Duke4.net Forums: DNF Image analysis - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNF Image analysis

View PostMartin, on 26 May 2011 - 11:17 PM, said:

Again with the "my opinion = fact". Not so. IN YOUR OPINION the current ripper looks worse. Not everyone thinks that. You are not the arbiter of facts.

Does it look like I was talking about somebody else's opinion other than mine?
It's obviously my opinion since I was the one to state that opinion.
I am curious to know at which point have I ever claimed that what I said about those pictures is a generally accepted fact.
Seems I struck a nerve there but not because I intended to do so but because you are quite possibly frustrated irl or you just hate people that have balls to criticize things...
Are you frustrated/trolling or are you the kind of person that absolutely needs to see the " in my personal opinion / IMO" text in every single topic, just so that your brain can process that what you are reading is in fact somebody else's opinion and not a generally accepted fact?

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 28 May 2011 - 04:22 AM

The Ripper discussion reminds me of the one I had with Daikatana.

Shotcycler (Deathmatch-Demo) | Shotcycler (Final Retail)

Posted Image Posted Image

The good thing is that it is possible to "mod" it back, maybe it will be the same with DNF.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

That is quite a difference. It's been a long time since I played Daikatana, I totally forgot what some of the stuff in that game even looked like. I wouldn't bet on it in DNF's case. Its not even likely those old assets even exist anymore. That was back in 2007/2008 and things have been changed a lot since then. Not to mention the people who worked on those meshes probably went on to other companies... It'll just remain locked in some vault beneath 3D Realms, along with the older builds of the game.
There are a lot of things in DNF that I didn't quite like when Gearbox first re-announced it. I wasn't too keen on what they had done with Duke's look, feeling they had made his attire too much of a super hero costume, with matching gloves and stuff... Because that's not really how I saw Duke at all. I saw him as just some ego-pumped dude who wore a wife beater and jeans because it was comfortable, and some shades because he thought they looked cool. Hence the miner's joke about "you think those sun glasses make ya look cool or sumtin?" Being so hilarious.

I do admit we all often go overboard with the nitpickery, but Duke Nukem Forever is a special case, and in defense of the nitpickers I think it all comes back to simply wanting the game to be the best experience possible. Wanting perfection... But as 3D Realms showed us, you can't achieve perfection. Its just impossible. One of my biggest disappointments is Duke's Bike has been cut from DNF. It's nowhere in the game. Not to mention the fantastic night vista's of Las Vegas. Having just visited there in February/March I can say... Its an awesome sight. Granted, it is very interesting to see Vegas in the daylight when you fly in there, too.

Someone should totally do a comparison thread from the 1998/2001/present version of DNF to see just what ended up remaining in, and what/how things have changed. It'd be a great way to celebrate the release and to remember everything that came before across the years. Posted Image

View PostDI-MeisterM, on 28 May 2011 - 04:27 AM, said:

The Ripper discussion reminds me of the one I had with Daikatana.

Shotcycler (Deathmatch-Demo) | Shotcycler (Final Retail)

Posted Image Posted Image

The good thing is that it is possible to "mod" it back, maybe it will be the same with DNF.

The problem is that the model is likely to be different. With the Daikatana images you posted, it was the same model with a different skin, making replacing it easy. The old and new Ripper models look different, meaning that easily swapping them would be impossible.

User is offline   Johnny 

George Broussard has said many years back, that he want have realistic water in DNF. It was a problem for some Games since 1997 to constitute water in Games. Now we can see the water in the pools of the PAX-Demo from 2010 looks very fantastic, i find. He has made it!

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 28 May 2011 - 07:19 AM, said:

One of my biggest disappointments is Duke's Bike has been cut from DNF. It's nowhere in the game. Not to mention the fantastic night vista's of Las Vegas.

That's got nothing to do with nitpicking and seeking perfection, removing Duke's Harley and especially the nighttime scenes is utter lunacy on the part of 3DR/Triptych/Gearbox.

View PostX-Vector, on 31 May 2011 - 08:02 AM, said:

That's got nothing to do with nitpicking and seeking perfection, removing Duke's Harley and especially the nighttime scenes is utter lunacy on the part of 3DR/Triptych/Gearbox.

I am in absolute agreement with you.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 31 May 2011 - 08:04 AM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I believe it has nothing to do with lunacy and more with performance on PC and Consoles. Since nighttime scenarios with plenty of lights (specially in Las Vegas!) can decrease perfomance a lot.

View PostDavoX, on 31 May 2011 - 08:42 AM, said:

I believe it has nothing to do with lunacy and more with performance on PC and Consoles. Since nighttime scenarios with plenty of lights (specially in Las Vegas!) can decrease perfomance a lot.

...As much as I feel the "Lack of Night Vegas" thing is a rather...unimportant point, I can't help but smell bullshit when I read this, Davo. A PC with decent specs could fully well handle night Vegas without problems if they weren't going overboard with it. Console-wise, DNF isn't running on super high-end technology here. They could have optimized the game to the point where they could have had 2 night Vegases. Ok not really, but you see the point I'm trying to make. But where was it confirmed that DNF doesn't still have the Harley? The most they've said regarding vehicles is that the Mighty Foot monster truck isn't the only one. That seems like it'd give more evidence to the Harley still being in.

View PostDavoX, on 31 May 2011 - 08:42 AM, said:

I believe it has nothing to do with lunacy and more with performance on Consoles. Since nighttime scenarios with plenty of lights (specially in Las Vegas!) can decrease perfomance a lot.

There, I've fixed that for you.

View PostMr.Deviance, on 31 May 2011 - 09:05 AM, said:

There, I've fixed that for you.

Haha.

I think your opinion here is wrong, if PC comes first, than why did they remove Vegas at night ?
Not because of the performance, no, it must have been something else.

