Duke4.net Forums: I was getting nostalgic today, and I went looking for this post. Anybody else remember it? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I was getting nostalgic today, and I went looking for this post. Anybody else remember it?

User is offline   aftli 

http://www.duke4.net...omment.news.235

Just look how far we've come. :)

Everything can still happen, it's only save if we have it in our hands (or harddisks) :)

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View Postaftli, on 18 May 2011 - 09:12 AM, said:

Indeed! We went from having nothing to report to posting several things a week, sometimes even several things a day. It's pretty weird to know that the epic wait for DNF is coming to a close. I imagine I'll feel the same way when my kid graduates from high school and college, which is a pretty funny thing for me to be saying considering I've been waiting for this game since I was 11.

The Duke quote "time flies when you're kickin' ass!" seems to be relevant here.

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

View Postaftli, on 18 May 2011 - 09:12 AM, said:

I still find it strange how many people don't seem to care at all about where we came from... like the path doesn't have any effect on the current point on the path. All the entitlement and so on is what I am referring to.

I remember that statement clearly though... seems like it was a few months ago. I was genuinely surprised when I looked at the date.
Speaking of warped perceptions of time... it seems like I was on the Resaurus Web Site about 4 years ago. We know that isn't the case.

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 18 May 2011 - 10:24 AM

User is offline   Hank 

http://forums.3dreal...read.php?t=3194

this waiting bit reminded me on this thread, from like way back, not sure if it fits in here. :)

Actually the last few days of wait seem to be more charged, because it's for real, there is a date... :D

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

like the path doesn't have any effect on the current point on the path.

To be honest, when 3D Realms announced shutdown, and the game seemed dead.
Something snapped at that moment.
I said farewell... :)

It's just not the same game to me anymore.

I'll still enjoy it probably, just keep wondering, what if....

User is offline   zwieback 

i still can't believe that we are so damn close to release now. it feels very weird

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostSplat, on 18 May 2011 - 11:26 AM, said:

To be honest, when 3D Realms announced shutdown, and the game seemed dead.
Something snapped at that moment.
I said farewell... :)

It's just not the same game to me anymore.

I'll still enjoy it probably, just keep wondering, what if....

I've been wondering that for a lot longer and it certainly doesn't feel the same now (let alone compared to ten years ago).
I must admit that it doesn't come to mind every day, but the notion that DNF isn't (officially) a 3D Realms game anymore is just... unreal.

And yet we still aren't close enough :)

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

Maybe, when we play the scenes from the 2001 trailer in today's game (assuming that most of that gameplay is still in there). We'll feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :)

I think those scenes will actually have the biggest "what if" factor, at least for me.

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

Ah well, as long as i can ride the donkey, i'm happy. If that part is out, the game is fail.

I have no idea why people love the 2001 trailer so much, to me it looks like garbage, and i am so glad it wasn't the version of the game we would get. Todays game is far better.

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

Garbage!? Shut up Jhect...i should ban you for that. :)

User is offline   You 

View PostSplat, on 18 May 2011 - 12:00 PM, said:

Maybe, when we play the scenes from the 2001 trailer in today's game (assuming that most of that gameplay is still in there). We'll feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :)

I really doubt that stuffs still in there. Hope I'm wrong.

Actually, anyone who read the leaked documents can give us a yes or no?

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostHank, on 18 May 2011 - 10:28 AM, said:

this waiting bit reminded me on this thread, from like way back, not sure if it fits in here. :)

Actually the last few days of wait seem to be more charged, because it's for real, there is a date... :D

Shit, reading those posts, and realizing that they have another 12 years to wait....

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

Actually, anyone who read the leaked documents can give us a yes or no?

The plot documents don't describe all gameplay in detail.

View PostSplat, on 18 May 2011 - 12:12 PM, said:

Garbage!? Shut up Jhect...i should ban you for that. :)

I mean it, games around that age was the worst for fps imo. It just looked so old xD i would choose the 2d sprites over the crappy 3d models anytime! I am so happy we are over that time :D

User is offline   Engel220 

View PostSplat, on 18 May 2011 - 12:17 PM, said:

The plot documents don't describe all gameplay in detail.

Yup, it's just a very brief description of what goes in certain levels and what weapons and other items/obstacles the player will come into contact with.

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostTea Monster, on 18 May 2011 - 12:16 PM, said:

Shit, reading those posts, and realizing that they have another 12 years to wait....

Time machine...time?

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

I mean it, games around that age was the worst for fps imo. It just looked so old

But we're not over that age, all we get is "better" graphics.

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostSplat, on 18 May 2011 - 12:22 PM, said:

Well, given better vs lesser graphics and basically the same/similar maps and gameplay, i'll pick the better graphics version 8 times out of 10.....:)

I'm talking about how bad the 3d models looked at that age, and that every fps seemed to start using it because it got possible. Ofcourse it couldn't possible look super awesome. But duke nukem forever looked like a game that could surpass all games at that age, especially because of the graphics and the 3d models looking greater that most other games. But i never really liked it. I'm just glad that 3d models looks so good now.
I'm sure gameplay would have been awesome. But it's still going to be with this game we are getting now, and maybe even better now that they have been working on it for so long.

This post has been edited by Jhect: 18 May 2011 - 12:33 PM

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

Yeah, you can have your opinion and all, but that was the greatest game trailer of that age...

CNN agreed...

hahahahahhahah.

sorry :)

the game today is still far better.

This post has been edited by Jhect: 18 May 2011 - 12:39 PM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostSplat, on 18 May 2011 - 12:37 PM, said:

Yeah, you can have your opinion and all, but that was the greatest game trailer of that age...

CNN agreed...

I'm i'm gonna have to interrupt you for a second and say that Beyonc....err the newest version is the best version of ALL TIME. *NOW BACK TO YOU CHUCK!*

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

View PostHank, on 18 May 2011 - 10:28 AM, said:

Guest posted and guest responded. That is what I find interesting about that thread.

All those posters are no longer members of 3DR and haven't been for a while it seems. Makes you wonder under what name they have returned at any time.

Anyway, I remember all the hooplah between the teaser images and the 3DR shutdown and the PAX shenanigans...I forget how long things have been going on.
Of course, I also have been keeping myself busy, so I hardly notice. :D

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Jhect, you probably are too young to even be aware of what the 2001 trailer was at that moment... It was indeed awesome.

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostDavoX, on 18 May 2011 - 01:27 PM, said:

Jhect, you probably are too young to even be aware of what the 2001 trailer was at that moment... It was indeed awesome.

We better have to save the president when the time comes...just sayin'.

It's nice to see you put "better" between quotation marks, because I have some ideas about that as well.
Saw a Rage video a couple of weeks ago and couldn't help thinking that action game graphics haven't really evolved in a way that tickles my aesthetic fancy.

As for DNF, 11+ year old shots like the following two still look glorious to me, despite their low polycounts compared to the standards of today.
Can't say the same for the current version.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options