Duke4.net Forums: I think the rating system for forums is counterproductive and brings hate instead of unity! - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

I think the rating system for forums is counterproductive and brings hate instead of unity!

I have first seen a rating system on forums on the forums situated on www.facepunch.com
I have since realized that ratings bring hatred and make ignorant labeling of forum members much easier.
Maybe my thinking is wrong but I think that the pleasure of giving false thumbs down is bigger than giving deserved thumbs up.
In a community that's revolving around collaboration for duke 3d mods and ports, such competitions should not exist and a push towards communism should be made instead of this capitalistic system.

This is my theory.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 27 April 2011 - 11:55 AM

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

I think you are just bitter that you have a -16 rating.

View PostMr.Flibble, on 27 April 2011 - 11:33 AM, said:

I think you are just bitter that you have a -16 rating.

No, I have bad ratings on every form of internet media because I always post against the current.
It's easy to have positive ratings by going with the flow and always act nice with everybody.
It's very convenient and easy to assume that's why I made this topic.
I made it firstly because I saw Black Hearted (the biggest troll on the forum) had -52 and I felt that not even he deserved that and that's when I realized that I always thought ratings on forums are shit.
When I first saw the rating system on this forum I thought the same thing but recently I've come to realize that old members here are starting to tax themselves based on ratings.
Even an admin seemed pissed when he got some bad ratings. I think ratings pretty much ruin the experience of a community and offer reasons to hate each other from the smallest thing.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 27 April 2011 - 12:02 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Why is it that the people that create these threads are the ones with the negative reputation.

View PostMr.Deviance, on 27 April 2011 - 11:46 AM, said:

No, I have bad ratings on every form of internet media because I always post against the current.

If you have a bad rating on "every form of internet media" then I suspect this must be because you purposely go out of your way to disagree or post bullshit even if you don't agree with it. AKA a Troll.

I mean, what kind of feed back did you suspect you would get with creating a topic like this one when one with the exact same meaning is right underneath?

It's easy to have positive ratings by going with the flow and always act nice with everybody.

Again, this would be bullshit because their are many people on this site that I disagree with etc even when the majority of the forum would agree with them, I also speak my mind so to say.
In fact I wouldn't care if my reputation is -999 it's just a stupid number.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 27 April 2011 - 12:28 PM

User is offline   Hank 

Even an admin seemed pissed when he got some bad ratings. I think ratings pretty much ruin the experience of a community and offer reasons to hate each other from the smallest thing.

Admins do not get into a rating system, they are like Switzerland, neutral, or should be.

I agree to a point. Friends will vote for their friends. I do this, prejudice voting, as a full grown up at a technically serious forum. All you need is a couple of loyal friends. In due time, you'll be the envy ofthe forum. It's silly, really, but a lot of fun. Especially, when you come back, in a month or so, and your most hated forum member earned a new level, and you are stupid enough to actually complain. Posted Image

Yes, love and hate. Why would a forum be without that human flaw? It's just for fun, not real. Methinks. Posted Image

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Even an admin seemed pissed when he got some bad ratings.

Nah, I was pissed that somebody purposely went and abused the system by spamming negative votes and that the software has no user interface to undo such damage. I was irritated because I had to dig around in phpMyAdmin to do it because it was a waste of my time.

View PostThe Commander, on 27 April 2011 - 12:28 PM, said:

Why is it that the people that create these threads are the ones with the negative reputation.

If you have a bad rating on "every form of internet media" then I suspect this must be because you purposely go out of your way to disagree or post bullshit even if you don't agree with it. AKA a Troll.

I mean, what kind of feed back did you suspect you would get with creating a topic like this one when one with the exact same meaning is right underneath?

Again, this would be bullshit because their are many people on this site that I disagree with etc even when the majority of the forum would agree with them, I also speak my mind so to say.
In fact I wouldn't care if my reputation is -999 it's just a stupid number.

