Duke4.net Forums: Gearbox are taking their time - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gearbox are taking their time

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Some things have to be said. Gearbox originally told us that DNF will be released early 2011, this then changed to the first half of 2011. Now they didn't give us a release date for a long time because they felt that we've already been jerked around enough and they wanted to wait until they could promise us a date that it would come. They finally gave us this date with a long, long overdue trailer. And then they couldn't even keep that promise, and moved the release to the middle of june. So now the game is being released at the absolute latest time possible that can still be considered the first half of 2011. That's for the game.

Now for the demo. They continually indicated that a demo will be released roughly a month before the game itself. Don't ask me to find proof, I'll admit it wasn't written in stone. So the original release dates went by, and we didn't get a demo. Both the 10th and 14th of may (one month before both the international and north american releases respectively) and we didn't get a demo. Then we find out that the FAC members have been asked what their console preference is, with a deadline to answer by may 15th. Now you'd think that as soon as may 15th was over, we'd get a demo. There shouldn't be anything holding them back from releasing a demo; they know what platforms the FAC members have, they've got that information. There shouldn't be much a problem physically making the demo given the time they've had. And now in Australia it's mid-late afternoon on may 16, a day after the deadline (I've checked and it's the 16th in america by now as well) and we still don't have a demo.

Why don't we have the demo? I'm literally puzzled. I have to say I'm pretty annoyed about this, I woke up this morning expecting the demo to already be out and ready for download, and that was 12 hours ago. I have to say I'm extremely disappointed in Gearbox that everything they're releasing for DNF, whether it's the reveal trailer, the game itself, and to some extent the demo, all seem to be constantly delayed. Everything I've said is true, and don't give me the crap about how we've been waiting 14 years for the game, so a little bit longer shouldn't matter. That was with 3D Realms. This is Gearbox, and they have the resources and the manpower, something 3DR lacked at least one of at any given time. So you'd think they'd be able to give us something that we can sink our teeth into while we wait for the game to come out. They're being very unprofessional.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 16 May 2011 - 01:37 AM

User is offline   Hank 

Ehhmm, good morning. It's like 02:45 hr in Texas. When they would upload all demo files? So, say Tuesday 17.05.2011 23:59hr in Australia time.

"When It's Done" isn't just a slogan... it's a living, breathing, entity.

User is offline   pjVgt 

Because PSN is still dead.

• Honored Donor

@ Hank: It doesn't matter when everyone's asleep. We have computers, it's a technological world. Gearbox could have set it so that the demo automatically became available at midnight, U.S time or whenever they felt appropriate. In fact it's even better if it becomes available when we're asleep, that way we can wake up and it'll feel like christmas morning Posted Image

Hmm I didn't know that about PSN. But that's really Sony's fault. I mean what if hypothetically every playstation suddenly stopped working, they wouldn't postpone the release of DNF for the other two platforms.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 15 May 2011 - 11:51 PM

User is offline   coheed82 

your right Micky C, i agree with you wholeheartedly.
this is taking forever. id really like to play the heck out of our demo til the 10th June. but everyday that passes is another day without our game. ive got other games, but dont they realise that they dont stand up to the duke & that we are sick of just getting by playing portal, halo, farcry whatever...
having this will be the biggest best day of my life so far.. exept for some real life things that of course are more important i.e my girlfriend and our child. But nothing we say will make it come faster, whats left to do? we all go dark and forget a demo sice gbx wont deliver? hell no, were here all day and night waiting for this to happen and they are holding back why??
Coz the psn isnt back up i bet... so yeah the hackers better run and hide.. this is beyond unfair. this is bs...

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMicky C, on 15 May 2011 - 11:49 PM, said:

Hmm I didn't know that about PSN. But that's really Sony's fault. I mean what if hypothetically every playstation suddenly stopped working, they wouldn't postpone the release of DNF for the other two platforms.

Why is this Sony's fault?
http://www.bloomberg...com-server.html

If every playstation stops working I'll will get pissed, my best games use that platform!

View PostHank, on 16 May 2011 - 12:04 AM, said:

Why is this Sony's fault?
http://www.bloomberg...com-server.html

If every playstation stops working I'll will get pissed, my best games use that platform!

It was part of sony's fault, that's why they're giving free games.

User is offline   ch108 

I'm probably wrong but do you think they've delayed the real demo because the alternative demo was leaked?

got to say this got me a bit worried too. No demo, its mid may, closely a month away from full version release. I mean no offense but releasing a demo at time of the release fucks over the FAC members and makes the demo somewhat moot, which gets me to fearing another delay may come. Because of course randy said before christmas 2011 in one of the interviews the game is to be released.

View Postch108, on 16 May 2011 - 01:17 AM, said:

I'm probably wrong but do you think they've delayed the real demo because the alternative demo was leaked?

Honestly ?
No, i think that isn't holding them back.

The leaked demo is a piece of sh!t, only the first level is playable.

got to say this got me a bit worried too. No demo, its mid may, closely a month away from full version release. I mean no offense but releasing a demo at time of the release fucks over the FAC members and makes the demo somewhat moot, which gets me to fearing another delay may come. Because of course randy said before christmas 2011 in one of the interviews the game is to be released.

That was before they set a release date, infact, i think that it was around october that they told us it will be released before Christmas 2011.
I don't have any fear that it will get delayed again, the waiting time for the demo is killing me already.

Delayed release also means delayed demo.

This post has been edited by themaniacboy: 16 May 2011 - 01:22 AM

User is offline   zwieback 

stop the conspiracy theories about the leaked demo already, would you? :)
it's a demo, no influence at all.

