Duke4.net Forums: Gaming happy memories - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gaming happy memories  "Let's reminisce and be nostalgic"

As you read, I thought it'd be a good idea to talk about any happy memories, you've ever had in gaming and hopefully imo, one of the best periods in gaming: the 90's.

Why? Well, that time was, for me, the best time I've ever had in terms of gaming, and I just thought you all like to talk about it.

I started gaming around 1999, i have been gaming every since my dad bought me a television and my playstation one at my 7 year birthday. The game sucked lol, jurasic park. Then a few months later my dad came home with about 30 burned games ( my playstation was already chipped ) i was so happy lol. The best game of them all was crash bandicoot 3: warped. But he didn't bring me crash team racing which is the game i wanted the most because we played it at school. Then one day he came home with the game, i freaked out xD that''s probably the moment i began being a real nerd. But i love it. Gotta do what you like the most. Then i started playing final fantasy, devil may cry, ratchet and clank. It was all cool.

User is offline   Mark 

Being an "old timer" I owned the Atari 2600 and Colecovision consoles way back when. We would have a bunch of friends and my brothers competing head to head on many of the 2-4 player games.

But things got real exciting when I bought an Atari 800 computer sometime during the 80's. I got hooked on the text only Scott Adams adventure games 1-12. It was massively exciting when someone re-released them with "powerful 16 color" graphics. :dukegoof: By this time I was a few years out of high school and had a weekly paycheck. Myself and others took turns buying a game in cartridge form and passing them around to play. We had a pretty good collection going for a couple of years. Lots of fun.

Then, an intensified interest in girls forced me away from almost all computing for about 10 years. Sometime during those years I had an Atari ST I think it was called. I used it mostly for multitrack music recording and editing.

Sometime in the mid 90's I got back into computing and gaming with a PC. I bought and played some newer games. But I still yearned to run the stuff from the good old days so I found emulator programs to run them. But then Duke3D came along and that got me started on the path to FPS games that I still enjoy most these days.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

I played Sonic 2 the month it came out. I had just turned four.

Almost twenty years later, I'm still a Sega fanatic. They were the greatest company in the history of video games. Seriously, C'mon. AM2. Sonic Team. Sega Technical Institute. Fuckin' A. Their dev teams make nerds man-boobs hard the world over.

All Sega ever did was push boundaries.

Sonic was revolutionary when it came out, and even today no platformer approaches Sonic 3 and Knuckles, in my opinion. Yu Suzuki pushed what people thought was possible in the early 90's with Virtua Racing and Virtua Fighter, then blew peoples minds with Shenmue seven years later. STI was behind numerous fresh and innovative games such as Comix Zone, and provided all the fancy programming Sonic Team couldn't handle. NiGHTS was a masterpiece of the highest order. The Dreamcast was chock full of great unique first party titles like Crazy Taxi, Jet Grind Radio, Seaman, Space Channel 5 and Sega Marine Fishing.

Hardware wise, they had the first active 3D glasses for consumer use, the first 16-bit machine, two systems with web browsers/online play (Saturn/Dreamcast), they pioneered digital distribution with Sega Channel, designed the first console (Dreamcast) with industry standard API's (DirectX 6, OpenGL 1.1), introduced the concept of upgradeable RAM to consoles with the Saturn, designed (and later cancelled) Sega VR, and made the first multiprocessor systems. I'll stop but I could go on for hours about this.

Sega was the best company ever because they were the complete antithesis of what the video game industry has become. All Sega ever did was out innovate itself and take risks. They had an obsession with being first to market with everything.

Hayao Nakayama ran the company into the ground during the Saturn debacle. I'm convinced that, combined with their continual need to one up themselves killed the company.

It's sad. January 31st marked the tenth anniversary of the Dreamcast's death. If any console deserved to succed, it was Dreamcast, and when it left, console gaming died for me. I switched to PC gaming a year later, and I ain't gonna lie, compared to the eighteen months Dreamcast was alive, it's shit. Great cannot compete with mindblowing. No one will ever replace Sega because no company will ever have the sheer balls they possessed.

R.I.P. Sega. You left one hell of an awesome legacy. Hopefully, in the next decade, you will not be known as a laughing stock, but as the risk taking, bullsy, innovative, quality obsessed bastard you really were.

SEGA!

