Duke4.net Forums: Carmageddon 4 now officialy named Carmageddon Reincarnation - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Carmageddon 4 now officialy named Carmageddon Reincarnation

http://carmageddon.com/

Post update:
The site no longer has a countdown on it's main page and is alive and kicking, talking about the history of carmageddon, about the fact that Stainless(original carmageddon dev studio) have reacquired the Carmageddon brand and about the fact that they are eager to deliver a new carmageddon game that is not going to be a flaming shit like 3 was, since 3 was not made by them.
At the history page, all carmageddon games receive info about them with the exception of carmageddon 3 where they had this to say about it.
Posted Image

At the wallpaper section you can also find some remastered versions of the carmageddon 1 and 2 box art with Max Damage and a wallpaper that looks like concept art from the new carmageddon game!

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 13 June 2011 - 10:55 PM

User is offline   Hank 

$('#counter').countdown(
     		{ image: 'digits2.png',
           	startTime: mstime(),
       		digitImages: 11,
       		digitWidth: 20,
       		digitHeight: 36	}
                                            ).delay(1000); 

from view source; they set a start time but no end. Delay 1000, so in a thousand years, maybe. Posted Image

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

That is the delay on the tick. I have made a countdown before with javascript and you need to delay the tick and cause the screen to reload. There should be another function in there that actually holds the date.

I am excited about this. Carmagedon was an awesome game. Strangely, I am more excited for this than DNF. :)

User is offline   ch108 

View PostMr.Flibble, on 24 May 2011 - 05:52 AM, said:

I am excited about this. Carmagedon was an awesome game. Strangely, I am more excited for this than DNF. :D

Maybe because Carmageddon hasn't jerked you around for 14 years possibly? :)

But then again today's technology: enhanced car damage, collision physics, euphoria biomechanical AI for the peds. It would be pretty awesome.

• I have the power!

They already had car damage...it wasn't perfect but it was awesome in its own right.

I miss getting points for hitting pedestrians. :)

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostMr.Flibble, on 24 May 2011 - 08:00 AM, said:

I miss getting points for hitting pedestrians. :)

It was zombies for me, heh.

NICE....

And, so what are you folks seeing the timer do?

I see a countdown: 7 days, 13 hours.

This post has been edited by wayskobfssae: 24 May 2011 - 11:23 AM

User is offline   Sebastian 

I had always hoped that Criterion would pick up the Carmageddon license and do one of their own. Hopefully these new independant developers will do the series its justice.

View PostSebastian, on 24 May 2011 - 12:02 PM, said:

I had always hoped that Criterion would pick up the Carmageddon license and do one of their own. Hopefully these new independant developers will do the series its justice.

I just hope nobody decides it needs to be re-envisioned. After all, Carmageddon was based on Death Race, which at the time was a race with killing peds for points. Death Race got remade into a prison tournament of custom-built war machines blasting each other with all sorts of weaponry. Hopefully nobody decides that Carmageddon needs to do the same thing now...

• I have the power!

I am seeing 7 days, yeah.
I hope they don't either make it "safe" or make it so outrageous that it no longer is Carmageddon. I just want to race around destroying cars and killing people...nothing else is needed for the game to work. Classic arcade style, please.

User is offline   Engel220 

The main things that Carmageddon needs to succeed are violence, the original characters and cars (Max Damage, Kutter, Vlad ect), and some kind of story. What'll be interesting is how Carmageddon stacks up to the new Twisted Metal, both games have been more or less cult classics (Twisted Metal being more popular) and offer similar gameplay and character designs, but I'd like to see a rivalry brew up to get Carmageddon back on its feet in style

It's a good time to be a gamer, MK's back again, Duke Nukem's finally back from the dead (With Gold status to prove it), and another DOOM, Twisted Metal and Carmageddon are all on the horizon.

This post has been edited by Engel220: 24 May 2011 - 12:54 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostEngel220, on 24 May 2011 - 12:45 PM, said:

The main things that Carmageddon needs to succeed are violence, the original characters and cars (Max Damage, Kutter, Vlad ect), and some kind of story.

While violence was the facade for Carmageddon it truly shined as a free-driving race game. You could even land on a building in original game. It had a bigass maps with lots of different routes and places.

This post has been edited by Lotan: 24 May 2011 - 09:24 PM

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

There was a ton of shit that made Carmageddon a great game. The way you could record the entire race and play it back in different view modes was awesome! The crazy power-ups like pinball mode, jelly suspension, hot rod, bastard ray, even drugs! Can't forget the one-liners: "Mommyyyyy!" "Son of a bitch!" "Goddam muthafuka!" "Ha, sorry." "Say your prayers!" and "Ohhhhhhhh shit!" just to mention a few. Remember the cows? When you're just about ready to smash into one, it shits! Yea, one of my favorite games for sure. I still have it and this thread has me wanting to play it again.

"OUTA TIME!"

