Duke4.net Forums: Half-Life Deathmatch: Source - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Half-Life Deathmatch: Source

User is offline   Psycho87 

On July 2, 2005 Valve Software released Half-Life Deathmatch: Source. A port of the original Half-Life Deathmatch to the source engine.
Since then, a small community has formed around the game. It has only a few hundred players and only a few servers, but we think it
deserves more.

The game content is mostly that of the original Half-Life; it uses the original textures, models and sounds, but it takes advantage of
Source engine features, such as Vertex and pixel shaders for more realistic effects (including more realistic water), 3D skyboxes, specular
texture and normal maps, etc. And of course the Source engine's physics engine.

Since the original maps use the low-res Half-Life textures and models, most custom maps running on our servers use Half-Life 2 textures
and models, as well as custom ones, as can be seen in the screenshots below. Also, high-resolution packs can be found here:

HD pack: http://www.gamebanana.com/skins/15204
HD player models: http://www.gamebanan...3&qpost=5498789

The game has a much smoother feel to it than the original Half-Life, and most of us prefer it over the original game. By posting this
message on several gaming forums, we hope to attract more players. Please consider buying this game, it is only 9.99 euros in the Steam
store: http://store.steampo.../?snr=1_4_4__13

32 screenshots I made of the maps running on my server (Frag Factory): http://img156.images...2009b10030.jpg/
Another 11 screenshots by Audioman612: http://img522.images...ween000gq5.png/

User is offline   Lunick 

I would love to play Half-Life Deathmatch sometime but I don't own the game. I'm sure someone here does though.
Also nice Screen shots.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The only 9.99 euros kind of stands out considering you can get the full Duke Nukem 3D game for 5.99 american dollars, that's multiplayer and the kick-ass single levels. Also, most of us are going to be hooked on DNF within about a month and a bit.

User is offline   Stabs 

your only hope is black mesa source, and thats if it ever sees a release

User is offline   LkMax 

I already own the original Half-Life version and source games like Half-Life 2. I just don't want to pay more 10 dollars to add pretty water mod to my game...
To me, the worst thing Valve could do. ¬¬ If it was a remake like Black Mesa Source or a full graphic update like Serious Sam HD it would be worth.

It sucks major ass. As a hl deathmatch pro with multiple national championships won in the past, I can say with lots of certainty that hl dm source is a ruined game with a slightly better look due to a few engine features from source.
The game speed, the aiming speed and the way how some of it's key weapons fire have been altered in the process of porting the old game and they don't match the old game at all.
Hl dm source only gives the illusion that the game plays as it used to, just to have you cursing at how broken the weapons feel when you attempt to manipulate them by following your old instincts.
For a medium skilled hl dm player or for a noob these things aren't noticeable right away but for a guy that played the shit out of the original, hl dm source is just fucking broken beyond repairs...
I rather play the original, since it has more players and it also works as always.
There's a precise reason why the source ported version doesn't have a community and that's because the gameplay is broken and real hl dm players prefer the old one any day.
The problem with the old one however is that hackers are on all servers using aimbots and shit like that...
I much rather play hl2 dm than that crap port of hl1 dm to source.
Valve also ported the single player part of hl1 and called it Half life source, which is actually enjoyable to play since it brings the benefits of source lighting and physics to hl1's single player and the broken weapon precision is not really a life or death issue since you are just fighting dumb A.I...

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 27 April 2011 - 07:00 PM

Right, well I only played the original game a couple of times recently, and to me that game "sucks major ass". HLDMS feels better imo, which was one of the points in my original post. But I can understand HLDMS feels broken if you are used to the original game, maybe if I had played the original game first, I would feel exactly the same.

User is offline   DerickVonD 

View PostPsycho87, on 27 April 2011 - 09:38 PM, said:

Right, well I only played the original game a couple of times recently, and to me that game "sucks major ass". HLDMS feels better imo, which was one of the points in my original post. But I can understand HLDMS feels broken if you are used to the original game, maybe if I had played the original game first, I would feel exactly the same.

HLDMS is the game that sucks. All the guns feel clunky and the Gauss gun(Tau Cannon) is pretty much non-usable because it has such a big delay. Nothing in that game feels fluid at all, everything feels clunky.