But is it confirmed that we won't have a level with Vegas in night ?

View Postthemaniacboy, on 31 May 2011 - 11:11 AM, said:

Haha.

I think your opinion here is wrong, if PC comes first, than why did they remove Vegas at night ?
Not because of the performance, no, it must have been something else.

But is it confirmed that we won't have a level with Vegas in night ?

My opinion is wrong? How so? I removed the word "pc" from his post because he said that those things were removed because of memory limitations of consoles and pc.
I removed pc because obviously the pc could have rendered those removed things without a problem.
If gearbox cut down anything from the game because of performance issues, then that wasn't because of pc it was because of consoles...

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 28 May 2011 - 07:19 AM, said:

(...)One of my biggest disappointments [size=2]is Duke's Bike has been cut from DNF. It's nowhere in the game. Not to mention the fantastic night vista's of Las Vegas.(...)

I know exactely what you mean... :-( I just loved that scene in the trailer.

unfortunately the things that look way better in the previous footages are much bigger than simple things like eye colors and glove "skins".

View Postthemaniacboy, on 31 May 2011 - 11:11 AM, said:

(...) But is it confirmed that we won't have a level with Vegas in night ?

Posted Image
No, it isn't. And I hope we'll have some night scenarios too, it's not "NFS Underground" or "Most Wanted" with only days or night stages.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 31 May 2011 - 02:17 PM

User is offline   bm85 

didn't know they're taking out the vegas night stuff, where did you hear that?

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

They didn't take vegas out. Just the same scenarios but on daylight.

Go to dukenukemforever.com and go to the podcasts that talk about the world in DNF.

It was in one of the DNF podcasts. Probably the Atmosphere one.

User is offline   Fox Mulder 

I believe Duke's Harley it's still in. I want to believe.

User is offline   randir14 

^ does that belief come from your leaked info? :angry:

View Postrandir14, on 31 May 2011 - 05:11 PM, said:

^ does that belief come from your leaked info? :blink:

Spoiler

User is offline   Engel220 

View PostFox Mulder, on 31 May 2011 - 05:36 PM, said:

Spoiler

Your underground knowledge is both annoying and addictive. :angry:

View PostEngel220, on 31 May 2011 - 11:42 PM, said:

Your underground knowledge is both annoying and addictive. :angry:

I know. Working for the Federal Bureau of Spoileage it's not an easy job.

View PostFox Mulder, on 01 June 2011 - 12:22 AM, said:

I know. Working for the Federal Bureau of Spoileage it's not an easy job.

I don't mind, I wanna know more about the damn game haha.

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostKristian Joensen, on 31 May 2011 - 04:15 PM, said:

It was in one of the DNF podcasts. Probably the Atmosphere one.

Correct: http://dukewatch.blo...battlelord.html

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostX-Vector, on 01 June 2011 - 02:43 AM, said:

Damn, I missed that. O_O

From the article:

As well you’ll also get to see the outside and there was actually a little bit of fighting going on between what to show as far as the exterior of Vegas: should it be at night or should it be during the day? And we felt it actually looked better during the day because we could get better results from the way it looked ‘cause at night you just don’t see as much. And I know that people want to see Vegas at night, but we kind of went the other route with that.

THAT'S BULLSHIT!!!! :angry:

For the "FBS" agent, if I were you I'd get me to accept the harsh reality: there is no bike in the game.
I already lost my hopes on that (I think I read somewhere they confirmed it's not in DNF anymore).

User is offline   zwieback 

there you have it. that's the outcome of the whiners that said that it looks like doom3 :angry: think about it.. it actually could be that it has something to do with that :blink:

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I think that the reason why we didn't end up with a night time vegas is to do with time constraints as much as anything else. They were on a tight schedule, and as I'd stated in the OP of another thread, they'd already pushed back the release date as far as possible, and it couldn't be pushed any further. It's simply that it would have taken extra time to add lights all over vegas and to make it look good, and it was faster to just put sunlight everywhere and call it a day.

As for the other reasons they gave, such as being able to see more during the day, it sounds as if there's not all that much in there (relatively speaking) so what they do have they want to make sure people see. As for the atmosphere, that sounds like something they're trying to convince themselves of as much as they're trying to convince us. Of course at the end of the day (no pun intended) it doesn't matter what the lighting conditions are, the game will still be fun.

I remember that Deviance mentioned something about Pigs not having red eyes a short while back, this is from the launch trailer.

Posted Image

Granted, you can't see them from a mile away, but they're there.

View PostEngel220, on 02 June 2011 - 10:51 AM, said:

I remember that Deviance mentioned something about Pigs not having red eyes a short while back, this is from the launch trailer.

Posted Image

Granted, you can't see them from a mile away, but they're there.

Awesome, just awesome.

Guest_Sance231_*

View PostMicky C, on 01 June 2011 - 04:37 AM, said:

I think that the reason why we didn't end up with a night time vegas is to do with time constraints as much as anything else. They were on a tight schedule, and as I'd stated in the OP of another thread, they'd already pushed back the release date as far as possible, and it couldn't be pushed any further. It's simply that it would have taken extra time to add lights all over vegas and to make it look good, and it was faster to just put sunlight everywhere and call it a day.

As for the other reasons they gave, such as being able to see more during the day, it sounds as if there's not all that much in there (relatively speaking) so what they do have they want to make sure people see. As for the atmosphere, that sounds like something they're trying to convince themselves of as much as they're trying to convince us. Of course at the end of the day (no pun intended) it doesn't matter what the lighting conditions are, the game will still be fun.

I don't believe that's the case. Just think about it, there are a lot more possibilities that you can explore if Vegas is in daylight: for example I don't think that it would be an awesome way to fight an alien mothership at night.

User is offline   N64 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options