Duke4.net Forums: Help needed for texture - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help needed for texture

User is offline   Mark 

I am in need of a "normal map" for this texture.

If anyone has a little time to kill and already has the graphics program could you create one for me? No time consuming hand detailed type, unless you want to, but hopefully an auto-created one will work OK. Or if this texture is too detailed for the auto-create version let me know.

Thanks.

This post has been edited by Marked: 09 April 2011 - 03:39 PM

User is offline   E.C.S 

Well, I did a quick Normal mapping, but maybe wait for a better version of someone else.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 3799 - Normal Map.png

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Here's an automatic one I did, I'm not sure how well it'll work since I've heard about channels needing to be flipped or something weird. Rep me if you find it useful :dukegoof: :D

Edit: NOOOOOOO too late! Although my version has an alpha channel which could mean it has a parallax map baked into it.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 3799.png

This post has been edited by Micky C: 09 April 2011 - 04:29 PM

User is offline   Gambini 

Micky C´s one is good. I suggest making it blurry to the point where the little scratches vanishe and then increase the contrast.

User is offline   Mark 

They both work and I am in the process of tweaking the textures and the settings in the def file for the best results. Thanks to both guys.

Adding a normal to the texture does produce a problem in my map. I used that same texture for some ceiling sprites and they look all goofy. I'll have to have a seperate copy of that texture without the normal.

This post has been edited by Marked: 09 April 2011 - 05:19 PM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

How does it look exactly?

User is offline   Mark 

I'm about to shut things down for the night so I don't have a screen shot. The best way to describe it is it looks like the texture is encased in a block of ice. Kind of neat but it doesn't fit in.

User is offline   Mark 

This happens in Polymer only. You can easily verify it. Take any HRP texture with normals, say 240, and make a floor aligned sprite. Raise it up to a height above the player ( remember to make the sprite 2 sided so you can see it)

You will notice the glitch a little in mapster. It kicks in even more in the game itself. As I said before, it shimmers like the texture is encased in ice. But if you look down on the sprite from above it looks normal except for a slight streching on 1 edge.

I noticed this glitch at least 6 or 8 months ago but no one else mentioned it. I figured it was either a problem on my end or no one else was mapping with sprite ceilings like I was so I kept quiet.

This post has been edited by Marked: 10 April 2011 - 03:45 AM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Oh, a sprite. OK, I'm not even sure this is supposed to work right; I'll make sure I check it out to see exactly what happens in this case. Thanks!

User is offline   Hank 

well, me too!

images are gone? will upload later.

now my questions, (I looked but did not find an explanation)

texture 3841 {
pal ? { file "dukedc/textures/_d.png" specpower ? specfactor ? }
normal { file "dukedc/textures/_n.png" parallaxbias ?.?? parallaxscale ?.?? }
specular { file "dukedc/textures/_s.png" }
}

What values would be appropriate?
And where does that code snipped go?
Since I have not seen this myself, any suggestions for improvements?
Should I make a new topic? (If yes, delete, and I'll make one when I come back) Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 13 June 2011 - 03:06 PM

Looking good.

Instead of making a ground texture i use sectors to make patterns. It makes it look more fresh. Though it takes a lot of time sometimes :S

User is offline   Mark 

The lines of code would be placed in a .def file

Look in a def file in the game for how another texture was entered in. Start out with similar numbers and see how it looks in the game. Then start tweaking the numbers until you like what you see.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMarked, on 07 June 2011 - 07:05 PM, said:

The lines of code would be placed in a .def file

Look in a def file in the game for how another texture was entered in.

Thanks. One down!
Still, if one is willing to give more hints ... Posted Image

User is offline   Hank 

How do you get those tiles in?
On tiles014.art file I placed a fake floor tile in slot # 3837. In the autoload/polymer_hrp/highres/textures folder I placed the better resolution files. In the autoload/polymer_hrp/highrestexture.def I wrote arbitrarily

//Tiles014
texture3837 {
pal0 { file "highres/textures/rtile001_d.png" specpower 20specfactor 2.5 }
normal{ file "highres/textures/rtile001_n.png" parallaxbias 0.04parallaxscale 0.06 }
specular{ file "highres/textures/rtile001_s.png" }
}

I see the fake, but not the hi resolution. What am I missing? Posted Image

sorry for the double post.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

You have no spaces between things. That's why.

