Duke4.net Forums: What difficulty level do you play at? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What difficulty level do you play at?

Poll: What difficulty level do you play at? (45 member(s) have cast votes)

What difficulty do you usually select when playing Duke 3D?

1. Piece of Cake (1 votes [2.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.22%

2. Let's Rock (21 votes [46.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.67%

3. Come Get Some (19 votes [42.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.22%

4. Damn I'm Good (4 votes [8.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.89%

If you had to choose only one factor that the difficulty level affected, which would it be?

1. The quantity of enemies (Duke 3D style) (15 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. The amount of enemy health. (3 votes [6.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

3. The amount of damage caused by enemies. (9 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. The intelligence/behavior of enemies. (14 votes [31.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.11%

5. The quantity of items/ammo available for the player. (4 votes [8.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Some people like Piece of Cake because they mainly want to explore the map, and aren't as interested in fighting monsters.

Some prefer Let's Rock, because it is the default skill level.

Some prefer Come Get Some, because it has extra gameplay.

And some prefer Damn I'm Good because they want to be challenged.

For most players, I suspect that the only real decision is between LR and CGS (because POC is just too easy and DIG is just too annoying with the endless respawns). My own preference is for CGS, but I'm curious about how others play. If you have any particular reason for preferring a difficulty level, do post about it.

There's also a second poll question, which concerns game design.

User is offline   Player Lin 

I play with CGS because I want some challenging but I don't want DIG because it's really annoying in some maps. I was tried PoC but I feel it too easy, I can play more harder so I picked CGS.
(Sometimes, I may picked LR but I rarely to do that...)

The second poll is not really what I want because I prefer two of options, but can only choose one. So I picked the first one, but I would like picked 5th one too, I like harder difficulty have more enemies and less/more supplies.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 01 May 2011 - 08:37 AM

User is offline   CruX 

I usually play on Let's Rock, only because that's the difficulty I started playing the game with. I'm a creature of habit. Often times I hit the difficulty setting before even realizing what it was set to.

User is offline   Loke 

"Let's Rock" with user maps and "Come Get Some" with the original levels. Very rarely play on "Piece of Cake" unless I'm testing a map. Never play on "Damn I'm Good".

User is offline   E.C.S 

Come Get Some and when more enemies, better destruction (of course if I have explosives). For the others options, DukePlus is there to help.

User is offline   Sebastian 

I don't think difficulty level should dictate enemy intelligence so I went with Let's Rock and the amount of health an enemy has.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

I voted lets rock because it's the default and I usually tap the enter button until the game starts.

I selected ammo/items. I have no issues about fighting the enemies no matter how many, how tough, or how smart they are (within reason). It's when I run out of bullets in relation to their stats that things start to domino down.

User is offline   Hank 

I voted Damn I'm Good, because after 10(15) years it would be boring for me; and voted for higher enemy intelligence.
My ideal game would be Let's Rock, for amount of actors, but with a more intelligent script; surprise me, move into a better position etc. and stop yapping and shot first once in a while. Posted Image

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

I'd prefer enemies that deal more damage over increasing their health. Increasing health would simply lead to more mechanical repetition.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Generally I play "Damn I'm Good" since I know all of the original levels by heart, as well as all of their secrets, so playing "Come Get Some" is very much not challenging. On custom levels, however, I will generally opt for CGS since level modders tend to go gung ho with the enemy placement on the highest difficulty.

User is offline   Stabs 

generally i like damage scaling ratios of dmg taken to dmg delivered over quantity, everyone should be able to kill the same amount of monsters

but CGS, DIG and endless monsters can leave you a bit too light on ammo, if i had my system DIG would have 110% taken to 90% damage given

This post has been edited by DanM: 01 May 2011 - 02:37 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I play on POC because I'm a very casual player when it comes to Duke 3D and I play it for the feel, the atmosphere and the attitude. Although I can manage CGS on the original levels without much problem.

Increasing the number of enemies as difficulty increases is the way to go if done properly, i.e enemies turn up in new, unexpected places and catch you off guard in an ambush.

User is offline   E.C.S 

Now I'm thinking, [offtopic]is possible to spawn enemies like in Left 4 Dead?. I mean, set many place where there is a chance to spawn a enemy. For me, I think is a lot of work to do something like that.[/offtopic]

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

It's extremely easy to do something like that.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostE.C.S, on 01 May 2011 - 05:00 PM, said:

Now I'm thinking, [offtopic]is possible to spawn enemies like in Left 4 Dead?. I mean, set many place where there is a chance to spawn a enemy. For me, I think is a lot of work to do something like that.[/offtopic]

For basic enemy spawnpoints when triggered by touchplate or switch, it's as simple as using a RESPAWN sprite.

As far as probability-based spawning, that's a different story, but I'm sure DukePlus has evolved to the point where such a thing is possible.

User is offline   Lunick 

I chose Let's Rock and the Enemy AI. I only do Come Get Some when I'm in a serious game mood.

This post has been edited by Lunick: 02 May 2011 - 01:15 AM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Since I am mostly doing screenshots, POC is the best option for me. This way, I can play normally while not having to use cheats and still being able to find good locations to hit F12. I have played the game so often now, it doesn't really matter, anyway. ^^

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

Come get some is my "home difficulty setting", so much that I even choose it when merely testing maps *brag*.

