file which redefines the health of the minibosses, or an easier option would be to use the DukePlus mod, which gives them health automatically, and gives a lot of other cool mapping features. Basically everyone has a copy of the DukePlus mod, so it won't be an issue for you to use that.

so how do i add a custom con file then? id like to know that

• Honored Donor

Don't listen to Jhect, he's next to useless in the help section. I'll try to convince you one more time to use the duke plus mod, it won't use any extra effort on your part, and DukePlus is as common as the HRP. If you were going to include a custom con file to give the mini bosses more health, it might annoy some people because they have to use 2 extra files (one being the con, and the other being a file to tell the game to use the con n. Since everybody already has dukeplus, all they need to do is whack the map in their folder and launch the game. Another thing is that maybe 90% of players will play with the dukeplus mod anyway, rendering your con file useless. I highly recommend the dukeplus mod, look to the left of this post, I've got a huge reputation, I know what I'm talking about with this. 99% of all mappers who want to use mini bosses would use it.

It's also much simpler than you think, just because it's a mod doesn't mean you have to do anything extra.
Just put the mini bosses in the map as usual and it'll work in game no worries, when playing with dukeplus.

However if you still want to include a custom con, which I don't recommend, then you'll need to find one or write your own. That means you'll probably have to find one that someone has already written one since you wouldn't know the con language. I think there's one by Ryan Lennox and the Duke Nukem Repository but I could be mistaken. Then you'll have to write a bat file. Open up notepad and write "eduke32.exe -x(con name)" without quotation marks. And save it as "something.bat"

Now do you still want to include a custom con? :angry:

This post has been edited by Micky C: 30 May 2011 - 08:51 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

That's not going to help him make a GIANT boss, though. If one were starting with unmodified CONs, and all you wanted was for certain sprites to stay the size you set them in mapster, you could use this code:

gamevar KEEPSIZE 0 2
gamevar XSIZE 0 2
gamevar YSIZE 0 2
gamevar TEMP 0 0

onevent EVENT_LOADACTOR

getactor[THISACTOR].extra KEEPSIZE
getactor[THISACTOR].xrepeat XSIZE
getactor[THISACTOR].yrepeat YSIZE

endevent

onevent EVENT_EGS

ifspawnedby RESPAWN
{
     getactor[THISACTOR].owner TEMP
     getactorvar[TEMP].KEEPSIZE KEEPSIZE
     getactorvar[TEMP].XSIZE XSIZE
     getactorvar[TEMP].YSIZE YSIZE
     // pass on information from the RESPAWN to the sprite it spawns
}

endevent

onevent EVENT_GAME

ifvare KEEPSIZE 1
{
     setactor[THISACTOR].xrepeat XSIZE
     setactor[THISACTOR].yrepeat YSIZE
     // we wait until EVENT_GAME to do this, because we want our code to resize AFTER the hardcoded resizing
}
getactor[THISACTOR].htflags TEMP
orvar TEMP 128
setactor[THISACTOR].htflags TEMP
// this last part is important because it prevents the sprite from getting resized more than once; we want to allow monsters to get shrunk, etc.

endevent

Open up GAME.CON in a text editor, insert the code above at the beginning of the file (or at the end, or in any number of other places), and it should work. You have to set EXTRA to 1 on the sprite or the RESPAWN (press 'M on the sprite to edit EXTRA), and then it will retain the size you set in the map editor.

View PostMicky C, on 30 May 2011 - 08:48 PM, said:

Don't listen to Jhect, he's next to useless in the help section. I'll try to convince you one more time to use the duke plus mod, it won't use any extra effort on your part, and DukePlus is as common as the HRP. If you were going to include a custom con file to give the mini bosses more health, it might annoy some people because they have to use 2 extra files (one being the con, and the other being a file to tell the game to use the con n. Since everybody already has dukeplus, all they need to do is whack the map in their folder and launch the game. Another thing is that maybe 90% of players will play with the dukeplus mod anyway, rendering your con file useless. I highly recommend the dukeplus mod, look to the left of this post, I've got a huge reputation, I know what I'm talking about with this. 99% of all mappers who want to use mini bosses would use it.

It's also much simpler than you think, just because it's a mod doesn't mean you have to do anything extra.
Just put the mini bosses in the map as usual and it'll work in game no worries, when playing with dukeplus.