So I am not the only one that thinks ratings are a bad idea then. I didn't see that topic as I came straight to this section with the idea of making this topic without looking for older ones made with the same idea.
And how the hell is one a troll if he is suggesting something very objective in the website suggestion section?
Is that what troll means nowadays? Everybody that has something to say different is a troll? Interesting...

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 27 April 2011 - 12:51 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Bah! I troll Tx all the time, and even though he knows I'm playing around and ignores it, other forum members may not. I'm surprised I haven't caught any negative votes from other forum members when they see my rather inane comments.

From what I've seen, most negative votes are directed at caustic or stupid and pointless comments, or redundant and unnecessary threads.

Most admins fix things around here or resolve issues, so they get quite alot of positive votes. Douche bags, idiots, and trolls get negative votes.

The system isn't broke.

Only the egos of the people who see the end results of their decisions to make an abrasive or counter-productive post get scuffed.

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

Like I have stated in other threads, the system might be considered more like a forum "Compatibility Meter" than the rating to sum up an individual.

If Satan goes to the Angel forums to share his ideas, I would expect him to have a VERY low rating because the two have a dramatically different views on what is "right and wrong"... and regardless of the content of the discussions, within those expressions, HOW they are expressed would not likely be very compatible either.

I also realize that Expression "Style" Compatibility is not the only factor in this case either... content is a definite factor as well... maybe more so in Mr.Deviances case than in Blackharted... but I have to say, Blackharted has not been bitching about it that I have seen. I will be sure and give him at least one positive based on that. :D I have often wondered if Blackharted actually enjoys the status of so many negatives really... seems he promotes and enjoys the fine art of trolling, or being abrasive anyway. Might be a positive recognition for them.

I don't know if anything is "broken" either... maybe just how it is viewed.

*Disclaimer: Any relation between metaphoric example(s )and actual current forum members is purely coincidence... in other words I was not suggesting Blackharted was Satan nor anyone else angels.

***edit***
In thinking about it... if I had a TON of negative feedback here, it would not bother me at all really I don't think. I think I would either stop posting in general and just use the site purely for information rather than interaction. Or I might just leave. It makes me think of women that stay in bad relationships... why? Unless they LIKE the conflict. If I "walked into a bar" only to realize it was a gay bar (I am not gay) then I would not take it personal, I would just leave... I would know I didn't fit in there.

*Second Disclaimer: Any relation between metaphoric example(s )and actual current forum members is purely coincidence... in other words I was not suggesting Blackharted was gay nor anyone else straight. :dukegoof:

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 27 April 2011 - 03:20 PM

As long as people acknowledge that I've made this topic, not because I had a -16 rating and wanted to risk getting it even lower, but because I actually felt that rating systems on forums can cause animosities/hatred among random members and ruin it's productivity as a community, then I am fine with that and I consider the theme of this topic closed.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 27 April 2011 - 04:03 PM, said:

As long as people acknowledge that I've made this topic, not because I had a -16 rating and wanted to risk getting it even lower, but because I actually felt that rating systems on forums can cause animosities/hatred among random members and ruin it's productivity as a community, then I am fine with that and I consider the theme of this topic closed.

It's only a forum, but I acknowledge that! One peep. Posted Image

User is offline   Stabs 

ruin it's productivity as a community

LOL

like i said your people like you are detrimental to forums and you have probably turned a lot of potential new members away with your hate-filled rants that seem to be incited by the smallest of things

View PostDanM, on 27 April 2011 - 04:58 PM, said:

LOL

like i said your people like you are detrimental to forums and you have probably turned a lot of potential new members away with your hate-filled rants that seem to be incited by the smallest of things

I think you're an annoying troll or a blunt prick. If you think you know me to judge that "people like me"(what ever the fuck that means) are detrimental to the forum I also think the same thing about you.
As you can see, 2 can play this game of pointing fingers.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 27 April 2011 - 06:20 PM

User is offline   Forge 

I don't know why you even bothered. I'm sure you, like myself, are going to go about "business as usual," no matter what your rating is. Face it, even if you have a legitimate argument, and you present it in a logical and "neutral" fashion (like you have here), people are still going to have varying views on your point since you're not talking to them face to face. Some people are going to see it as complaining. Some will harp that there's already another thread similar to this one. Some will already have an opinion about your sincerity based on previous encounters with you. Some will just plain disagree with you and give you a negative mark "just because".
Is it fair? Not really. I haven't encountered very much "fair" during my *ahh--over forty--choo* years of glorious occupation on this wet space rock. I just deal and move on.