This post has been edited by Descent: 21 April 2011 - 08:27 PM

View PostDescent, on 21 April 2011 - 08:22 PM, said:

R.I.P. Sega. You left one hell of an awesome legacy. Hopefully, in the next decade, you will not be known as a laughing stock, but as the risk taking, bullsy, innovative, quality obsessed bastard you really were.

SEGA!

A legacy yeah. That's great.

Sega does still publish good games.

No platformer imo can match Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped! that and one or two others started me down the path of video games.

I wish the 90's could come back. :dukegoof:

View PostDescent, on 21 April 2011 - 08:22 PM, said:

The reason it became funny is... Sega spent all of their advertising time telling people why NOT to buy Nintendo instead of telling them why to buy Sega.

Anyway, if i really make a full post here, it'd probably be a tldr; I still have vivid memories of 80's arcades, the Atari consoles, my C64... and so on and so on...

This post has been edited by wayskobfssae: 22 April 2011 - 10:34 AM

I remember playing those Good ole' DOS Games in the 90's.

The very first DOS game I played was Commander Keen: Marooned on Mars.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

I loved the older dos stuff. My all time favorite systems are Dreamcast, Genesis, and DOS PC. I don't run DOSBox, I actually custom build my own DOS machines. They sound better and run smoother and have more features (i.e. OpenGL, Glide).

DOS has so many unique, interesting indie games.

Anyone else here play Halloween Harry, a.k.a. Alien Carnage? I feel like the only guy who played that...

Something like three or four Aussie teenagers made that game on a whim. You'd never believe that playing it though. It's so polished, and it looks beautiful and sounds phenomenal.

This post has been edited by Descent: 22 April 2011 - 06:20 PM

Ya can't beat 90's gaming imo. Just thinking about makes me happy.

User is offline   Hank 

I'm not a gamer. For me the best years in gaming is now. We have a horde of 'free' game engines, model, sound and images programs, that rock. I liked Build, in the latter part of the nineties, but I like Eduke32 2011 better. As for games Minecraft, Final Fantasy come to mind. Yes, I still like my first game I owned, Quake, but, well, come on, it's done, like all toys, when they are toast they are toast.

View PostHank, on 24 April 2011 - 12:40 PM, said:

I'm not a gamer.

So why the fuck are you here?

Almost all of the forum involves video game and centre's around one in particular.

Anyway............ Errrr The N64 was awesome.

This post has been edited by blackharted: 24 April 2011 - 03:31 PM

User is offline   Hank 

moved

This post has been edited by Hank: 16 May 2011 - 11:31 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

I used to have fun playing pinball. Then my parent got a Pong game tv hook-up. I though that was the best. Then a couple years later they bought a Breakout game tv hook-up which was really cool. A few years after that Space Invaders and then Asteroids came out in the Arcade. Went through several home cartridge consoles: Atari, sega, nintento (one of my friends had an ataria 800 computer, and another had a commodore 64 - lots of late nights with chips and soda programming stuff) until around '93 when I bought my first PC.

Good times, good times

User is offline   ch108 

Blood (1997) *sigh* I still wish more games had the ability to prod people with pitchforks.

View PostDescent, on 22 April 2011 - 06:11 PM, said:

I loved the older dos stuff. My all time favorite systems are Dreamcast, Genesis, and DOS PC. I don't run DOSBox, I actually custom build my own DOS machines. They sound better and run smoother and have more features (i.e. OpenGL, Glide).

Anyone else here play Halloween Harry, a.k.a. Alien Carnage? I feel like the only guy who played that...

Something like three or four Aussie teenagers made that game on a whim. You'd never believe that playing it though. It's so polished, and it looks beautiful and sounds phenomenal.

You are not alone.

With the exception that I see you have no nintendo love, I have to say I really share your love for old school games and even though I never went so far as to build my custom dos pc due to time and space, I did take the extra time to perfect myself at configuring dosbox to the point where I can run any game as if it's native. With dosbox it's all in the crycle settings and the core settings. Once you get them set up properly for each game, you can obtain the exact if not better results than with a real dos machine.
Probably the only benefit that you might get from a real dos machine, is that you have an old school monitor that works better with the pixelated games from back then.
I have lots of old school consoles from back when I bought and played them. They all still work and I still have the cartridges for them.
Indeed dos has it's unique ambient for games that's very different to nes, snes or genesis games.
I always loved the frequent theme where you would see electronic boards or floppy disks in dos games, either as backgrounds or as items that you could pick up.
I did play Alien Carnage back in the 90's and I did love it very much and for some reason I always used to mix it up with duke nukem 2.
However, you are definitely not the only guy that played it and I can assure you that it's a well known classic that even has reviews on youtube.

