Duke4.net Forums: Ingame Glitch - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ingame Glitch

User is offline   wesley025 

Im am really handy with Mapster and know how to make a map.

But my map has a glitch which is really irritating me.

As soon as i walk on soon places , the entire road suddently is missing.

Can someone tell me how to fix it so i can finally finish the map.

This post has been edited by wesley025: 27 May 2011 - 04:59 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

You have provided as absolutely no information to go on. There could be hundreds of things you did wrong. What you need to do is post a screenshot of before and after the road disappears, and maybe a screenshot of the level in mapster or the level itself.

Although the most likely thing to have gone wrong is that you probably made a larger child sector around a smaller child sector. When making a room, always make the larger sectors first, then work inwards.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 27 May 2011 - 05:45 AM

Oke, sorry fot the place i posted the question but i didn;t notice

http://www.mediafire...0cghr5put654f2r

http://www.mediafire...5hu57nt7mc5hc#1

The links for the Screens.

Don't complain that i didn;t add them here but i had some trouble.

If there is more you need then say so and i will do it right away

• Honored Donor

Despite appearances I actually don't complain that much if you hang around me long enough :)

I think I have an idea what might be the problem, but it's hard to explain. Post up the map and I'll see if I can fix it, if you want.
Oh and here's a great site for photos that I use all the time: http://photobucket.com/ If you upload your photos there, you can link them, insert images, insert click-able thumbnails and all sorts of things, and it's easy to use and free.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 27 May 2011 - 05:49 AM

:) Just keep in mind that i have some things that arent finished. I am playing my maps like 2 times a day just to find small things that can be added or remaked. Anyway enought out of my mouth. Here is the link with my map.

http://www.mediafire...5nvw5j47xjl59gd

Micky , Dont bother the Read me XD

But the same glitch can be found in the Left Above Sectors where the Doors with Buttons above can be found.

This post has been edited by wesley025: 27 May 2011 - 06:48 AM

• Honored Donor

Ok I fixed it. When I opened it up the map was extremely corrupted, I tried to clear it up as much as I could but there are still about 17 errors left that I can't get rid of. (To get rid of an error you need to open up the console and type "corruptcheck tryfix" but that doesn't work for certain things)

Those glitches shouldn't happen anymore, but with the room to the right of the map with the cars, the room with the sprite bridge and the funhouse, to get rid of the glitch it looks like I changed something with the roof, you might have to delete that room with the sprite roof and remake it, which shouldn't be a problem as it was a tiny room. Also you'll need to finetune the shape of the footpath in the street which I fixed, as I had to delete and redraw that.

Having a quick look at your map, it was far larger than I expected, so well done. There were also a few innovations which is rare for a new mapper, which is also good. If I were going to be completely honest, it looks a lot like a noob map, even if you were to add more detail and lighting to it, but so does everyone's first map. But that doesn't mean it can't be fun and enjoyable, which it probably will be as long as people don't expect the super-detailed standards of today's maps.

Also I noticed you haven't really put any lighting in. It might be a good idea to instead of using sector based lighting, you use polymer lighting, as per the first post in this thread: http://forums.duke4....and-eduke32-20/
To use polymer, open up the console with ~ and type "setrendermode 4" without quotation marks, and press enter (but make sure you're using 32-bit mode mapster first) then to see the polymer lights, press ' and x at the same time.

That reminds me, if you can't attach a file to your post, put it in a .zip, and it should work :)

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Micky C: 27 May 2011 - 02:48 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostMicky C, on 27 May 2011 - 02:47 PM, said:

It might be a good idea to instead of using sector based lighting, you use polymer lighting

Or not. I sure hope you aren't using that idea while making your maps. Forgetting sector base lighting is a recipe for a boring, bland, and undetailed map. Polymer is amazing, but as long as this is a 1996 engine, we have to conform a bit.

