Duke4.net Forums: Why I won't buy DNF - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why I won't buy DNF  "(warning: contains high amounts of self-pity and emo)"

First of all, hello to everyone :)

Being an avid fan of Duke Nukem since '97, it's no wonder I'm really happy to finally see DNF, the real deal, soon. But it looks like my karma decided to play dirty this time.
First of all, at the beginning of the month I lost my job. Not a tragedy since I (still...) live with my parents and study in my hometown, but also the recession hit local job market pretty hard and you won't find job even at McDonalds or such.
Next, my computer decided to act like a bitch, so for once DVD-drive stopped working at all, and later HDD started making noises, which means the ol buddy wants to retire. So all my spare money were used to replace those peripherals.
So, in desperate attempt to raise some money, I sold my Steam account (48 games, with all Quakes, Dooms, Half-Lifes, and other good games like Crysis, Bulletstorm and such) on eBay. I got some money, but much less than expected. Still had enough money for DNF, not the "Balls of Steel" edition which I craved for so much, but oh well, I don't need aphrodisiacs to fully enjoy my time with Duke.
But today I receive very high fine. Apparently my local law have changed and 23yo. students don't have rights for cheaper travel card and I was treated as a person without law to travel by bus. And presto, no money for Duke Nukem Forever!

It's really sad for me, that after all this waiting, googling for scraps of new media about DNF, gloom when 3D Realms decided to close and euphoria when Gearbox decided to continue the works, I will not play Duke. And don't tell me I will soon find a job or a bag of money at my door - I'm from quite poor family (those 48 Steam games I received from my friends during those crazy Christmas sales during happier times, and Bulletstorm was a birthday present for me), and as I said before - it's really hard to get a job here, and now I can't even go to other cities looking for one. And I feel like smelliest shit as I sold all those Steam games and received nothing in result.

So yeah, no DNF for me. So I will probably stick to replaying Duke3d for umpteenth time, and all the great maps for it.

But I hope you will all enjoy playing Duke Nukem Forever, no matter what.

And yes, I feel better now when I wrote all this down. Feel free now to ridicule me and my grammar :D

User is offline   Hank 

Ehmm, not sure where this thread will go.
There are +6 billion people on planet earth, and the majority is destitute, they could not even dream of buying let alone playing the best game to come. Tough, life ain't fair :)

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

Here I am thinking this was going to be some "DNF sucks" thread that would subsequently become a massive flame fest...Instead, it is a post that should probably go elsewhere.

If it makes you feel better, I won't be buying the game any time soon for financial reasons.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. :)

Sounds very sad xD

Ask your parent very nicely if they could please pay for a game that you have been waiting for 14 years.

User is offline   Montykoro 

View PostCryptKiller, on 19 May 2011 - 10:49 AM, said:

Being an avid fan of Duke Nukem since '97, it's no wonder I'm really happy to finally see DNF, the real deal, soon. But it looks like my karma decided to play dirty this time.
First of all, at the beginning of the month I lost my job. Not a tragedy since I (still...) live with my parents and study in my hometown, but also the recession hit local job market pretty hard and you won't find job even at McDonalds or such.
Next, my computer decided to act like a bitch, so for once DVD-drive stopped working at all, and later HDD started making noises, which means the ol buddy wants to retire. So all my spare money were used to replace those peripherals.
So, in desperate attempt to raise some money, I sold my Steam account (48 games, with all Quakes, Dooms, Half-Lifes, and other good games like Crysis, Bulletstorm and such) on eBay. I got some money, but much less than expected. Still had enough money for DNF, not the "Balls of Steel" edition which I craved for so much, but oh well, I don't need aphrodisiacs to fully enjoy my time with Duke.
But today I receive very high fine. Apparently my local law have changed and 23yo. students don't have rights for cheaper travel card and I was treated as a person without law to travel by bus. And presto, no money for Duke Nukem Forever!

It's really sad for me, that after all this waiting, googling for scraps of new media about DNF, gloom when 3D Realms decided to close and euphoria when Gearbox decided to continue the works, I will not play Duke. And don't tell me I will soon find a job or a bag of money at my door - I'm from quite poor family (those 48 Steam games I received from my friends during those crazy Christmas sales during happier times, and Bulletstorm was a birthday present for me), and as I said before - it's really hard to get a job here, and now I can't even go to other cities looking for one. And I feel like smelliest shit as I sold all those Steam games and received nothing in result.

So yeah, no DNF for me. So I will probably stick to replaying Duke3d for umpteenth time, and all the great maps for it.

And yes, I feel better now when I wrote all this down. Feel free now to ridicule me and my grammar :D

Tip: use your post in the contest! maybe win the FAC code a presto!!!! brand new demo for you!

