Duke4.net Forums: new design & ranks - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

new design & ranks

User is offline   Honza 

Hi,
first of all - congratulations to new forums design - it's really nice and it fits Duke Nukem Forever ;) - seriously I've seen lots of HW/gaming/suppport/investing forums and this is one of the best looking and still highly usable.

What I consider a bit problematic is EGO based on post count - especially with users as blackharted who even in his signature says "Trolling is awesome." spits his crap totally useless offtopic in every topic and simply gains more EGO while he should get exactly opposite - imagine that we would have 10 or even 20 users like blackharted - the forums would become total mess.

For some time (like 3 months) I've blackharted in my ignore list becase I don't want to waste my time with him unfortunately not everyone is around long enough to do this.

This post has been edited by Honza: 28 March 2011 - 01:42 PM

User is offline   Stabs 

damn you

damn you all to hell

you blew it up

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

You do realize it's a mimic of the Egobar in DNF? It's just a fun indication of post count, not to be taken too seriously.

Something else, you have a user on ignore, for months, but still waste time with him now, in your opening post.
He has a huge ego though...so it works. But it's not some sort of reward for postwhores. ;) It's in no way problematic.

Don't make this thread about Coeur Noir.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

View PostSplat, on 28 March 2011 - 01:58 PM, said:

Haha. I know what that means.

Anyway, I don't see myself voting up post as it were in general. Maybe there will be some general trends eventually. Who knows, it could become a way to rank post at some point.
Personally, I liked the titles, but I'm an attention whore; I'm OK with the egobar since it is DNF related and this is a DNF fan site.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostSplat, on 28 March 2011 - 01:58 PM, said:

You do realize it's a mimic of the Egobar in DNF? It's just a fun indication of post count, not to be taken too seriously.

Why not? It's harder to see, especially if you are like ancient in years, me for example! Anyway, what is this Reputation thingy?, Bottom left, hard to see too, dark, grey on black.

b.t.w. ban me if you like, but the color scheme sucks! ;) plus where is my fav smilie? the phear one?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I like it.

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

what is this Reputation thingy?, Bottom left, hard to see too, dark, grey on black

I don't see anything hard to see. Except the little icon linking to profile, next to username. And the black "splat" underneath "EGO"

In fact, all i see is a badass skin. ;)

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View PostHank, on 28 March 2011 - 02:16 PM, said:

Why not? It's harder to see, especially if you are like ancient in years, me for example! Anyway, what is this Reputation thingy?, Bottom left, hard to see too, dark, grey on black.

b.t.w. ban me if you like, but the color scheme sucks! ;) plus where is my fav smilie? the phear one?

There should be a user option to change the look (skin) like there was before. Might be the only skin available at this time. This just might take a little getting use to.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostVinsaneOne, on 28 March 2011 - 03:32 PM, said:

There should be a user option to change the look (skin) like there was before. Might be the only skin available at this time.

No, this is to complex. Besides I had my say. ;)

• I have the power!

They had the dark skin previously in addition to the traditional skin. It may be possible for there to be a variation that is a dark on light skin rather than a light on dark skin. I don't have much of a preference personally, however.

User is offline   ferran275 

you say "mobile integration" what does that mean exactly?

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View Postferran275, on 28 March 2011 - 09:01 PM, said:

you say "mobile integration" what does that mean exactly?

A special version of the forum will be available on mobile platforms (ie smartphones) and you can enhance it further by getting the app http://www.invisionp...om/suite/iphone -- I think there's an Android version available too.

User is offline   Lunick 

If you come to the site through Safari on your iPhone/iPod Touch it automatically goes into mobile version and works fine, I'm using it on my iPod now.

User is offline   ferran275 

View PostYatta, on 28 March 2011 - 09:16 PM, said:

A special version of the forum will be available on mobile platforms (ie smartphones) and you can enhance it further by getting the app http://www.invisionp...om/suite/iphone -- I think there's an Android version available too.

friggin sweet! ;)

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

I agree, black background with barely visible text - really bad for the eyes. Spend a couple of minutes staring at these boards and you just have to go elsewhere.

