Duke4.net Forums: My Duke Symbol Bumper I'm working on - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My Duke Symbol Bumper I'm working on  "Work In Progress! looking for suggestions..."

User is offline   ferran275 

So I'm getting ready to cut a new reel together and I needed some generic motion graphics to throw into the mix. I quickly threw together this new Duke symbol bumper, its only five seconds long at the moment and I haven't added sound effects yet, but I plan on continuing to work on it so any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Have you ever had any wishes for this bumper? let me know! and i'll try and make it happen. if you look close, you'll see the nuke symbol starts off pretty clean and gets dirtier when the bomb goes off. I started playing with shatter type effects to make it look like it was crumbling but it came off kind of cheesy...

Tell me what you think!

I'm going for super professional here so the sky is the limit.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Very nice! It is a bit weird that the scratches just 'appear' on the symbol after the explosion. It needs a little more in that department, but that's the only thing I can nitpick really....

When you finish it'd be sweet if this was included in the HRP to replace the ANM intro as soon as the ANM file format can get a replacement in EDuke32.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 12 May 2011 - 10:03 AM, said:

Very nice! It is a bit weird that the scratches just 'appear' on the symbol after the explosion. It needs a little more in that department, but that's the only thing I can nitpick really....

When you finish it'd be sweet if this was included in the HRP to replace the ANM intro as soon as the ANM file format can get a replacement in EDuke32.

Thanks man, I think, now that I've seen it 100 times, that the explosion isn't 'explosion-y' enough, I think sound effects will fix this, but I dunno, it needs something... and yeah the scratches appearing that way needs to go, I'm working on a solution to that, mybe to symbol should get darker first... hmm... work continues ;)

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

Obliterate the whole symbol and while zooming in, have the pieces fly towards the camera with sparks, fire and deep explosion sound.

Or maybe a real missile, coming in from behind camera, with smoke trail, hitting the symbol before explosion.

And end it with bare tits.

View PostSplat, on 12 May 2011 - 10:38 AM, said:

Obliterate the whole symbol and while zooming in, have the pieces fly towards the camera with sparks, fire and deep explosion sound.

Or maybe a real missile, coming in from behind camera, with smoke trail, hitting the symbol before explosion.

And end it with bare tits.

HAHA yes! bare tits just there for no reason, love it!!! I was playing with some smoke trails looked a little corny, if toned down might look pretty decent, thanks for the suggestion ;)

Here's my next version, added a little more 'oomph' to the explosion, and a kind of 'trigger'. a little move at the end and a gradient. a couple of other small things.

It'd be awesome if someone used this for an HD remake or anything really, I would really feel honored, still needs a lot more work though...

Looks really awesome, keep it up.

• The Sarien Encounter

Sweet.

User is offline   Hank 

View Postferran275, on 12 May 2011 - 11:58 AM, said:

Here's my next version, added a little more 'oomph' to the explosion, and a kind of 'trigger'. a little move at the end and a gradient. a couple of other small things.

No words! Posted Image

What editor do you use? Just wondering.

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

Looks fantastic so far! I can't wait to see (hear, rather) what you come up with for sound effects. Personally I'd go with a mushroom cloud explosion. ;) Still, keep up the great work.

Nice work! Are you making this for the HRP?

View PostHank, on 12 May 2011 - 04:56 PM, said:

No words! Posted Image

What editor do you use? Just wondering.

I'm using After Effects CS5

View PostSpirrwell, on 12 May 2011 - 06:46 PM, said:

Looks fantastic so far! I can't wait to see (hear, rather) what you come up with for sound effects. Personally I'd go with a mushroom cloud explosion. ;) Still, keep up the great work.

The sound will add IMMENSELY to the piece overall, I want to lock the fx before I worry about that though. I will try a mushroom cloud thrown in there, probably will work ;)

View PostMr.Deviance, on 12 May 2011 - 08:42 PM, said:

Nice work! Are you making this for the HRP?

Thanks! I'm making this for the whole community to do whatever the heck they want to do with it, I hope someone uses it once its done :o

The WIP continues! I should have another comp up soon, hoping to get done before the demo drops because my time will be sent elsewhere once that happens ;)

Should be HRP stuff indeed! It's fucking awesome. I like the explosion better in the second one. But i don't like that it turns all dark/black. Should be a mix of both ;)

• The Sarien Encounter

I like the lighting change. It's very dynamic and dramatic. Although it does seem strange that everything goes dark just at the explosion. It makes sense for the symbol to go dark seeing as the explosion is behind it but maybe the wall behind that can light up when that happens? If there is a wall behind it. It kind of looks like it as the light is moving at the beginning. And then after the explosion there could just not be a wall....due to the explosion. It also does seem kind of weird now with the bigger explosion to have the smaller fire bits burning away in front of the bigger explosion. They look more obviously like layers. I'm not sure what could be done about that, though.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 13 May 2011 - 04:49 AM

Actually it does make sense that it goes black just before the explosion. Because the light source goes behind the nuke sign. But it just looks wrong for some reason.

