Duke4.net Forums: The crash thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The crash thread  "the one-stop thread for eduke32 crashes"

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Face it, eduke32 crashes sometimes. Since crashes are a specific type of bug, and given the amount of times it happens to different users and newcomers to the program, it's easier to keep them all in the same basket than create a new thread for every different crash. So if you're experiencing crashing, this is the thread for you.

First of all, don't forget to read this post.
The most important details there are to always use the latest eduke32 available here, and to attach the "eduke32.log" as an attachment or paste them here.

It also helps if you do some research into what might be triggering your crash. I.e try different levels, renderers, and without mods, or the HRP if you're using them, it often helps speed up finding the solution.
May your problem be solved swiftly.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 09 May 2011 - 04:36 AM

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

I think this would be a great place to collect pointers to bug reports much like the DNF media thread somewhere else. In particular long-standing, unresolved bugs. If you need the search function to find a bug report, that's a good candidate.

In order for us to fix bugs most efficiently, an exact revision number of its introduction and a small map highlighting it is already pretty helpful. Best of all, it should be visible from the starting position.

Hm... this is probably biased a bit toward gameland bugs.

User is offline   Hool 

Hello! New Crash.

Geuss what? I turned on r_ambientlight 0 and it looks kick-ass! It doesn't crash with a openGL glitch but now it says this:

OUT OF MEMORY at the bottom of the eduke32.log. Sadly I accidentally clicked on Eduke32 and it wiped my Eduke32.log :), all I know is that I played it for a while and it suddenly crashes. I thought it was the usual crash but once I checked the log the last line says "OUT OF MEMORY".

I can't be out of memory, I have 4.00 GB of ram (3.25 usable) and 3.00Ghz.

Full Specifications:
AMD Athlon II X4 640 Processor
4.00 GB ram (3.25 usable)
Windows 7 32 Bit
ATI HD Radeon 5700 1GB

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

If you check your task manger while leaving duke running in window mode you will see that it uses TONS of memory. (It just keeps going up)

I get the same crash which is related to having an ATI card and I saw it go over 2,600,000 k before it died.

User is offline   Bubbles 

View PostBubbles, on 16 May 2011 - 12:57 AM, said:

I am not sure. I haven't been able to reproduce this since. It was like that at the start of the level and remained that way even after returning to the main menu and starting a new game.

Also the game crashes alot when using polymer. Seems to be the same cause every time too. Crashes the same with or without Duke Plus.

Load tile 6215: p29-m4-e0 DUKEPLUS_RESOURCES/GRAPHICS/BLOOD/dpblood2.png... 27 ms
Load tile 6273: p0-m4-e0 DUKEPLUS_RESOURCES/GRAPHICS/damages/scorch.png... 11 ms
Failed loading skin file "DUKEPLUS_RESOURCES/GRAPHICS/WEAPONS/lasergun_G.png": error -1
OUT OF MEMORY in daskinloader!
Uninitializing DirectDraw...
Uninitializing DirectInput...
Uninitializing DirectInput...

It always says this when it crashes at the end of the eduke32 log. Here it crashed when I picked up the alien pistol. What does that line mean? I don't get how I could be out of memory.

And here is the crash log if you need it.Attachment eduke32.crashlog.txt

Thanks for the help.

View PostBubbles, on 18 May 2011 - 05:09 PM, said:

It seems when ever I update eduke32 the game acts weird the first time it runs the new version. When I first played with r1888 about half way through the level the textures on Dukes leg were all garbled when I was kicking but not in the mirror. Then the lighting started to behave kind of like in the last screenshot I posted and walls started to disappear and reappear as I moved or looked around. About 10 seconds later whole portions of the level were disappearing and reappearing with more and more disappearing each time. I tried to snap some screens of this but they were corrupted. The game then just stopped and I was at the desk top. There was no error message or anything the game just stopped. Maybe this is part of the other problems?

There was no crash log but here is the main log.Attachment eduke32.log

From HRP issues thread.

• EDuke32 Developer

Can someone point me to the post describing the bug where tile data gets scrambled? I think it was The Commander who posted a screenshot with a devastator that looked simply like random pixels. I got to the cause of the issue, but I'd like to sort it out exhaustively.

