Duke4.net Forums: Gearbox are taking their time - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gearbox are taking their time

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

I don't get the craziness over the demo. Who cares when it comes out? At least one is coming. In this day and age with so few games using the demo format anymore we shouldn't have anything to complain about.

User is offline   Raziel 

I didn't even have to read your post Micky C, I know exactly what you're thinking and I agree. The whole way the DNF demo is being handled is a fucking joke. The game ships in 24 days (give or take) and the FAC members are supposed to get "early access" to the DNF demo. That's hardly what I would call "early access", more like "better late than never access".

As for the actual demo content, if the leaked demo is any indication of what's actually being released as a demo, it appears that all we're getting is a (potentially enhanced) version of the original PAX demo. Which is quite disappointing and raises some rather big questions, like: why haven't they release this months ago!? And is this honestly the demo we have been waiting so long for?! Why not give us a proper demo, like the one from Titty City that actually lets you play though 90 minutes of the game, being a (supposedly) 16-18 hour game, surely this isn't too much to expect.

User is offline   zwieback 

raziel, i think we just don't know how long the demo will be.
Both, the pax and titty city demo started from the beginning of the game (tell me if i'm wrong).

I agree with the rest.

It's possible the PAX demo will be released exclusively for the FAC members and a separate multiplayer demo for everybody else. It'd be beyond rotten for the thing they hyped almost a year to turn out being what everybody has seen dozens of times already.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 16 May 2011 - 05:36 AM

User is offline   Raziel 

View PostMad Max RW, on 16 May 2011 - 05:18 AM, said:

I don't get the craziness over the demo. Who cares when it comes out? At least one is coming. In this day and age with so few games using the demo format anymore we shouldn't have anything to complain about.

Actually, I think it is reasonable for First Access Club members to be unhappy and complain since Gearbox started the whole FAC thing with some pretty big promises. They pretty much neglected the club for months, and when they did actually post stuff, it was mostly things we didn't actually care for. I think the one or two wallpapers 3DR released around xmas absolutely shits over all the wallpapers released in the FAC club put together. These are so bad, I wouldn't even consider using them on my computer or cropping it for my iPhone. The grabbag track is pretty cool, but you can pretty much rip it from the front page anyway (in slightly reduced quality), still, this is probably the best thing FAC members have gotten so far. Then there's the promise of early access to the demo. Unfortunately, all the FAC members are seeing the counter go down closer and closer to the game's release date, and where's the demo we're supposed to have early access to? We don't even have a release date, all we know is that it *should* be soon. Most of us were expecting to play the full version by now, yet, we don't even have a demo! And as I mentioned in my previous post, it looks like the demo is basically a variation of the PAX demo, which some people might be excited about, but I've played the PAX demo (multiple times) and seen the footage about 50 times, so I'm pretty sick and tired of seeing the PAX demo by now.

This is just my opinion, but I do think it is reasonable for FAC members to be unhappy about the state of things. It is a situation Gearbox could have avoided by making a few smarter choices that take the fans into consideration as well.

User is offline   Raziel 

View Postzwieback, on 16 May 2011 - 05:33 AM, said:

raziel, i think we just don't know how long the demo will be.
Both, the pax and titty city demo started from the beginning of the game (tell me if i'm wrong).

PAX demo had 2 (partial) levels, Titty City demo had 6 levels... What I saw in the leaked demo footage & file structure was the same two levels as PAX, they may be the full versions of those levels, I dunno, but it sure as hell isn't the Titty City demo. Plus, the Titty City demo didn't have the monster truck level, which PAX does. So yes, they both start at the beginning, but PAX then skips to lvl 21 (14B in the filesystem) whereas Titty city goes to level 2, 3, 4, 5 and then 6.

So in short, no, they are completely different demos.

This post has been edited by Raziel: 16 May 2011 - 05:52 AM

Maybe I'm just incredibly jaded after years of disappointment I immediately waved off the FAC nonsense like it was an annoying little bug. Gearbox has a history of incompetence, so none of this should be surprising to people who paid attention.