And for that you get first "vote", and it's to the positive. "just because"

I read your points very carefully Mr.Deviance... I just don't agree with them maybe because of how I choose to interpret the system.
If you had a positive 16 would you have started this thread? After reading a bunch of your posts I do believe that is a possibility. (and from that same read, I also believe it is a possibility you don't give a crap that I believe that. Hehehe)

Productivity is based on "getting along" far more than anything else.

I basically had a guy terminated from my last job... actually I didn't do it, but I asked that he be let go as a solution to some issues in the shop... and we were friends. When he found out I had suggested this (through a leak) he would not speak to me for a week at work. (the termination was not immediate)

When he finally could not take it any more he confronted me with it... he played the I am not his friend card. I explained that my job was to have the shop run smoothly. It didn't even matter if he was good at his job if he could not "get along" with others. The shop had to run smoothly and he disrupted that, it wasn't about who was right or wrong... his "way" would not allow him to keep his mouth shut... he had to go. He was arguing with others a lot about differences between their moral and religious views. Like "saying something" to people for cursing or "using his fathers name in vain" etc. He also would try to point out the err of their ways... Was he "right"? Maybe so sometimes, but it DOESN'T matter. Being right and being a productive part of the shop are separate things and things to be separated.
It was a matter of compatibility, not a matter of fairness, right and wrong, or very many other factors.

I used to have a girlfriend that was a yeller. She communicated by yelling. I don't give a damn if she was right or not, I don't communicate by yelling. Personal preference... we were incompatible. Was she wrong? Not in her world... but in mine it was a deal breaker.

Fair?
Fair is very subjective... is Mr.Deviance or Blackharted or jhect unfairly treated? I don't know and to me it doesn't matter all that much. I just see it as a lot of forum members do not like these two members posting content and or style. When my post rating ends up in the negative, I will probably view that as having minimal compatibility with the other members here. And I will drive off (or cross maybe) that bridge when I come to it.

Beneficial?
I still don't know if the system is beneficial or not... I think that will become more clear over time. (year maybe?) I realize some will abuse the system and I hope the admins can do something to control members that do that.

A good thing maybe...
One thing I think the Reputation system MIGHT help with is showing an oblivious person (who DOES care) when their postings are not being accepted well. Some people don't take hints... like "Go away, you are bothering me." kind of hints. :dukegoof:
The feedback system could help remove that kind of doubt for some that REALLY don't realize they are getting on people nerves.

Some will not care anyway... and that might be a wise stance also because they will be completely immune to the feeling abused by negatives.

Be yourself maybe... but 2.0 would not hurt.
You can improve compatibility without "losing yourself" if that is your reasoning for resistance to change. Do you go into Burger King and use your own names for their product to order them? That would be non-productive... you can still be TOTALLY you and order items from their menu using their ofter stupid names for food.

It isn't suppression of your right to be yourself to cooperate with others.

The ones that do care about the reputation system might be able to modify their forum etiquette a bit... after all if you have great ideas you want to share, and smart, wise, and interesting people you want feedback from and interaction with, it is probably worth putting at least a little bit of effort into a compatible format of your posts.

There are some strong personalities on this forum, so remember... when you are loud, or abrasive, or overly dramatic in a negative way, and you demand that forum members accept you as you are, then you will be bound to that same demand. Boisterous and aggressive and close minded might be your character, but not putting up with your crap, might be their character.

I do wonder how a poll might go if a vote on how beneficial the Reputation system is was made. I think it needs to be tested a lot more to see though.