• Honored Donor

I hope that DanM and I have shown that polymer lighting can be an adequate substitute for sector lighting. Although what I was thinking when I made that post is that if he used sector lighting, it wouldn't be done very well, or on very many places if this is his first map. I just thought that if he used polymer lights, which are generally easier and faster to implement and give it a fighting chance of looking good.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMicky C, on 27 May 2011 - 02:47 PM, said:

Ok I fixed it. When I opened it up the map was extremely corrupted, I tried to clear it up as much as I could but there are still about 17 errors left that I can't get rid of. (To get rid of an error you need to open up the console and type "corruptcheck tryfix" but that doesn't work for certain things)

Is there a list for all those console commands? Until I read your post I did not even know ~ opens up anything Posted Image

• Honored Donor

Here you go: http://wiki.eduke32....onsole_commands

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMicky C, on 27 May 2011 - 05:56 PM, said:

Now I'm even more lost, all those work in Mapster32? I thought they apply during playing?

wait!! corruptcheck tryfix is not on the list. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 27 May 2011 - 06:23 PM

Thanks , Micky i.ll try my best

This post has been edited by wesley025: 28 May 2011 - 12:37 AM

• Honored Donor

View PostHank, on 27 May 2011 - 06:19 PM, said:

Now I'm even more lost, all those work in Mapster32? I thought they apply during playing?

wait!! corruptcheck tryfix is not on the list. Posted Image

I'm not all too sure about that list actually, I know some of them work in mapster but I haven't tried many of them. It's probably slightly out of date too in that case. The problem with an on-going project like eduke32 is that when developers add new key functions and things, it's hard to spread the word of what they are and what they do because having to add them to the wiki each time is annoying, on the other hand it forces you to check the forums for when these features first come out so that you can learn how to use them while the threads are still around, such as the TRoR, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMicky C, on 28 May 2011 - 01:02 AM, said:

I'm not all too sure about that list actually, I know some of them work in mapster but I haven't tried many of them. It's probably slightly out of date too in that case. The problem with an on-going project like eduke32 is that when developers add new key functions and things, it's hard to spread the word of what they are and what they do because having to add them to the wiki each time is annoying, on the other hand it forces you to check the forums for when these features first come out so that you can learn how to use them while the threads are still around, such as the TRoR, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

To check the forums with words like 'console', gives me hundreds of hits. The SVN or whatever has not even a search function, or it was not written down to be found. It may be time consuming to upkeep a wiki or a blog, but not doing so will consume the time for all those wanting to use the features down the road. Eduke has not changed. It's a very exclusive club, neither good nor bad, as you wrote, simply is. Posted Image

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

It could well be out of date as it has not been updated since I inserted the Polymer vars which was in April last year.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostThe Commander, on 28 May 2011 - 04:13 AM, said:

It could well be out of date as it has not been updated since I inserted the Polymer vars which was in April last year.

I was revering the '~' command. If you go to http://wiki.eduke32....yboard_Commands you will not find any reference to it. What we need is a Bishop or Usurper, people with good english willing to log the development of Mapster32.

I dont follow you guys.... but at least the glitch is gone

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View Postwesley025, on 28 May 2011 - 06:33 AM, said:

for your future reference

View PostHelixhorned, on 17 May 2011 - 10:04 AM, said:

Alt-[ and Alt-] will cycle through map corruptions.

User is offline   Hank 

View Postwesley025, on 28 May 2011 - 06:33 AM, said:

no it's not

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Somewhere in your map you joined close but not attached sectors together or deleted a sector. No warnings from the program and you developed onwards. Now other sectors disappear from view yet look normal on 2D view. I have no experience yet with the console commands and how to use them, or if your problem can be fixed with it. So far the revised map version Micky C uploaded, shows a completely unrelated wall in the middle of nowhere. So the core problem still exists, even so it's hidden for now. Reference are the first two thumbs

Bottom line, be careful about deleting and joining sectors. Deletion has to be done in reverse sequence of creation, and only true adjacent sectors can be joined. I found the very same problem with other maps, and my very own first map. They will play and you will be able to build with it, but only to an unknown point. Then you select one wall, and a seemingly other sector get's connected, and you are forced to stop progressing with the map, and the map is toast. In the third thumb, I outlined one your of your core corruption area, you may be able to trace your steps and fix this area, and move to the next corrupt area. If not, I politely suggest to redo the map.