Afraid it was not me that posted any pictures like that. (Unless this was some time ago)

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostHelixhorned, on 21 May 2011 - 12:22 PM, said:

Can someone point me to the post describing the bug where tile data gets scrambled? I think it was The Commander who posted a screenshot with a devastator that looked simply like random pixels. I got to the cause of the issue, but I'd like to sort it out exhaustively.

That was me, and it was in the attrition thread. Dan and I figured it was just a random video glitch (he said he's experienced it also). The picture has since been deleted.

The devastator weapon would pixelate when duke stepped in blood puddles or on bloody foot prints. After restarting the game I was unable to reproduce the error

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 21 May 2011 - 03:19 PM, said:

That was me, and it was in the attrition thread. Dan and I figured it was just a random video glitch (he said he's experienced it also). The picture has since been deleted.

The devastator weapon would pixelate when duke stepped in blood puddles or on bloody foot prints. After restarting the game I was unable to reproduce the error

I didn't figure out anything; I was speculating that it was a video driver issue. But since then I seem to recall it being reported by at least one more person using that mod, and when it happens it affects more than just the devastator.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostDeeperThought, on 21 May 2011 - 04:52 PM, said:

I didn't figure out anything; I was speculating that it was a video driver issue.

lol. it was a figure of speech. figured=reckoned=assumed=guessed=speculated=supposed

sometimes you're so cute I want to adopt you :)

User is offline   DCL 

This thing has crashed on me on every since level. Every time I've completed a level, it's crashed and made me restart. When I reload and finish again, it's okay. But so far it's been very crash heavy for me.

Here is an example of one level.

Also: Intel 2 Quad, 2.40Ghz, 4.00GB RAM

Attached File(s)

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostForge, on 21 May 2011 - 03:19 PM, said:

Yeah, that's the one I was searching for. FYI, the corruption happened whenever the scene was drawn to a tile instead of the screen, and some code assumed screen dimensions, overwriting tile memory in the process. Drawing to a tile happens in a couple of places such as displaying viewscreens (not 'using' them), tilting (software only?), saving and loading, and displaying frames of a movie. What's strange though is that in my case it happened due to some bad debug code which I don't think has been ever compiled into a synthesis build. So, if you see that bug again, don't hesitate to report it!

User is offline   Bubbles 

I have not seen this before. Crashed when clicking return to title screen. There was no crash log.Attached File  eduke32.log (25.75K)
Number of downloads: 653

• Honored Donor

I was working on a WGRealms 2 map, and mapster32 crashed basically every time I pressed ctrl-c to universally paste a tile.

0x4642b4 : C:\Users\Alan\Desktop\WGR2_SIEGEBREAKER\mapster32.exe : Z:\var\www\synthesis\eduke32\eduke32\build/src/build.
c (9252) : in function (AlignWalls) 
0x4643d2 : C:\Users\Alan\Desktop\WGR2_SIEGEBREAKER\mapster32.exe : Z:\var\www\synthesis\eduke32\eduke32\build/src/build.
c (9264) : in function (AlignWallPoint2) 
0x45d14b : C:\Users\Alan\Desktop\WGR2_SIEGEBREAKER\mapster32.exe : Z:\var\www\synthesis\eduke32\eduke32\build/src/build.
c (7244) : in function (insertpoint) 
0x45a78a : C:\Users\Alan\Desktop\WGR2_SIEGEBREAKER\mapster32.exe : Z:\var\www\synthesis\eduke32\eduke32\build/src/build.
c (6341) : in function (overheadeditor) 
0x4480e7 : C:\Users\Alan\Desktop\WGR2_SIEGEBREAKER\mapster32.exe : Z:\var\www\synthesis\eduke32\eduke32\build/src/build.
c (1294) : in function (editinput) 
0x42720f : C:\Users\Alan\Desktop\WGR2_SIEGEBREAKER\mapster32.exe : Z:\var\www\synthesis\eduke32\eduke32/source/astub.c (11106) : in function (ExtCheckKeys) 
0x446794 : C:\Users\Alan\Desktop\WGR2_SIEGEBREAKER\mapster32.exe : Z:\var\www\synthesis\eduke32\eduke32\build/src/build.
c (690) : in function (app_main) 
0x4f44ee : C:\Users\Alan\Desktop\WGR2_SIEGEBREAKER\mapster32.exe : Z:\var\www\synthesis\eduke32\eduke32\build/src/winlayer.
c (494) : in function (WinMain@16) 
0x536b66 : C:\Users\Alan\Desktop\WGR2_SIEGEBREAKER\mapster32.exe : main.c 
0x4010db : C:\Users\Alan\Desktop\WGR2_SIEGEBREAKER\mapster32.exe : crt1.c 
0x401158 : C:\Users\Alan\Desktop\WGR2_SIEGEBREAKER\mapster32.exe : crt1.c 
Failed to init bfd from (C:\Windows\syswow64\kernel32.dll)
0x759733ca : C:\Windows\syswow64\kernel32.dll : BaseThreadInitThunk 
Failed to init bfd from (C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll)
0x77709ed2 : C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll : RtlInitializeExceptionChain 
Failed to init bfd from (C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll)
0x77709ea5 : C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll : RtlInitializeExceptionChain 