MrBlackCat

User is offline   Forge 

I'm going to be the anti-troll and go around giving everyone positive votes.

Not really. I don't have the enthusiasm to put forth the effort, but it would be fun none the less.

User is offline   Stabs 

Why are you even reasoning with deviance? thats part of the problem the solution is

FUCK OFF YOU MR DEVIANCE DOUCHEBAG

Rep systems give you what you deserve, so suck it up princess

Mr.Blackcat, This forum is open for international users that can express themselves through english.
This means that along americans and uk people there are lots of other Duke fans that come from europe and a few from russia for the most part.
As far as I am concerned, being able to express yourself through this language doesn't automatically place you inside a circle of common ideals that are usually well known and accepted things in usa or in uk.
The reason why I wanted to point this out is because you say that some people should try to be more compatible with others.
By saying that with so much ease I realize you are treating the subject with ignorance and you don't really have any knowledge at how much cultural diversity can change the perceptions for some of the smallest things.
For ex, I find it very hard to agree on lots of things said by some people, simply because I happen to disagree with many things that maybe are loved and respected in usa by many people that grew up with them and consider them common things.
Now being part of a community I try to avoid such polemics that can lead to cultural barriers but my culture and my views are almost 180 degrees to those of some people that post here, which makes almost every post that I make seem wrong by their commonly accepted standards.
Then there are also people that have different cultures from mine, but not that extremely different as to make them instantly give me a thumbs down when they read something that I post.
So I strongly believe that mixing people of completely different cultures and ages on a forum where anybody can say that he's as old as he wants and he's from what country he wishes to say he is from and giving them the power to rate eachothers posts based on nothing else but each individual's subjectivism, is the perfect recipe for anarchy.
Asking from a moderately regulated anarchy to form a social unity and collaborate on high profile projects is simply impossible.
I would definitely like to see more projects like the HRP done by the people of this community which is also part of the reason why I decided to start this community love/hatred debate.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 27 April 2011 - 07:57 PM

View PostDanM, on 27 April 2011 - 07:15 PM, said:

Why are you even reasoning with deviance? thats part of the problem the solution is

FUCK OFF YOU MR DEVIANCE DOUCHEBAG

Rep systems give you what you deserve, so suck it up princess

I think you've proven your maturity level, you are just a lame fag so I will not even bother to be creative with a reply towards retards like you...
Here's some of your poison mirrored
FUCK OFF YOU DanM DOUCHEBAG

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 27 April 2011 - 07:47 PM

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

I was inches from voting you up, DanM...but I didn't because your post was just a little funny but not really helpful.

Mr. Deviance, you argue too much. That is the problem people may have with you. You have strong opinions and you never give room to other people's opinions even when they have the better argument.
I don't pay much attention to the DNF forum (where you frequent) but I remember enough of your posts and such to know that you have a habit of just pissing people off with your posts. Are the people voting you down because they disagree with you misusing the system? Maybe. But I doubt all of your negative votes come from people who just don't agree with you. I can disagree with people but still get along with them. I have lived with people (and currently do live with a person) with whom I don't agree on many things - things that would be deal breakers in relationships - but I get along with them because there are other things which we can agree on and (generally) discussions don't become arguments or shouting matches. There may be opinions tossed around but no one is insulted or held in a lower light afterwards. Why? Because we are intelligent people who realize that we aren't always right.

Words of advice from a wise man:

κινδυνεύει μὲν γὰρ ἡνῶν οὐδέτερος ούδὲν καλὸν κἀγαθὸν εἰδὲναι, ἀλλ' οὗτος μὲν οἴεταἰ τι είδἐναι ούκ εἰδὠς, έγὼ δὲ, ὥσπερ οὖν ούκ οἶδα, ούδὲ οἴομαι
It is likely that neither of us know anything about what is noble of good, but this one thinks he knows something while knowing nothing, while I, since I know nothing, think I know nothing.

