Recommended Specifications

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 Ghz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 @ 2.6 Ghz
Memory: 2 Gb
Hard Drive: 10 Gb free
Video Memory: 512 MB
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS / ATI Radeon HD 3850
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

OTHER REQUIREMENTS & SUPPORTS
Initial installation requires one-time internet connection for Steam authentication; software installations required (included with the game) include Steam Client, Microsoft DirectX, Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (ATL), Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable, and AMD Dual Core Optimizer. (AMD optimizer required only for specific AMD processors to run the game correctly, but installs for all of them.)

Software license terms available at www.take2games.com/eula. Non-transferable access to special features such as exclusive, unlockable, downloadable or online content, services, or functions may require single-use serial code, additional fee and/or online account registration (13+). Access to special features may require internet connection, may not be available to all users, and may, upon 30 days notice, be terminated, modified or offered under different terms. Online play and download requires broadband internet service. User responsible for associated fees.

http://gbxforums.gea...ad.php?t=120746

User is offline   Jeff 

So I guess Gearbox has stated the DNF system specs:

Minimum Specifications

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.0 Ghz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 @ 2.0 Ghz
  • Memory: 1 Gb
  • Hard Drive: 10 Gb free
  • Video Memory: 256 MB
  • Video Card: nVidia GeForce 7600 / ATI Radeon HD 2600
  • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

Recommended Specifications

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 Ghz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 @ 2.6 Ghz
  • Memory: 2 Gb
  • Hard Drive: 10 Gb free
  • Video Memory: 512 MB
  • Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS / ATI Radeon HD 3850
  • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

So much for steep requirements as stated by GB a few years back. I'll be able to run this thing with minimal effort.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Portal 2 doesn't even require a dual core processor. Didn't expect that. Ah well, anyway my rig will eat this game in two helpings for breakfast, lunch, and supper.....for a month.

User is offline   Sebastian 

Topic note: Merged Jeff and Bam050196's topics.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I like this! But it seems kinda low... maybe the game doesn't look that great? Doesn't matter. I'll enjoy it anyway!

User is offline   aftli 

So the minimum requirements are *very* light. Interesting the also very light "recommended" specs (which I would assume would give the best possible experience) mean for graphical level, but we already knew that. Portal 2 had lower recommended specs though, and it still looked great (even though it used the aging Source engine). Either way, doesn't matter to me! ;) It's about the experience for me, not the graphics.

With specs like that though, they had *better* be supporting triple monitor configurations correctly. That definitely enhances the experience for me where graphical levels aren't as modern.

User is offline   You 

Anyone else surprised by the mentioning of dual core?

Wasn't it stated somewhere that DNF would not support multicore processors on release?

User is offline   randir14 

Years ago George said the game would require a dual core.

View PostYou, on 03 May 2011 - 02:44 PM, said:

Anyone else surprised by the mentioning of dual core?

Wasn't it stated somewhere that DNF would not support multicore processors on release?

Not really:

Multi-core support is in and quite nice. We all run Core Duo 6600's and 7950/8800, ati 1900 level cards.

Multi-core is the future and the game is pretty much going to require it. You really have to, to make a game competitive with modern consoles, or beyond. One cpu isn't enough anymore.

64 bit will come, but is lower priorty. Vista/64 bit isn't a priority for us at the moment.
- George Broussard, April 19, 2007.

It's a multicore engine. Graphic detail is a large part of why.
- George Broussard, April 29, 2008.

They(More specifically programmer Brian Lawson) added multi-threading support somewhere between August 2006 and the earlier quote above.

User is offline   You 

View Postrandir14, on 03 May 2011 - 03:13 PM, said:

Years ago George said the game would require a dual core.

Goggling to see if you where right (you probably are), the only reference to this I can find is a post by yourself on the GBX forums from Janurary.

Thinking about the engine it's using though, it would pretty absurd for it not to have at least dual core support.

EDIT:

Multi-core support is in and quite nice. We all run Core Duo 6600's and 7950/8800, ati 1900 level cards.

Multi-core is the future and the game is pretty much going to require it. You really have to, to make a game competitive with modern consoles, or beyond. One cpu isn't enough anymore.

64 bit will come, but is lower priorty. Vista/64 bit isn't a priority for us at the moment.

Quote from George from 2007.

This post has been edited by You: 03 May 2011 - 04:12 PM

User is offline   Stabs 

the unreal engine has good multicore support , quads usually beat duals with much better results in tests usually

How is that relevant to DNF? There is virtually no Unreal code left there.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

Weak sauce. But that happens when you make a game for 6 year old machines.

At least I'll be able to play on high detail and really get a good view of that turd*. ;)

*I realize the confusion this can cause. I am referring to the actual turd within the game that they have showed being thrown around in the one place it appears to be present. However, I suspect that at some point within a week of release, there will be a level entirely made of turds for dukematch.