@Hank - sure, there are bigger tragedies in the world, still it's bitter to lose an occasion to experience King's return.

@MrFlibble - no it won't make my happier, because now TWO fans will not buy DN4ever, and that's terrible :D

@Jhect - no go. That would be silly, and humiliating.

@Montykoro - added it to the contest, just for lolz :)

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMontykoro, on 19 May 2011 - 01:06 PM, said:

Tip: use your post in the contest! maybe win the FAC code a presto!!!! brand new demo for you!

He'll only have to wait an extra week for the demo if he doesn't win the FAC code, he's not going to miss out on the demo unless yet another tragedy happens.

I have a spare code you can have. Was gonna use it on the ps3 to see if there's any difference to the 360 but damn you need this code more than me

This post has been edited by Sinisterambo: 19 May 2011 - 02:49 PM

Somebody told me that one day people would be out of money, but didn't actually know that would be for DNF, that is.
It would suck ass because you've been waiting for this game all the time, only to have no money left for it in the end.

Atleast you didn't pre-order 10 years ago, poor bastards..

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Poor bastards? GBX is going to give something to the oldest preorders.

Wow, you are doing great man! I actually envy you because here in Zimbabwe where I live, I am forced to walk naked because I have no money for clothes, I also have a big belly filled with liquids and a skinny body due to famine , I haven't eaten anything in 2 months and my entire family is already dead because of famine...
Ever sine I was born, I am forced to drink water from a swamp where all my neighbors go to take a shit and if I cry too much, my neighbors form a crowd and decide upon burning me alive and eating me for the official bs reason that I am the son of a witch.
Sometimes, I fight my friends to death for a dead rotten rat that we find in drowned in a puddle.
The worms from the belly of a rotten rat are a delicacy here where I live!
Overal I think I am doing better than you though, because I am not begging for anything yet.
Aww and btw, HDD's and DVD drives are not peripherals unless they are both external. Maybe you should learn a thing or two while you are not going to play DNF since you obviously have enough spare time now.
Losing your time making topics just to give public hints that it would be cool if somebody magically decided to buy this for you doesn't interest anybody.
If you want my opinion, I would not even care if your post talked about your health condition, let alone a fucking game.
To put it simple, nobody here gives a shit about your happiness or about your life for that matter, so deal with it.

Go to work and buy it yourself, or you WONT TOUCH :(

Bye and have a nice day!

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 20 May 2011 - 12:12 AM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

Mr Deviance, stfu already and have a heart. :)

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

@ the OP, I empathize strongly with your situation. Your position must be difficult, regardless of whether you're trying to buy DNF or not. Hopefully you have a friend who has it and might let you play the game, or failing that, hopefully the demo has a nice beefy amount of gameplay to sink your teeth into. Good luck.

View PostMr.Flibble, on 19 May 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

Here I am thinking this was going to be some "DNF sucks" thread that would subsequently become a massive flame fest...

Yeah you probably should have called this thread "why I can't buy DNF."

This post has been edited by Micky C: 20 May 2011 - 02:30 AM

User is offline   Stewox 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 20 May 2011 - 12:03 AM, said:

Wow, you are doing great man! I actually envy you because here in Zimbabwe where I live, I am forced to walk naked because I have no money for clothes, I also have a big belly filled with liquids and a skinny body due to famine , I haven't eaten anything in 2 months and my entire family is already dead because of famine...
Ever sine I was born, I am forced to drink water from a swamp where all my neighbors go to take a shit and if I cry too much, my neighbors form a crowd and decide upon burning me alive and eating me for the official bs reason that I am the son of a witch.
Sometimes, I fight my friends to death for a dead rotten rat that we find in drowned in a puddle.
Overal I think I am doing better than you though, because I am not begging for anything yet.
Aww and btw, HDD's and DVD drives are not peripherals unless they are both external. Maybe you should learn a thing or two while you are not going to play DNF since you obviously have enough spare time now.
Losing your time making topics just to give public hints that it would be cool if somebody magically decided to buy this for you doesn't interest anybody.
If you want my opinion, I would not even care if your post talked about your health condition, let alone a fucking game.
To put it simple, nobody here gives a shit about your happiness or about your life for that matter, so deal with it.

Go to work and buy it yourself, or you WONT TOUCH :)

Bye and have a nice day!

well that wasn't really appropriate

-complete and utter garbage-

Wow, I think for the first time in ever I found a real use for the voting system.

This post has been edited by trencheel303: 20 May 2011 - 03:25 AM

And here I was under the impression that my cynical post would make sense and others would agree with me that a topic such as this is bad.
Guess the joke is on me seeing how many decided to spam the negative vote button....