-Socrates

This post has been edited by Mr.Flibble: 27 April 2011 - 07:53 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Mr Deviance I've never voted you down myself, but I have noticed you tend to rant a bit sometimes.

Also, there was already a perfectly good thread on this exact same topic at the very top of this forum: http://forums.duke4....ch-a-good-idea/ But you went ahead and made a new one anyway. It just seems unnecessary.

View PostMicky C, on 27 April 2011 - 07:52 PM, said:

Mr Deviance I've never voted you down myself, but I have noticed you tend to rant a bit sometimes.

Also, there was already a perfectly good thread on this exact same topic at the very top of this forum: http://forums.duke4....ch-a-good-idea/ But you went ahead and made a new one anyway. It just seems unnecessary.

I am an admin of an even bigger community than this one but oriented towards something else and maybe that's why I am interested in such debates.
This debate is part of a subject that I am interested in for multiple forums and communities not just this one.

As for the older topic I've already stated that I hadn't seen it and if it's such a big problem then why didn't anybody bother to close it earlier or have it fused with that one?
I don't have a problem with that, when I make a mistake I admit it and I move to the proper topic.
If the topic is still here and hasn't been fused or locked then maybe the staff's decision shouldn't be questioned.

Now I am under the impression that not everybody is ready to have a theoretical debate without first acting bothered on the forum like somebody stepped on their own lawn...
I have my theories I've stated them, instead of posting in big red fonts that I'm a douchebag maybe some of you might actually have some points like real people would and not like dumb animals.
Maybe I am wrong to expect more from a forum other than immature childish behaviour and the joke is on me...

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 27 April 2011 - 08:11 PM

User is offline   Stabs 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 27 April 2011 - 07:42 PM, said:

Mr.Blackcat, This forum is open for international users that can express themselves through english.
This means that along americans and uk people there are lots of other Duke fans that come from europe and a few from russia for the most part.
As far as I am concerned, being able to express yourself through this language doesn't automatically place you inside a circle of common ideals that are usually well known and accepted things in usa or in uk.
The reason why I wanted to point this out is because you say that some people should try to be more compatible with others.
By saying that with so much ease I realize you are treating the subject with ignorance and you don't really have any knowledge at how much cultural diversity can change the perceptions for some of the smallest things.
For ex, I find it very hard to agree on lots of things said by some people, simply because I happen to disagree with many things that maybe are loved and respected in usa by many people that grew up with them and consider them common things.
Now being part of a community I try to avoid such polemics that can lead to cultural barriers but my culture and my views are almost 180 degrees to those of some people that post here, which makes almost every post that I make seem wrong by their commonly accepted standards.
Then there are also people that have different cultures from mine, but not that extremely different as to make them instantly give me a thumbs down when they read something that I post.
So I strongly believe that mixing people of completely different cultures and ages on a forum where anybody can say that he's as old as he wants and he's from what country he wishes to say he is from and giving them the power to rate eachothers posts based on nothing else but each individual's subjectivism, is the perfect recipe for anarchy.
Asking from a moderately regulated anarchy to form a social unity and collaborate on high profile projects is simply impossible.
I would definitely like to see more projects like the HRP done by the people of this community which is also part of the reason why I decided to start this community love/hatred debate.

total crap just shows how much of a two faced prick you are, when the chips are down you decide to act somewhat human

lol vote me up or down Mr.Flibble i dont have a vagina to get sand in, deviance dosnt need help anyway, he needs a bullet

View PostDanM, on 27 April 2011 - 08:14 PM, said:

total crap just shows how much of a two faced prick you are, when the chips are down you decide to act somewhat human

lol vote me up or down Mr.Flibble i dont have a vagina to get sand in, deviance dosnt need help anyway, he needs a bullet

I don't need a bullet thank you, already have plenty and enough for you too if you want.
As for the chips and the two faced prick rant, it seems to fit you like a glove.
You are pretty much totally out of your league and you have absolutely no form of decency in this conversation and you also don't seem to have any point other than to curse me and derail the topic which I've already said it solved in my book.
So the joke is on you internet tough guy : )

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 27 April 2011 - 08:23 PM

View PostMr.Deviance, on 27 April 2011 - 07:42 PM, said:

No... I do understand... it is you who does not. It DOESN'T matter the cause... if you "don't fit in" then you don't, it doesn't matter where you are from or why. My co-worker didn't fit in because he was the one with a strong sense of morality. Shop became functional without him though.