User is offline   ch108 

View Postduke4everman, on 16 May 2011 - 01:18 AM, said:

I don't think the full release will be delayed again :) But they really need to get that demo out there, to win back confidence from some of the fans who are unsure about the game.

• Honored Donor

View Postch108, on 16 May 2011 - 01:17 AM, said:

If anything they'd get the demo out faster to stop fans from restorting to get their DNF fix from sniffing around for leaked videos and the like. When Crysis 2 was leaked, Cryteck hit us hard and fast with all sorts of videos and things.

View Postzwieback, on 16 May 2011 - 01:21 AM, said:

stop the conspiracy theories about the leaked demo already, would you? :)
it's a demo, no influence at all.

not to be rude but why do you think that?

STILL NOTHING.. WHATS NEW.
we are all set up to get nothing tonight, tomorrow, the day after that and the day after that.. Repeat...
in all the randy videos i just hear him say the same things, "soon" "duke's done this and that" "funhouse mirror refletion of our world" on & on.HOWS ABOUT a new one with him looking into the camera and saying "Guys.. sorry the demo has been taking so long, but here you go weve sent you emails for your demo now so enjoy:"..................................

I kinda hate randy. He is annoying as hell.

User is offline   Hank 

http://www.vg247.com...nearly-upon-us/

It says Gearbox will make a date announcement, first. So, email reply deadline was the 15th. - Email to be checked? Announcement maybe today 16th or tomorrow 17th Texas timezone. That means, never mind waiting for an email, it will be a normal announcement to the First Clubbers and the rest of the gaming world :)

• Honored Donor

Hold on, so now we're not waiting for the demo, we're waiting for a date to be announced for when we'd get the demo? >:)

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMicky C, on 16 May 2011 - 03:00 AM, said:

Hold on, so now we're not waiting for the demo, we're waiting for a date to be announced for when we'd get the demo? >:D

Yep. Also not we. I'm not a member. You and your fellow club members. My Borderland never worked, and I don't do pre ordering. So my wait is longer then yours. :)

yeah thats probably their fucking surprise "demo out on the -- -- --"... WOWEFUKNDOO.
weve already been waiting, at this point them saying a date is so fukn overdue. just give us the demo. THAT should be the surprise.
surely you can imagine it, they have all the $$$ that they could need at the moment so they go to work, play the game and get paid for it or not, doesnt matter coz the demo's ready they just think we dont deserve it.. esp us FAC GUYS WHO PAID GOOD $$$...

User is offline   Twig 

View PostMicky C, on 16 May 2011 - 03:00 AM, said:

Hold on, so now we're not waiting for the demo, we're waiting for a date to be announced for when we'd get the demo? >:)

Oh my, are all duke fans such whiners? The only thing that they promised for sure was 3rd may, they had to reschedule it and they apologized. I don't understand why you people feel so entitled, making a game is not easy work, it's not on an indie scale (if you want to make it a good game, that is) and it sure as hell is not on Gearbox's scale. They are working hard, all you have to do is wait.

And Jhect? "I kinda hate Randy. He s annoying as hell"? Good work maturing up the gaming community! It's not like our actions and word define the reception of our group or anything...

I hope you lot realize you behave like spoiled brats.

fucking good. were sick of the wait.. is that so hard to get?
or do i have to snap ya like a ****.
we are loyal. but this is a joke.
a joke on the people who spent cash for this demo. usually you pay for something YOU FUCKING GET IT!!

User is offline   Twig 

View Postcoheed82, on 16 May 2011 - 03:11 AM, said:

FAC GUYS WHO PAID GOOD $$$...

Paying for a public demo is your own personal tragedy. Sorry, but it is. At which point did you actually think it's reasonable to buy a freepublic demo? You know, I got a few bridges to sell to you also, if you are so inclined and feel that you enough money for such endeavors.

User is offline   Engel220 

View PostTwig, on 16 May 2011 - 03:24 AM, said:

Paying for a public demo is your own personal tragedy. Sorry, but it is. At which point did you actually think it's reasonable to buy a freepublic demo? You know, I got a few bridges to sell to you also, if you are so inclined and feel that you enough money for such endeavors.

Yup, if you paid money for the Borderlands GOTY just for the code then that's your loss. There were and still are many cheaper or even free legal alternatives to get a code, I got mine from a friend who didn't want his and that puts me in an odd position in terms of the demo, but paying money or not doesn't give anyone more rights. Just be happy the game's coming, the demo is just a final confirmation of its arrival for most people as well as a promotional tool.

This post has been edited by Engel220: 16 May 2011 - 03:39 AM

• Honored Donor

Maybe it was a good thing that 3D Realms never told us what media et cetera they were going to release until they released it.

User is offline   ch108 

View PostMicky C, on 16 May 2011 - 04:07 AM, said:

Maybe it was a good thing that 3D Realms never told us what media et cetera they were going to release until they released it.

I can see that approach working for a while "If we don't release any media no one will scrutinise it".

But I prefer what Gearbox is doing now to what was happening before with 3DRealms.

• Honored Donor

It's also that they didn't get our hopes up. If they didn't give us anything then we didn't expect anything. But with Gearbox, they've keep on telling us we're going to get a demo soon, and it always feels around the corner, but it never seems to come any closer.

User is offline   ch108 

View PostMicky C, on 16 May 2011 - 05:01 AM, said:

It's also that they didn't get our hopes up. If they didn't give us anything then we didn't expect anything. But with Gearbox, they've keep on telling us we're going to get a demo soon, and it always feels around the corner, but it never seems to come any closer.

I'd agree with that too, there does seem to be a fair amount of cock teasing regarding the demo, it's not nice to be lead on.

Atleast DNF is not as mysterious as it was when 3DRealms had their hands on it.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options