• tile 1018

Well, looking at your work so far, I'm sure you'll be done before the demo. Considering the email the FAC members got, we won't hear anything until after the deadline to re-confirm what system they'll be using, so sometime after May 15th. Anyway, I'd love to see this for the HRP, but I doubt that we will for a while. I know a few people have been wanting the ability to use video files instead of the standard anm for a while now. Unless there was some real prodding towards the eduke32 team that this is something people want, I doubt it would happen.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 13 May 2011 - 04:47 AM, said:

I like the lighting change. It's very dynamic and dramatic. Although it does seem strange that everything goes dark just at the explosion. It makes sense for the symbol to go dark seeing as the explosion is behind it but maybe the wall behind that can light up when that happens? If there is a wall behind it. It kind of looks like it as the light is moving at the beginning. And then after the explosion there could just not be a wall....due to the explosion. It also does seem kind of weird now with the bigger explosion to have the smaller fire bits burning away in front of the bigger explosion. They look more obviously like layers. I'm not sure what could be done about that, though.

View PostJhect, on 13 May 2011 - 04:52 AM, said:

Actually it does make sense that it goes black just before the explosion. Because the light source goes behind the nuke sign. But it just looks wrong for some reason.

I like how dramatic it is too but I see what you guys are saying, I think the timing is a bit off and that is what is making it look funky. The light source needs to be less at first, as if its only coming from the 'missile' because just that missile can't obviously create that much light that the whole symbol is lit up. Once that's fixed it will probably be a whole lot more believable when it goes totally dark when it flies behind. The symbol silhouetting against the fire I still am in love with so it'll stay for now ;) Also I'll try and blend those explosions together a bit better, maybe even take some out, that fireball I added really says a lot! If you notice right at the end there is a gradient behind the symbol, my throwback to the original D3D bumper, but I don't really like it right now, maybe if it lights up WITH the explosion...

lol, sorry, I'm without my computer right now and thinking out loud ;)

• The Sarien Encounter

Good points. Can't wait to see your next rendition.

And I would totally love the ability to replace ANM's with videos.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 13 May 2011 - 05:58 AM, said:

Good points. Can't wait to see your next rendition.

And I would totally love the ability to replace ANM's with videos.

someone needs to school me on these ANM's. What are they? and why can't a video file be converted to one?

User is offline   Stabs 

damnit i would so be chucking this in eternity if i wasnt uploading it right now or had to wait for the anm conversion ;)

altho muelsa sounds like he is working on something very cool if its as good as he says it is i could possibly delay for a little bit, so have some ANM ready just in case of this

• tile 1018

View Postferran275, on 13 May 2011 - 06:23 AM, said:

someone needs to school me on these ANM's. What are they? and why can't a video file be converted to one?

To my knowledge, ANM files are an array of 8 bit .pcx files. So basically, if you did convert it, you'd lose a lot of the color. The only way it would work is if the eduke32 team or somebody made a modification to allow regular video files. Maybe this little project of your's will convince someone to do it ;) I doubt it, but I hope so.

• The Sarien Encounter

ANM's are the only thing in Duke3D that isn't possible to improve upon. They consist of the animations of the nuke symbol in the intro, the end-of-boss sequences from Episodes 2, 3, and 4 and the intro sequence to Episode 4.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 13 May 2011 - 07:32 AM

• tile 1018

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 13 May 2011 - 07:31 AM, said:

ANM's are the only thing in Duke3D that isn't possible to improve upon. They consist of the animations of the nuke symbol in the intro, the end-of-boss sequences from Episodes 2, 3, and 4 and the intro sequence to Episode 4.

Why can't they be improved upon? Or are you talking about for right now they cannot be improved upon? I would think that if we removed the anm sequences, implemented a video player, and replaced those anm sequences with the content loaded in the video player, it would work just fine. I'm not an expert, but I think it could be hard coded easily enough, I'd think it'd take maybe a few weeks.

• The Sarien Encounter

Yes, but currently it's not possible to replace ANM's with anything that looks any better. As of right now EDuke32 won't recognize anything but ANM's for ANM videos (more like slideshows, really, as they don't contain audio). There is no code for it and there hasn't been for a long time despite the fact that people have wanted to replace it with Theora video or AVI or something.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 13 May 2011 - 11:16 AM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 13 May 2011 - 11:16 AM, said:

Yes, but currently it's not possible to replace ANM's with anything that looks any better. As of right now EDuke32 won't recognize anything but ANM's for ANM videos (more like slideshows, really, as they don't contain audio). There is no code for it and there hasn't been for a long time despite the fact that people have wanted to replace it with Theora video or AVI or something.

interesting... It might still look pretty cool in 8 bit, kind of want to see that ;) I've been stuck at work (actually working) today so I haven't been able to touch this, hopefully this weekend I will have some free time.

This post has been edited by ferran275: 13 May 2011 - 04:09 PM

Got another comp done! Finally added audio, plus a bunch of 'little' changes, I think this one is pretty close to done, any more suggestions?

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Very nice!

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Wow This rox!!!!

This is the XBLA version.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 15 May 2011 - 03:18 AM

That was awesome! Still a little too dark in my opinion ;) But i still love it hehe

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options