Here are a few games that I consider to be at the border of known and unknown by everybody, that I used to play back in the day and still have memories of them to this day.

Alien Rampage (made by softdisk is a game that I had to search 3 years until I found it again due to forgetting it's complete name)
Gender Wars ( a bird's eye view game that fascinated me very much back then and even though my english was shit and I didn't even know what gender meant back then and didn't know that men were fighting women in that game, I loved it's ambient very much. It's by Eidos)
Ringworld - Revenge of the Patriarch (I never played more than the shareware of this game made by "Tsunami Games" but it was my first point and click adventure game that fascinated me with an ambient that I find to be similar to flashback's first jungle level)
Blue Force(It's another point and click adventure game made by "Tsunami Games" and I discovered this game at the same time with Ringworld. It fascinated me with it's ambient and with it's hardness back then especially because I barely understood english and didn't really know wtf I was doing there)
Metal Rage: Defender of the Earth(This is probably a really cryptic game that almost nobody heard about made by "Titus Interactive" but it's a 3d game where you play as a tank through a city at dawn and when I played it back them It seemed realistic and had a great ambient.
I still think it has a kick ass logo even today
Posted Image)

There are a few more rare dos games that I liked and I am forgetting their name right now and I would totally need to hunt for them for some hours in order to find them again...
You might want to try these games if you haven't already, they all have a strong old school feel to them.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 05 May 2011 - 09:48 PM

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

Actually I bought the back-up tapes from Software Creations BBS when they closed. It had pretty much all the shareware through 1996. One of the tapes in the series failed however. I still have a lot of the shareware though. It was like 40,000 zip files... maybe more. I forget now. But remember there were several versions of each download game it it was not near that many unique games. I still have the Software Creations BBS Closure letter I received, in its envelope.

Anyway, I keep two old Pure DOS machines as well, a 386SX and a 486DX 100 (PCI Buss!). They do have Windows 3.11 on them I can load up just for fast tile copies though. :o

But all of my gaming computers boot into DOS even if they run Windows 95/98, (BootGUI=0) then load DOS menu systems with options to load IPX and NET Drivers for different games to be played. I also only use 16bit sound cards with manual port/interrupts so all games will work in and out of Windows. ;)

I have Alien Carnage Boxed... ;) I got to play it also. I pretty much left most game styles First Person Shooters came out though. I don't think I ever finished Electro Man, Halloween Harry, Jill of the Jungle, JetPack, Keen games, Crystal Caverns, Major Stryker, Bio Menace, and a pile of those old games from back then. But I have them for when I get ready. ;)

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 06 May 2011 - 06:23 AM

I am recently motivating myself to replay dos games with the psp dosbox emulator.
It somehow makes more sense to me to play side scrollers from all platforms on a handheld than on my main gaming rigs.
When I am on my main gaming rigs, I don't ever feel motivated to play old games.

Have you tried playing them on a smaller screen? I experienced something similar to what you say playing DOS games on my normal 19" Monitor... One day I was looking for something to do with Wolfenstein and the only other computer that was on has a 14" monitor, so I loaded up Wolfenstein to see whatever it was I wanted to see and started playing it just seemed "right" on the smaller screen. ;)

I have 14's and 15's for all my old machines except daily use internet computer.

MrBlackCat

View PostMrBlackCat, on 06 May 2011 - 05:35 PM, said:

Have you tried playing them on a smaller screen? I experienced something similar to what you say playing DOS games on my normal 19" Monitor... One day I was looking for something to do with Wolfenstein and the only other computer that was on has a 14" monitor, so I loaded up Wolfenstein to see whatever it was I wanted to see and started playing it just seemed "right" on the smaller screen. ;)

I have 14's and 15's for all my old machines except daily use internet computer.