Also, if you don't want the thumbs, pm me and I delete those. It's your map not mine Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 28 May 2011 - 09:35 AM

• Honored Donor

Hmm I didn't notice that wall in the middle of nowhere. Not sure if I created that or not, but now that you mention it, I had one of those in my first map as well, and it was really annoying.Still, I say that if you can finish the map without problems, and it's playable without visual glitches and game breaking bugs, you should go ahead and release it anyway. Everyone's first map is more of a learning experience that can be played and showcased than an actual level. Of course everyone's going to play it to see what you're capable of :angry:

User is offline   Hank 

If you know that you are working with an embedded time bomb, I suggest diffusing it. There are more visual glitches, present.

As I said before we need another Bishop or Usurper. Posted Image

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

wesley025: I took a look at MickyC's partially fixed version of your map and I'm sorry to say that it's still very, very corrupt. Cleaning up this mess up would only be possible with manual effort. However, I'm wondering how you got your map to such a state because newer versions of Mapster32 should do enough error checking that such things don't happen.

View PostHank, on 28 May 2011 - 08:29 AM, said:

Bottom line, be careful about deleting and joining sectors. Deletion has to be done in reverse sequence of creation, and only true adjacent sectors can be joined.

There's no such restriction with deleting sectors. If something breaks by deleting them in arbitrary sequence, it's a bug. About joining them, Mapster32 allows it, but what may happen with them afterwards hasn't ever been tested.

darn , i dont see how the glitch was unnoticed. i had it before but as able to handle it. this time it has gotten worser.
what can i do to delete the glitch

This post has been edited by wesley025: 29 May 2011 - 11:08 AM

User is offline   Hank 

Let me put it another way.

It's a quote from Ken himself, 'delete in the opposite direction as you created', even so Mapster has no longer that restriction, I will stay behind my suggestion.

Lets say you have one sector; you split the sector in two, or three parts. Later on, you decide you do not want those sectors. You should join those sectors back together and not delete them by creating a white-wall area and delete it. - Let's say you have two sectors in one large sector, joining those together even so they look adjacent is not a good idea. Doing it things like that will get you a map as above, well in the old days.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

Fixed map attached. Obviously, it will have some sectors deleted because there was no hope for them, but most of them were stray sectors caused by the corruptions, I think.

View PostHank, on 29 May 2011 - 11:52 AM, said:

Let me put it another way.

It's a quote from Ken himself, 'delete in the opposite direction as you created', even so Mapster has no longer that restriction, I will stay behind my suggestion.

Where's that quote from?

Lets say you have one sector; you split the sector in two, or three parts. Later on, you decide you do not want those sectors. You should join those sectors back together and not delete them by creating a white-wall area and delete it.

Yes, because drawing a white wall around them doesn't make sense -- it will create a totally unrelated new sector, assuming there's no SoS going on. Whether you first join them or not shouldn't have any effect.

- Let's say you have two sectors in one large sector, joining those together even so they look adjacent is not a good idea. Doing it things like that will get you a map as above, well in the old days.

I can't recall that deleting inner sectors ever caused problems. You're only making yourself too much trouble by sticking to such "advice". Just give it a try!

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Hank 

deleted by Hank

This post has been edited by Hank: 29 May 2011 - 06:22 PM

Helix , i checked it out and i noticed that some entrance to sectors where removed. So..... if i still want to enter the sector somehow , then how about some teleporters. And of course what Micky said. Some more Lighting effects

• Honored Donor

You don't need to put in teleporters, you can remake the entrance if you want. He just deleted it because the sector was corrupted and could not be fixed. I suggest you keep the map helixhorned uploaded as a seperate file, and try to remake the entrance in a copy. If pink text in the top left of the screen appears saying there's an error, fall back onto an older copy, and try again if you feel like it. Sooner or later you'll figure out which actions make the map corrupt, and learn to avoid them, then you're all set.

User is offline   Stabs 

You can use a mix of sector and polymer based lighting, the system actually allows for it, you can cull and i highly recommend you do just to stop light leaks which in turn will increase your fps too.

basically if an SE cannot see a sector through a white wall it will not light it, using this effect you can create nice lighting trims around more simple geometry like corners for a good effect with no leaks and not having to resort to spotlights.

an easy way to find a trim angle is to draw a line out from the SE and see what angle it makes when it hits certain corners, this will give you an idea of the trim angle you will need, and you will need to use this technique for smaller and more complex structures.

Micky , I'll let you know if i see the Pink text. I havent seen it before so maybe this time i will.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options