Again, it's only a demo. A demo is coming. The rest is pointless. Does anybody remember the crap Epic put fans through with the UT2k3 demo? Every 2 weeks for 6 months they said it was coming in 2 weeks. Now that was painful.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 16 May 2011 - 05:54 AM

User is offline   Raziel 

View PostMad Max RW, on 16 May 2011 - 05:52 AM, said:

Every 2 weeks for 6 months they said it was coming in 2 weeks. Now that was painful.

Better than every 6 months for 14 years... Now THAT is painful.

Only a masochistic person would have continued following DNF after 2001.

User is offline   coheed82 

the whole fucking thing is painful, when i stupidly (yes i admit that) got borderlands thinking i had the demo in my hands then i went online and ended up @ gbx forums where i suddenly felt my chin drop to the floor with dissapointment. Oh this is all you get.. forums. mad max RW - no its not "just a demo"... it's the culmination of years of waiting on 3drealms... months @ gbx and now promises to release said demo. ya can't just expect people to go with the flow, this is duke nukem. its here now, well in june. So my argument is if the demo is done which in all respects should be by now if we are suposed to get it before everyone else then where is it? gbx said the psn issue wudnt stop the demo coming out So what could it be? some old prick officials @ 2k? randy pushing our buttons? i mean what can we do but speculate??
With 2 weeks left in May it's time to just spill the beans and for gbx to stop acting like the special forces, keeping everything so fucking top secret..!!

Ive never played pax, seen it on youtube seen other people playing it over me.. for fuck sake, we shouldve been first' hell tell me now, how many here wouldve liked that months ago free to download as a FAC member then this new demo when its done?? im sure its a round 70% pax + new versus the 30% who dont want the glitchy pax that was shown there.. *Fuck* that is still the game however you put it. And henceforth meaning i would've liked that as a way of getting through these tough months, better than sitting here in the forums @ gbx dont you think? i know i do. :)

To Raziel, yes they should've handled it better for us, but it would seem that gbx havent taken us into consideration @ all. just Profits. at the moment as it stands i dont trust anything they say. what the fuck is "soon"? could mean months, weeks, days whatever term you might think. for a guy who's been there since 3drealms you'd think randy pitchford would be on the side of the fans in making this happen by now. but hey as long as HE can play it who cares about us right?! Right.

:D :D :( :D

View Postcoheed82, on 16 May 2011 - 06:18 AM, said:

mad max RW - no its not "just a demo"... it's the culmination of years of waiting on 3drealms... months @ gbx and now promises to release said demo.

You don't seem to realize the people who have been waiting for years are a tiny minority compared to their target audience. You don't matter to them and never will. That's the reality of it. I'm surprised they so much as considered releasing the demo before the full game hits. Very few publishers do that anymore because they perceive demos as taking away from sales. Many kids these days (their target audience) have an attention span of about 5 minutes.

Randy can spin whatever bullshit he wants about respecting the fans. He's a PR spin doctor like the rest of them. Never trust those assholes.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 16 May 2011 - 06:45 AM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Gearbox has a history of incompetence

Do explain. They seem like a rather successful independent developer, running since the days of Half Life, making several well-known franchises, and making some fairly good ports of other third-party titles. Borderlands was also a huge success, and as a company they are financially sound. Outside of the handling of DNF's marketing/PR, Where does the incompetence part come in?

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 16 May 2011 - 07:06 AM

Halo PC and the first several months of Borderlands on PC to name just two. From my sources on the inside at the time of them developing the Halo PC port, the atmosphere there was miserable. The same people who botched that job are still in charge today. The incompetence comes from them totally bailing on the PC fanbase.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 16 May 2011 - 07:09 AM

• Auramancer

View PostMad Max RW, on 16 May 2011 - 07:06 AM, said:

Halo PC and the first several months of Borderlands on PC to name just two.

