Duke4.net Forums: I was getting nostalgic today, and I went looking for this post. Anybody else remember it? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I was getting nostalgic today, and I went looking for this post. Anybody else remember it?

I understand what you mean Davox. But a game shouldn't be good, only for the time it was released. It should be good no matter how old it is, just like duke 3d. This is probably also the reason why we think caring about graphics is lame. Because it's just a matter of time before someone can do it better. You can't do that with gameplay. A game either has it, or don't.

User is offline   LkMax 

Well, I'm not a so old fan of Duke, first played Manhattan Project in 2005 or 2006, then, being interested, I searched for Duke 3D. Luckly (for me) I hadn't to wait 12 years. But It still was a big wait. What I was always expecting was a real Deus Ex sequel or prequel (I hated the second game). Two awesome long-awaited games for me this year. :D

View PostJhect, on 18 May 2011 - 12:11 PM, said:

I have no idea why people love the 2001 trailer so much, to me it looks like garbage, and i am so glad it wasn't the version of the game we would get. Todays game is far better.

ARE U FKING CR4ZY ???!!!!11!!eleven!!
Seriously now, I only saw this trailer in around 2007 and I imagined what DNF could have been... "AWESOMERFULLICIOUS"! Even today.

View PostJhect, on 18 May 2011 - 12:19 PM, said:

I mean it, games around that age was the worst for fps imo. It just looked so old xD i would choose the 2d sprites over the crappy 3d models anytime! I am so happy we are over that time :)

Ok, so replace old graphics and animations to the newest graphics and animations... the trailer still looks like garbage to you?

Do i really have to explain all over again?

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Hey, at least the "what are you going to do, save the world all by yourself?" guy is still in the game, as evidenced by one of those YouTube Xbox 360 demo leak videos. I have a feeling there will be a lot of the little bits we've seen over the years left in there.

That was just thrown in at the request of someone from the gearbox forum. The original scene was much better, it wasn't just a passing comment.

User is offline   zwieback 

i was just at the 3dr forums and figured that most of the old posts older than 2003 are gone.. so i could only read some stuff that i wrote back in 2003 - i was so confident that the surprise was duke related, while it was the announcement of prey.. one of those many times where i was wrong :D

i would like to have a time machine, travel back and tell myself "HA HA! suck it down, you gonna wait for another 8 years - and you will check this forum every day". the irony of the whole thing is, that my past self wouldn't believe me at all :)

This post has been edited by zwieback: 18 May 2011 - 03:56 PM

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostTX, on 18 May 2011 - 03:02 PM, said:

Hey, at least the "what are you going to do, save the world all by yourself?" guy is still in the game, as evidenced by one of those YouTube Xbox 360 demo leak videos. I have a feeling there will be a lot of the little bits we've seen over the years left in there.

What about black security cop guy holding door closed? Is he still in the game? And what about generic army general guy?

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

I played Duke Nukem 1 shareware for a few minutes today. I had a headache that wasn't so bad, so I decided to make it worse by playing a game.
Anyway... I don't have a ton of games on this NetBook I use for internet right now, but I really had some nice feelings of nostalgia reading through this directory listing... some games here are not shareware, but nearly all are. Some games here are NOT stored under their default names either for various reasons.
Anyway... any of the older gamers should get a blast from the past reading these directory names. :)
Posted Image

MrBlackCat

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostMrBlackCat, on 18 May 2011 - 04:31 PM, said:

I played Duke Nukem 1 shareware for a few minutes today. I had a headache that wasn't so bad, so I decided to make it worse by playing a game.
Anyway... I don't have a ton of games on this NetBook I use for internet right now, but I really had some nice feelings of nostalgia reading through this directory listing... some games here are not shareware, but nearly all are. Some games here are NOT stored under their default names either for various reasons.
Anyway... any of the older gamers should get a blast from the past reading these directory names. :)
Posted Image

MrBlackCat
Nice......Commander Keen, Wacky Wheels, Duke Nukem I/II, Cosmo's Quest, Secret Agent, Alien Carnage, etc

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostDN4EVR, on 18 May 2011 - 04:25 PM, said:

What about black security cop guy holding door closed? Is he still in the game? And what about generic army general guy?

Who knows, and yes, the "generic army general guy" is General Graves, and he's been seen in the reveal trailer. He's apparently the guy doing the narrating in it.

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 18 May 2011 - 04:54 PM, said:

Who knows, and yes, the "generic army general guy" is General Graves, and he's been seen in the reveal trailer. He's apparently the guy doing the narrating in it.

By black guy I mean the guy in the trailer who says this thing is really pissed off.

Also what about the prospector? He in it in the western town?

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMr.Flibble, on 18 May 2011 - 12:42 PM, said:

Guest posted and guest responded. That is what I find interesting about that thread.

All those posters are no longer members of 3DR and haven't been for a while it seems. Makes you wonder under what name they have returned at any time.

To me it's like in a huge game event you attended. You come back years later to the same arena, and see your carvings in a seat, look up and notice the silence of the moment. No players, no cheer leaders, no whistle - just dead silence.

George once wrote at that forum, the reason they have a forum is for people to hang. Who would have thought then the place to hang out is here, when the game finally comes out? :)

User is offline   You 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 18 May 2011 - 04:54 PM, said:

Didn't realise that was supposed to be him narrating, doesn't sound like him.

User is offline   ferran275 

View PostSplat, on 18 May 2011 - 12:37 PM, said:

Yeah, you can have your opinion and all, but that was the greatest game trailer of that age...

CNN agreed...

View PostJhect, on 18 May 2011 - 12:39 PM, said:

hahahahahhahah.

sorry :)

the game today is still far better.

What really sets the 2001 trailer up as such a great thing is not necessarily JUST the gameplay, granted, its a huge part of it, but equally large portion of excitement over that trailer can be attributed to the cinematic elements and the way they flow. The pacing, the dialog and the music all mix together to be just pure awesome sauce :(

Try watching that trailer again but just listen to it, and imagine in your head what's going on, as if it were a movie trailer and I guarantee you'll love it ten times more :D

I teach video editing at a university and I show my students this trailer as an example that says "you don't need to have the greatest elements to still be able to cut together an amazing piece"

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options