Duke4.net Forums: Modern Warfare 3 - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Modern Warfare 3

Okay, this topic was going to get posted at some point, it may as well be me.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=coiTJbr9m04

Having played all the COD games since the very first COD (with the exception of Black Ops),
I'm getting a bit tired of the games by now but.....

I think the trailer looks amazing, the locations and action look really epic,
i know its not the most important thing, but the genuine locations complete with famous landmarks are really doing it for me.

I just hope the gameplay is equally as epic.

Been as popular as it is, its going to get a lot of hate, and i'm by no means a COD fan boy,
but this is my first impression of it, and I like it so far.

This post has been edited by EARTH DEFENCE FORCES: 28 May 2011 - 02:41 PM

The SP looks good, but BO's stale MP has burned me out of CoD multiplayer for a long time. I'll get it, but not as soon as its released.

User is offline   Hank 

Let me be the first hate boy.
CoD looks good, and plays well, it's a decent game if it can be considered a game. I don't consider it a game, that is the catch. You see, when I play, I want to escape, I want fantasy. Since CoD promises to be even more realistic, that's what puts me off. If I want a real fight, I'll join the Marines or venture to Skid Row. That is where the real action can be found.

View PostHank, on 28 May 2011 - 02:51 PM, said:

CoD looks good, and plays well, it's a decent game if it can be considered a game. I don't consider it a game, that is the catch. You see, when I play, I want to escape, I want fantasy. Since CoD promises to be even more realistic, that's what puts me off. If I want a real fight, I'll join the Marines or venture to Skid Row. That is where the real action can be found.

CoD is about as realistic as a cartoon. The "plots" are borderline a parody of international relations both past and present, and the gameplay is basically an arcady FPS with ironsights and weapons modeled off of real ones.

But you know what? I still enjoy it.

This scene in the fault line trailer for Battlefield 3 felt a lot more realistic to me,

http://www.youtube.c...SmsovJc#t=2m48s

I think they really captured the tense atmosphere one would experience in a war really well.

The sound is excellent, on par with Black, which won awards for having the best sound in a game that year.

The weapons are still the best sounding in any fps game to date imo.

Realism can be both good and bad depending on how its done.

I'm very much a Single Player.......err.......well......Player myself, so that is what is most important to me.

I can see myself playing a lot of multiplayer in DNF however.

This post has been edited by EARTH DEFENCE FORCES: 28 May 2011 - 03:11 PM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostEARTH DEFENCE FORCES, on 28 May 2011 - 03:02 PM, said:

This scene in the fault line trailer for Battlefield 3 felt a lot more realistic to me,

http://www.youtube.c...SmsovJc#t=2m48s

I think they really captured the tense atmosphere one would experience in a war really well.

Looks boring and scripted, just like CoD. I'm looking forward to the multiplayer mode though.

I like the WW3 idea that MW1-3 have going on so I'm actually looking forward to the single-player campaign. Black Ops wasn't that interesting.

Funnily enough, I can actually get over the whole scripted nature of that video,
its the feel of the game thats seriously doing it for me.
You can really FEEL those fucking sniper shots near you, i like how they made it appear like you were getting hit, when the bullets were hitting near you.
The close combat sequence is really nice too, he really gives the iraqi a good pounding, again loving the feel of that also.

And also the combat on the pedestrian bridge, loving the impact of the bullets and mini explosions, and how intense the combat is.

I just never felt such atmosphere in a modern combat fps.

That fucking trailer is actually making me seriously think about building a custom PC, rather than doing a cheapo upgrade for the DNF....

This post has been edited by EARTH DEFENCE FORCES: 28 May 2011 - 03:34 PM

It's not cod that sickens me the most, it's the cult of preteen fanboys that comes with it, that turn everything they touch into a kindergarten flame war...
The last 3 cod games have truly been shitty games all around and I have played them and beaten them on sp as for mp NO THANKS!
Another thing that annoys and disgusts me about the majority of cod fanboys is the fact that many of them call themselves cod/fps pros yet they haven't even played the cod games that were made before Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, let alone play any other competitive fps game made before.
Always screaming and cursing and dissing everything that's not like cod.
It was the same story with the halo fanboys.

Another thing that sickens me is how the publishers of this series understand to exploit it.
Too much has been said about this series so it would be pointless for me to start detailing more but if you ask me what I think about mw3, my answer is simple.
Mw3 looks like an unispired stereotypical shooter that takes you through real cities filled with modern wars.
Take crysis 2, replace aliens with soldiers and you get mw3 with better graphics.
Sure, some are going to say that mw3 takes place in some European capitals too but I am really not finding anything exciting about that.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 28 May 2011 - 04:05 PM

All perfectly valid criticisms, that are there in the cod series.