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 20 May 2011 - 07:53 AM

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

View PostMr.Deviance, on 20 May 2011 - 07:50 AM, said:

And here I was under the impression that my cynical post would make sense and others would agree with me that a topic such as this is bad.
Guess the joke is on me seeing how many decided to spam the negative vote button....

People don't care. People sympathize\empathize.

View PostSpirrwell, on 20 May 2011 - 08:02 AM, said:

People don't care. People sympathize\empathize.

Not all. There are some that have a low tolerance stuff like this.
Considering the common opinion over here though, I am the only guy that thinks I am right sadly.
So in consequence I will gtfo...

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 20 May 2011 - 08:08 AM

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

View PostMr.Deviance, on 20 May 2011 - 08:08 AM, said:

Not all. There are some that have a low tolerance stuff like this.
Considering the common opinion over here though, I am the only guy that thinks I am right sadly.
So in consequence I will gtfo...

True, not everybody does, but as you said, majority seems to rule here.

Bye and have a nice day!

That was unnecessary...

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Bye and have a nice day!

Posted Image

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 20 May 2011 - 07:50 AM, said:

The problem is, in today's world, satire is an art which most people are no longer accustomed too. Still, even for a satire, you may need some extra work. I won't give it another red one, I never do reds, but not a green one either. Don't give up, try again.:(

And, yeah, change the title, "I love DNF, but can't play it in the foreseeable future." :)

p.s. my girl insist to feed the kids first, and whatever is left over I can buy games with, so doing the budget, I figgured - 3. Dec 2011 and I can start dreaming of getting it. :D

Thanks for all the replies and kind words :) Maybe that wasn't the best place to post such a sadpanda's story (or the whole idea was stupid from the beginning), but I thought that after lurking here for like 3 years it won't make anyone grumpy. Lesson learned!

Mr.Deviance, I'm not entirely sure what amazes me more - the fact that despite harsh zimbabwean regime and extreme poverty you are able to maintain the computer with Internet connection, or the fact people in your country know OMF 2097! Both are truly wonderful informations and make me happy that no matter the place, the good games have it's fans :D Your story inspires me!

Yeah you probably should have called this thread "why I can't buy DNF."

True, I think after my 15+ years of learning English I shouldn't make such mistakes :/

And much, much love for Sinisterambo for gifting me the FAC code, I really appreciate that!

Posted Image

This is the worst entry i've seen for a competition in a long time! Posted Image

The thing that annoys me the most is that the OP is acting like they will NEVER play the game,

even if they were honest, its not like their conditions are going to remain constant for all eternity!

User is offline   ferran275 

I can kind of relate, I have to BoSE preordered but might need to downgrade since the wife lost her job, its not AS bad, but I kind of understand the suckage of the situation. But really man, forget the cynical and negative posts and know that what I say here is really trying to be helpful and NOT 'dickish' :) I don't care where in the world you live, you can scrounge together the 50-60 bucks needed for this game. People need there yards mowed, you can give blood, you can play music in the street until you raise enough, you can walk up and down the road with a can that says "DNF money" on it, and I GUARANTEE you'll make the money. You said you're going through college. Do this at your college and I know you'll find enough people who understand your plight to help you out two bucks here, three bucks there, it adds up man. PLUS, you really don't own ANYTHING you can't sell? you don't have some old shoebox filled with little trinkets that might be worth something? I mean come on man, this is DNF we're talking about here, you can do it, I have faith in you :D

User is offline   Ronin 

I recommend that you wait for some rich looking kid to buy it and leave Gamestop or where ever you get games on release day, and just take it from him with as little force as you can, he will be ok and will probably just go back in and get another copy. Just dont do it in your local shop :)

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Have you tried prostitution? I hear its what desperate people do to get money.... :)

Wow i'm a dick :D

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostReaperMan, on 21 May 2011 - 10:30 AM, said:

Have you tried prostitution? I hear its what desperate people do to get money.... :)

Wow i'm a dick :(

Nah, not too dickish......of course, you forgot to mention DRUGS as a good source of monies.

(Lol...j/k, don't do drugs. They're bad m'kay? :D)

View PostDN4EVR, on 21 May 2011 - 06:09 PM, said:

Nah, not too dickish......of course, you forgot to mention DRUGS as a good source of monies.

(Lol...j/k, don't do drugs. They're bad m'kay? :))

He can still sell drugs without doing em.
There's no downsides.

But yeah
Not having a job and struggling with money problems sucks..

But not being able to play DNF upon release.., now... that is true suffering..

I actually pre ordered the balls of steel edition but probably wont be able to play it, cause my comp cant even handle games from 04, just buying it for the sake of duke.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostDN4EVR, on 21 May 2011 - 06:09 PM, said:

(Lol...j/k, don't do drugs. They're bad m'kay? :))

Mm'kay Mr. Mackey :D

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options