Duke4.net Forums: DNF has been modified to allow you to carry all the weapons at once! - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNF has been modified to allow you to carry all the weapons at once!

User is offline   DN4EVR 

View PostDavoX, on 20 May 2011 - 08:32 PM, said:

It's really simple. Allweaponsavailable=true.

The hard part is not fucking up the whole game's balance.
To me, i'd rather play it vanilla for several reasons:

1. It's how the game was intended/designed.....so I do it to play the true DNF experience first time around.

2. As you said, having more weapons will most likely make the game too easy....with the exception of maybe hardest difficulty and all spawning on maximum.

3. Because it'll be a challenge.

Heck, even with two weapon limit I can just drop weapons/pile them where I want and just swap in/out as needed in a hub area i've setup.

User is offline   WedgeBob 

Yeah, this is true... We'll almost need to have the EDuke32 team do double duty and get on top of getting mods done for DNF right when it comes out to make sure that we have Duke the way he was meant to be in this game. It's going to be no easy task, but I'm pretty sure that if we gather our knowledge together, and have a good team working on the mod, we can turn this game around. I'm having a lot of faith in this.

At least with the guys overseas, they'll have 3 - 4 extra days to come up with something before the rest of the team from the USA and Canada will join in on the mod, if one becomes necessary. So I'm sure something will come about.

This post has been edited by WedgeBob: 05 June 2011 - 03:39 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I imagine it would be pretty simple to do stuff like re-construct the original version of the Chaingun (the one we saw in the JH show). The problem is, that the models are all encrypted. You can mess with the videos (they are bink files), the ini files and (I think) the sounds. but as yet we can't unlock the models. The maps are unencrypted, but I don't know if anyone has tried to load a duke map into unrealed to see if it works. I know sod-all about editing in unreal, or I'd have given it a go.

" The problem is, that the models are all encrypted."

Are you sure about that? The .dat files are not encrypted if that is what you are thinking:

http://gbxforums.gea...72&postcount=26

By the way that is a former Human Head programmer writing that.

• Polymancer

View PostKristian Joensen, on 05 June 2011 - 06:08 AM, said:

Are you sure about that? The .dat files are not encrypted if that is what you are thinking:

That worked! Well, it unpacked the dat file. Searching for a MSH importer now... :(

I guess I'm too used to working with 10 year old games!

Well he only said it was a straightforward file format, that doesn't mean it is a standard file format. It could be created by 3DR. But good luck anyway!

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Anyway to get at the sound files then? I'd love to do a "Classic" sound pack for the weapons and stuff.

• Polymancer

That version of Noesis will unpack both the model and sound files. :( <("Who am I fighting, the Fat Star Wars Kid?" )
Unfortunately, though the models are unpacked in a msh format (it's a real format, used by the free 'Orbiter' game). Nothing that will supposedly read msh files will read these. The guy that Kristian linked to says he is going to release some kind of re-packer, so we may just be able to get something working.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 05 June 2011 - 09:41 AM

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

Incidentally, I wrote an Orbiter MSH importer for Blender about 5 years ago. Just make sure it's the right 'MSH', Orbiter's is an ASCII format.

http://sourceforge.n...ter-import-0.3/

From what I can tell using a hex editor the .MSH files are certainly not ASCII files.

Edit:

In other words this is probably another file format using the same extension as the Orbiter file type.

LOL...yeah, it almost looks like the 3D models (especially the weapons) were made in MilkShape or something, because they certainly don't look like they were made in Maya, 3ds Max, or Houdini, or any of the more modern ones.

This post has been edited by WedgeBob: 05 June 2011 - 11:20 AM

Ehhm, .MSH is DNF's internal format those are most certainly done in something like 3DS Max and then exported to .MSH. In fact we know that many of the artists at 3DR used 3DS Max. Z - Brush was used for high poly modeling.

• Polymancer

Helixhorned - I didn't know it was your importer! But yes, I already downloaded that. I've also downloaded something called '3dobjectconverter' that supposedly reads .msh files. no joy there either. It looks like they tweaked the file format somehow.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

It's even more likely that it's an entirely unrelated format just having the same (not very specific) extension. Maybe there's some magic string inside the file that can give a clue?

User is offline   Kalcor 

Yeah, I think .msh is their own custom mesh format, at least for the skeletal meshes. It could be related to that meqon physics engine. Everywhere in Unreal where it would normally have a SkeletalMesh reference they've used a DukeMesh. As for the static meshes, those might be in a conventional Unreal format. That Noesis tool doesn't seem to be able to open the static meshes .dat yet.

The maps (.dnf) report their version as Unreal 156, which is somewhere around UT2004. They contain non-standard things like patch meshes. I don't think there is any chance of creating custom maps without DukeEd.

The textures are in dds format and the materials support diffuse maps, normal maps, specular maps. There are normal maps for the terrain textures from Highway Battle pt2 although, strangely, it didn't look normal mapped on my PC. Once I got in to the cave bit where there is lots of specular it looked fine.