View PostMr.Deviance, on 28 May 2011 - 04:01 PM, said:

Sure, some are going to say that mw3 takes place in some European capitals too but I am really not finding anything exciting about that.

I think i'm starting to become a bit of a sucker for these type "cinematic" type games!

I think it's really excellent Visually, the emphasis on Visuals is extremely high in modern film, there's almost no escpaping it,

but it's something I'm really liking personally.

The scenes in London, remind me slightly of The Getaway series on the Playstation, a game which I have a lot more respect for than GTA3 which was out at the time.

Edit: Had the wrong video in:

It had substance and style, a great story, and broke away from the cartoony look of sandbox games.
The game was really realistic down to the level, where all the major streets of london were included, even the shop fronts,
and all the cars are of actual real life models and manufacturers, and had much more realstic handling than GTA.

The acting was excellent in the cutscenes, and the characters had really realstic faces for a console game at the time.

The gameplay could be boring and long parts when driving, for those who aren't really into racing games like i would be.

But have serious respect for Team Soho for giving us something new and unique.

This post has been edited by EARTH DEFENCE FORCES: 29 May 2011 - 02:42 AM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMYHOUSE.MAP, on 28 May 2011 - 02:55 PM, said:

CoD is about as realistic as a cartoon. The "plots" are borderline a parody of international relations both past and present, and the gameplay is basically an arcady FPS with ironsights and weapons modeled off of real ones.

But you know what? I still enjoy it.

Cool, so will millions of others, including my brother. Posted Image
Not sure what you meant by cartoon, the graphics are excellent, and one plays safely on a chair. - Yet, I think; if you spend so many man hours on a game, surprise me. You can make your own world, why not explore that freedom more instead of just narrowing it on realism, or plots. Posted Image

And don't hate everything. I like your avatar. Posted Image

I kinda went off topic by talking about BF3 and totally went off topic by talking about the Getaway, am in a very open mood tonight!

I don't think its fair to call COD cartoony, its a bit cartoony, but not to the extent of the GTA series, they're seriously cartonny.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

CoD is still pretty cartoony. Worse yet, it's like a cartoon that legitimately takes itself seriously, even though it's a goddamn cartoon. :angry:

User is offline   Hank 

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=mAeCCT-xssg

OK, you guys are right, it looks like a cartoon.Posted Image

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostEARTH DEFENCE FORCES, on 28 May 2011 - 03:34 PM, said:

And also the combat on the pedestrian bridge, loving the impact of the bullets and mini explosions, and how intense the combat is.

I hate looking at that bridge part, because it shows the player shooting his gun with no recoil. This is maybe my biggest fear concerning BF3, that they're gonna making killing easy like in CoD or MoH.

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 29 May 2011 - 08:58 AM, said:

I hate looking at that bridge part, because it shows the player shooting his gun with no recoil. This is maybe my biggest fear concerning BF3, that they're gonna making killing easy like in CoD or MoH.

Nicely spotted! Didn't notice it myself but now it's highly noticeable!

This post has been edited by EARTH DEFENCE FORCES: 29 May 2011 - 10:22 AM

call of duty is as mainstream as rap music, it was good untill console kiddies got ahold of call of duty, now its just the same old shit. People will buy them because if you dont own call of duty "your not cool" man fuck that. i avoid call of duty games like the plauge after black ops, battlefield 3 looks fun, but there pulling off the typical DLC bullshit. so that will most likely be another miss for me. Whatever floats your boat at the end of the day, not going to get into a war with anyone over this.

This post has been edited by GothicBunny: 29 May 2011 - 12:54 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Since CoD promises to be even more realistic,

Posted Image

View PostThe Commander, on 29 May 2011 - 01:20 PM, said:

Posted Image

Ain't that the fucking truth! Health regen is such a game ruining aspect for fps games...
Bring back the health recharging stations and the health packs.
For fucks sake, the red cross has been synonymous with gaming since forever!
I keep asking myself why the hell has it been removed after so many years of using health packs with a red cross on them, in favor of this stupid health regen system?
Are they trying to dumb down new age gamers and make everything so much easier for them?
What happened with actually working up some strategies to beat a level in your games? This health regen system completely removes the gameplay element that required you to make strategies of shooing enemies, hiding and sprinting to that that far away health pack with your last remaining 10% health or risk having to die a horrible death if you ventured forward without picking it up?
Health packs gave the games an extra sense of realism and achievement. Health packs also gave an extra reason to explore more areas in each map in search of hidden hp.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 29 May 2011 - 02:03 PM

View PostHank, on 28 May 2011 - 05:06 PM, said:

Not sure what you meant by cartoon, the graphics are excellent, and one plays safely on a chair. - Yet, I think; if you spend so many man hours on a game, surprise me. You can make your own world, why not explore that freedom more instead of just narrowing it on realism, or plots. Posted Image

I'm just saying that CoD, at its core, is about as realistic as a cartoon, but it tries to hide it by having "realistic" characters, weapons and real-word locations. I understand why you don't like it, tho. There's too much "realistic" games out there and too little fantasy, like the old-school FPS games like Doom, Duke 3D, and Quake. Going thorough the same not-Iraqi city and Russian countryside gets dull after a while because they're generic and uninspired.