Halo PC had steep requirements, yes, but it was damn solid in comparison to most Console-To-PC ports, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Much more solid than say, Halo 2 Vista, which was developed by Hired Gun. IIRC, when Halo PC was being made, the people working on it were trainees at the time, so I can understand if it wasn't perfect.

Now, Borderlands on PC is still better than the console releases (The controls are far better). Despite the menu issues, which I agree should have been resolved before release (Sucks having to navigate the menus with the arrow keys). Outside of that, the FOV issue is easy to work around for the most part.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 16 May 2011 - 07:14 AM

Is it only me, or anyone else expects such a video soon?

Posted Image

View PostStrikerMan780, on 16 May 2011 - 07:09 AM, said:

Halo PC had steep requirements, yes, but as a port it was damn solid and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Much more solid than say, Halo 2 Vista, which was developed by Hired Gun.

The requirements weren't steep, it was poorly made and rushed out. Fire the game up today and it's still ass.

Now, Borderlands on PC is still better than the console releases (The controls are far better). Despite the menu issues, which I agree should have been resolved before release. Outside of that, the FOV issue is easy to work around for the most part.

All of the fixes on PC were attributed to fans messing with the ini files, which should never be a requirement to play and Gearbox deserves no credit whatsoever. They also delivered a joke of a server browser by using Gamespy.

Note I'm not arguing about if the game itself was good or not. I had a lot of fun with Borderlands after tweaking the hell out of it. It depresses me to think of how much better and well populated the game would have been if they had cared at all about the PC version.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 16 May 2011 - 07:18 AM

Ahhh!! no that picture... it took me weeks to get over that..
and plus, i'd prefer randy to be upfront and honest from the first second of a video! not make a joke as a way to get out of it.
i was totally pissed with the handling of that video. :)

• Auramancer

View PostMad Max RW, on 16 May 2011 - 07:14 AM, said:

The requirements weren't steep, it was poorly made and rushed out. Fire the game up today and it's still ass.

I have the game, I still play it fairly often. It's not ass. Runs well, plays well, still looks half-decent, has a dev console unlike most ports, and the only thing I have to do is disable SLI for the game which seems to interfere with framerate(as it does with most older games anyway). Other than that, it's all fine.

They also delivered a joke of a server browser by using Gamespy.

Well, I generally don't care since I play with friends only anyway, but, I can understand why most didn't like Borderlands' server browser.
Outside of that, gamespy isn't necessarily a bad choice in all cases. It works excellent with a lot of other games. Though, I miss the Gamespy from the UT99/Turok 2 days.

View Postcoheed82, on 16 May 2011 - 07:19 AM, said:

Ahhh!! no that picture... it took me weeks to get over that..
and plus, i'd prefer randy to be upfront and honest from the first second of a video! not make a joke as a way to get out of it.
i was totally pissed with the handling of that video. :)

Grow a spine, some balls, and a sense of fuckin' humor please.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 16 May 2011 - 07:28 AM

User is offline   zwieback 

if you have problems with that video, you should maybe consult a doctor :)

This post has been edited by zwieback: 16 May 2011 - 07:38 AM

hahahaha.. yeah no worries then.
your not getting my point.. geez. cant even take a joke yourselfs .
i understand the joke, But i dont care to see that handled that way myself. why should we forever suck it up and just get over it?
will there ever be a time when we all including you striker & zwieback actually get pissed over this say if its delayed til 2089??
ahh sigh.. im just bored to be honest. im thinking hmm go to bed? play resident evil 5? hmm i dunno. id stay up all night if we had the demo.. Anyways.. good news is its gotta happen soon. by the 1st June i hope. :)

User is offline   randir14 

With LA Noire and Witcher 2 releasing tomorrow I don't think 2K/Gearbox will release the demo and risk having it overshadowed. I'm starting to think we won't get it until a week before release.

I predicted since the first delay at the end of march that after that delay is everything possible. Curious if June 3 for FAC demo will fit. If it will, I will cancel 100% my preorder.