MrBlackCat

I already said above. On my psp it's definitely on a small screen lol. The cool thing about playing dos games on psp is that the psp screen is 480 × 272 which is close to the low res screens from back then.
The problem is that dosbox for psp is not up to date and I can't get all of my dos favorites to run at full frame rate and without sound chopping.
I really hope the NGP will get hacked like the psp did and get a huge community like the psp did.
With it's raw power, the NGP is perfectly suited to become the first pocket device where you can emulate any piece of hardware ever released, with the exception of ps3 and 360 consoles.
The psp is just 333 mhz and 64mb ram that are not even used all. If the psp would have had at least 500mhz and 128 mb ram, I think you could potentially run any dos game at full speed. The NGP is kind of overkill for emulating old platforms and buying it just for that would not really justify my purchase.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 07 May 2011 - 12:39 AM

View PostMrBlackCat, on 06 May 2011 - 05:35 PM, said:

MrBlackCat

That makes sense. One of my computers here is attached to a 17 inch CRT, and I would much rather play my oldies on that than on my laptop, which is widescreen - ick!

That said I do use the lapop for more modern games, eduke32 and DooM.

This post has been edited by trencheel303: 10 May 2011 - 03:03 PM

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

One of my first memories was beating Super Mario Bros. 3 when I was four years old. I used to be such a damn good gamer when I was young, but time has definitely taken its toll on me. As for the console wars I always stayed a Nintendo fan, but I did like playing some games on Sega Genesis like Contra. Then came the time when I found out about computers and emulators. I would play Super Mario 64 on the old Ultrahle emulator. Eventually I started playing real Nintendo 64 games which were fun as hell.

When I was growing up and I discovered computers when I was four, I saw my brothers were almost constantly playing Duke Nukem 3D. I'd beg to play, an the answer was always no. Until one day they finally gave in, until I happened to repeat a swear word... So it wasn't for another couple years before I really got serious into Duke3D.

Then I discovered Quake, another great game that also came out the year I was born like Duke3D. I was 8 years old, and I found out how to connect to game servers and I found a team fortress mod. That's when I first realized I wanted to make games. I learned a lot from those guys on that server, but I could never understand how to program until just last year.

I miss the good old days when I was just a kid that hardly had a clue what anything meant and I could just play. It sucks to grow up.

Wait until you start growing up proper... living in your own house, working, doing the dishes... it only gets worse, believe me.

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

View Posttrencheel303, on 11 May 2011 - 03:53 AM, said:

Wait until you start growing up proper... living in your own house, working, doing the dishes... it only gets worse, believe me.

I know. Aside from my happy gaming and computer history, I've had a really crappy life. Lots of things happened to me, my parents got divorced illegally, my mother left me, my brothers and sisters all have some mental issues from bulimia to schizophrenia, everything has forced me to grow up faster than normal. I know the world sucks.

Anyway, I went out on rant and derailed the topic... Sorry about that.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostSpirrwell, on 11 May 2011 - 09:43 AM, said:

I know. Aside from my happy gaming and computer history, I've had a really crappy life. Lots of things happened to me, my parents got divorced illegally, my mother left me, my brothers and sisters all have some mental issues from bulimia to schizophrenia, everything has forced me to grow up faster than normal. I know the world sucks.

Why being sorry? Rant away I say, yes honestly. If one does not like to read it, one does not have to; AND derailing a forum topic is the Trademark of a true Duke forum goer! Posted Image

View PostSpirrwell, on 11 May 2011 - 09:43 AM, said:

Wow, it's weird to see someone's life being so much different than mine. I was forced to not grow because my parents and other people cared too much about me i think. Ended up with sociophobia ;) I've had it for over 10 years now and i am only 18 ;)

User is offline   Skulldog 

My first hand held game Matel Football .

http://www.handheldm...l/ClassicFB.htm

View PostSkulldog, on 15 May 2011 - 01:25 PM, said:

My first hand held game Matel Football .

http://www.handheldm...l/ClassicFB.htm

I loved that game! I never had it, but my cousin did and I played it a lot. That has to be super old come to think of it, because that was before I could drive I think...maybe 1978 or 1979? Anyway, it was high-tech back then. :)

MrBlackCat

User is offline   Betelgeuse 

• Honored Donor

bubble bobble on the nes was an old favourite of mine, me and my sister used to play that to death, i remember getting to level one hundred and something just by using the umbrellas i think, it's all a bit fuzzy, but a great memory. :)

View Postch108, on 04 May 2011 - 10:19 AM, said:

Blood (1997) *sigh* I still wish more games had the ability to prod people with pitchforks.

i wish they would make a blood three

This post has been edited by duke4everman: 16 May 2011 - 01:59 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options