View PostEngel220, on 24 May 2011 - 12:45 PM, said:

both games have been more or less cult classics (Twisted Metal being more popular)

Bullshit. Twisted metal is definitely not more popular than Carmageddon are you mad?
First of all Twisted Metal had only one game for pc which was the first game, and that game sucked major ass when compared to Carmageddon.
As for the rest of twisted metal games, they were all playstation exclusives.
How can a playstation exclusive be more popular than Carmageddon that was on all platforms and mainly on pc?
Carmageddon 1 and 2 are still fucking unique and great even to this day and many people are still playing both of them with Nglide that allows you to get 3d acceleration and support for any resolution or screen format!
The Carmageddon games have a huge ass scene that has produced thousands of new cars and pedestrians, new tracks and all kinds of mods even though the games didn't came out with an sdk!
I am an old school gamer that has played them all and I can tell you for fact that even though I've played twisted metal games, I've never heard anybody to absolutely love it and make an obsession for it nor refer to it in real life.
Carmageddon is so popular that many people use it's name to refer to real life situations of cars crashing into people and into other cars.
Carmageddon is synonymous with car damage and ped carnage!

As for the new Carmageddon game, I believe it's very easy to fuck up because of how the Carmageddon series has a very strict recipe for success that can't be altered at all or it turns into something else.
There have been 1 or 2 games that attempted to copy Carmageddon and be throwbacks at the series but the people that made them did not get what made Carmageddon unique.
Armageddon Riders is a game that wants itself to be a modern Carmageddon but fails at every single chapter because the people that made it didn't want to keep any of the proven mechanics of Carmageddon and their game fails miserably.

The main ingredients of the recipe that makes Carmageddon 1 and 2 unique yet similar to each other are the following:

1. Car damage that allows you to bend the cars into exaggerated shapes and no matter how much you smash them, they will still find a way to bend a little more!
2. Car brands which are always the same but with evolved models ex.(eagle 1, eagle 2, eagle 3 , hawk 1 , hawk 2, hawk 3)
3. Driving mechanics and low gravity that allows the cars to fly and spin through the air slowly and much higher than it would be possible in any other racing game that attempts to simulate real life gravity.
4. Classic powerups that give you all kinds of bonuses and functions for your car or attempt to make it harder for you to drive for a limited time period.
5. Never changing sounds for the engines, the repairs, the tire squeals, the crash sounds and the metallic sounds that have also been the same in both carmageddon 1 and 2.
6. Peds that run around and scream like mad and try to run away from you and make cool sounds when you smash into them. The meaty sounds of dragging a ped corpse all around the racetrack was also something that made carmageddon games unique.
Also the peds absolutely need to work like in carmageddon 1 or 2 and either tun into a pile of guts when you hit them or start spreading into pieces the harder you hit them.
7. The game needs to allow you to gather and buy armor, offensive and engine power so that as you play and finish races, you get to have much tougher cars than when you first started.
8. It is very important that the race tracks are very open world and allow for a gameplay that doesn't require you to race. What made carmageddon unique was that it was oriented towards crashing and destroying other cars rather than having a violent race through checkpoints with them. Checkpoints were always optional in carmageddon and did not absolutely require you to go through them.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 25 May 2011 - 02:01 AM

User is offline   Loke 

View PostVinsaneOne, on 24 May 2011 - 10:23 PM, said:

There was a ton of shit that made Carmageddon a great game. The way you could record the entire race and play it back in different view modes was awesome! The crazy power-ups like pinball mode, jelly suspension, hot rod, bastard ray, even drugs! Can't forget the one-liners: "Mommyyyyy!" "Son of a bitch!" "Goddam muthafuka!" "Ha, sorry." "Say your prayers!" and "Ohhhhhhhh shit!" just to mention a few. Remember the cows? When you're just about ready to smash into one, it shits! Yea, one of my favorite games for sure. I still have it and this thread has me wanting to play it again.

"OUTA TIME!"

Yup, C1 was, or rather is, a truly awesomely fun game. I remember playing it back on my old i486 with like 16MB RAM on one of the early city maps and had tried destroying a strong opponent for the last 30 minutes until I finally managed to struck him and kill his engine. Saw the text "Car added to the change car list" frantically flickering on the screen when the game just suddenly CTD. Yep, one of my first rage moments. :)

When I said Twisted Metal was more popular I didn't mean that the games were any better, I merely meant that the series had outlived Carmageddon and was going strong years after Carmageddon had vanished from public view and it became more popular amongst the majority number of gamers by comparison (I'd had a few drinks last night when I wrote that, DNF gold celebrations, y'know?). Carmageddon's become a cult classic series with a bedrock of fans and supporters, Twisted Metal hasn't quite gotten there and, providing this new Carmageddon adheres to the old rules of the classic games as much as humanly possible, then Carmageddon could crush Twisted Metal again.

This post has been edited by Engel220: 25 May 2011 - 09:18 AM

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

@Mr. Deviance: even to this day and many people are still playing both of them with Nglide that allows you to get 3d acceleration and support for any resolution or screen format!

So I don't have to fire up an old Win 95 machine to play it on XP using Nglide? Or should I resort to DosBox?

