Duke4.net Forums: So im confused.... - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

So im confused....

So im confused....

Did Duke Nukem 3D actually happen? or was it just Duke Nukem playing his own game all along?

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

It happened.

The beginning of DNF is Duke playing a game based on his "real" life, hence Duke3D having actually taken place.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Since this thread is here I might as well point out how ridiculous it is that a game in the future let alone today has "3D" in it. Imagine Bulletstorm 3D or Crysis 2 3D. But I guess it's all part of how funky Duke's universe is compared to ours.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

You do realize that there is a gaming system called the 3DS, right?
Maybe it is a "3D" game...but we can't tell that...

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostMicky C, on 29 April 2011 - 04:53 PM, said:

Since this thread is here I might as well point out how ridiculous it is that a game in the future let alone today has "3D" in it. Imagine Bulletstorm 3D or Crysis 2 3D. But I guess it's all part of how funky Duke's universe is compared to ours.

Absolutely. Since 3D was a big deal in the mid 90s, many games used the notation in their title, beginning with Wolfenstein 3D. :dukegoof:

User is offline   Hank 

View PostYatta, on 29 April 2011 - 04:30 PM, said:

It happened.

The beginning of DNF is Duke playing a game based on his "real" life, hence Duke3D having actually taken place.

Now I'm lost. Maybe I should get some sleep. Since Duke won in 'real' life what would the object of this game be?

User is offline   ferran275 

View PostYatta, on 29 April 2011 - 05:35 PM, said:

Absolutely. Since 3D was a big deal in the mid 90s, many games used the notation in their title, beginning with Wolfenstein 3D. :dukegoof:

Which if you ask me really came to bit 3DRealms in the ass, not only was '3D' in their game title, its their freakin company NAME. Think if all the other companies had said "hey, we make 3D games! lets tack 3D onto the title!" we'd have such awesome companies as: 'EA 3D' 'Rockstar 3D' and MY personal favorite: 'EPIC Games 3D!!!' :D

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

Not to be a nitpicker, but Catacomb 3D was probably the first in 1991... nothing as big as Wolfenstein, probably because it was still EGA, but still had a substantial sales and couple of sequels. It was on id's pre-Wolf ray-traced engine. It was my first "3D" game that had 3D in the title... at least as far as ray-traced type games. (Castle master was my first, but it didn't have 3D in the title)

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 29 April 2011 - 06:33 PM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

View PostHank, on 29 April 2011 - 06:00 PM, said:

Now I'm lost. Maybe I should get some sleep. Since Duke won in 'real' life what would the object of this game be?

To increase his ego even more? :dukegoof:

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View PostMicky C, on 29 April 2011 - 04:53 PM, said:

View PostMr.Flibble, on 29 April 2011 - 04:59 PM, said:

You do realize that there is a gaming system called the 3DS, right?
Maybe it is a "3D" game...but we can't tell that...

View Postferran275, on 29 April 2011 - 06:29 PM, said:

Which if you ask me really came to bit 3DRealms in the ass, not only was '3D' in their game title, its their freakin company NAME. Think if all the other companies had said "hey, we make 3D games! lets tack 3D onto the title!" we'd have such awesome companies as: 'EA 3D' 'Rockstar 3D' and MY personal favorite: 'EPIC Games 3D!!!' :D

Just so you know, there's a command in the console (red blue mode) don't remember the real command, but with 3D glasses you can play Duke in 3D.

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

Depth Dwellers has a 3D mode also... it just came with the Red Blue glasses. :dukegoof:

MrBlackCat

• Honored Donor

Makes you wonder why they didn't call Doom 'Doom 3D' as was convention at the time.

View PostVinsaneOne, on 29 April 2011 - 07:01 PM, said:

Just so you know, there's a command in the console (red blue mode) don't remember the real command, but with 3D glasses you can play Duke in 3D.

Yeah, but that feature wasn't finished. It got corrupted whenever a mirror came onto screen, and it halved the framerate due to the nature of how it worked. It would have been cool if it were finished though, but maybe it's a feature polymer might be able to do well a few years down the track.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Duke Nukem 3D was a play on words. It describes the shift from 2D to "3D" and also the fact that it's the third game in the official series.