TBH, the CoD series is the only "realistic" series I care about anymore; the others just seem too "me too!" and uninspired to be fun anymore. That's why I'm really looking forwards to DNF. I finally get to shink, freeze and gib enemies again.

Thanks. :angry:

This post has been edited by MYHOUSE.MAP: 30 May 2011 - 03:13 PM

User is offline   Martin 

The game is simply not realistic. You can shoot someone in the face with a pistol at point black and they will not die. However a stab or being hit by the handle of a throwing knife will kill them instantly. Regenerating health, respawning.. etc. There is hardly anything realistic about COD. Even the guns have a lot of inaccuracies with regards to their real world counterparts.

It's not cod that sickens me the most, it's the cult of preteen fanboys that comes with it, that turn everything they touch into a kindergarten flame war...
The last 3 cod games have truly been shitty games all around and I have played them and beaten them on sp as for mp NO THANKS!

I get the same crap when I try and join a server on a PC game. The only difference is that they're in their late 20s/early 30s. If I can't speed-strafe and rocket-jump, I'm not welcome and am quickly kicked? Both crowds are just as lame as each other.

Another thing that annoys and disgusts me about the majority of cod fanboys is the fact that many of them call themselves cod/fps pros yet they haven't even played the cod games that were made before Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, let alone play any other competitive fps game made before.
Always screaming and cursing and dissing everything that's not like cod.
It was the same story with the halo fanboys.

Well, people's age must be taken into account. If you're 18, you were born in 1993, would have been far too young to have given a shit about any of the old-ass games that you salivate over. Maybe you just don't realise how old you're getting, Deviance? You sound like an old man when you curse 'console kiddies' and proclaim them to not be 'real gamers' and such. It's actually pretty hilarious. Do continue!

"THINGS WERE BETTER IN MY DAY!" < LULZ.

You might not. Others might.

View PostHank, on 28 May 2011 - 05:06 PM, said:

Haha, what?

View PostMr.Deviance, on 29 May 2011 - 01:57 PM, said:

Ain't that the fucking truth! Health regen is such a game ruining aspect for fps games...
Bring back the health recharging stations and the health packs.
For fucks sake, the red cross has been synonymous with gaming since forever!

Again, sounding like an old man. You also contradict yourself. You 'hate health regeneration', yet you admit to having played through all COD single-player campaigns? Why would you do that? I suppose it's your beta testing job ruining your life again :(

I keep asking myself why the hell has it been removed after so many years of using health packs with a red cross on them, in favor of this stupid health regen system?
Are they trying to dumb down new age gamers and make everything so much easier for them?
What happened with actually working up some strategies to beat a level in your games? This health regen system completely removes the gameplay element that required you to make strategies of shooing enemies, hiding and sprinting to that that far away health pack with your last remaining 10% health or risk having to die a horrible death if you ventured forward without picking it up?
Health packs gave the games an extra sense of realism and achievement. Health packs also gave an extra reason to explore more areas in each map in search of hidden hp.

Health packs are just as dumb and unrealistic a way of regaining health as the auto-regen method. The auto-regen simply means gamers don't have to go about looking for an unrealistic pickup which increases their health stat. No game has ever come up with a realistic way of returning lost health to the player. Picking up a little white medical box which heals all fatal bullet wounds and such instantly is no more realistic than auto-regen. If you've ever worked anywhere, you know a first aid kit basically consists of some plasters, some anti-septic, some bandages, and not much else. Yeah, as if that stuff is going to sort you right out when your lungs have been shot out of your chest.. B)

View PostMYHOUSE.MAP, on 30 May 2011 - 03:11 PM, said:

I'm just saying that CoD, at its core, is about as realistic as a cartoon, but it tries to hide it by having "realistic" characters, weapons and real-word locations. I understand why you don't like it, tho. There's too much "realistic" games out there and too little fantasy, like the old-school FPS games like Doom, Duke 3D, and Quake. Going thorough the same not-Iraqi city and Russian countryside gets dull after a while because they're generic and uninspired.

Brink, Doom 4, Rage, Prey, DNF etc. Not only do you sound like you've got your rose-tinted specs on, you're just wrong. There are options for those who don't want to play COD.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostMartin, on 04 June 2011 - 10:05 PM, said:

The auto-regen simply means gamers don't have to go about looking for an unrealistic pickup which increases their health stat

It also means that players are allowed to rely more on rushing their way through levels.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options