User is offline   ch108 

View PostVinsaneOne, on 25 May 2011 - 05:57 PM, said:

@Mr. Deviance: even to this day and many people are still playing both of them with Nglide that allows you to get 3d acceleration and support for any resolution or screen format!

So I don't have to fire up an old Win 95 machine to play it on XP using Nglide? Or should I resort to DosBox?

I think you just need this to launch the game with :nGlide

I'm not sure how well the original installers work off the CD's for C1 and 2. I remember being able to play C2 on W7 using Direct3D renderer, didn't run as well as the 3Dfx mode did though.

Haven't really played 2 or 3 much, but i think you can never beat the original!

It was sick!

Found this on Stainless' site, well worth a read and a laugh at the outcries of censorship and banishment of old. http://www.stainless...maggedon_hi.pdf

('Save Target As' if you can't open it in your browser)

This post has been edited by Engel220: 29 May 2011 - 05:44 AM

User is offline   Klapher 

Wow! Carmageddn 4!!!! This is amazing if it's real! Ihave been waiting for them to announce a new one almost as much as dnf !!!

User is offline   ch108 

Well it went from half an hour this morning to 10 hours 20 minutes and 53 seconds this afternoon.

Ladies and Gentleman I think we have ourselfs a new Duke Forever contender :angry:

*Edit* Scratch that it's here!!!!: Carmageddon

This post has been edited by ch108: 01 June 2011 - 03:56 AM

FUCK YEAH!!!
Posted Image
The old guys have reacquired the carmageddon brand and they FUCKING UNDERSTAND WHAT MADE IT GOOD!
They are going back to carmageddon 1's roots!
This is fucking surreal!
Just look at this wallpaper, they totally fucking nailed the feeling and atmosphere!

As they say it on their site!
Carmageddon Comes Home!

THERE IS A JOKE ABOUT DUKE NUKEM ON THE CARMAGEDDON 4 SITE!

Check out the history section to find out more about the history of Carmageddon. Visit the forums, and get involved in the biggest brand re-boot since... what’s his name... that Nuclear guy... Duck... Dick... Dick Fallout?

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 01 June 2011 - 06:44 AM

I don't want to sound like I'm hating on the first game, but I hope that they use the second game's character and car design and combine it with the first game's best elements. I just always thought that Max Damage and the other characters looked much more unique and interesting in number two, it looked like Stainless had thought about everything and had it dialled in by that point.

This post has been edited by Engel220: 01 June 2011 - 08:55 AM

View PostEngel220, on 01 June 2011 - 08:54 AM, said:

I don't want to sound like I'm hating on the first game, but I hope that they use the second game's character and car design and combine it with the first game's best elements. I just always thought that Max Damage and the other characters looked much more unique and interesting in number two, it looked like Stainless had thought about everything and had it dialled in by that point.

As you can see from the concept art wallpaper, there's a profound carmageddon 1 look to it, with an enhanced eagle 1 model that's probably going to be called eagle 5 or just red eagle like in the first game.
As for your carmageddon 2 preferences, as you can see in that pic the opponent repulsificator power up is being used and as you already know, the opponent repulsificatior powerup first came with carmageddon 2 not with 1.
I am pretty sure that a new carmageddon done by these guys is going to try and combine the best features of carmageddon and carmageddon 2 and also bring some new things to the table, besides the cool new graphics that are going to come with it by default.
Stainless has always shown that no matter if carmageddon 2 was very different from 1 in both graphics and damage system, it still managed to be awesome and bring a cool damage system that was worth wrecking the cars with!

Believe it or not, I have more trust in these guys to make a proper sequel to their games, than I have in 3drealms to make a proper sequel to their game.
Stainless has shown in the past that they were capable to make 2 different games from the same series and they both managed to rock hard!

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 01 June 2011 - 09:21 AM

User is offline   ch108 

I'm sure they'll make an awesome game.

What I'd like to see them do is alter the source code for C1 and C2 to make it play flawlessly on modern machines with 3DFX mode etc etc. Kind of like the way Rebellion supported the original AVP with new patches whilst they were bringing out the new game.

Might be a long shot though.

This probably sounds like a stupid thing to be thinking about so early in development, but I hope they make reskinning of vehicles notoriously easy. To the point that any custom skin automatically gets uploaded to other computers so all players can see it during multiplayer.

• I have the power!

That is something I wonder about...was there much modding in the first 2 games? Even in the 3rd game?

I really need to hunt down a copy of the earlier games. I enjoyed those so much...

I think Carmageddon 3 had a lot more modding than 1 & 2. Pretty sure the modelling files were more standard and easy to convert.

• I have the power!

I remember playing the 3rd one at some point. Might have had a copy of it but I don't know where to begin looking for them anymore. The next time I am at my parents' place I'll be checking the basement computer area to see if the old CDs are still there. My brothers and I cleaned out when we moved but we may have not thrown out the Carmageddon CDs.

If I can't find them there, I'll look in other places.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options