• Honored Donor

Oh I just got it! Duke Nukem Four-ever!

No way Micky

EDIT: Why did you vote this down for? I was only surprised that you didn't realise the pun in the title and said "No way Micky" to reflect my disbelief.

This post has been edited by Sinisterambo: 03 May 2011 - 04:47 AM

Nobody says that the game we know as Duke3D is actually called Duke3D in DNF.

Actually the game is called Duke Nukem Forever, you can see it as soon as the credits start rolling on Duke's TV after beating his game

• The Sarien Encounter

Oh, is that what people are confused about? Yeah, it says Duke Nukem Forever as soon as you kick the eyeball field goal.

View PostLuther Blissett, on 30 April 2011 - 12:00 PM, said:

Actually the game is called Duke Nukem Forever, you can see it as soon as the credits start rolling on Duke's TV after beating his game

I think that my theory here covers the best possibility and due to being a little mixed up I advise everybody to focus on what I am writing here as it can get confusing if you read it too fast!

It could be that the joke comes from the fact that Duke Nukem's fourth adventure is named after the game that Duke plays before his latest adventure is about to start. This latest adventure is real life for him while for us it's the Fourth Duke Nukem game that we are calling Duke Nukem Forever.
So in the end, Duke Nukem's third adventure was called Duke Nukem 3D in our reality while in his reality it's not called anything because Duke does not put labels on periods of his life and he does not name his adventures in any way.
Duke Nukem Forever is a tribute made by people from his world and it covers all of his previous adventures in one game, in order to show everybody from his world how cool he is and why they should praise him.

My theory is that Duke is not a character in video games in his world, he just had 3 real life adventures in his universe and the only Duke Nukem game that exists in his universe is Duke Nukem Forever which is made as a tribute to him because he saved the world 3 times before.
This Duke Nukem Forever game from his universe could either be a remake of his third adventure that we call Duke Nukem 3D or it could actually be a game that fuses all of his previous adventures into one big game. That means Duke 1, Duke 2 and Duke 3D might all be fused in his Duke Nukem Forever game.

So for all intents and purposes, everybody on this forum that has played Duke's previous games, can be said that he's just a witness to his real life adventures, a cameraman if you please.

Later Edit: Updated this post with a more structured version for this analysis, that should be easier to understand.

Duke Nukem has had 3 REAL LIFE adventures(in his world) where he has saved the world 3 times in a row! We call these 3 adventures of his, VIDEOGAMES and we have a name for each of his adventures. We call his first adventure (Duke 1) his second adventure (Duke 2), and his third adventure (Duke 3d). However Duke doesn't call them anything because he thinks all 3 of these adventures were all part of his real life.
After his third adventure was over and he had successfully saved the world once again, he has become a big shot in his world which is why the people in his world made a video game to reflect all of his previous adventures with their subsequent victories! That game is called duke nukem forever and only he can play it.
Now Duke is preparing for his fourth real life adventure and this fourth real life adventure has no name as far as Duke is concerned because it's once again a real life adventure for him but we call it Duke Nukem Forever after the videogame that was made as a tribute for him in his world.
We are calling his fourth adventure "Duke Nukem Forever" because we have to identify his fourth adventure by some name because we can't really call the game Duke's fourth adventure ;)
So simply put, Duke Nukem Forever is a name used mainly for the game that's a tribute to his older adventures, but just for the lulz we are also using that name for his latest adventure so we can label it somehow.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 01 May 2011 - 12:22 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 01 May 2011 - 10:36 AM, said:

My theory is that Duke is not a character in video games in his world, he just had 3 real life adventures in his universe and the only Duke Nukem game that exists in his universe is Duke Nukem Forever which is made as a tribute to him because he saved the world 3 times before.
This Duke Nukem Forever game from his universe could either be a remake of his third adventure that we call Duke Nukem 3D or it could actually be a game that fuses all of his previous adventures into one big game. That means Duke 1, Duke 2 and Duke 3D might all be fused in his Duke Nukem Forever game.
Either that or he has 2 other games dedicated to him that we are not being told about because they are too old and he already finished them.