"texture 3837" not "texture3837" etc

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMblackwell, on 08 June 2011 - 08:59 PM, said:

You have no spaces between things. That's why.

"texture 3837" not "texture3837" etc

That's is the problem with the forum editor, it combines words. Still, here is the code straight from my editor, just in case it's a typo

// Tiles014
texture 17 {
   pal 0 { file "highres/textures/0017_d.png"  }
   normal { file "highres/textures/0017_n.png" parallaxbias 0 parallaxscale 0.05 }
   specular { file "highres/textures/0017_s.png" }
  }
// Tiles015

Is there a debugger for this?
I checked the file names, I am missing something obvious.
Or is there a link on how one should actually get custom tiles into this game? Posted Image

I moved to tile number 17 to see if it just an issue with the tile files, same result.
I changed the texture script above. No change. It does not pass anywhere that tile.
Next I replaced an actual hi-res tile. No change. So it's a cache that reads the folder that needs to be updated.

This post has been edited by Hank: 11 June 2011 - 06:40 AM

User is offline   Hank 

Bump
All known, to me, tile artist have visited the forum, so I'm bumping the topic, just in case it's gotten missed, after all DNF is number one topic. Posted Image

I want to know how to integrate custom tiles into Eduke32. The goal is to issue tile014.art and tile015.at as place holder files and ship the hi-res files with the correlating number sequences in the zipped file. Any TC maker or mapper can pick and choose wanted tiles and simply rename the hi-resfiles name. Re-do Edit Art received a cool reception, fine, I'm not making a program for one download, yet what method/program is this community currently using?

User is offline   Mark 

I think that texture 17 should be texture 0017 in the first line.

I found out that sometimes after making changes to the tiles I needed to delete my texture and texture cache files and let them be re-built next time you run the game.

I have never replaced a tile from the original HRP area like tile 0017 so I'm not sure if the new texture will show up in mapster's texture selector. You might have to add a line using the "tilefromtexture" command.

But even if it doesn't show in Mapster's texture selector, it will show on the editing screen and in the game if everything else is correct.

This post has been edited by Marked: 11 June 2011 - 07:12 AM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMarked, on 11 June 2011 - 07:01 AM, said:

I think that texture 17 should be texture 0017 in the first line.

I found out that sometimes after making changes to the tiles I needed to delete my texture and texture cache files and let them be re-built next time you run the game.

I have never replaced a tile from the original HRP area like tile 0017 so I'm not sure if the new texture will show up in mapster's texture selector. You might have to add a line using the "tilefromtexture" command.

But even if it doesn't show in Mapster's texture selector, it will show on the editing screen and in the game if everything else is correct.

Thanks @ the bold, does this go into the game.con?

User is offline   Mark 

You can add those lines into the duke3d.def file

User is offline   Hank 

no luck. there is something everyone does which I don't know, what who knows. Anyway thanks for your help. Posted Image We stay lo-res.

User is offline   Mark 

Hey Micky C: If you could do just one more normal for me on this texture I promise I'll get off my lazy butt and install GIMP and the filters to do them myself. :(

Thanks in advance.

This post has been edited by Marked: 15 July 2011 - 04:07 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I almost didn't click on this thread Posted Image

Here you go: :(

But you have to promise to show me a picture of it in-game :(

Edit: hmm, you might want to compress it.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 3626.png

This post has been edited by Micky C: 15 July 2011 - 09:41 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Thanks again. I'll post a pic later today or tomorrow.

ADDED: I was wondering if it's the program that seems to be adding a texture to the normal or if you added it in yourself. It looks kind of like a sponge texture. After taking these screenshots of without and with lighting I messed around with the contrast and softened it which improved a little but I'm still not completely thrilled with the results.

This post has been edited by Marked: 16 July 2011 - 04:35 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I answered my own question. I installed the program and add-on and tried it myself.

Its the program adding that sponge looking texture. I'm sure that with enough messing with all the settings I can get what I want.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options