Duke4.net Forums: Duke 3D Angled Shading - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 3D Angled Shading  "This Is Just A Pain In The Ass To Accomplish"

User is offline   Nukester10 

I was watching this Duke3D video tutorial on angled shading by Databamse off of YouTube.
They explained what they called the "proper way" to create angled shading on walls.
What I found out is that this "proper way" even though it may be is not as "easy"
as I thought it was going to be.

First they created a square room.

Second they placed inserts just inside of each corner of the room to create new sectors.

Third they pressed the Spacebar and ran a line from one side to the other,but it didn't turn red
right away for them like it did for me,that was strange in itself,It's like they had to go back and
make the white line turn red later on by hitting some key on the right insert on the screen.
Grant it they are using Build and I'm using Mapster32 maybe that has something to do with it
and maybe it's not important I don't know,anyway like I said as fast as I made the line, it turned
red for me immediately.

Note:I'm just focusing on one side of the room here so this doesn't get to confusing in case
anybody was wondering.

Forth,they said,"We want to set the tiny left side wall as the sectors first wall,because we
need to tilt it in order to create angular shade". in which I did.

Fifth,they said,"let's setup the room" and in 2D mode they pressed the (Alt Key) then, pressed the
left mouse button and grabbed the whole thing and it all lit up in the color green,then
they went into 3D mode.Once they where in 3D mode they where able to resize the room
without anything getting screwed up.

Sixth, they went back into 2D mode and they pressed the (Alt Key) again to turn off the green.

Seventh,they went back into 3D mode again a grabbed a tile,tile "3387" to be specific.

Eighth,with this tile they tiled the whole room except for the ceiling and floor in the tiny sector.

THIS PART HERE MIGHT BE WHERE THINGS START GETTING SCREWED UP I DON'T KNOW

NINTH,THEY SAID,"PAY CLOSE ATTENTION,I WILL SEPARATE THE CEILING AND FLOOR
BY PRESSING '2' ON THE KEYBOARD".

ALL THEY SHOW YOU IN 3D MODE IS THEM POINTING AT THE WALL AND ALSO THE
TINY WALL.YOU KNOW FOR THIS PART I WISH THEY WOULD HAVE MADE A TARGET
ON THE WALL OR SOMETHING SO YOU KNEW EXACTLY WHERE ON THE WALL TO AIM BEFORE YOU
PRESSED THE ('2' Key).

Also,btw I was assuming they meant for you to press the '2' in the uppermost left corner of the keyboard but
they didn't actually say,so by assuming that was the key to press,that's exactly what i did.

TENTH,THEY SAID,"OK,THEY ARE SEPARATE NOW,WHAT I WILL DO NOW IS TILT BOTH SECTORS SO
THAT THEY CAN BE SHADED DARK".

ELEVENTH,THEY ANGLED BOTH SECTORS AND BROUGHT THEM TOGETHER LIKE A SANDWICH.

TWELFTH,THEY SAID,"WE CAN NOW APPLY A DARKER SHADOW ON THE LOWER PART OF THE
SECTOR" AND IN 3D MODE YOU CAN SEE THAT'S WHAT THEY DID.AFTER THEY ADDED THE SKY
TO THE CEILING AND PARALLAXED IT,THAT WAS ABOUT PRETTY MUCH IT FOR THE TUTORIAL.

IF ANYBODY COULD EXPLAIN WHAT THEY THINK WENT WRONG AND HOW TO FIX IT THAT
WOULD BE GREAT.YOU CAN DO THIS TECHNIQUE IN MAPSTER32 RIGHT?

JUST IN CASE ANYBODY ASKS,"WHERE'S THE VIDEO ON YOUTUBE AT?",HERE'S HOW YOU
CAN FIND IT FOR REFERENCE SO YOU KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT,

SEARCH ON YOUTUBE:

DUKE NUKEM 3D - Build Tutorial 9

By Databamse

This post has been edited by Nukester10: 10 April 2011 - 12:24 PM

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

I really recommend reading some modern mapping guide like Ryan Lennox' Duke Nukem 3D Informational Suite.
Once you're confident with the basics, that effect should be fairly easy to figure out by oneself.

Mapster is really hard to get into the first time you see it. You should look at the guide that helix showed you. Don't try without a guide like me ^^

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

They're talking about this: http://infosuite.duke4.net/

Edit: whoops lol I just realized Helixhorned DID link it but the colour was the same so I couldn't tell.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 10 April 2011 - 02:04 PM

View PostMicky C, on 10 April 2011 - 02:03 PM, said:

They're talking about this: http://infosuite.duke4.net/

Edit: whoops lol I just realized Helixhorned DID link it but the colour was the same so I couldn't tell.

Wow! Unbelievable!
By following Ryan's tutorial I was able to create angled shading in less then 5 minutes on the first try!
In Ryan's tutorial it seemed so simple to accomplish.

1.I created a square sector

2.As shown in the tutorial, on the righthand side of the sector I placed 2 inserts then connected them
with a white line which immediately turned red.

3.Next going into 3D mode I grabbed the upper portion of the wall and angled it accordingly as well as
angling the lower portion.This part was kind of a pain in the ass because I couldn't get the angle to
move precisely until I pressed the (Shift Key + [ or ] Keys ) then it moved in slow and precise enough so as I
could get it lined up properly corner to corner then I did the same thing with the lower angle and
brought them both together like a sandwich.

4.As described, I then pointed the cursor on the top angle and pressed the '2' Key.

5.Finally I started to shade the bottom portion and Finite.

After step 2 Ryan said,

Note: To avoid accidentally clipping through these slanted walls in the map editor, you could simply block the red two-sided wall in 2D mode with B. This will not affect gameplay.

I don't know if this is absolutely necessary but as a safety precaution I decided to go with it and it does sound like a really good idea, when you think about it.So I'm going to stick to the letter.

I'd like to mention one other thing to any newbie besides myself who might be reading this right now.
I'm going to give you a tip and here it is,

STAND BACK AS FAR FROM THE WALL WHEN ANGLING IT, AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN.
THE MORE OF THE WALL YOU CAN SEE, THE EASIER THE JOB WILL BE,ESPECIALLY
WHEN YOUR LINING UP THE CORNERS PRECISELY WITH THE (SHIFT KEY + [ OR ] KEYS).

Anyhow,

Thanks A Whole Bunch Guys!

Here's The Final Result,

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Nukester10: 10 April 2011 - 07:08 PM

OH, you are talking about what i call multiwalls. Yea that technique is awesome. And it's rare to see in maps which is a shame because it gives a really nice touch to very limited mapster32.

View PostJhect, on 11 April 2011 - 08:25 AM, said:

very limited mapster32.

Are you trying to say mapster32 isn't as good as Build?

I thought mapster32 was supposed to be an added improvement over Build.At least that's what everybody keeps
telling me.

This post has been edited by Nukester10: 11 April 2011 - 09:08 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

No, he's saying the Build engine is limited, which is true. Mapster32 is a huge addition to the functionality of the original Build editor.

ya, that's true.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

EDIT: Delete this.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 13 April 2011 - 11:39 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options