This post has been edited by Mikko_Sandt: 29 March 2011 - 10:12 AM

• I have the power!

plus where is my fav smilie? the phear one?

;)? ;)?

ninja and ph34r

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

Font for posts made brighter.

Posted Image

See how it goes.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostSplat, on 29 March 2011 - 11:36 AM, said:

Font for posts made brighter.

See how it goes.

Better, but my reading speed is still slowed down. Grey on grey keeps being a bad choice. Why not use the colour of the user names?

User is offline   Kathy 

Yay. A black forum!

Too bad the previous ranks were dumped. I likedgoing up the monsters' ladder.

Btw, how does the reputation work? Couldn't find it in the help.

This post has been edited by Lotan: 29 March 2011 - 11:55 AM

• I have the power!

I think it is by post, but I can't tell. Ideally, in time...right?

Also, I like the new font better. I am ambivalent about dark-on-light vs. light-on-dark but I know people who have strong opinions about it.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostLeoD, on 29 March 2011 - 11:44 AM, said:

Better, but my reading speed is still slowed down. Grey on grey keeps being a bad choice. Why not use the colour of the user names?

And the quote boxes are even worse.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostLotan, on 29 March 2011 - 11:50 AM, said:

Too bad the previous ranks were dumped. I likedgoing up the monsters' ladder.

You were almost on top anyway. I liked it, too, but we are on duke4.net, not on duke3.net aren't we? Scrap the word EGO and the grittiness from the bar, then I'm OK with it. Oh, and why not show the number of postings instead of some weird percentage? Hm, the more I think about it, the more I want the monsters back... ;)

View PostLotan, on 29 March 2011 - 11:50 AM, said:

Btw, how does the reputation work? Couldn't find it in the help.

Yeah, explanations, please. Does every single click increase/decrease the counter? That would mean a single user A could boost or kill user B's reputation quite easily.

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

;) ♫ You can't always get what you want... ♫

User is offline   Kathy 

Minus to one post means minus to the overall user's reputation. Also, it seems, there is no sane limit to votes since I downvoted most of the people in this thread. Curious...

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

What would you guys propose be used as a limit? Users currently have a quota of 10 negative points and 50 positive points that can be given within any 24 hour period.

User is offline   Kathy 

It should be even. 10/10 perhaps. Or even 5/5, but that's a stretch*. Especially since there will be more posts once the game is released. But I do strongly suggest closing the possibility to vote for users with less than 50 posts.

Also, is it possible to have a stats on how the user itself was voting? How many + or - he had given.

* Is it possible to have the overall count? For example, one day I will give 7+ and 3-, but the next day - 0+ and 10-.

This post has been edited by Lotan: 30 March 2011 - 11:24 AM

User is offline   Iggy 

Ok, this is going to take time to get used to. Nothing wrong with the old one and I'm not a fan of that side bar in the index at the right. But you can choose to close it I just noticed so.

This post has been edited by Iggy: 30 March 2011 - 11:36 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostLotan, on 30 March 2011 - 11:21 AM, said:

It should be even. 10/10 perhaps. Or even 5/5, but that's a stretch*. Especially since there will be more posts once the game is released. But I do strongly suggest closing the possibility to vote for users with less than 50 posts.

Also, is it possible to have a stats on how the user itself was voting? How many + or - he had given.

* Is it possible to have the overall count? For example, one day I will give 7+ and 3-, but the next day - 0+ and 10-.

Pretty good suggestions. I implemented the thing where users with less than 50 posts can't give anyone reputation points.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostLotan, on 30 March 2011 - 10:10 AM, said:

Minus to one post means minus to the overall user's reputation. Also, it seems, there is no sane limit to votes since I downvoted most of the people in this thread. Curious...

Give back my reputation or I'll start the first downvoting war right away! ;)

Btw., this emoticon needs some tuning: ;)

• I have the power!

A few of the emoticons need some tuning.
;) ;)

OK, maybe just two.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options