How about this... if it is a cultural difference for you to be a hot chic in a bikini when you eat in a formal restaurant. TOUGH SHIT, then you will have to adapt. See? That is what I meant. EVERYWHERE you go in the real world, you will be expected to "speak the language" socially... etiquette. Here should be no different... this is an entitlement issue it sounds like, not an issue with the system.

Mr.Deviance said:

Disagreement isn't where the negatives seem to be coming from... they mostly come from acting like a jerk and being intentionally abrasive.

Mr.Deviance said:

Now being part of a community I try to avoid such polemics that can lead to cultural barriers but my culture and my views are almost at 180 degrees from some of some people that post here, which makes almost every post that I make seem wrong by their commonly accepted standards.
Then you don't fit here and the system is working. See? If you aren't gay, don't go to a gay bar and expect acceptance... or learn to speak the language. Simple.

Mr.Deviance said:

Then there are also people that have different cultures from mine but not that extremely different as to make them instantly give me a thumbs down when they read something that I post.
If anarchy is your reaction to other not understanding you, that is your choice or anyones then the rest is up to the admins...

If you are in a social setting from a business to a forum, there are formats that you will have to learn... that is called life. The system is neither fair nor unfair, it is only representative of compatibility. If I don't understand you because of cultural differences and give you a negative, it is neither fair nor unfair.

One problem with your statement though... I don't why I am bothering at this point. I have read a load of posts on this site... and cultural differences is NOT an issue, so I won't discuss that aspect any more. A vast majority of the negatives are clear and clean earned, deserved by any culture or standard.

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 27 April 2011 - 08:25 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

Who said the reputation system was to bring unity? I never felt that way.

View PostLotan, on 27 April 2011 - 08:24 PM, said:

Who said the reputation system was to bring unity? I never felt that way.

I don't think anybody said that. I did however said in this topic that I think it has the potential to bring the opposite of unity.
But as you can see I've seemed to have stepped on too many people's tails and the entire topic has been dumbed down to red fonts about me needing bullets and being a douchebag.
Interesting how some people are mo related to monkeys than others.
It takes simple topics with a slightly radical debate to show the inner beast of some members that might otherwise seem boring and calm during the week.
I propose that this topic gets locked before DanM makes some more bullet offers or before he abuses the red font again...

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 27 April 2011 - 08:34 PM

User is offline   Stabs 

you don't deserve to be spoken to with walls and text and reason i'd rather prefer to rag on you, your a joke so i will treat you like one

thank goodness my inner beast doesn't result in hate filled anti-homosexual rants, lets bring that up shall we and lets see how much people want to waste time reasoning with scum like you

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

This thread is just so precious. :dukegoof:

View PostDanM, on 27 April 2011 - 09:32 PM, said:

you don't deserve to be spoken to with walls and text and reason i'd rather prefer to rag on you, your a joke so i will treat you like one

thank goodness my inner beast doesn't result in hate filled anti-homosexual rants, lets bring that up shall we and lets see how much people want to waste time reasoning with scum like you

You are a complete waste of life. If you would have been born a fly and your only job was to suck juices out of a pile of shit, you would even fail at doing that properly...
Your lame insults only give me pleasure because it definitely shows you have some inner frustrations that are leaking out through this forum.
You are probably the silent kid type that is holding it in him, poor fella. Good thing there's internet where you can let all your anger and your frustration out.
Scream dear, cry, you can even foam at your mouth, be bad I am here for you!
Or wait no, I'm not here for you, bummer... Yet another person that doesn't need you and doesn't care about you, tough luck.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 28 April 2011 - 05:26 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options