I voted for more intelligence because, even if it may be wasted effort on the part of the developer, it brings something genuinely new each time you increase the difficulty.

User is offline   LkMax 

"Let's Rock", mainly because it's the standard option (it's faster to just press enter ;) hehe) and because it's an acceptible difficult level, but a few times Come Get Some. I NEVER play on "Damn I'm Good"! I just hate infinity enemies appearing every second (one of the reasons why I got bored of Call of Duty after some CoD games).

This post has been edited by LkMax: 03 May 2011 - 03:22 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I play on Let's Rock. I may soon switch to Come Get Some, though, after my current run through. Game's getting stale.

I was torn between quantity of enemies and amount of enemy health. But I chose quantity in the end because for me personally, it'd be more interesting to up my challenge by increasing the difficulty level and finding enemies in places I didn't expect them to be. That's more interesting than just increasing enemy health.

Also, if you have enough explosives, enemies don't respawn on Damn I'm Good ;).

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 03 May 2011 - 04:52 PM

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

I play on Come Get Some even if is the first time with a map, just is the way I'm used to. About the other issue i agree with Helixhorned.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Come Get Some. Even if it's an old map from the game or a fresh new user map I've never played before, I will 99% of the time never stray away from CGS. I voted "intelligence/enemies" for the second poll, because if it wasn't for the fact that the enemies respawn (which is absolutely impossible for me) I would love to play in DIG for the extra enemies mappers sometimes add.

Before I installed DukePlus, I played almost exclusively on Damn I'm Good, on PC and on the Xbox. I've been playing for over 10 years, so it had become pretty easy even with the difficulty cranked up. I never died unless something glitched or I stopped paying attention. I stopped playing as much because the game didn't challenge me very much anymore.

Now that I've come across DukePlus, I've found much more interest in the game again. With double enemies/items turned on, I can play at Come Get Some or Damn I'm Good and feel challenged - I've already died as much under this configuration as I probably ever have on vanilla Duke! I also like the Doom-style feel that one gets by using double enemies/items; rooms full of aliens and tons of powerups. It feels just like DooM on Ultra Violence.

With DukePlus' double enemies/items AND advanced AI turned on, I find the game a touch too hard to enjoy - it actually feels like DooM Nightmare in that configuration, and I'm just not that good.

In the second poll I voted the first option. The more enemies I have to destroy, the better. Bring out the heavy artillery!

Ps. I really like DukePlus. The realistic "cruizer" shotgun reminds me of Left 4 Dead, and makes the game experience more exciting. The karate kicks are awesome too, and I love the excessive gibs whenever the aliens are blown up. Real props to the guy who made DukePlus - it's put the fun back into Duke for me.

This post has been edited by trencheel303: 05 May 2011 - 03:41 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View Posttrencheel303, on 05 May 2011 - 03:38 AM, said:

Ps. I really like DukePlus. The realistic "cruizer" shotgun reminds me of Left 4 Dead, and makes the game experience more exciting. The karate kicks are awesome too, and I love the excessive gibs whenever the aliens are blown up. Real props to the guy who made DukePlus - it's put the fun back into Duke for me.

Thank you. It really boosts my motivation to keep modding when I get positive feedback. ;)
If you haven't already, you should really try my War of Attrition mod. It is based on DukePlus.

User is offline   Awesomebob 

I like "Let's Rock". Just the right blend of speed and difficulty.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Generally I play on Come Get Some, and I love the way Duke3D handles the difference in difficulty.

View PostRadar1013, on 04 May 2011 - 11:15 AM, said:

Come Get Some. Even if it's an old map from the game or a fresh new user map I've never played before, I will 99% of the time never stray away from CGS. I voted "intelligence/enemies" for the second poll, because if it wasn't for the fact that the enemies respawn (which is absolutely impossible for me) I would love to play in DIG for the extra enemies mappers sometimes add.

The key to beating the game on DIG is to move quickly.

If you don't need to come back to an area that you pass through, shoot the enemies (or just run and leave them behind.) if you DO need to revisit an area, kill the enemies and then blow them up with an explosive - that stops the respawns. If you can play the game on Come Get Some, you will find DIG doable if you just sped things up a bit. Of course, one should only play at a difficulty level they find enjoyable.

• Duke Plus Developer

View Posttrencheel303, on 09 May 2011 - 03:31 PM, said:

The key to beating the game on DIG is to move quickly.

If you don't need to come back to an area that you pass through, shoot the enemies (or just run and leave them behind.) if you DO need to revisit an area, kill the enemies and then blow them up with an explosive - that stops the respawns. If you can play the game on Come Get Some, you will find DIG doable if you just sped things up a bit. Of course, one should only play at a difficulty level they find enjoyable.

A lot of user maps are virtually impossible on DIG because explosives are only available on rare occasions for blowing up cracks. It helps if you know the map well and can avoid backtracking, but even so you will probably end up out of ammo and/or dead when explosives are scarce and the map is nonlinear. This is why I usually make DIG do something different in my mods, rather than making enemies respawn (extra damage + auras in WGR2, faster enemy upgrades in Attrition).

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Normally is 2nd difficult.
Sometimes easy or hard.
rarely to go extreme I take hardest.

But 2nd is general one.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options