• EDuke32 Developer

Ctrl-C is supposed to paste a tile, universally? You know something I don't, or one of us is confused. :(

The log you posted shows a crash in the wall alignment code (PERIOD key), and about the only explanation for it is trying to align a wall having a 'void' tile.

It may be due to bad coding on my part, but when I die in my mod it is meant to change level that displays a video on a wall. (This is all controlled in CON)

But when you press USE to change to the level the screen goes black and this is the output.

Failed to init bfd from (C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll)
0x7c910a19 : C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll : wcsncpy 
Failed to init bfd from (C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll)
0x7c91084c : C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll : wcsncpy 
Failed to init bfd from (C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrt.dll)
0x77c2c2de : C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrt.dll : free 
0x580f5d : C:\Duke Nukem\Red Alert\eduke32.debug.exe : Z:\var\www\synthesis\eduke32\eduke32\build/src/polymer.
c (2207) : in function (polymer_freeboard) 
0x57cde8 : C:\Duke Nukem\Red Alert\eduke32.debug.exe : Z:\var\www\synthesis\eduke32\eduke32\build/src/polymer.
c (863) : in function (polymer_loadboard) 
0x52bf30 : C:\Duke Nukem\Red Alert\eduke32.debug.exe : Z:\var\www\synthesis\eduke32\eduke32\build/src/engine.
c (8782) : in function (loadboard) 
0x4d4aa8 : C:\Duke Nukem\Red Alert\eduke32.debug.exe : Z:\var\www\synthesis\eduke32\eduke32/source/premap.c (1909) : in function (G_EnterLevel) 
0x4272bc : C:\Duke Nukem\Red Alert\eduke32.debug.exe : Z:\var\www\synthesis\eduke32\eduke32/source/game.c (9528) : in function (G_EndOfLevel) 
0x429058 : C:\Duke Nukem\Red Alert\eduke32.debug.exe : Z:\var\www\synthesis\eduke32\eduke32/source/game.c (10411) : in function (app_main) 
0x574a26 : C:\Duke Nukem\Red Alert\eduke32.debug.exe : Z:\var\www\synthesis\eduke32\eduke32\build/src/winlayer.
c (494) : in function (WinMain@16) 
0x5cd376 : C:\Duke Nukem\Red Alert\eduke32.debug.exe : main.c 
0x4010db : C:\Duke Nukem\Red Alert\eduke32.debug.exe : crt1.c 
0x401158 : C:\Duke Nukem\Red Alert\eduke32.debug.exe : crt1.c 
Failed to init bfd from (C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll)
0x7c817077 : C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll : RegisterWaitForInputIdle 

I don't believe this happens in Polymost.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 19 July 2011 - 09:03 PM

• Honored Donor

View PostHelixhorned, on 19 July 2011 - 10:57 AM, said:

Ctrl-C is supposed to paste a tile, universally? You know something I don't, or one of us is confused. :(

The log you posted shows a crash in the wall alignment code (PERIOD key), and about the only explanation for it is trying to align a wall having a 'void' tile.

Ahh whoops I meant alt-c, as per the eduke wiki: "ALT+C replace all tiles in the map with one from the clipboard". I tried it out in regular Duke as well, with the latest version of eduke32 from dukeworld as of this posting. I tried it once on the floor; no problem. Tried it again on a wall; instant crash.

It's possible that this feature in mapster is broken given what you're telling me.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 21 July 2011 - 01:34 AM

• EDuke32 Developer

Ah yes! Subconsciously I knew that it wasn't completely off... anyway, it's fixed now... stupid typo kind of bug.