User is offline   Middy 

You know, all im seeing here is a bunch of little 15 year olds crying about how they have been mistreated and deserve everything handed to them on a silver platter. Get a grip

We still have easily 24 days left for the demo to be released, im expecting it around 19/20th, One exclusive week for FAC members, then 2 weeks for public. Gearbox offered early access to fac members, ONLY EARLY ACCESS. They are not giving us the goddam world. Aslong as we recieve the demo before the public they are living up to their end of the bargain.

Secondly, any idiot that went out and payed money for the FAC acess code should have died in a sock. You got FAC from boarderlands ( Which is supposedly a good game in itself) and you get it from pre-ordering DNF from online retailers which is how I have mine. FAC benefits were never supposed to be amazing, just nice little bonus items for us members. Thats all.

All you people are so simple minded its unbelievable. You really think that the true hardcore lovers of duke would cry over not having the demo stupidly early? No. The true duke fans are all happy to wait because duke was dead in the water. We were never going to see a duke game again untill Gearbox came along and worked a deal out, every mature duke fan isnt crying on these forums like you children. They are sitting, watching for updates and living their life knowing that duke is back on track to coming into our lives once again.

The game is coming, stop crying, get a goddam job and get off your arse, the time will fly by, I work for 8 hours a day, 4 hours at the gym, and two hours travel between the two. My days fly by and you know what? Im just happy the games coming out, couldnt care less about the demo.

User is offline   Assblaster 

Maybe I'm just incredibly jaded after years of disappointment I immediately waved off the FAC nonsense like it was an annoying little bug. Gearbox has a history of incompetence, so none of this should be surprising to people who paid attention.

Again, it's only a demo. A demo is coming. The rest is pointless. Does anybody remember the crap Epic put fans through with the UT2k3 demo? Every 2 weeks for 6 months they said it was coming in 2 weeks. Now that was painful.

Shit do they even make UT games anymore? been years

View PostAssblaster, on 16 May 2011 - 01:09 PM, said:

Shit do they even make UT games anymore? been years

They did UT3 a few years back and **SURPRISE** it was a horrible console port. The re-released "Black" edition is fairly decent (I personally rate it higher than Quake 3), but the community pretty much abandoned it at launch. I'd love to see Epic return to the original Unreal, but we're more likely to see a watered down remake than a halfway decent successor.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 16 May 2011 - 01:16 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I think the demo should be 1 full level of the game. There are 25 levels in DNF, so letting us play 1 of those levels start to finish shouldn't be too much to ask. With the Duke Nukem 3D demo, you got to play 6 levels, a full third of the game.

User is offline   Alithinos 

I don't care which / how many levels the demo will have,just lets get it already!
Btw, I think that an announcement of the day and time the demo will come out some days before it comes would be a bad scenario.
It would be better if they just upload it and then announce it on their forums.
Because if they make an announcement days before,the traffic that will hit the servers when the demo actually is available,will be huge.
Anyway,I think we don't need any new trailers or viral mini games like the boob tube anymore.
People that would get interested in playing DNF already know what DNF is all about from past trailers.
We just need to get our hands to the actual game,that's all.
And I hope they will release the FAC demo ASAP,because if they release too late and the actual game is already out,the demo won't have a reason to exist.
We want the demo only to satisfy our hunger until the real game comes out.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Looks like gearbox are taking their time after all.

View PostDI-MeisterM, on 16 May 2011 - 09:15 AM, said:

I predicted since the first delay at the end of march that after that delay is everything possible. Curious if June 3 for FAC demo will fit. If it will, I will cancel 100% my preorder.

June 3rd is the official date for the demo now. Are you gonna follow through with that statement?

ok now ill shut up. i knew they'd make it 'almost' worthless.
1 week. wow.
better than nothing. but i guess we should finish it within a week? and just redo it over and ova :)
then the game on june 10. :D
and middy? GET OVA URSELF. we are allowed to say as we like. and im 29 not 15.
just wish they said the demo date ages ago. now i gotta wait all may. now i know that ill go and get back to duke3d & duke3d mapping. glad its finally here soon, june 3! then june 10!.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options