• Polymancer

I opened it up in a hex editor and the first line is in English and gives the path to a skl (skeleton) file. Apart from that, it's all code.

The other thing, is that, as it's still Unreal at heart, it might accept the usuall Unreal model formats (ASE, etc). So if we can't edit the existing models, we could theoretically just replace them with standard formats that (should) work in the game.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 05 June 2011 - 01:29 PM

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostWedgeBob, on 05 June 2011 - 03:32 AM, said:

Yeah, this is true... We'll almost need to have the EDuke32 team do double duty and get on top of getting mods done for DNF right when it comes out to make sure that we have Duke the way he was meant to be in this game. It's going to be no easy task, but I'm pretty sure that if we gather our knowledge together, and have a good team working on the mod, we can turn this game around. I'm having a lot of faith in this.

At least with the guys overseas, they'll have 3 - 4 extra days to come up with something before the rest of the team from the USA and Canada will join in on the mod, if one becomes necessary. So I'm sure something will come about.

This gets me really excited. We need to start our own "DNF HRP" and "DNF Plus" as soon as possible.

View PostKristian Joensen, on 05 June 2011 - 06:08 AM, said:

Thank you for sharing that.

I just want to say that if you guys get a project started you'll have the full support of this website at all times, and all the resources that we could possibly offer in order to assist with the collaboration.

User is offline   Laokin 

View PostYatta, on 05 June 2011 - 08:19 PM, said:

This gets me really excited. We need to start our own "DNF HRP" and "DNF Plus" as soon as possible.

Thank you for sharing that.

I just want to say that if you guys get a project started you'll have the full support of this website at all times, and all the resources that we could possibly offer in order to assist with the collaboration.

I don't think a mod is required to get the inventory working...

What do you propose "dninventory" does...

I'm sure it gives you the Jace Hall inventory... doesn't work in the demo, but I suppose it's confirmed in the full version as per the front page.

User is offline   trustn0! 

Bit perplexed over the design decision for 2 weapons at a time
I dont know.I understand that its because of the limitations of the controller but there could have been a way to do it properly
Like say hold down square which brings up a weapon menu then use the right analog stick to select weapon(without affecting the camera)

• Polymancer

Thanks to the gracious Rich Whitehouse and Senor Casaroja, we now have a new Noesis v3.27.

With which, you can do this....
Posted Image

He's still having some problems with textures, but it's getting there!

Woow that looks awesome.
Yeah we're almost there.

If we're lucky or unlucky, depends on the people, the mods can start on the 10th of june.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Someone needs to throw that model into Polymer! :(

User is offline   kpl 

My wish list for the first mod that cleans up some of the crappy design decisions that were in the demo:

No sprinting, Duke shouldn't ever run out of steam. "always run" option.
Ability to carry all weapons at once.
maybe make Duke jump a bit higher?

Some of the sounds are way worse than in the original Duke3D,
Shinker sounds horrible now, and when you shrink an enemy
you don't hear that classic "shrinking down to size" sound.
The pigcops should make the classic squeal sound when they die.
The jetpack sound is to quiet, you can hardly tell when it's turned on.
would be nice to have some classic sound pak or something.

Obviously the regenerating health thing is really bad but I don't know
how that could be changed without changing the levels also.
Maybe scripts that turn some of the many weapons laying around
in the levels into med kits and/or ammo kits. You wouldn't need all those
weapons laying around if you could just carry them all at the same time.
The freeze gun should bounce ice balls around corners like the original weapon.
The new weapon is almost worthless, you have to be right on top if the target for
it to be effective.

The shrinker model is pretty cheesy too, it looks like a left over model from Portal 2 or
something. It doesn't fit the style of a Duke Nukem game if you ask me. I'd love to see
it replaced with something that looks closer to the original, or even the one that was
in the 2001 trailer.

I mostly want these changes for Multiplayer, but they would be pretty cool for single player
as well. Maybe we'll get lucky and some of these things will already be part of the multiplayer mode.

User is offline   RenzAngelz 

PM me a link please :(

• Polymancer

If you meant Noesis, its here...

http://oasis.xentax....ntent=downloads

I posted a link to the app in the previous post, but the link colour is just about the same as the text colour.

User is offline   Fox Mulder 

...argh

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 07 June 2011 - 07:59 AM, said:

Someone needs to throw that model into Polymer! :dukecry:

Hahaha...nice! That would look a heck of a lot better than the current Cycloid Emperor model. Just make sure you get some normalmapped texturing from Photoshop, then you'll be all set.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Ah don't knock it too much. The model that's there now isn't too bad at all.

Heh...okay.

Anyway, was that Blender model a remake of DNF's Cycloid Emperor, per chance? I know that the DNF version was certainly fancier than the one from EDuke32, or so I think...I'll have to play E3L9 again to verify this.

• Polymancer

That was the Cycloid from DNF, exported from the demo by noesis, then imported into Blender.

I'm actually working on a new Cycloid that will hopefully look next-gen, but look more like the traditional critter.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options