This post has been edited by Mr.Flibble: 03 May 2011 - 06:51 PM

User is offline   Sharpie 

Kristian Joensen i'm always amazed with your extremely large amount of Duke Nukem Forever knowledge and your complete level-headedness.

Ass kissing aside even though I had a feeling the DNF specs wouldn't be considerably high I can now happily buy my new gaming rig. I'll own the game on Xbox 360 too but I may as well play it on the superior platform it was made for. I have no doubt that the performance and smaller touches on PC will be waves ahead of the console counterparts.

I am happy to report how I totally predicted the system requirements just by looking at the released media.
This where I predicted.
http://forums.duke4....dpost__p__82522

User is offline   Stabs 

View PostKristian Joensen, on 03 May 2011 - 04:45 PM, said:

How is that relevant to DNF? There is virtually no Unreal code left there.

der everyone was talking about dual cores and performance ;)

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

I'm good in everything but my Geforce 6100. Happy that's the only thing needing an upgrade.
Now I think the demo will be right behind this news.

User is offline   Jeff 

View PostSebastian, on 03 May 2011 - 09:35 AM, said:

Topic note: Merged Jeff and Bam050196's topics.

Did we post at the same time or was I just really sleepy and not read the forums? I don't remember seeing his thread. It must have been posted at the same time I was posting mine.

Some timing, how the same message can be sent from two people half way across the globe? Sounds really creepy to me.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostJeff, on 03 May 2011 - 08:46 PM, said:

Did we post at the same time or was I just really sleepy and not read the forums? I don't remember seeing his thread. It must have been posted at the same time I was posting mine.

Some timing, how the same message can be sent from two people half way across the globe? Sounds really creepy to me.

According to the post times, your posts were only a minute apart, with Bam being in the lead. ;)

User is offline   Kathy 

Does "recommended" mean 1080p with all settings maxed out?

View PostLotan, on 03 May 2011 - 10:36 PM, said:

Does "recommended" mean 1080p with all settings maxed out?

Why are you taking minimum and recommended specs literally?
It's a well known fact that in all cases, system requirements are approximations.
I didn't even need these requirements to know how the game will run and I was able to predict these requirements just looking at the media.
I'm absolutely certain that if the game will work as intended and not suffer from any serious engine bugs, it will run 2007 and 2008 hardware in 1080 with at least 45 fps...
Unless you have a pc with EXTREMELY outdated components, then you shouldn't worry at all.
The game is a 2007 game and it's requirements are made to work on a variety of 2007 pcs.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Aww man, I just upgraded my rig for this! Posted Image

View PostMicky C, on 04 May 2011 - 02:59 AM, said:

same, but even if it was 2008/2001/1998 build i gladly still play it alot

This post has been edited by duke4everman: 04 May 2011 - 07:52 AM

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

View PostMicky C, on 04 May 2011 - 02:59 AM, said:

Then when Sony and Microsoft get caught up with Nintendo's user interface and release a new console, you will have a machine that can play any game that comes out for 5 years.

View PostMr.Deviance, on 03 May 2011 - 10:45 PM, said:

I'm absolutely certain that if the game will work as intended and not suffer from any serious engine bugs, it will run 2007 and 2008 hardware in 1080 with at least 45 fps...
Unless you have a pc with EXTREMELY outdated components, then you shouldn't worry at all.
The game is a 2007 game and it's requirements are made to work on a variety of 2007 pcs.

What i'm wondering is if the textures will actually be 1080p, or if they'll just be upscaled in a 1080p resolution mode.

User is offline   Martin 

My old-as-the-hills PC is way above the recommended specs. Still getting this on PS3, though.

User is offline   You 

View PostMartin, on 04 May 2011 - 11:52 AM, said:

My old-as-the-hills PC is way above the recommended specs. Still getting this on PS3, though.

Yeah, 2004 hardware would cover the minimum specs (my PC ;)).

View PostMr.Deviance, on 03 May 2011 - 06:58 PM, said:

I am happy to report how I totally predicted the system requirements just by looking at the released media.
This where I predicted.
http://forums.duke4....dpost__p__82522

Me too, nearly 3 years ago

"It looks like we're gonna need at least a dual core and a geforce 8 or =/+. to run but we knew that anyway"

http://forums.duke4....f/page__st__120

My PC could easily wipe the floor with this game (If it wanted to!). I just bought myself a nice new GeForce GTS 250 graphics card just in case my older 9600 GT didn't work well enough.

This post has been edited by KillerBudgie: 04 May 2011 - 01:54 PM

User is offline   Jeff 

View Postduke4everman, on 04 May 2011 - 07:52 AM, said:

same, but even if it was 2008/2001/1998 build i gladly still play it alot

Is some part of the game that old graphics wise? Damn.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options