Posted Image Posted Image

So in other words atime traveller. We will play what will be. I still don't get it. Don't bother to explain, I'll just pretend Duke is playing Quake 40 with a Crysis10 engine, and Dukejust happen to think it must be about him. Posted Image

View PostHank, on 01 May 2011 - 11:05 AM, said:

Posted Image Posted Image

So in other words atime traveller. We will play what will be. I still don't get it. Don't bother to explain, I'll just pretend Duke is playing Quake 40 with a Crysis10 engine, and Dukejust happen to think it must be about him. Posted Image

No you got it all wrong lol.. Here's a shorter more simplified version for you and for others that still didn't get it.
Hope you find this shorter version of my analysis easier to understand as I've tried to make it more structured and to the point than my original construction.

Duke Nukem has had 3 REAL LIFE adventures(in his world) where he has saved the world 3 times in a row! We call these 3 adventures of his, VIDEOGAMES and we have a name for each of his adventures. We call his first adventure (Duke 1) his second adventure (Duke 2), and his third adventure (Duke 3d). However Duke doesn't call them anything because he thinks all 3 of these adventures were all part of his real life.
After his third adventure was over and he had successfully saved the world once again, he has become a big shot in his world which is why the people in his world made a video game to reflect all of his previous adventures with their subsequent victories! That game is called duke nukem forever and only he can play it.
Now Duke is preparing for his fourth real life adventure and this fourth real life adventure has no name as far as Duke is concerned because it's once again a real life adventure for him but we call it Duke Nukem Forever after the videogame that was made as a tribute for him in his world.
We are calling his fourth adventure "Duke Nukem Forever" because we have to identify his fourth adventure by some name because we can't really call the game Duke's fourth adventure ;)
So simply put, Duke Nukem Forever is a name used mainly for the game that's a tribute to his older adventures, but just for the lulz we are also using that name for his latest adventure so we can label it somehow.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 01 May 2011 - 12:24 PM

View PostMr.Deviance, on 01 May 2011 - 11:21 AM, said:

No you got it all wrong lol.. Here's a shorter more simplified version for you and for others that still didn't get it.
Hope you find this shorter version of my analysis easier to understand as I've tried to make it more structured and to the point than my original construction.

I never really understood why people were confused by this concept. Here's another way to look at it: Lets just say that you are in a die hard type situation. you're locked in a tower with a bunch of terrorists who are demanding money. Now lets say you beat all the terrorists single handedly, you become a hero, are idolized, and people generally love you. Then some studio gets together and says "hey! lets make a videogame about this!" and you're all for it, so, a video game is created that mimics your life and what you went through. THEN as you're playing the game that was made about your previous terrorist destroying escapade, ANOTHER terrorist plot is revealed, and you must stop playing the game about you to go fight terrorists for real, again.

Now take YOU and swap you out for Duke. It should have clicked right there. Duke fought off alien invasion three times and now they're invading again, Duke must drop his controller and kill aliens for real. The crazy part is that its US controlling Duke and I think that's where everyone is getting confused. I hope this helps.

I wouldn't be surprised if when we go to start playing and that scene comes up the game is called something more simple, like "Duke Nukem: The Game" or something stupid like that and they only used the DNF intro bit as a promo for PAX and the demo, we shall see...

User is offline   randir14 

A game within a game...we need to go deeper!

View Postrandir14, on 01 May 2011 - 04:37 PM, said:

A game within a game...we need to go deeper!

a friend of mine had an idea for a virtual world INSIDE a virtual world. It would be called Third Life, your character in Second Life would sit down at his computer and create a new character in a virtual world INSIDE another virtual world! DEEPER!!! ;)

• Honored Donor

what I'm so confused about is why the RPG looks so banged up

• The Sarien Encounter

Realismâ„¢!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options