However if you still want to include a custom con, which I don't recommend, then you'll need to find one or write your own. That means you'll probably have to find one that someone has already written one since you wouldn't know the con language. I think there's one by Ryan Lennox and the Duke Nukem Repository but I could be mistaken. Then you'll have to write a bat file. Open up notepad and write "eduke32.exe -x(con name)" without quotation marks. And save it as "something.bat"

Now do you still want to include a custom con? :angry:

Jesus christ. You say i am next to useless, then you go give him crappy information. I guess that means you are 100% useless. haha.

• Honored Donor

Fine, I'll admit that the information I gave wasn't relevant to his last post, and I didn't see the "giant" bit, but in his original post he did say he wanted minibosses, and I tried my hardest to convince him that DukePlus was the way to go for that.

However the information I gave to actually run the custom con at the bottom of my last post is still valid.

View PostMicky C, on 31 May 2011 - 02:58 AM, said:

Fine, I'll admit that the information I gave wasn't relevant to his last post, and I didn't see the "giant" bit, but in his original post he did say he wanted minibosses, and I tried my hardest to convince him that DukePlus was the way to go for that.

However the information I gave to actually run the custom con at the bottom of my last post is still valid.

i want to play on Yang with it . i dont want duke plus lol

View PostDeeperThought, on 30 May 2011 - 10:15 PM, said:

That's not going to help him make a GIANT boss, though. If one were starting with unmodified CONs, and all you wanted was for certain sprites to stay the size you set them in mapster, you could use this code:

gamevar KEEPSIZE 0 2
gamevar XSIZE 0 2
gamevar YSIZE 0 2
gamevar TEMP 0 0

onevent EVENT_LOADACTOR

getactor[THISACTOR].extra KEEPSIZE
getactor[THISACTOR].xrepeat XSIZE
getactor[THISACTOR].yrepeat YSIZE

endevent

onevent EVENT_EGS

ifspawnedby RESPAWN
{
     getactor[THISACTOR].owner TEMP
     getactorvar[TEMP].KEEPSIZE KEEPSIZE
     getactorvar[TEMP].XSIZE XSIZE
     getactorvar[TEMP].YSIZE YSIZE
     // pass on information from the RESPAWN to the sprite it spawns
}

endevent

onevent EVENT_GAME

ifvare KEEPSIZE 1
{
     setactor[THISACTOR].xrepeat XSIZE
     setactor[THISACTOR].yrepeat YSIZE
     // we wait until EVENT_GAME to do this, because we want our code to resize AFTER the hardcoded resizing
}
getactor[THISACTOR].htflags TEMP
orvar TEMP 128
setactor[THISACTOR].htflags TEMP
// this last part is important because it prevents the sprite from getting resized more than once; we want to allow monsters to get shrunk, etc.

endevent

Open up GAME.CON in a text editor, insert the code above at the beginning of the file (or at the end, or in any number of other places), and it should work. You have to set EXTRA to 1 on the sprite or the RESPAWN (press 'M on the sprite to edit EXTRA), and then it will retain the size you set in the map editor.

will it work even ingame? or even online on yang? without them to download some mod?

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDJHellray, on 31 May 2011 - 04:17 PM, said:

will it work even ingame? or even online on yang? without them to download some mod?

Yes it works in game, that's the whole point. As for online: the other players need to be using the same modified GAME.CON that you are using.

View PostDeeperThought, on 31 May 2011 - 05:44 PM, said:

Yes it works in game, that's the whole point. As for online: the other players need to be using the same modified GAME.CON that you are using.

oh i see, thanks for your help.
btw if i wanna make download a modified game.com to ppl can they download from yang or they need to download from the internet?

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDJHellray, on 01 June 2011 - 06:23 PM, said:

oh i see, thanks for your help.
btw if i wanna make download a modified game.com to ppl can they download from yang or they need to download from the internet?

IIRC you can set up yang so it sends them the files.

View PostDeeperThought, on 01 June 2011 - 07:32 PM, said:

IIRC

em.. whats iirc? xD sorry

This post has been edited by DJHellray: 04 June 2011 - 10:50 PM

• Honored Donor

http://www.urbandict...efine?term=iirc

View PostMicky C, on 04 June 2011 - 11:12 PM, said:

oooh! thanks

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Monsters and certain sprites reset ingame.

Is a con code you must // or remove sizeat.

You remove sizeat xx xx.
Then sprite will accept any size.

Or other con codes like he posted.

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 27 June 2011 - 11:22 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options