View PostPsycho87, on 27 April 2011 - 09:38 PM, said:

Well mam, I'm truly sad to say this but it seems you're a bit late for your first time in a competitive hl1 match.
It's understandable that at this point you could find get into hl1 dm with it's graphics if you haven't played it back when it was in full force.
I was lucky enough to get hooked from the first day when it came out and started playing it in big lan parties that were held at it caffes that we used to have in my city back then.
I would rent a pc there for a few hours and play all kinds of games in a big lan party with other strangers that were in the same room next to me.
That's where I started to become obsessed and very skilled with this game and even moved to some competitions that were held nationally and had some cool prizes in hardware that was back then very juicy.
Hl1 is one of the most successful mp games with one of the longest lives besides quake 3 (which I never liked).
Hl1 dm still lives through the crossfire map even today.

View PostDerickVonD, on 28 April 2011 - 05:07 AM, said:

HLDMS is the game that sucks. All the guns feel clunky and the Gauss gun(Tau Cannon) is pretty much non-usable because it has such a big delay. Nothing in that game feels fluid at all, everything feels clunky.

Exactly. And when you zoom the bow the mouse speed becomes erratic and makes it almost impossible to aim at anything...
Then there are those dumb ass windows that got added where no windows existed, that change the gameplay.
And from a cosmetic standpoint, the replacement of the old school famous hl gibs with those stiff ragdolls sucks major ass.
HL Source and HL DM Source exist just for proof of concept reasons and should not be taken seriously. In fact almost nobody takes them seriously.
The only cool thing about hl source is that you can load it's maps and assets into gmod and fuck around with them in the latest version of source and mix them with other source game assets just for a quick laugh or for a machinima.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 28 April 2011 - 06:06 AM

User is offline   DerickVonD 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 28 April 2011 - 05:54 AM, said:

Well mam, I'm truly sad to say this but it seems you're a bit late for your first time in a competitive hl1 match.
It's understandable that at this point you could find get into hl1 dm with it's graphics if you haven't played it back when it was in full force.
I was lucky enough to get hooked from the first day when it came out and started playing it in big lan parties that were held at it caffes that we used to have in my city back then.
I would rent a pc there for a few hours and play all kinds of games in a big lan party with other strangers that were in the same room next to me.
That's where I started to become obsessed and very skilled with this game and even moved to some competitions that were held nationally and had some cool prizes in hardware that was back then very juicy.
Hl1 is one of the most successful mp games with one of the longest lives besides quake 3 (which I never liked).
Hl1 dm still lives through the crossfire map even today.

Exactly. And when you zoom the bow the mouse speed becomes erratic and makes it almost impossible to aim at anything...
Then there are those dumb ass windows that got added where no windows existed, that change the gameplay.
And from a cosmetic standpoint, the replacement of the old school famous hl gibs with those stiff ragdolls sucks major ass.
HL Source and HL DM Source exist just for proof of concept reasons and should not be taken seriously. In fact almost nobody takes them seriously.
The only cool thing about hl source is that you can load it's maps and assets into gmod and fuck around with them in the latest version of source and mix them with other source game assets just for a quick laugh or for a machinima.

Do you still play hl1? I'm looking for another player to play the game with. My ex friend used to play, but he turned out to be....well an insecure control freak.

View PostDerickVonD, on 28 April 2011 - 07:45 AM, said:

Do you still play hl1? I'm looking for another player to play the game with. My ex friend used to play, but he turned out to be....well an insecure control freak.

Yeah I still do sometimes I own it on steam too but I play it on rare occasions and only with real mates that I trust to not use aimbots and shit since hl has become a hacker infested dump in the last years and that's such a shame because the game has so great when played without cheats and really shows how much skill one has in using the mouse and keyboard.
But if you want, I can play it with you one of these days. Contact me over pm to give you my steam account and we can play it :dukegoof:

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 28 April 2011 - 08:22 AM

View PostDerickVonD, on 28 April 2011 - 05:07 AM, said:

Ok, I understand that if you're used to the original game, HLDMS feels off, but don't say the game feels clunky. Yes, the tau cannon has a short delay, but I can shoot someone out of the air with it's alt-fire most of the time. Also, the mouse aim becomes erratic when zooming the crossbow? I can easily shoot several players in rapid succession while zoomed in. It's all a matter of practice.

I recently tried the original game again and it feels like Gordon is walking through mud, but I will stick with it for a while and give it a chance.

By the way Mr.Deviance, what country are you from?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options