Duke4.net Forums: Whatever happened to the Microwave Expander? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whatever happened to the Microwave Expander?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I've heard nothing about it's inclusion in DNF even though they say all the Duke3D weapons are included. Anybody else heard anything??

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The railgun is partially filling the role of the expander. For example, it makes enemies' heads expand and explode. I know it's not the same but it's the closest thing we'll get.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

MickyC beat me to it.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I guess they just felt it wasn't as iconic as the shrinker. As has been mentioned, its my theory that the Railgun's "no scope" fire mode is designed to be a spiritual replacement for the expander, due to its head expanding functionality.

User is offline   Assblaster 

Railgun still gibs right?

• Honored Donor

View PostAssblaster, on 21 May 2011 - 05:21 PM, said:

Railgun still gibs right?

It gibs occasionally.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 21 May 2011 - 04:54 PM, said:

I guess they just felt it wasn't as iconic as the shrinker. As has been mentioned, its my theory that the Railgun's "no scope" fire mode is designed to be a spiritual replacement for the expander, due to its head expanding functionality.

Are you saying it only makes their heads explode when you use it without the scope?

To be honest, the microwave expander always seemed to be a weapon added just for the fuck of having one extra weapon.
1. It didn't have it's own weapon key slot
2. It looked exactly like the shrinker with the exception of the that added miniature parabolic antenna and the red beam color instead of green

That weapon can be said that it was just another function for the shrinker.

If 3drealms/gearbox would have been smart, they could have made a cool little gameplay mechanic where Duke can punch the shrinker later in the game and it malfunctions and the green light turns red and starts doing the opposite of shrinking.
This for ex would work perfectly.

Voila, the microwave expander!
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 21 May 2011 - 06:00 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

A railgun a proper 'replacement' does not make. In this day and age, with modern technology, the expander could be done better than ever.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

The expander has always been the runt of the family. It was introduced late via the plutopak, the only time it was ever seen in an official release was in ep. 4, E1L8, and once in NW. It's weak, only packs 50 ammo, fires slowly, and makes a damn annoying noise. It's more of a joke weapon if anything. In my old H266MOD, I had at least 4 extra shrinker colorations ready to go: blue (liquid nitrogen), purple (plasma), yellow (cheese), and brown (shit).

User is offline   DerickVonD 

View PostHendricks266, on 21 May 2011 - 09:59 PM, said:

The expander has always been the runt of the family. It was introduced late via the plutopak, the only time it was ever seen in an official release was in ep. 4, E1L8, and once in NW. It's weak, only packs 50 ammo, fires slowly, and makes a damn annoying noise. It's more of a joke weapon if anything. In my old H266MOD, I had at least 4 extra shrinker colorations ready to go: blue (liquid nitrogen), purple (plasma), yellow (cheese), and brown (shit).

WEAK!? Have you ever used that thing on Duke Match? There is a reason it only holds 50 ammo. If you get some good shots in you can kill your opponent in no time and it fires super fast. I thought they took the gun out because it was just too powerful and they saw it as a spam gun.

• Honored Donor

I thing I didn't like about the expander was that it was rare, and it only held 50 ammo, like Hendricks said. In Duke Nukem 64 they bumped it up to 99 which makes more sense (the shrinker is typically a one-hit kill and only packs 50 as well, so the expander has a far poorer power-ammo count ratio.)

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostDerickVonD, on 22 May 2011 - 12:15 AM, said:

WEAK!? Have you ever used that thing on Duke Match? There is a reason it only holds 50 ammo. If you get some good shots in you can kill your opponent in no time and it fires super fast. I thought they took the gun out because it was just too powerful and they saw it as a spam gun.

Not to mention when you use it it blinds the person that you shoot and it has such a big hit scan that you never miss. Its the best weapon in Duke 3D.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostReaperMan, on 22 May 2011 - 07:26 AM, said:

Not to mention when you use it it blinds the person that you shoot and it has such a big hit scan that you never miss. Its the best weapon in Duke 3D.

Agreed, the expander and the pistol were the two most deadly weapons in DM with auto aim on.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 21 May 2011 - 06:30 PM, said:

A railgun a proper 'replacement' does not make. In this day and age, with modern technology, the expander could be done better than ever.

Yeah, would love to see blood and guts get spilled all over the place using today's technology. You could decorate rooms with it.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

See, I've almost never DM'd, so I can be forgiven for not knowing its usefulness there. Against the fake AI bots though, it did seem like it took a lot of hits to kill. Maybe as a finisher.

It could be improved by having a faster firing rate and more ammo (maybe 100 or even 200 like the chaingun and pistol), and having DM placements in all the episodes.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options