• Honored Donor

My mini mine map suddenly started crashing eduke32 upon loading. It's not corrupted, at least not according to mapster.

Here's the crashlog:

0x44f083 : C:\Users\Michael\Desktop\SIMPLE DUKE\eduke32.debug.exe : Z:\var\www\synthesis\eduke32\eduke32/source/actors.c (7889) : in function (G_MoveEffectors) 
0x44fea3 : C:\Users\Michael\Desktop\SIMPLE DUKE\eduke32.debug.exe : Z:\var\www\synthesis\eduke32\eduke32/source/actors.c (8144) : in function (G_MoveWorld) 
0x42868b : C:\Users\Michael\Desktop\SIMPLE DUKE\eduke32.debug.exe : Z:\var\www\synthesis\eduke32\eduke32/source/game.c (10877) : in function (G_DoMoveThings) 
0x427d00 : C:\Users\Michael\Desktop\SIMPLE DUKE\eduke32.debug.exe : Z:\var\www\synthesis\eduke32\eduke32/source/game.c (10743) : in function (G_MoveLoop) 
0x4279cd : C:\Users\Michael\Desktop\SIMPLE DUKE\eduke32.debug.exe : Z:\var\www\synthesis\eduke32\eduke32/source/game.c (10650) : in function (app_main) 
0x56dd76 : C:\Users\Michael\Desktop\SIMPLE DUKE\eduke32.debug.exe : Z:\var\www\synthesis\eduke32\eduke32\build/src/winlayer.
c (500) : in function (WinMain@16) 
0x5f2076 : C:\Users\Michael\Desktop\SIMPLE DUKE\eduke32.debug.exe : main.c 
0x4010db : C:\Users\Michael\Desktop\SIMPLE DUKE\eduke32.debug.exe : crt1.c 
0x401158 : C:\Users\Michael\Desktop\SIMPLE DUKE\eduke32.debug.exe : crt1.c 
Failed to init bfd from (C:\Windows\syswow64\kernel32.dll): 1 1 0
0x7497339a : C:\Windows\syswow64\kernel32.dll : BaseThreadInitThunk 
Failed to init bfd from (C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll): 1 1 0
0x77109ef2 : C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll : RtlInitializeExceptionChain 
Failed to init bfd from (C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll): 1 1 0
0x77109ec5 : C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll : RtlInitializeExceptionChain 
Wed Feb 08 13:43:55 2012
---------------

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Do you have r_pr_lighting off?

• Honored Donor

Yes. I just tried it with the lights back on and it worked. Then I switched them off while in the level then did restartvid and instant crash. Hollywood Holocaust works though.

• EDuke32 Developer

Looks like the hardcoded Polymer light limit was reached and some followup code choked on it. Is the crash fixed with r2320?

• Honored Donor

Yes, thankyou. Weird though, the map had under 10 lights.

It wasn't the light limit, that's why I asked if r_pr_lighting was off; addlight also returns -1 in that case.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Is it just me, or does latest build r2330 crash when you reach the ingame menu? I'm getting a blackscreen (you can still hear sounds when you move the cursor, but you don't see anything), and when I alt-tab out, there is a small box saying "Quick Exit" or something. Reverting to r2320 fixes the issue for me.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 11 February 2012 - 12:34 AM

• Honored Donor

I'm not getting any crashes, but I was just about to report in the black menu screen. The only way I can see the menu is by starting a game (hitting enter repeatedly until hollywood holocaust starts) and hit escape to use that menu.

Not being able to see the main menu is a pretty serious bug Posted Image

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Fixed with r2334:

r2332 | helixhorned | 2012-02-11 03:51:48 -0800 (Sat, 11 Feb 2012) | 1 line

Fix menu text not drawing when not playing (back), introduced in r2326.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Crash report:
The scenario is not quite usual but I can reproduce it. I played vanilla Duke with a recent executable (r2337 I suppose) and saved the game. Later I started DukePlus with r2344 and reloaded the game.
Way to the crash: Start the jetpack and fly out of the window. Turn left an fly until the trooper reacts on you. Fly back and down into the fire...

Attached File(s)

You're not supposed to use save games across different revisions; do you need to do that to trigger the crash? If yes, it probably isn't a bug.

• EDuke32 Developer

Loading/saving across different revisions is fine, we have a check for that (sometimes we may forget to bump the version though). Saving with one CON code and loading into another is highly illegal, however.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options